• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yep. I feel like the game would get a lot more players and $$$ if the free 2 play was updated. So many pointless restrictions that just drive players away.

Word. I know it can be hard to strike the right balance, because its hard to find the right point between a system that compels free players to spend money on the game because they like it versus making free players feel like they really need to spend money (or in this case, sub) because there is so much they are missing out on. But SWTOR has always been a good deal too far towards the latter end imo, and with most of the major recent games in the mmo space that are F2P (or cheaply B2P) being much more generous, it is a pretty noticeable outlier.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
AuxerJn.jpg

made a new char with my friend

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
hahah awesome names, just lol'd

BTW, was there a NYCC cantina code? I think there was but I missed it.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
yo so if my buddies sub on say october 30th, will they get access to all of KotFE, or do they need to be subbed before the 26th?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Welp, all my friends used my referral link to play Makeb as a group, and then we found out you don't get Makeb with the fake sub. So they all went and real subbed, they got their 500 coins, their welcome to RotHC mail... but they cannot access the Makeb mission from the mission terminal. Anyone encounter this or have any ideas? Seems like they are now real subs, but the Makeb mission start is just nowhere to be found.

This fucking game man.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Welp, all my friends used my referral link to play Makeb as a group, and then we found out you don't get Makeb with the fake sub. So they all went and real subbed, they got their 500 coins, their welcome to RotHC mail... but they cannot access the Makeb mission from the mission terminal. Anyone encounter this or have any ideas? Seems like they are now real subs, but the Makeb mission start is just nowhere to be found.

This fucking game man.

You start the mission on your ship. You need to be 47 I think.

Yeah I know, they can't get it from their ship. Apparently some people are saying you have to be 51 for makeb now? Not sure though.

Were you friends ever subs? I'm not sure if Makeb is available to people who have never been subs but are using the 7 day ref.

If it is 51 now, get together with them and do a tact. FP, they should be almost 51 by the time you finish! XP rains from the sky now.

Mordeccai

Where in the world do I go to start solo mode flashpoints. I went to mission departures, but all of those terminals gave me the lvl 65 group tuned flashpoints.

Where in the world do I go to start solo mode flashpoints. I went to mission departures, but all of those terminals gave me the lvl 65 group tuned flashpoints.

Not all FP have a solo mode. Esseles, Black Talon, Boarding Party, Taral V, Maelstrom, Foundry, Directive 7, BOI and FE do, along with the newer alliance stuff. No Hammer, Athiss etc...

Talk to the quest giver at the door and select solo.

Mordeccai

Not all FP have a solo mode. Esseles, Black Talon, Boarding Party, Taral V, Maelstrom, Foundry, Directive 7, BOI and FE do, along with the newer alliance stuff. No Hammer, Athiss etc...

Talk to the quest giver at the door and select solo.

Ahh cheers friend, gonna run one of these real quick before I go to bed.

-Digits-

Yeah I know, they can't get it from their ship. Apparently some people are saying you have to be 51 for makeb now? Not sure though.

Might be. My 48 Shadow had started the questline and was on Makeb prior to the update. After the update I lost access to it and it wants me to go to Quesh. I went to Makeb to see if there was an npc to talk to or something to restart the questline but couldn't find anything.

My 50 Assassin is still on Makeb though.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Anyone ever have or notice this graphical glitch where dark robes/capes have these purple splotches (pixels?) covering some spots? Looks really bad and is most notable on the revan reborn robes when standing in light. Just suddenly started happening a couple days ago, which is weird, and I thought it might have been a graphics driver/error on my end, but my friends were seeing it too. I also reinstalled SWTOR and my graphics drivers and the splotches were still there. Weird thing too is that it's only out in the world, the purple shit is gone on the main menu character screen and in cut scenes.

Any known or suggested fixes?

mileS

Going through Makeb for the second time. I dont remember hating it this much the first time. What a boring laggy planet. Story is garbage too.

Haven't tried Revan yet. Please tell me it's better!

Syf

Banned
Going through Makeb for the second time. I dont remember hating it this much the first time. What a boring laggy planet. Story is garbage too.

Haven't tried Revan yet. Please tell me it's better!
I liked Shadow of Revan a lot more than all the Makeb stuff.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on makeb too with my Knight and it's a slog. Framerate sucks, story is whatever. I started KOTFE with my free 60 but without knowing wtf happened on Ziost, which is referred to all the time, or knowing who Lana Beniko is, I feel like I should go back and finish the previous content first.

