• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Koriandrr

Hey guys,

So I'm a bit lost. I started playing the game again a month ago. For that month (not playing too actively) I lvled 4 chars to 55 for the main story. So, I subbed, obviously, being the best way to play the game for the stories. Now I want to get a little bit more into the actual mmo lol. But I always find myself at loss. I was reading up on the new expansion and I'm still unsure what's new endgame-wise, apart from the whole game UI remodel. Is there a list of patch notes or something? On a side note, the trailer looks amazing and is leading me to believe there's a new faction...?

Repo Man

Companion dialog/storys are no longer tied to affection, but your progress in your class story mission. So, you're going to have quite a bit of dialog and story to go through on your companions, considering you're level 50 and probably finished with your class quest.

Was a smart change as well, as I imagine some companions weren't as popular as others and people ignored them completely.

Yea I thought it might have been something like this, I only used Qyzen on my Consular as he was the tanky type and seemed to work the best so ofcourse I only ever got to experience his story. Thanks to the new changes to companions I've now swapped to the female padawan for a more star warsy master/padawan vibe.

Also, I played at launch got 2 characters to 50 and finished class storylines then dropped the game completely. When I came back (about 2 weeks ago) I went straight to Makeb, and skipped Illum and the other side activities. There's enough content on Makeb to keep you going for a while I'd say, and then Shadow of Revan after that. No idea how the story is on Illum, but I'd imagine there's more "meat" in the expansion storylines.

Been playing for about 2 weeks now, and starting to feel less like a noob now, but still feels a bit awkward with the abilities, not sure if I'm using the right "rotations" or even abilities, and the guides are just way too complicated. But good thing is, with the changes, and solo flashpoints and all, it's not that hard.

I might stick to my original plan and play through the class stories and maybe give Ilum a quick visit too, thinking of playing the game more for the story stuff rather than try and consume content too quick... Unless I get too impatient to experience the more fresh content, which is what usually happens to me.

just ran the Ilum ending flashpoints.

i gained like 3 levels from that. i'm level 5 and haven't even touched Hutt Cartel

I did FE tactical earlier and went from 60 -> 60.99999999 in that one flashpoint! They are literally throwing exp at you.

Though I think the FP needs a little tuning, I did it with 4 dps and we were melting on the bigger trash mobs. Bosses were easy, but they need to tone down the number and ranks in the trash, it was out of control for a tactical.

You sure it didn't just send you on another mission there? Sometimes you backtrack to lower planets.

It looks like I didn't lose progress just my class missions have all disappeared from the mission log. I know what mission I was on and have been trying to get it started again.

I put in a ticket so hopefully if I can't get them back myself they can help me.

Moff

Hey guys,

So I'm a bit lost. I started playing the game again a month ago. For that month (not playing too actively) I lvled 4 chars to 55 for the main story. So, I subbed, obviously, being the best way to play the game for the stories. Now I want to get a little bit more into the actual mmo lol. But I always find myself at loss. I was reading up on the new expansion and I'm still unsure what's new endgame-wise, apart from the whole game UI remodel. Is there a list of patch notes or something? On a side note, the trailer looks amazing and is leading me to believe there's a new faction...?

yes the patchnotes have been posted a few pages back.
however, there is not really new endgame content. they focused on the story campaign for this expansion.

there is 1 new flashpoint and a few more old ones have gotten endgame hard modes, that's it, endgame wise.

Koriandrr

yes the patchnotes have been posted a few pages back.
however, there is not really new endgame content. they focused on the story campaign for this expansion.

there is 1 new flashpoint and a few more old ones have gotten endgame hard modes, that's it, endgame wise.

Ah I see, thanks. I noticed the UI changes, quite like them. Also it feels like there's been an exp boost. And I'm saying that after lvling 3 chars on the 12x. :eek:

Also a lot more companion gifts drops. Loving that you don't need armors for companions now though!

I haven't touched this in forever, but thought about giving it another shot after getting all hyped up by the movie trailer.

