• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

TLDR: L2Play. As a deception assassin, I'm okay with this.

I don't play deception assassin, but this is pretty assbackwards way to look at things in my opinion, Cystm. Just because you're a super pro, and maybe 2 others are, there are some obvious failings in the balancing of the rest of the assassin trees.

If you think deception is in any way comparable to marauder/powertech, hell, even sniper, on a regular basis, I'm not seeing the same #'s you have been; at least not in PVP.

UltraMav

As a Scrapper Scoundrel I enjoy the delicious tears of Assassins at every opportunity. Welcome to BWs shitlist. We reserved a room for you next to the Tracer Missile spamming Merc.

Cystm

Im not trying to sound like an cocky elitest jerk, I just don't think there is as much disparity in the classes as some of you think there is.

Draxal

Like it's going to fix anything. Players will just pick the next optimal fotm team combo for rated and then demand nerfs and the cycle will go on forever. Rated pvp has shown us this never will end.

The disparity is there, it's not as say the warrior dominance in extreme early rift, or bright mage fever in early warhammer, but there's always room for some minor adjustment.

Im not trying to sound like an cocky elitest jerk, I just don't think there is as much disparity in the classes as some of you think there is.

Perception is the biggest key there as classes have been nerfed because of it, and I just think techs (reduce their scaling / or make their rotation not so stupidly easy to do) and marauders (their defence cd's need to be played with a bit) need a little adjustment.

Heysoos

man the brekfast on bun from whataburger arent even that goodmaybe if i actually had gone druing the morning theyd be good but the bacon sucked so disapointed

Cystm

man the brekfast on bun from whataburger arent even that goodmaybe if i actually had gone druing the morning theyd be good but the bacon sucked so disapointed

YrZJG.gif

gatti-man

In every pvp match you play sort by dps. Notice the class at the top 3 every time. Its pretty easy to see what class needs balancing. However i dont think its game breaking atm.

Heysoos

Id love to see you in action. I never see snipers as top dps in pvp. Its al ways marauders then everyone else. But ive only been playing a few days so i hardly know it all.

lol, sorry, but I disagree. Snipers/Gunslingers and Vanguards/Powertechs are just unmatched in the DPS they can dish out in Warzones. I'm not saying Sentinel/Marauders are underpowered or anything like that, but those other two DPS classes are just unmatched in the DPS they can easily dish out.

Milly79

Id love to see you in action. I never see snipers as top dps in pvp. Its al ways marauders then everyone else. But ive only been playing a few days so i hardly know it all.

lol, sorry, but I disagree. Snipers/Gunslingers and Vanguards/Powertechs are just unmatched in the DPS they can dish out in Warzones. I'm not saying Sentinel/Marauders are underpowered or anything like that, but those other two DPS classes are just unmatched in the DPS they can easily dish out.

Snipers are easily LoS'd. Honestly even worse because I'm MM. I either waste my time chasing down that healer as he's pillar humping me and no one else focuses on him, or I switch targets.

I think it's alright Snipers put up the numbers, it makes sense. You're not very mobile unless your Leth (and eww f that). Leth doesn't blow people up. If I really wanted to jizz over numbers I'd go that route.

If people don't focus me, I can get the big numbers. However, I do go untouched quite a bit due to morons on the other teams.

But I do love blowing up the baddy slingers/snipers. There are way too many of them. I love when they don't use shield probe/evasion/entrench and I throw diversion at them and they have no idea what to do.

Wallach

I love that nobody talks about Engineering. It makes all the ways it is totally broken in RWZ fly under the radar. Probably the best-designed skill tree in the game out of the four classes I play.

Milly79

I love that nobody talks about Engineering. It makes all the ways it is totally broken in RWZ fly under the radar. Probably the best-designed skill tree in the game out of the four classes I play.

I leveled with it, but I never tried it at 50. Any tips?

Alur

If people don't focus me, I can get the big numbers. However, I do go untouched quite a bit due to morons on the other teams.

After around 75 games played in RWZ's total, in my experience ranged DPS is left alone in RWZ unless you are super beast a-la Revy. In general, it seems most teams only burst down the single best DPS + the healers and any sage/sorc that can be found. Now if everyone else dies, of course you're gonna get raped. But you're far from high priority generally, due to the scoundrel/operative/merc/commando healer exertion.

Devil and Elitegt on our team are rarely ever attacked, and when they do happen to be they just pop their ballistic shield and drop an orbital on their head and everyone clears out. Sniper is pretty nice for rated.