Paganmoon

I'm on makeb too with my Knight and it's a slog. Framerate sucks, story is whatever. I started KOTFE with my free 60 but without knowing wtf happened on Ziost, which is referred to all the time, or knowing who Lana Beniko is, I feel like I should go back and finish the previous content first.

Isn't Ziost the prelude missions for KotFE? You skipped those as well?

Anyway from the little I know of KotFE, I think Shadow of Revan is pretty vital to the story.

-Digits-

Used my free 60 and did the first 3 chapters of KotFE. I'm impressed with it so far. The story is interesting and the cutscenes are good. If they can keep this up I can see myself staying subbed for a while.

infi

Two major characters for KOTFE are introduced in the Revan expansion so you should do that one. Makeb hasn't really had much referenced in KOTFE outside a minor character from the republic Makeb story. Ziost basically just follows on from the Revan expansion and is only a small planet that won't take long to do and involves the two characters introduced in the Revan storyline. Ziost also involves the emperor and deals with why you are out in Wild space in the first place.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Ziost the prelude missions for KotFE? You skipped those as well?

Anyway from the little I know of KotFE, I think Shadow of Revan is pretty vital to the story.

When you make a level 60 character, it immediately dumps you into KOTFE. You don't even get a choice.

I'm level 56 on my Knight, I could just abandon whatever's left of Makeb and start Revan.

I don't know what it is but I'm having a hard time finding groups that can complete Tacticals.

Yeah they can be nasty now. Really, really helps to have a healer. It's OK if you are all around 55-65 but throw in a couple of subs 20's with their limited abilities, no procs, no DCs, no interrupts etc... and they can fall apart fast!

Haven't failed one yet but the final boss of Taral V took 5 attempts with 2 tanks and 2 low level DPS. Without cleanse, the boss throws a DOT that takes 2 med consoles out of the 3 to heal through everytime. If you can't click on them, you die! Ended with my tank and the other tank slowly wearing him down, dropping every DC while the DPS humped it back from the respawn point.

Did another with 4 DPS and none of us wanted to pull on the larger trash groups as we knew we'd be the one to melt! Had to LOS trash pulls around pillars in a tactical.

infi

With the expansion launching this week I had totally forgotten it was Bounty week

I don't know what it is but I'm having a hard time finding groups that can complete Tacticals.

Apparently Flashpoints are a lot harder since 4.0 hit. Not sure if it's intended or poor balance but a lot of 4.0 seems poorly balanced.

I got into a group that couldn't get past the first group of trash on Cademimu. Too many new players injected into the game, on top of not having all their abilities since they're low level and scaled up. It makes for a bad experience. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to clear a flashpoint yet...

You pretty much HAVE to do guild runs, or run with friends, or something.

iosefe

I got into a group that couldn't get past the first group of trash on Cademimu. Too many new players injected into the game, on top of not having all their abilities since they're low level and scaled up. It makes for a bad experience. Come to think of it, I haven't been able to clear a flashpoint yet...

You pretty much HAVE to do guild runs, or run with friends, or something.
They are apparently tougher

Ran with 3 guild members last night on Rishi and they agreed it was tougher and they hit harder

Moff

"finished" the new content and I am not very pleased

the story content is kind of a drag honestly.
the storymode is not bad, but not great either
biggest problem is, that is does not feel like an RPG or an MMO at all.
it's mostly super linear tunnels filled with mobs. the leveldesign reminds of cinematic action games like uncharted, only you do it with poor MMO gameplay, it doesn't really work.
it has a few open areas, but next to no sidequests, nothing worth exploring and honestly not very pretty enviroments either. at this point I am not even sure if I want to get my other characters to 65.

I am not really sure what their plan is with this expansion. I think it's very bad for attracting new players. if they go straight to 60 they definitely miss the best parts of the game and are directly confronted with what I described above, which is by no means the "full bioware experience" they promised. I know there will be more chapters, but I doubt they game will stop being linear. it will never open up which is what I expect from a proper RPG. so I think new players will probably not stick around.

and old players like me?
after the storymode you get the alliance mode, which is basically a very good idea. I love how you are encouraged to do old heroic missions, this game has so much content and I always loved when they gave us a reason to revisit old planets and old content, just like they did with conquests and the decorations.
star fortresses are nice, too, but the problem is that both is really only pre-endgame, and after a week or two tops the only way to really do anything anymore is pvp and operations. and there is 0 new content there, and I am not interested in just getting better gear. for what, old content? so for me, as an old player, this will very likely be the expansion I play the least.

so, all in all, while I welcome them trying something different, I just don't see for what players this really works out.

