• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Draxal

Yeah, mid control and the initial offensive/defensive ramps are where Snipers generally roam. They're pretty much the best class for it though. Entrench is amazing for Huttball.

As good as entrench is, just having the base ability of not being able to be charged makes is so much better then a merc at roaming mid (snare also helps a ton).

I think snipers are perfectly balanced for huttball, while some of the classes are def op (jugg/sorc) or underpowered (mercs/ops).

Just playing on my 42 balance sage the sheer amount of ablities that it has to win huttball (force speed/rescue/sever force) that just wins games compared to the commando (whose good huttball abilites ... the sage also has), is just kinda annoying. I just drop any huttball matches I'm in on my commando.

Alur

So I guess this is an L2P issue and I need some advice.

My main is a level 50 healing operative on The Red Eclipse (transferred from Kellian Jarro). I've been a healing operative since I started playing the game in January (this is actually the first character I rolled) so I'm not a FOTM - this is also my only 50. I love PvP. I rock in the Civil War, in Novare Coast and my favourite is Voidstar (although I hate the new divider). I'm one piece away from full augmented war hero (the missing piece is augmented Battlemaster) with a mix of the Blue/Purple skill augments.

I royally suck in Huttball.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I have no mobility. I'm pulled, I'm pushed, I'm knocked into the fire, into acid, off the ledge. Every other class seems to be able to run faster or leap or pull/push. My trick is stealth which is close to useless (as I'm always stuck in combat). I get a couple of heals off and then I'm either insta-gibbed into a hazard or destined for the slow, sprintless run back up from the pit.

Possibilities I see:

1) Lurk at the goal line.

Every other class can see me a mile away in stealth -> instant death. Also, sod's law means that when I do this, the ball never goes near that end.

2) Lurk on the rampart around the centre and heal the ball carrier.

If I lurk on our side, I don't get time to cast a heal before the carrier is out of range before I die. If I lurk on their side, then either I'm insta-gibbed (see 1) or else some muppet throws the ball to me and I'm the worst ball carrier ever.

3) Most successful - lurk on the ramp on their side (next to the acid pit). I can heal the ball carrier for a while. This only really works with an organised team as I'm even more exposed than 2).

None of this is good, and I never feel better than a liability for my team. This makes me think that what we have here is an EBKAC (error between keyboard and chair) and I need to L2P.

So what am I supposed to do guys? What is my role in Huttball?

Edit - I should point out that this is not my only character and I love Huttball on most of my alts. I just can't work out what I'm supposed to do on my main.

My main is a sorc healer (full WH), and my "new" main is an operative healer (4 WH pieces).

First, regardless of solo or group queue, I run with the ball carrier. Preferably a few yards ahead, but it really depends on where you are at. I do this because (A) I can't easily run ahead like on my sorc and (B) I find that it's as safe a place as any for me because teams generally are on the ball carrier and not me.

My main objective is always to cross the first fire. I'll do whatever I've got to do to get there. Flash Bang the mob around it so the ball carrier (or I) can get away, use my cybertech nades, stun and sever tendon a solo defender, even using my cloaking screen to separate myself and cross over. Basically, I just blunt force my way across.

I don't have a lot of problem getting knocked back/off, because of my experience with my sorcerer. So many times I've hit my overload on him and been like "FUCK YEAH, YOU'RE KNOCKED OFF YOU SON OF A---WHAT?!" only to see the player smartly moved just enough to angle himself to land solidly back on the platform...and then prevent me from scoring, or proceed to score. After seeing this so many times, it's now pretty easy for me to replicate on my operative. Granted, this is absolutely no help when you get blasted by a sniper and it's just straight knockback. I'm talking about the inquisitor/consular ones that are so prevalent.

The only real problem I have in huttball is if I mistakenly enter the middle without at least 2 others there. Then it's insta-gib.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yea well I feel useless as a Sniper in Huttball too. Outside of a few CC abilities, I always feel like I'm out of of the loop in the matches and having to constantly run to where the action is screws up snipers who are more stationary. I always feel like I'm just going to bring down my team in Huttball unlike how useful I feel as a Juggernaught with guarding and jumping around the board to score.