Wallach

I leveled with it, but I never tried it at 50. Any tips?

Well the first thing really is to give it some time, because it's honestly a bit more complicated to play than most specs when it comes to juggling short CDs. In particular when you're coming from Marksman you're really likely to not utilize EMP very well to reset stuff, so if you do swap make sure to think about your keybinds a little.

Besides that, it's mostly just kind of a defensive leaning tree that is really fucking hard to deal with around objective points because if the player is alive, you basically cannot click any kind of PvP objective point. It's particularly dirty on something like Voidstar where you can slap a Plasma Probe on a door then get out of LOS of it entirely and they have to give up their positioning to try and find/kill you. We sometimes use a gimmick where we'll place the Plasma/Orbital for denial, then pull said Sniper back up and have him go to the other side of the initial door defense on Voidstar, and that side is totally safe for about 18 seconds even if nobody's over there. On Novare if you OS the inside and use PP to flush one side of the outer ring, you leave them with only one of the far sides to try and cap from (which 3s CD frags can generally take care of). Alderaan is even more obvious with PP placement, and there's all kinds of easy LOS outs to take if you are waiting for reinforcement.

In Huttball, you don't have that kind of edge really, but Interrogation -> Plasma is still a 2 second stun at up to 35 meters so you've got another tool for mid control. If you take Ballistic Dampers you're miserably hard to push off defensive ramps. This is probably where you'll learn how to use EMP the fastest because you'll need the double shields and adrenaline fighting in mid constantly (unless the other team is ass anyway). Plus you have a permanent 30% snare for anyone trying to waddle with the carrier, or the carrier himself if he's trying to hulk it solo. I feel like this WZ Snipers are really valuable, but their role doesn't change a whole lot regardless of spec since our best tools are native to the class (mostly Entrench/KB and a 35m root).

The only downside is that the burst isn't amazing, especially when Explosive is down. It can be hard to justify if the Sniper in your comp is leading your assist, particularly for healer swaps. If you're already using a Marauder for that though I'd give it a shot.

Draxal

There's a lot more geared marauders then snipers/techs at this moment, so I do see marauders topping dps more often then not in unranked. Marauders are also not as squishy as ptechs (anecdotal here, we tend to focus on ptechs first) so they're alive more often to do that dps.

Alur

I don't see the big deal with ptechs. I've crushed all of them I've played. but since it's fotm I'm probably killing bads.

It's also a bit different for you, they aren't gunning you. They are stomping healers like me.

Since I joined the guild we've played Hoffen/Jinxs (Uncensored) 7 times in the past week, and I haven't seen Hoffen below 600k once. 700k+ on 2 of those, and 800k+ on 2 of them. It's ridiculous with the AOE. The next closest DPS in those games has always been around 400-500k. And we're talking some great players on both sides that he's blowing out of the water. Just destroying them on the numbers chart.

Numbers aren't everything, but when you DOUBLE the next closest persons DPS in rated in a game featuring two of the top four teams on a regular basis?...OH EM GEE. I'm not jelly, since I got the FOTM healer I'm playing myself, but it is insane. I wish we had more good ones on our side.

I agree with you Gatti, I don't think it's a spec for everyone and almost every one of them on imp side is pretty bad. But the ones who've figured it out are kind of like the early guys who figured out the tankassins in DPS gear back a few months ago; it's a huge leg up.

Milly79

By the time you get it to 50 it'll be nerfed a bit, and good chance sniper will be fotm by then.

There are way too many new Snipers, especially since the weapon dmg buff.

Theyve been considered op since launch. Id say his chances are good that they are still op.

I'd probably just delete my Operative. It's not very fun, and I'd like to see the BH story again. Although, I do have a trooper I could just make into a Vanguard.

Kem0sabe

Returned to the game courtesy of Bioware´s 7 day free trial period for former subscribers. Have to say that i´m feeling little to no inclination to return, apart from repeating the 2 new dungeons they added since i left, there´s nothing to really do pve wise at level 50.

Also some things i noticed:

1. the AH is completely bonkers, prices are insane for mats or items.

2. even with the LFG tool, it still takes too long to find a group, even as a healer... the general chat at fleet is still getting spammed with LFG messages even with the tool

3. there´s no talk, no community feeling in the chat apart from the LFG spam.