There's some great story beats, but the gameplay is a serious drag. I just went through the precise same combat encounter 6 or 7 times in a row. It's unending. The bossfights are pretty good, but ye gods the mobs.

Again, though, some seriously on-point writing on display.

infi

There's some great story beats, but the gameplay is a serious drag. I just went through the precise same combat encounter 6 or 7 times in a row. It's unending. The bossfights are pretty good, but ye gods the mobs.

Again, though, some seriously on-point writing on display.

I like the story well enough but found the boss fights way too easy. The heroic star fortress missions are a decent difficulty at the moment and are pretty fun to do solo.

I like the expansion but there's not enough to keep me occupied and not much reply value so I don't really want to take my alts through it. Right now my sub ends at the end of november so I'll farm alliance rep and heroic star fortress till then and cancel my account until the final chapter of KOTFE comes out unless something more gets added to the gameplay in the meant time.

Slight companion spoilers
I do like the amount of companions we get now, could have done with some of the bounty hunter companions being in the story but oh well. I'm currently running around with the jedi who is a flat head alien from kotor 2. I'm surprised the guy doesn't chop his own head off with his lightsaber.

They pretty much expect the replay-ability to be from the old content that's been tweaked and updated.

The linear nature of it all just kinda falls in line with the quick turn around for MMO work. To put so much content for a story in the game and make an open rpg experience with any length to it was not going to happen without a big paid for expansion

Anoregon

I just did a bounty event daily on a char and got 3 levels...

DrBo42

Is it possible to go back and do the story on a level 60 starting character? Or at the very least can I do the Revan story? I have Chapter 4 and Chapter 4 interlude available on the ship at the moment.

Is it possible to go back and do the story on a level 60 starting character? Or at the very least can I do the Revan story? I have Chapter 4 and Chapter 4 interlude available on the ship at the moment.
Is that on your instant 60 character? I know they keep saying you can't do any of that stuff once you start the Fallen Empire storyline.

DrBo42

Is that on your instant 60 character? I know they keep saying you can't do any of that stuff once you start the Fallen Empire storyline.

Yeah, instant 60. Is it just when you start the Fallen Empire story you can't go back? So I should be able to do Revan now before the story is unlocked for me on the 27th?

antonz

I just did a bounty event daily on a char and got 3 levels...

The leveling is hilarious out of wack. I had a Sith Warrior I stopped at the end of Makeb at 55. Started doing Revan and I'm not done with Rishi yet only doing the story missions no side stuff and already level 62. Ill be 65 before I even finish revan expansion let alone start Knights

infi

Yeah, instant 60. Is it just when you start the Fallen Empire story you can't go back? So I should be able to do Revan now before the story is unlocked for me on the 27th?

I don't think insta 60's can do Revan or class quests. They do seem to be able to do the Hutt Cartel according to some people.

A friend and I have just got back in to do the 50+ content, and I have a couple of questions:

1. We are lvl 56 now. Is there a way for us to do the lvl 50+ story Flashpoints and Operations to catch up with those storylines without having to get a full party / raid together?

2. Are the Macrobinoc / Seeker droid quests worth doing for story value?

mileS

Is there a way to see some of the choices I made during my class story after I finish it? I'm asking because I'm coming back to my 55 Sniper and I can't remember which ending I got exactly. In the end It doesn't matter much but I'm curious.

2. Are the Macrobinoc / Seeker droid quests worth doing for story value?

The final heroic quests are great but it can be hard to find people to do them, the rest of the quest line is pretty boring filler work though. There is also reportedly an Easter egg in the new 4.0 pack if you complete the quests.

Paganmoon

Is there a way to see some of the choices I made during my class story after I finish it? I'm asking because I'm coming back to my 55 Sniper and I can't remember which ending I got exactly. In the end It doesn't matter much but I'm curious.

I haven't found such a thing myself. There really is a lack of a log for your prior quests all in all. But give it time. they might add it in a few years.

Gothos

Locking blue weapons behind digital expansions is BULLSHIT. And why the heck The Hammer Station boss dropped a freaking Assault Gun when I'm playing Bounty Hunter.

BioWare...

Top Bottom