Is the 12x XP thing still going on?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
There's one thing about the new leveling experience that I am struggling to understand: The complete removal of commendation gear vendors. It seems like the ONLY thing you can spend coms (data crystals) on now is modifications, which removes the only reliable method of actually getting new orange gear for a leveling character. My level 24 Jugg is on Nar Shadda and I still have a green offhand because there is virtually no way for me to get an orange one due both to that change and the change to heroic mission loot. From what I can tell, all heroics now reward a crate with random armor in it - but that crate is sub only. As a non sub you only get the 2 data crystal reward, making heroics entirely worthless for non-subs.

It's frustrating to see that they would remove the only worthwhile option of actually getting replacement gear while leveling, especially as it seems to relate to yet another boneheaded "sub or gtfo" mechanic. Hopefully things change or I am just missing something, because I do not relish the thought of struggling with certain gear slots that were previously simple to replace thanks to commendation vendors.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, the leveling experience now is definitely the best it has ever been, although it may actually be too easy, at least at low-mid levels, due to how strong companions can be. Healer companions keep you and themselves topped off against multiple elites and tank companions are nigh unkillable.

fenners

So many items returned off my companions, they had to mail them to me. Had to buy another bank just to give me a chance to figure out what I have & what I can try to sell.

Think they didn't really think out the companion buffs all that well. With the extra bonuses players can earn also the companions are just powerhouses and the game's challenge is really diminished.... even if it didn't have much of one in the first place.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a free 60, not sure what class to pick. I'm debating between a Consular and a Sith Warrior, as I don't have one of either yet. Which one would you guys recommend? I hear the Consular story is boring so I may pick that class to skip that story in future but I'd rather play a Sith Warrior.

When you redeem the token, it does warn you that you may lose access to him for part of the story in the new expansion. At least, that's what I read when I redeemed it to free up space... :)
That they do but
he doesn't even show up at all unless I screwed up in my choices.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah I've been doing my recent Juggernaut as mostly Light side. I'm trying a LS inquisitor too. My launch Assassin was full on insane evil guy, but my new sorceror likes having sith force powers but doesn't really buy into the sith philosophy at large and will let people live/be nice just to defy standard sith practice. I'M A REBEL, DOTTIE.

Koriandrr

Yeah I've been doing my recent Juggernaut as mostly Light side. I'm trying a LS inquisitor too. My launch Assassin was full on insane evil guy, but my new sorceror likes having sith force powers but doesn't really buy into the sith philosophy at large and will let people live/be nice just to defy standard sith practice. I'M A REBEL, DOTTIE.

I couldn't... I made a sorc but I went evil, it just feels better lol :D

Both of the Sith stories are pretty great, especially on light side. One thing that kinda bugs me is that the Sith Warrior path kinda tries to nudge you into playing as what amounts to an Imperial Jedi, rather than... a Sith who isn't a dick, but I make due. Threatening to eat a dude and getting light side points for it is probably my favorite moment in the game (though I just started an Agent playthrough a couple of days ago).

Game was updating all day yesterday, but it'll be ready for me when I get off work... super psyched!

Koriandrr

Both of the Sith stories are pretty great, especially on light side. One thing that kinda bugs me is that the Sith Warrior path kinda tries to nudge you into playing as what amounts to an Imperial Jedi, rather than... a Sith who isn't a dick, but I make due. Threatening to eat a dude and getting light side points for it is probably my favorite moment in the game (though I just started an Agent playthrough a couple of days ago).

Game was updating all day yesterday, but it'll be ready for me when I get off work... super psyched!

I'LL USE YOUR BONES AS A TOOTH PICK!

infi

That they do but
he doesn't even show up at all unless I screwed up in my choices.

In Chapter 9 you will get alerts in your companion window (press N to bring it up) Hylo Visz will mention Niko and tell you where you get him. He has no role in the main story that I've seen.

