• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
lol, harbinger has a queue and my number just keeps going up. That's totally how queues are supposed to work.

kurahador

So how does other expansions work after Fallen Empire release? Do you lose Revan after subscription period is over provided you don't own it before?

Paganmoon

I'm looking for something MMOish to play and returning to Guildwars was not clicking.

I reinstalled SWTOR and am quite lost on what to do and cannot find any returning player guides

I have 2 level 50's (BH and Inquisitor) and would like to continue at least on of their storylines, do I need to buy the expansions?

I would start another character but have horrible memories of having to travel between the planets and space station and endless loading screens

Don't buy the expansions, all of them will be free on the 27:th for subscribers. Also, if you're going to buy game time cards for subscription, don't buy it directly from the SWTor website, the 60 day game card costs more there than it does on Origin (at least in Sweden, 260SEK on SWtor and 159SEK on Origin, and looks to be the same for the US).

Repo Man

Finally finished my class story on the consular and as a reward I got a... Mod ???... No really, I'll have a pimp lightsaber or a cool piece of armour now thanks! Ah well, better then a kick in the teeth I guess.

Quite surprised that EA/Bioware still hasn't sorted out separate maintenance windows for America and EU or the rest of the world, its a bit irritating that I've waited all week to play on my day off and they put the maintenance right in the middle of the day. Guess they're trying to keep costs down or something but still raises an eyebrow since the competitors seem to have it sorted.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So my companions are pretty fucking OP atm :lol

Yeah, it's kind of silly. On the other hand, tank-mode companions are finally not terrible. Khem has a cool leaping attack animation now too.

infi

Yeah I noticed that too. I thought it was because I had 10 influence on HK-51 so I switched to the ship droid who I had 1 influence with and he's still insanely strong, 80k health whilst in healer mode and his heals are pretty powerful.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I finished the first 9 chapters last night, by far the best stuff they've done story wise. Really enjoyed the whole thing.

I avoided spoilers so I was pleasantly surprised at how extensive the Alliance stuff is.

My one big disappointment is that you can't change the outfits for any of the new companions. That's lame.

fenners

I'm totally out of the loop on a lot of SWTOR these days - any good guides to where the various vendors are on the fleet, what they sell, etc?

I've got a ridiculous amount of 'orange' unused gear from cartel packs - am I stuck with it, can I sell it, auction it?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm totally out of the loop on a lot of SWTOR these days - any good guides to where the various vendors are on the fleet, what they sell, etc?

I've got a ridiculous amount of 'orange' unused gear from cartel packs - am I stuck with it, can I sell it, auction it?

If you've worn it you're stuck with it, it's all Bind on Equip. If you haven't worn it you can sell it on the Galactic Trade Network. There is a 36 hour cooldown before you can sell anything you get from a cartel pack.

You can find mods for the orange gear in the Supplies section of the fleet or on the GTN. The vendors are based on level. You can buy them with....I forget the new name, it used to be Basic Comms....whatever the lowest tier data crystal is now.

mileS

So the new Basic com mods (yeah yeah crystals now I know lol) are all green now? Kind of lame considering what you have to do to get the coms to begin with. I assume this change is to push more people to craft leveling up? I guess thats not a bad thing, that is if you actually made enough creds to buy whatever your crafting prof can't make.

The rewards for heroic missions are much improved though. Can't complain there!

Anoregon

So the new Basic com mods (yeah yeah crystals now I know lol) are all green now? Kind of lame considering what you have to do to get the coms to begin with. I assume this change is to push more people to craft leveling up? I guess thats not a bad thing, that is if you actually made enough creds to buy whatever your crafting prof can't make.

The rewards for heroic missions are much improved though. Can't complain there!

For subscribers. They don't even have actual gear rewards for non-subs anymore.

mileS

For subscribers. They don't even have actual gear rewards for non-subs anymore.

Yeah. God this F2P model is just terrible. Everytime I thought about trying it again I would sub. I respect what they are trying to do now overall, so I don't mind paying. Great content.

zugzug

I had a lvl 53 on Voss and about 15_20 ish boes in my inventory patch made them all bound on character same with another character that had a few on another planet had. It gotten back to sell on galactic market I'm a little salty. Even on my brand new Jedi knight T7 companion does more dps than I do. Reading others saying how op companions are and just generally how easy enemy mobs are in game is disappointing.