4. Game runs much better now \o/

5. looks nicer too

Cystm

Returned to the game courtesy of Bioware´s 7 day free trial period for former subscribers. Have to say that i´m feeling little to no inclination to return, apart from repeating the 2 new dungeons they added since i left, there´s nothing to really do pve wise at level 50.

2. even with the LFG tool, it still takes too long to find a group, even as a healer... the general chat at fleet is still getting spammed with LFG messages even with the tool

4. Game runs much better now o/

5. looks nicer too

Not big on end game raiding? What content would you expect or simply like to see?

As for 1 and 2 in your observations, what server are you on? I'm on Jedi covenant with most of TOR GAF and it's nothing like what you are describing.

I myself want more to be done with the PvP
shocking, i know
side of things. Mainly, Arenas.
1v1 2v2 and 4v4 brackets.

As a tank I get into any lfg group using the finder in less than 30 seconds always. Healers usually are about the same from my characters used of it as the role. Only the DPS usually have to wait a few mins at most.

Prices of stuff went crazy in 1.3 but the prices have dropped off greatly since as the market is getting flooded by people and lot of folks trying to undercut one another. Lot of items also now because of demand have gone down in value to pre 1.3 prices due to the massive influx of people collecting and trying to sell the mats. Playing the markets though you can usually find the stuff people aren't spamming at the moment that you can gouge on the prices.

MightyKAC

So I've been playing this a bit using the 'free till 15' trail and was wondering, if I were to pick up a 60 day sub card from ebay would that be all I would need to play the full version of this game or is there anything else that would be necessary for me to play?

So I've been playing this a bit using the 'free till 15' trail and was wondering, if I were to pick up a 60 day sub card from ebay would that be all I would need to play the full version of this game or is there anything else that would be necessary for me to play?

You got to purchase the game to play still. You buy a game code basically off the site or so which includes 30 days of game time with it. From then on you can just use game time card codes you get from wherever.

Was there a SWTOR panel at Comic Con? Did anyone see it?

Think they just a general bioware panel or whatever that had some TOR coverage and they had a panel with most of the voice actors talking about the game with fans. They didn't really announce anything just some generic info about stuff in Q&A's. Was hoping there would be some indication of talking about 1.4 and the new content but apparently everything has been vague "coming soon" answers.

They built up momentum with 1.3 and the community has reacted pretty well to having nice populated servers and new features, they need to keep things up. Course 1.3 has been out only about 3 weeks so it's a bit premature I suppose, but would have expected something at SDCC. But outside of the companion voice actor panel stuff, there wasn't any dedicated TOR panels apparently.

gatti-man

4. Game runs much better now \o/

5. looks nicer too
no community? I was chatting it up in minutes when I came back 3 days ago. Pvp really helps meeting people though.

gatti-man

buy the game, comes with 30 days

Alur

This is as good as we are getting in coverage for this game.

Should I laugh or cry? I'm not sure who to blame, Bioware (for lack of info) or the lack of someone with the drive to create an MMO Champion for this game. Darth Hater always seemed like a cluster to me.

Cystm

Should I laugh or cry? I'm not sure who to blame, Bioware (for lack of info) or the lack of someone with the drive to create an MMO Champion for this game. Darth Hater always seemed like a cluster to me.

Both.

Darth hater has been fine though, actually. They had good coverage of E3 this year, it's just, whoever is at sdcc is forgetting to do their job. Too many booth babes.

We need a model viewer.
AND SO MUCH MORE.

Kem0sabe

Not big on end game raiding? What content would you expect or simply like to see?

As for 1 and 2 in your observations, what server are you on? I'm on Jedi covenant with most of TOR GAF and it's nothing like what you are describing.

I myself want more to be done with the PvP
shocking, i know
side of things. Mainly, Arenas.
1v1 2v2 and 4v4 brackets.

My characters are in Tomb of Freedom Nadd and The Red Eclipse servers. As i said, the only people talking in chat in the fleet are those looking to sell/buy or group, talking during groups is also pretty much non existent.

The feeling i got was a remarkable deja vu to my WoW days years ago, where people would just log in, queue for the daily, get some dungeons done for commendations and then log off.

And your right, i´m not a fan of raiding, i find it mind numbing to say the least, especially as a sorcerer. Plus, in the state raids were launched, even tho they might be fixed right now, i´m not too sure i would want to play any raid designed by Bioware... they were just that bad Oo

Anyways, the game was fun for the first couple of months, the personal story, the voice overs, were both novelties that at the time were missing or poorly executed in mmo´s and i loved that. But thats about it, the game is a theme park through and through, once you sample the rides, all your left with is to wait in line to do them again :)

Wow the 30% exp legacy buff to pvp really makes leveling alts with mostly pvp pretty damn quick. Just doing pvp and class missions pretty much and skipping most of the side quests.