I like the story for this expansion and finally fixing cloaks clipping through mounts is great but not a big fan of the companion influence grind.
Having to enter warzones to recruit a companion is annoying. I don't PvP so I have no PvP gear and I'm just running into groups of enemies and pressing random number keys whilst reading the web on my tablet. From the warzones I've been in a lot of people seem to be doing the same so I can't imagine the people who actually enjoy PvP are happy at the minute.

The best bit of the Sith Warrior story for me was when Baras is raging and shouting and you get the option of saying "I sense you anger master"

Paganmoon

Uhm, isn't using pre-paid game time considered being a subscriber? I don't seem to have access to knights of the fallen empire. I redeemd the code on the 11:th so was prior to the cutoffpoint for the early access right?

Uhm, isn't using pre-paid game time considered being a subscriber? I don't seem to have access to knights of the fallen empire. I redeemd the code on the 11:th so was prior to the cutoffpoint for the early access right?

Early access required you be eligible for all the "preorder" bonuses. So you had to be subbed for like 5 months or whatever.

At least that's how I think it was.

iosefe

had to have been subscribed long enough to gain all for Early Access incentives

Anoregon

I've seen a few threads on the official forums relating to my earlier post about how getting gear on leveling chars is shitty now due to the removal of virtually all gear vendors pre-60 - Nice to see that I'm not the only person who finds that choice pretty dumb. Some people mentioned that the fleet does still at least have vendors that sell level 8 (orange?) class gear. Do any of you guys know where these dudes are, and does the Sith Warrior one sell an orange focus?

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen a few threads on the official forums relating to my earlier post about how getting gear on leveling chars is shitty now due to the removal of virtually all gear vendors pre-60 - Nice to see that I'm not the only person who finds that choice pretty dumb. Some people mentioned that the fleet does still at least have vendors that sell level 8 (orange?) class gear. Do any of you guys know where these dudes are, and does the Sith Warrior one sell an orange focus?

They're on the fleet where all the commendation vendors are... but are the other ones all gone or something? When I was leveling characters with the 12x boost I'd just go to the fleet every 10 or so levels and buy a whole new set of mods for my gear. Is that no longer an option?

edit: also why is this game still such a technical mess? It doesn't even run at a consistent 60fps on my 980 GTX Ti. I can run MGSV at 4k 60 fps for pete's sake.

Anoregon

They're on the fleet where all the commendation vendors are... but are the other ones all gone or something? When I was leveling characters with the 12x boost I'd just go to the fleet every 10 or so levels and buy a whole new set of mods for my gear. Is that no longer an option?

There are still mod vendors, but there are no more gear vendors. The mod vendors now only sell greens, but everything (including hilts/armoring) is only 2 comms. Since you get comms out the wazoo and have literally nothing to spend them on while leveling other than mods (due to the removal of gear vendors), the fact that you get so many comms is essentially meaningless.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There are still mod vendors, but there are no more gear vendors. The mod vendors now only sell greens, but everything (including hilts/armoring) is only 2 comms. Since you get comms out the wazoo and have literally nothing to spend them on while leveling other than mods (due to the removal of gear vendors), the fact that you get so many comms is essentially meaningless.

So that doesn't really change anything for me, as I'd always use some orange gear from the cartel market or buy some from the AH. Cosmetic gear with mod slots is dirt cheap if you don't go for the super rare stuff.

Anoregon

So that doesn't really change anything for me, as I'd always use some orange gear from the cartel market or buy some from the AH. Cosmetic gear with mod slots is dirt cheap if you don't go for the super rare stuff.

Right, and if worse comes to worse I have a full suit of orange pilot gear on any char I make and I can just use the outfit thing to look how I want. I've just run into a specific issue on my Jugg due to not having any method of acquiring an orange offhand focus to throw mods into, unless the rumored level 7-8 gear vendor on the fleet has one.

Gothos

Did they remove those small companions portraits that popped up when they approved/disapproved my choices? Now there's only shorts sentence without the portrait.

Mordeccai

Right, and if worse comes to worse I have a full suit of orange pilot gear on any char I make and I can just use the outfit thing to look how I want. I've just run into a specific issue on my Jugg due to not having any method of acquiring an orange offhand focus to throw mods into, unless the rumored level 7-8 gear vendor on the fleet has one.