Yeah, it's pretty hilarious. Before 4.0 champion enemies were pretty much impossible to solo once you hit like level 30, but now you're literally invincible.

swtor2015-10-2210-48-mwo8l.png

I would be utterly shocked if companions didn't get a nerf sometime in the future.

Anoregon

Yeah. God this F2P model is just terrible. Everytime I thought about trying it again I would sub. I respect what they are trying to do now overall, so I don't mind paying. Great content.

I totally get the "they have to make money" angle, but SWTOR is like literally the only game left in the genre that has these sort of hard, binary "sub or get fucked" restrictions that so desperately try to push people into subscribing, and that's what bothers me. The market as a whole has moved beyond it, but EA refuses to catch up. Guild Wars 2, Wildstar, and plenty of other MMO games have adopted models that have no serious gameplay restrictions on non-subscribing players, or at the very least contain the ability to pay for permanent unlocks for everything. A SWTOR player can literally spend hundreds, even thousands of dollars on cartel coins but still have a number of serious restrictions that are entirely unable to be mitigated without a monthly fee, and I find that pretty ridiculous Hell, when the king-of-the-mountain market leader that is WoW gives players the ability to entirely use in-game gold to pay for a sub, then it is probably time for the last remaining also-ran to re-examine their model.

It sometimes feels like EA must be using really flawed metrics or something that cause them to reach the decisions they do, when they rest of the market is moving in the opposite direction.

Anoregon

I blame Ben Ghazi, he's always fucking shit up.

iosefe

need opinions.

i have a level 10 consular just waiting on the fleet for me to actually begin his story. should i play it out or use my free 60 and make a consular, probably a shadow.

i've heard the consular story was moderately boring, but i'm still curious to see how.

basically, save time or experience it anyway?

fenners

If you've worn it you're stuck with it, it's all Bind on Equip. If you haven't worn it you can sell it on the Galactic Trade Network. There is a 36 hour cooldown before you can sell anything you get from a cartel pack.

You can find mods for the orange gear in the Supplies section of the fleet or on the GTN. The vendors are based on level. You can buy them with....I forget the new name, it used to be Basic Comms....whatever the lowest tier data crystal is now.

"Bound to Legacy" - wot's that mean? :)

I rolled a female consular and enjoyed it, it's a bit like a Jedi version of the Imperial Agent where you're the one more behind the scenes manoevering and manipulating events looking at the bigger picture.

infi

I'm not sure whether to go through KOTFE with multiple characters or just focus on one. The idea of raising standing to 20 with all four alliance contacts is not going to be fun. Think I'll do the story on multiple characters but the alliance stuff I'll just pick one character to do it with. At least when I had to do rep grinds before I could do it on any character instead of having to do it separately on each.

need opinions.

i have a level 10 consular just waiting on the fleet for me to actually begin his story. should i play it out or use my free 60 and make a consular, probably a shadow.

i've heard the consular story was moderately boring, but i'm still curious to see how.

basically, save time or experience it anyway?

I enjoyed the consular story so I'd recommend giving it a go. If the story doesn't grab you then make a 60. I don't think making a level 60 will unlock the class buffs for your other characters though nor does it count toward the legendary player thing as it doesn't count as having played through the story.

iosefe

I enjoyed the consular story so I'd recommend giving it a go. If the story doesn't grab you then make a 60. I don't think making a level 60 will unlock the class buffs for your other characters though nor does it count toward the legendary player thing as it doesn't count as having played through the story.

i would probably have to finish Ch1 at least

the real thing is, when i first made this consular, a kind person gave me Revan's robes, chestplate and an endurance crystal, and i don't know if i should maybe use this consular, make a new one to take advantage of the new leveling system, or leave it for a level 60

Moff

I'm not sure whether to go through KOTFE with multiple characters or just focus on one. The idea of raising standing to 20 with all four alliance contacts is not going to be fun.

Standing is the new affection?
what do you get for raising Standing with the new companions?

I finished chapter 6 yesterday and I can't say I lovet he Expansion. it's not bad, but it's just cutscene after cutscene. in between some mob killing in super linear dark Levels.
now the story is not bad, but the Highlight of this game is still Korriban/Dromund Kaas by very far.

infi

Standing is the new affection?
what do you get for raising Standing with the new companions?

I finished chapter 6 yesterday and I can't say I lovet he Expansion. it's not bad, but it's just cutscene after cutscene. in between some mob killing in super linear dark Levels.
now the story is not bad, but the Highlight of this game is still Korriban/Dromund Kaas by very far.