As Milly said, control mid and live 98% of the time on the walkways. You always want to be up there.

I tend to stay on the main walkway opposite to my goal, so facing our side, that way I can still control mid but I can also act as a pass conduit from mid to (hopefully) guys behind me. From there I'm picking off enemies waiting to get the ball on a reset, or if they get it, first thing I do is Leg Shot and burn them down as quick as possible. If my team needs me to I'll run around to our side and knock off people on the walkway or CC guys trying to go through the fire traps.

Of course if there are snipers/slingers on the other team doing the same then I need to get them off the walkways as well.

Occasionally if my team sucks I'll try to score a couple of goals but we're not good at it.

Feran

Been thinking about resubbing this game, already made the transfer to Jedi Covenant. I patched the game today and started it up and for some reason I was able to get into my level 36 Commando without a subscription. Is this supposed to happen?

Milly79

Been thinking about resubbing this game, already made the transfer to Jedi Covenant. I patched the game today and started it up and for some reason I was able to get into my level 36 Commando without a subscription. Is this supposed to happen?

Free week or something.

My main is a sorc healer (full WH), and my "new" main is an operative healer (4 WH pieces).

First, regardless of solo or group queue, I run with the ball carrier. Preferably a few yards ahead, but it really depends on where you are at. I do this because (A) I can't easily run ahead like on my sorc and (B) I find that it's as safe a place as any for me because teams generally are on the ball carrier and not me.

My main objective is always to cross the first fire. I'll do whatever I've got to do to get there. Flash Bang the mob around it so the ball carrier (or I) can get away, use my cybertech nades, stun and sever tendon a solo defender, even using my cloaking screen to separate myself and cross over. Basically, I just blunt force my way across.

I don't have a lot of problem getting knocked back/off, because of my experience with my sorcerer. So many times I've hit my overload on him and been like "FUCK YEAH, YOU'RE KNOCKED OFF YOU SON OF A---WHAT?!" only to see the player smartly moved just enough to angle himself to land solidly back on the platform...and then prevent me from scoring, or proceed to score. After seeing this so many times, it's now pretty easy for me to replicate on my operative. Granted, this is absolutely no help when you get blasted by a sniper and it's just straight knockback. I'm talking about the inquisitor/consular ones that are so prevalent.

The only real problem I have in huttball is if I mistakenly enter the middle without at least 2 others there. Then it's insta-gib.

Thanks for the tips. I've already worked out where to stand on the acid pit ramps to not get knocked into them - I'll spend some time working out what to do with the fire pits!

More layoffs at BioWare Austin and Rich Vogel left before the layoffs occurred. Wonder how many people and from which departments.

They gotta find some way to turn this around.

Draxal

More layoffs at BioWare Austin and Rich Vogel left before the layoffs occurred. Wonder how many people and from which departments.

They gotta find some way to turn this around.

Well, one of the people laid off was a web developer, and I believe initial layoffs were targeted at mainly cs people (see Reid), so hopefully the good designers are still around.

I didn't comment on Yanger's post for a reason, because what he said had some truth. The old republic needs to add pve content faster, as the wow raiding end game is showing its age, and as a public ... we consume it too fast.

gatti-man

Well, one of the people laid off was a web developer, and I believe initial layoffs were targeted at mainly cs people (see Reid), so hopefully the good designers are still around.

I didn't comment on Yanger's post for a reason, because what he said had some truth. The old republic needs to add pve content faster, as the wow raiding end game is showing its age, and as a public ... we consume it too fast.

They should add variation ala diablo to existing content and add compelling pvp content. Pve content always goes stale in its current design. Doesnt matter how fast you pump it out.

Speeding up content delivery would help, but if anything they simply needed to drop the stupid holding back months at a time to do a big update. They said around launch that they wanted monthly updates (we hear this alot from MMO devs), yet it took over 4 months to get the first real content update. Having game events and just little new things all the time would do so much more than basically having silence for months.

It also does not help when they do something like 1.2 which added a new raid and flashpoint which had a much higher level of difficulty that completely locked out casual players and guilds. People waiting for new content basically got new warzone and the black hole dailies.... but the rest of the content was focused on appeasing the end game hardcore.