Some of the planet story missions (not class) will give you offhand items like focus and shield. One offhand item being under leveled won't impact you really at all. My suggestion is to do some of the planetary missions and get your upgrade that way.

Paganmoon

So with waiting for the expansion, can't decide if I should do the prelude now or wait till I can get some XP out of it, and do Makeb and Shadow of Revan with the Jedi Knight instead. hmm.

infi

So with waiting for the expansion, can't decide if I should do the prelude now or wait till I can get some XP out of it, and do Makeb and Shadow of Revan with the Jedi Knight instead. hmm.

The expansion gives out far more experience than you'll need. I hit 65 long before chapter 9.

In Chapter 9 you will get alerts in your companion window (press N to bring it up) Hylo Visz will mention Niko and tell you where you get him. He has no role in the main story that I've seen.
Ah okay. I thought I missed him somewhere along the way.
Did they remove those small companions portraits that popped up when they approved/disapproved my choices? Now there's only shorts sentence without the portrait.
They did. You can't lose influence with companions now, only gain it.
edit: also why is this game still such a technical mess? It doesn't even run at a consistent 60fps on my 980 GTX Ti. I can run MGSV at 4k 60 fps for pete's sake.
That's what happens when BioWare Austin develops the game with an incomplete and unoptimized Hero Engine. They do tweaks here and there but it won't fix the bad performance.

Mordeccai

*shrug* my 980ti destroys this game at 1440p 60 frames. Haven't had an issue for the week I've been back. My card doesn't even hit 60 degrees Celsius while playing.

Load times are much much better with an SSD as well. When I played years ago they were the bane of my existence

Aw man finally going to get to this and apparently my subscription declined due to an invalid exp date on my card, and I never was notified. I've been not getting any coins or any of the subscriber rewards for FE :(

I've only had a quick blast since the new patch, but I'm sure I've seen 'Khem Val disapproves' pop up. Is that just for flavour now, then?
Not sure for classic companions but the new ones do actually call back to choices you make during the expansion. So while you're gaining influence with a companion they may still dislike you for what you do.

Moff

I thought you can still give companions different gear just for the looks? or is this not possible for the new ones from fallen empire?
I can just give them different weapons

Anoregon

I found the level 8 gear vendor on the fleet, and he does indeed have orange offhands. So I am placated on that front at least!

antonz

Have to say I really enjoy the new direction. Its a shame there will be the initial gap until the monthly roll out starts but the stuff so far is great and the support cast is entertaining even the ones who aren't companions

Mordeccai

The heroics are decent XP too. Earlier today I was playing, I had pulled two packs in a heroic zone accidentally but my healer Kira kept me alive while I fought five gold mobs and a silver one. I was in combat for literally 4 minutes just slowly dpsing them down.

It's honestly a bit ridiculous. Her influence is up to 15 and nothing can touch me. Or when she's in damage mode, I sometimes just command her to attack a pack and watch the fireworks. Waiting for the inevitable nerf, but until then I will abuse the hell out of this lol.

Dunlop

I'm looking for something MMOish to play and returning to Guildwars was not clicking.

I reinstalled SWTOR and am quite lost on what to do and cannot find any returning player guides

I have 2 level 50's (BH and Inquisitor) and would like to continue at least on of their storylines, do I need to buy the expansions?

I would start another character but have horrible memories of having to travel between the planets and space station and endless loading screens

iosefe

I'm looking for something MMOish to play and returning to Guildwars was not clicking.

I reinstalled SWTOR and am quite lost on what to do and cannot find any returning player guides

I have 2 level 50's (BH and Inquisitor) and would like to continue at least on of their storylines, do I need to buy the expansions?

I would start another character but have horrible memories of having to travel between the planets and space station and endless loading screens

you should definitely invest in the 40 dollar amazon pack

90 days of sub time, nice bit of coins, and all expansions

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T8NURF8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom