• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Mordeccai

Why are the damn patch notes in german even though I've only ever used the english version of the site, and the selection at the top is clearly placed on EN.

Ki0PD46.gif
Ki0PD46.gif

squadr0n

How far into the game does the expansion start? If I start a new character how long into the game will I have to play until I can get to the new story content? I havent played since it went free to play and I kind of want to see what has changed in the beginning.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How far into the game does the expansion start? If I start a new character how long into the game will I have to play until I can get to the new story content? I havent played since it went free to play and I kind of want to see what has changed in the beginning.

It is new end game content. It's after everything that existed prior to it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I'm not sure how long the new leveling takes since it was slowed down a bit from the 12x XP we had but I would guess maybe 25-30 hours until you reach the newest expansion? It all depends on play style and whether you skip cutscenes or not.

DrBo42

Really liking the story in this expansion so far. Feels like a proper return to KOTOR but fails to figure out a way to blend that with an MMO.

Hey getting back into this after quite awhile of not playing is there a GafServer/Guild for Empire side? If not any good server recommendations for Empire.

Repo Man

So I'm 55 and around half way through the Makeb storyline and I'm sat here wondering if its worth finishing it ? I have the prelude and starter quests for Shadows of Revan in my ships mission terminal but they say that I may wan't to finish the previous storylines first due to "spoilers". This is all well and cool but I'm afraid I'd out level KotFE even before I'd get to it and I kinda prefer to do new content when and as its appropriate to my level.

In other words, finish makeb for the story or just hit Revan ( and later on ) KotFE asap ?

Moff

So I'm 55 and around half way through the Makeb storyline and I'm sat here wondering if its worth finishing it ? I have the prelude and starter quests for Shadows of Revan in my ships mission terminal but they say that I may wan't to finish the previous storylines first due to "spoilers". This is all well and cool but I'm afraid I'd out level KotFE even before I'd get to it and I kinda prefer to do new content when and as its appropriate to my level.

In other words, finish makeb for the story or just hit Revan ( and later on ) KotFE asap ?
KOTFE has very little actual gameplay and you level very fast so I don't think you should worry about your level, it's not important.

however, makeb is really bad and had next to nothing important in it, storywise. skip to revan.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I don't think there's a GAF guild for Empire currently. The most populated server is The Harbinger.

Awesome thanks!

I'm on Harby Empire in a guild called Action News. It was pretty much the first invite I accepted after asking for a decent sized guild with an active guild chat. It's got people to shoot the shit with and 10% xp bonus which is all I care about, but I think there are also a decent amount of higher level folks that actually do ops and shit.

Patryn

I fell off the game for a while, and then logged back in last night to check out some of the changes.

So, uh.... some of my companions are now naked? Was there some bug where companion gear didn't transfer over?

Anoregon

I fell off the game for a while, and then logged back in last night to check out some of the changes.

So, uh.... some of my companions are now naked? Was there some bug where companion gear didn't transfer over?

It should all be in your inventory or in the mail.

Makeb was cool when it came out cause it was new content and two unique stories to play through, but now it really stands out as being just a big side story that doesn't fit with the rest of the games flow.

Anoregon

BTW, have any of you guys leveled a merc as Innovative Ordinance spec? I have a new merc and I might give it a try since I've pretty much only played Arsenal. You get thermal detonator pretty early on now, so that's fun.

Paganmoon

Haha, the warnings for KotFE starting mission is making me question starting it, like I'm about to destroy something, geez, they went over the top with the warnings.

If you've done all your class/companion quests it shouldn't even pop up imo.

Edit: Hehe, so I send Kira away, just to be instantly greeted by another character voiced by Laura Bailey, man that cracked me up.

infi

Haha, the warnings for KotFE starting mission is making me question starting it, like I'm about to destroy something, geez, they went over the top with the warnings.

If you've done all your class/companion quests it shouldn't even pop up imo.

Edit: Hehe, so I send Kira away, just to be instantly greeted by another character voiced by Laura Bailey, man that cracked me up.

The terminal to get your old companions back has warnings pop up too.

"Doing this will blah blah blah. Are you sure you want to do it?"

Well I was sure before I clicked it but now I don't know.

Rizzi

Tentative yes? Credit drops and rewards have been dramatically reduced though.

Fast, super fast. You can easily get buy on only doing the purple quests, class and planetary story. Throw in a few heroics for gear with the OP comps and you'll fly.

Oh cool.
Maybe I'll reinstall after all.

Rizzi

I was kind of hoping that they would have fixed whatever it is that causes my framerate to plummet in that big 4.0 patch.
They didn't.
:(

Paganmoon

I was kind of hoping that they would have fixed whatever it is that causes my framerate to plummet in that big 4.0 patch.
They didn't.
:(

Tried setting shadowmaps to the lowest setting (1024)? That setting totally fucked with my framerate, specially in cutscenes. Everything else is set to max, and runs smoothly at 70-100 FPS (this game is still so poorly optimized, framerate shouldn't fluctuate like this, with the shadowmaps setting, it could jump between stead 100's to low 20's)

To continue on my rant, running a Core i7 6700k stock speed, DDR4@3200Mhz, Crossfired AMD 7970's, and getting a CPU Utilization of 20% and GPU utilization (on both cards) of around 70-80%, and still the framerate fluctuates. Thanks hero engine!

Rizzi

Tried setting shadowmaps to the lowest setting (1024)? That setting totally fucked with my framerate, specially in cutscenes. Everything else is set to max, and runs smoothly at 70-100 FPS (this game is still so poorly optimized, framerate shouldn't fluctuate like this, with the shadowmaps setting, it could jump between stead 100's to low 20's)

To continue on my rant, running a Core i7 6700k stock speed, DDR4@3200Mhz, Crossfired AMD 7970's, and getting a CPU Utilization of 20% and GPU utilization (on both cards) of around 70-80%, and still the framerate fluctuates. Thanks hero engine!

Yeah, I've tried that.

mileS

Also make sure to set shadow map cascades to medium (only 2 options sadly for this) That gave me a decent boost. Other than that some things can't be fixed... The engine is terrible and even if you get 70-100 fps most of the time there will always be lock-ups and hitches.

I swear to god if this game had a slightly better performing engine I would have stuck around playing for way longer. It's usually why I end up quitting every single time. Great framerates for the most part, can deal with 30's and 40s when it gets heavy... but then randomly hitches up and locks up loading new area's or npcs. I could rant for hours about how much I hate this engine.

One thing I stumbled upon recently that helped quite a bit, is the Razer Cortex program. It basically frees up RAM and closes programs that don't need to be open while playing a game. What a fantastic little program! Game hitches up way less now but there's still some really bad points. But again there's not a thing you can do because this is one of the worst game engines of all time.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
what? no, they have never been.
professions take much less effort

People have told me they can be very costly to become profitable (level up and get schematics I guess), and even then, on some servers you come close to breaking even? Specifically with regards to advanced augments. What are some good $$$ professions, and easy stuff to sell?

Also it feels like slicing lockbox missions are still never worth it? Sent three out last night, got one failure, and two with a net lose of like 10k lol... Is there a chance at a jackpot or something or are slicing lockboxes still ultra nerfed because of vanilla?

Moff

People have told me they can be very costly to become profitable (level up and get schematics I guess), and even then, on some servers you come close to breaking even? Specifically with regards to advanced augments. What are some good $$$ professions, and easy stuff to sell?

Also it feels like slicing lockbox missions are still never worth it? Sent three out last night, got one failure, and two with a net lose of like 10k lol... Is there a chance at a jackpot or something or are slicing lockboxes still ultra nerfed because of vanilla?

silcing is the key to becoming rich but certainly not lockboxes, whoever told you that was making fun of you
you do the missions for the sliced tech parts, on crits those will award you adaptive circuity

adaptive circuity are the key components for all augmentations, the only gear slot (in every slot) that can *only* be crafted. with the adaptive circuity alone you make enough money to be well off.

however, if you truly want to become rich you also make the augmentations yourself, I just made 2 millions today with next to 0 effort, 8 million so far this week.

of course it's especially lucrative after a new level cap raise, but even after that, SWTOR is a very alt friendly game, people will always need augmentations

mileS

I'm 450 in Biochem and Bioanalysis. Should I drop my Diplomacy (which is really low, like 10 or something) for Slicing? Level that up and use some of the mats to send to an armstech alt? I'd like to start getting my cred flow up.

Moff

I'm 450 in Biochem and Bioanalysis. Should I drop my Diplomacy (which is really low, like 10 or something) for Slicing? Level that up and use some of the mats to send to an armstech alt? I'd like to start getting my cred flow up.

I have diplomacy on my main (my main is always an alchemist) and if you raid a lot it's nice to be able to create stims/adrenals yourself. I don't think it's good for making money, though. at least on my server supply is higher than demand, and since bioware completely messed up professions since the launch of the game I don't expect them to ever change anything so I'd say slicing will stay king for making money, but who knows.

Knox

I played a character to level 34 a few months ago during the 12x experience boost, now I'm starting to play again and I guess that's gone now? I really liked just doing the class missions, how much more will I need to do to keep pace? Is it back to doing everything or is it still pretty fast?

Bloodember

I played a character to level 34 a few months ago during the 12x experience boost, now I'm starting to play again and I guess that's gone now? I really liked just doing the class missions, how much more will I need to do to keep pace? Is it back to doing everything or is it still pretty fast?
You have to do class and the main planet missions now.

mileS

After leveling 2 characters to level 30 since 4.0 I haven't had to touch a single planetary mission or side quest. Pop one of the xp buffs you get from a quest rewards. Have one or 2 story legacy class xp things (cheap) and well I'm subbed.

Not sure if that changes much past 30 but it feels exactly the same as 12x xp for me lol.

Paganmoon

So I'm up to chapter 4 on KotFE with my Jedi Knight, and enjoying it so far, though it feels like they sort of tried to push a reset button in regards to much of the story prior to it.

It's also almost only solo so far which is great imo. Though it was a bit jarring when you suddenly in chapter 3 go out of your own instance and see tons of people running around, just to go into another instance. Really didn't understand the point of it. might as well just keep it all solo?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
God, trying to level synthweaving/scavenging/underworld trading from scratch and it feels awful, especially cause it's on an alt that I'm not always playing. Is there some website or mobile app that you can do crew skills on?

Moff

God, trying to level synthweaving/scavenging/underworld trading from scratch and it feels awful, especially cause it's on an alt that I'm not always playing. Is there some website or mobile app that you can do crew skills on?

haha, no
an app would be great, I wanted that since launch actually, I think it would work easily with the profession window
but no, there is no such thing

DrBo42

When the game first came out I logged into my computer from work using teamviewer and did crew skills that way.

Paganmoon

Really can't wrap my head around KotFE. 95% of it is instanced, which makes me wonder why they even bothered to have uninstanced parts. They could've very well just made them instanced, so you don't see 10 other people with identical T7's running around, pressing the same buttons, killing the same mobs. Sure it's a tiny part of the expansion (so far), but I just don't get what they're trying to do here. And personally I'd have loved to not see any other players running around.

I'm at Chapter 9 now, and all of a sudden, the dialog UI has changed into KotOR like UI, no longer the circle for the choices. Feels disjointed as hell.

Edit: Ok, in-game it's called "classic conversations" haha, holy shit, what a way to spin "we cheaped out on VA work".

Moff

Really can't wrap my head around KotFE. 95% of it is instanced, which makes me wonder why they even bothered to have uninstanced parts. They could've very well just made them instanced, so you don't see 10 other people with identical T7's running around, pressing the same buttons, killing the same mobs. Sure it's a tiny part of the expansion (so far), but I just don't get what they're trying to do here.

it's obviously an attempt to make it look like an RPG/MMO instead of a completely linear tunnel leading from one cinematic to another. doesn't work, though.

Really can't wrap my head around KotFE. 95% of it is instanced, which makes me wonder why they even bothered to have uninstanced parts. They could've very well just made them instanced, so you don't see 10 other people with identical T7's running around, pressing the same buttons, killing the same mobs. Sure it's a tiny part of the expansion (so far), but I just don't get what they're trying to do here. And personally I'd have loved to not see any other players running around.

I'm at Chapter 9 now, and all of a sudden, the dialog UI has changed into KotOR like UI, no longer the circle for the choices. Feels disjointed as hell.

Edit: Ok, in-game it's called "classic conversations" haha, holy shit, what a way to spin "we cheaped out on VA work".

It's them trying to turn the game into something else ontop of an established framework. And obviously being done on a budget since this is not a big paid for expansion or anything. At the same time you have people complaining about the exact opposite of how this expansion and new direction completely is ruining the MMO aspect of the game.

This was never going to be perfect since they have obvious budget restrictions, they can only do so much without making this a big paid for expansion project. Can't really fault them for the limits of what they have done, but at the same time I think their idea for KotfE were a bit too ambitious in just adding this content and change in direction without charging for it.

it's obviously an attempt to make it look like an RPG/MMO instead of a completely linear tunnel leading from one cinematic to another. doesn't work, though.

That's what the game has technically always been, only difference before was that you were forced into doing side quest content so the world was made more open and larger to fit the side content in. Now that there is next to no side content in the new story, it's just further streamlined.

If you play through the game currently from the start with the new XP system in place, its essentially that, just you going from instance to instance story content since you have no need to do anything else anymore.

Top Bottom