I think its called influence not standing. Raising influence with each companion increases their combat effectiveness and crafting, I don't mind doing that separately for each of my characters though. Influence for companions max at 50.

No major story spoilers below but thought I should put it in spoilers in case people are avoiding anything relating to the expansion.

There are four characters who will join your alliance and not be companions. These four can't join you in combat, have only level 20 max influence and can't be givin companion gifts to raise influence. You need to give them supplies which you get from farming old heroics on the old planets so I'd need to farm old heroics with each character I use and that's not going to be fun. I would have preferred these four to be like reputation and count for your legacy.

Moff

I think its called influence not standing. Raising influence with each companion increases their combat effectiveness and crafting, I don't mind doing that separately for each of my characters though. Influence for companions max at 50.

No major story spoilers below but thought I should put it in spoilers in case people are avoiding anything relating to the expansion.

There are four characters who will join your alliance and not be companions. These four can't join you in combat, have only level 20 max influence and can't be givin companion gifts to raise influence. You need to give them supplies which you get from farming old heroics on the old planets so I'd need to farm old heroics with each character I use and that's not going to be fun. I would have preferred these four to be like reputation and count for your legacy.

why would you want to raise their influence, though, if they can't join you in combat or craft?

infi

why would you want to raise their influence, though, if they can't join you in combat or craft?

They represent parts of your alliance, science, force, military and logistics. Raising influence with makes the buff they give for the heroic flashpoint better but I don't really care about that. I have to raise it because when it comes to alliances and organisations in games I need to max out mine. In Mass Effect 3 I would play the side game and multiplayer to get my alliance score as high as possible on every character even if it didn't make a difference. I just can't stand not having it maxed which I know is my problem not Biowares. If I don't improve the four parts of the alliance to make my alliance stronger it will eat away at me.

Moff

They represent parts of your alliance, science, force, military and logistics. Raising influence with makes the buff they give for the heroic flashpoint better but I don't really care about that. I have to raise it because when it comes to alliances and organisations in games I need to max out mine. In Mass Effect 3 I would play the side game and multiplayer to get my alliance score as high as possible on every character even if it didn't make a difference. I just can't stand not having it maxed which I know is my problem not Biowares. If I don't improve the four parts of the alliance to make my alliance stronger it will eat away at me.

oh, ok, apparentlyI am not far enough into the expansion for those features

Anoregon

Quick question, are all of the creature mounts either raid drops or cartel purchased? I remember there being a questline for the Tauntaun mount, but other than that I don't really know much about them.

Quick question, are all of the creature mounts either raid drops or cartel purchased? I remember there being a questline for the Tauntaun mount, but other than that I don't really know much about them.

Yep, almost all of them. There are a couple you can get from the Rahkghoul event and maybe the bounty event, but they require a lot of grinding. I think there is also a rare, really rare, sleen drop from the Rakata FP.

You're right there are a couple of Tauntaun mounts that you can grind for on Hoth as well.

Anoregon

Yep, almost all of them. There are a couple you can get from the Rahkghoul event and maybe the bounty event, but they require a lot of grinding. I think there is also a rare, really rare, sleen drop from the Rakata FP.

You're right there are a couple of Tauntaun mounts that you can grind for on Hoth as well.

Ok, thanks. I saw on Dufly that there are at least some cool vehicle mounts you can get outside the market and raids. The new Starforge boss apparently has a chance to drop a cool AT-ST looking thing.

It's also crazy how many quests at the higher end reward stronghold decorations. They almost seem like the primary reward mechanism now, lol.

infi

Ok, thanks. I saw on Dufly that there are at least some cool vehicle mounts you can get outside the market and raids. The new Starforge boss apparently has a chance to drop a cool AT-ST looking thing.

It's also crazy how many quests at the higher end reward stronghold decorations. They almost seem like the primary reward mechanism now, lol.

Yeah there does seem to be more decos available, I've run Star Fortress a couple of times and received at least two decos each run through and non were the same.

mileS

On my 50 JK I haven't played for a while. Soo happy they changed the way companion conversations work. I'm on my ship spamming convos catching up. Makes the pacing a little strange but I feel so much more invested in all of them. Have to say its really pulling me in more. Such a great change!

Anoregon

I'm looking forward to doing some bountyhunting and sithing this weekend. I just got to Tat on my Jugg, I wonder how far I can blast through over the next couple of days.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Yep. I feel like the game would get a lot more players and $$$ if the free 2 play was updated. So many pointless restrictions that just drive players away.

Top Bottom