Yea they got to give stuff for end gamers to play, but MMOs are full of casual players who don't raid and who also need new things to do. 1.3 made doing grouping more accessible to everyone which is good, and the new consolidated servers have been great, but going on 8 months soon with still only 1 content update and 1 event?

Lot of folks actually liked the game but you keep seeing them leaving as they are tired of doing the same thing for over 7 months now. We have lot of non raiders in our guild, it's open to all types and more about socializing in games, yet so many of them have quit because the game hasn't really added anything new for them.

End game content delivery I think will never please any hardcore players anymore, as no one can pump out raids fast enough. New raid hits and it's usually cleared by the hardcore in the first few days. MMO's need to be more like they used to where it was about the social interactions and player created environments.

Draxal

It also does not help when they do something like 1.2 which added a new raid and flashpoint which had a much higher level of difficulty that completely locked out casual players and guilds. People waiting for new content basically got new warzone and the black hole dailies.... but the rest of the content was focused on appeasing the end game hardcore..

I would have to agree, I think their biggest mistake was thinking that new dailies would satisfy the casual crowd, making lost island like it was is a silly mistake.

With them also having other flashpoints that haven't been converted to hard modes yet, it was a really strange design decision for them to go that way.

Milly79

My two favorite WZ glitches!!!

3 on 1 fight on the bridge, I jumped off along with a Jugg and we fought to the death down there.

I would have to agree, I think their biggest mistake was thinking that new dailies would satisfy the casual crowd, making lost island like it was is a silly mistake.

With them also having other flashpoints that haven't been converted to hard modes yet, it was a really strange design decision for them to go that way.

At least for the casual public there should be some regular world events and such going on. I still think RIFT had the best presentation when it came to content, with something pretty much always going on each month. Even if it was something little like adding a single dungeon, it still was something new and they would every couple weeks have something new to present players with when they log on.

I imagine that SWTOR got screwed over by releasing too soon and missing so many features and needing all the extra fixing up. Instead of focus on content delivery, they have been trying to fix and improve the problems with the core product, something that has happened to so many MMOs in the past now.

HBroward

I imagine that SWTOR got screwed over by releasing too soon and missing so many features and needing all the extra fixing up. Instead of focus on content delivery, they have been trying to fix and improve the problems with the core product, something that has happened to so many MMOs in the past now.

Obviously things have probably changed at this point, but they always liked to talk about the separate teams working on the fixes and the content. Maybe the layoffs have affected this, but it certainly seems like that really hasn't worked for them. All the new pve content got stripped from 1.3, and now with that HK-51 teaser, it looks like it will slowly be dribbled out to make it appear like steady updates leading up to 1.4. We will probably get HK and Nightmare Denova before the 1.4 patch at this point I imagine. But yeah, new content is a necessity at this point, and on a much more reliable basis then what we have seen up to now.

Unless they do go forward with that rumored content selling idea that they did testing for. In yesterdays Bioware response about the layoffs, they said in coming weeks we will hear about new content an mentions "new ways to play", plus they mentioned months ago new approaches. So wonder if they will reveal they are going forward with selling content packs that include game time.

But really if they do that, they are just going to build up more bad press as soon as they start asking for more money from a game people already pay a sub for. Even if they give out a bunch of free game time with said content bundles, people will still see it as a shitty thing to do.... and it is since we have been paying a sub for months and have gotten little in return.

Kem0sabe

I wonder how F2P would work out for them without a massive addition of new content. A lot of the people playing this game at the moment are level 50´s or are just leveling their alts.

The moment the game goes F2P what could bioware offer a level 50 player to "force" them to spend? they have already burned through the vast majority of the pve content... vanity items?

I wonder how F2P would work out for them without a massive addition of new content. A lot of the people playing this game at the moment are level 50´s or are just leveling their alts.

The moment the game goes F2P what could bioware offer a level 50 player to "force" them to spend? they have already burned through the vast majority of the pve content... vanity items?

Well that's what makes the money in most F2P games.

So they need to start churning out ewok vanity pets and shit.

Big draw for F2P games though is often drawing in a new influx of players.