Zafir

My characters are in Tomb of Freedom Nadd and The Red Eclipse servers. As i said, the only people talking in chat in the fleet are those looking to sell/buy or group, talking during groups is also pretty much non existent.

The feeling i got was a remarkable deja vu to my WoW days years ago, where people would just log in, queue for the daily, get some dungeons done for commendations and then log off.

And your right, i´m not a fan of raiding, i find it mind numbing to say the least, especially as a sorcerer. Plus, in the state raids were launched, even tho they might be fixed right now, i´m not too sure i would want to play any raid designed by Bioware... they were just that bad Oo

Anyways, the game was fun for the first couple of months, the personal story, the voice overs, were both novelties that at the time were missing or poorly executed in mmo´s and i loved that. But thats about it, the game is a theme park through and through, once you sample the rides, all your left with is to wait in line to do them again :)
Shame you aren't on Nightmare Lands(The other EU PvE server). I'm always seeing people talking in general chat. For 3 days last week IF general chat was full of people coming up with pretty poor goat puns.

So I guess this is an L2P issue and I need some advice.

My main is a level 50 healing operative on The Red Eclipse (transferred from Kellian Jarro). I've been a healing operative since I started playing the game in January (this is actually the first character I rolled) so I'm not a FOTM - this is also my only 50. I love PvP. I rock in the Civil War, in Novare Coast and my favourite is Voidstar (although I hate the new divider). I'm one piece away from full augmented war hero (the missing piece is augmented Battlemaster) with a mix of the Blue/Purple skill augments.

I royally suck in Huttball.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I have no mobility. I'm pulled, I'm pushed, I'm knocked into the fire, into acid, off the ledge. Every other class seems to be able to run faster or leap or pull/push. My trick is stealth which is close to useless (as I'm always stuck in combat). I get a couple of heals off and then I'm either insta-gibbed into a hazard or destined for the slow, sprintless run back up from the pit.

Possibilities I see:

1) Lurk at the goal line.

Every other class can see me a mile away in stealth -> instant death. Also, sod's law means that when I do this, the ball never goes near that end.

2) Lurk on the rampart around the centre and heal the ball carrier.

If I lurk on our side, I don't get time to cast a heal before the carrier is out of range before I die. If I lurk on their side, then either I'm insta-gibbed (see 1) or else some muppet throws the ball to me and I'm the worst ball carrier ever.

3) Most successful - lurk on the ramp on their side (next to the acid pit). I can heal the ball carrier for a while. This only really works with an organised team as I'm even more exposed than 2).

None of this is good, and I never feel better than a liability for my team. This makes me think that what we have here is an EBKAC (error between keyboard and chair) and I need to L2P.

So what am I supposed to do guys? What is my role in Huttball?

Edit - I should point out that this is not my only character and I love Huttball on most of my alts. I just can't work out what I'm supposed to do on my main.

Yea well I feel useless as a Sniper in Huttball too. Outside of a few CC abilities, I always feel like I'm out of of the loop in the matches and having to constantly run to where the action is screws up snipers who are more stationary. I always feel like I'm just going to bring down my team in Huttball unlike how useful I feel as a Juggernaught with guarding and jumping around the board to score.

Milly79

Yea well I feel useless as a Sniper in Huttball too. Outside of a few CC abilities, I always feel like I'm out of of the loop in the matches and having to constantly run to where the action is screws up snipers who are more stationary. I always feel like I'm just going to bring down my team in Huttball unlike how useful I feel as a Juggernaught with guarding and jumping around the board to score.

I mainly control mid. There are rare occasions when I have to go score.

Wallach

I mainly control mid. There are rare occasions when I have to go score.

Yeah, mid control and the initial offensive/defensive ramps are where Snipers generally roam. They're pretty much the best class for it though. Entrench is amazing for Huttball.

Wallach

Oh, and I just found this out like last week.

Don't use real cover + entrench, it doesn't even work. :(

Yeah, that bug has been around forever I hear. I didn't learn it until Novare released, where I would roll up to the sandbags at mid to start and I'd Entrench/Ballistic then get KB'd by some random CC flying around the hut.

Top Bottom