Anyways game I don't believe will be ready for F2P any time soon, I wouldn't expect it till next year.

Draxal

Well that's what makes the money in most F2P games.

So they need to start churning out ewok vanity pets and shit.

Big draw for F2P games though is often drawing in a new influx of players.

Anyways game I don't believe will be ready for F2P any time soon, I wouldn't expect it till next year.

Companion Customizations, new companions (hk-51 is not nearly as integral to the story as the class 5). Small quest planets that wouldn't be enough to drive an expansion but more then needed for a content pack.

Kem0sabe

I don´t think anything short of:

1. player bounties and other player driven content

2. fully featured space combat and exploration component

would make me subscribe or spend money on this game. I think the closed theme park model they followed doesn´t do the IP justice and has any kind of pull for me.

Companion Customizations, new companions (hk-51 is not nearly as integral to the story as the class 5). Small quest planets that wouldn't be enough to drive an expansion but more then needed for a content pack.

Legacy unlocks would probably be a big thing for them to sell with microtransactions as well.

Alur

Legacy unlocks would probably be a big thing for them to sell with microtransactions as well.

These things, new kinds of color crystals, vanity armor, vanity mounts, vanity pets, and new races, easily.

They could also easily add several hubs of extra daily quests you can purchase, which allow you to get more credits and Armoring/Mod X (possibly black hole level or whatever step they are at).

A cheap F2P expansion wherein all characters can level up to 55 or whatever limit they set, but by paying the 10 bucks or whatever you get the new quests so that it isn't like gnashing teeth (sort of like LOTRO I guess)

You could sell an increase in experience, warzone comms/war hero comms, daily/black hole comms for something cheap like 3 days for 3 dollars, where your take in those things is increased like 25% or something. People would spend it.

They could sell universal black hole/war hero comm usage across your account, universal bank, all kinds of shit like that.

The ways for them to make money is endless in this route, with simple little things. Now that I've listed all that, though, I still can't see them doing it. Still too many players.

Next year, like was said above, maybe. They gotta have the reserve loaded though if they do this.

Wallach

Just watched a Scoundrel healer get Force Pushed from the upper ledge in mid straight over the wall into west on Alderaan. Fuckin' hilarious.

Zafir

Just watched a Scoundrel healer get Force Pushed from the upper ledge in mid straight over the wall into west on Alderaan. Fuckin' hilarious.
Yeah, I've done that before. There was two scoundrel healers together in mid, so I pushed one of them over so we could get the other one down without any outside healing.

broz0rs

I tried out the free trial and had a lot of fun with the game. I think I'll just get the game for $20 on Amazon whether this game goes F2P or not. It's somewhat sad to read about all the players who stuck around, but on the verge of quitting because of the lack of updates.

Truant

So one of my friends is going to work as a priest far far up in northern Norway, and we figured an MMO was a good bet for staying in touch. Guys aren't into calling eachother and all that. We're four or five people.

I have a level 20 BH on Freedon Nadd that I want to continue playing. Would it be possible for me to tag along with the other guys using this character, or will I mess up their mob XP gains?

It doesn't take that long to level, so I figured that if I just play Dromund Kaas and such with them, I'll stay the same level, and they'll advance towards 20 so we can all move on to Nar Shaddaa together.

Cystm

So one of my friends is going to work as a priest far far up in northern Norway, and we figured an MMO was a good bet for staying in touch. Guys aren't into calling eachother and all that. We're four or five people.

I have a level 20 BH on Freedon Nadd that I want to continue playing. Would it be possible for me to tag along with the other guys using this character, or will I mess up their mob XP gains?

It doesn't take that long to level, so I figured that if I just play Dromund Kaas and such with them, I'll stay the same level, and they'll advance towards 20 so we can all move on to Nar Shaddaa together.

Yes, you will mess up there XP gains through mobs, but questing XP will be more than sufficient.

Cystm

One of the GAFers I gave a free trial to forever ago must have subbed because I got...

jLjxF.jpg

..This bad boy in the mail the other day.

It does not scale with the dude huge character body type at all...

Looks like a miserable giant in a clown car.

Top Bottom