• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

vilmer_

Is anyone else having issues with their friends list window not showing players logged in correctly? Half of my list are listed as online while the other half are greyed out, but are clearly online...

Milly79

Is anyone else having issues with their friends list window not showing players logged in correctly? Half of my list are listed as online while the other half are greyed out, but are clearly online...

Yep, just have had to get in the habit of actually looking.

Zafir

Yeah, it's been like it since the server transfers. Guild list is buggy too, like the sorting bar often not showing up.

Can anyone give me some tips as a fresh level 50 Mercenary healer in PvP?

Right now I've got full recruit gear with 2 pc Battlemaster, and I'm getting absolutely obliterated and feel absolutely worthless to my team. People usually die before I can even get a heal off on them, or die even when I'm healing as fast and efficiently as I can; if I get targeted by somebody, I'm usually gibbed in 2-3 seconds as a flurry of 3k-5k hits take out my 14k health pool like nothing.

It's just frustrated as hell right now, because I really enjoyed PvP while leveling, and got to rank 42 before hitting level 50, but now I just feel like a body and nothing more.

Cystm

Right now I've got full recruit gear with 2 pc Battlemaster, and I'm getting absolutely obliterated and feel absolutely worthless to my team. People usually die before I can even get a heal off on them, or die even when I'm healing as fast and efficiently as I can; if I get targeted by somebody, I'm usually gibbed in 2-3 seconds as a flurry of 3k-5k hits take out my 14k health pool like nothing.

It's just frustrated as hell right now, because I really enjoyed PvP while leveling, and got to rank 42 before hitting level 50, but now I just feel like a body and nothing more.

You are behind on gear.

Some general tips:

Use your defensive CDs. CC and knock backs, particularly when they are dumping their rotation into you, are effective ways to mitigate incoming damage.
Hump pillars.
LoS
Juke your casts to force them to waste their interrupt.
Call for a peel in TS, Skype, Vent, whatever if applicable.

E: Gatti's right, getting a guard is a huge boon. Someone on your team should be willing to be a dedicated tank. Good players that can, will situationally throw out a guard on the fly as well.

gatti-man

ask for a guard, announce you are a hea ler, line of sight. Anyone should die when focus fired, try to stay back.

Decided to play this game after a longtime hiatus, last time I played was 1.2. What has happened? My sniper has been failing miserably. :< Do I need WH gear now or something? Where did my relics go? lol

Decided to play this game after a longtime hiatus, last time I played was 1.2. What has happened? My sniper has been failing miserably. :< Do I need WH gear now or something? Where did my relics go? lol

Do you at least have Battle master? The difference between Bm and wh is really not that big.

Truant

Thinking about doing a solo alt so I can play while my friends level. What class has the most supernatural stuff in it? You know, lots of ancient tombs, weird sith technology, artifacts and such.

My BH is so "down to earth", so I want the mumbo jumbo.

Draxal

Thinking about doing a solo alt so I can play while my friends level. What class has the most supernatural stuff in it? You know, lots of ancient tombs, weird sith technology, artifacts and such.

Sorcerer/assassin.

Zafir

From that description probably Inquisitor. IA is more Emp/Rep side of things rather than Sith/Jedi, and SW isn't very supernatural.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Yeah, Sith Inquisitor is the clear winner on that front. Ghosts and ancient rituals and shit.

SRTtoZ

hey can someone help me out? I am looking to buy SWTOR and have a few questions.

1) does it look good maxed out?

2) whats a good heavily populated pvp server?

3) lastly, is it worth it? you hear everyone bagging on this game but I have always looked forward to it. The reason I didnt buy it at release was because my laptop at the time couldnt really handle it and because I didnt want to be a part of the beginner launch.

I recently got a new laptop with a 7970m AMD card in it so I can max this out pretty easily.

Thanks,

Heysoos

hey can someone help me out? I am looking to buy SWTOR and have a few questions.

1) does it look good maxed out?

2) whats a good heavily populated pvp server?

3) lastly, is it worth it? you hear everyone bagging on this game but I have always looked forward to it. The reason I didnt buy it at release was because my laptop at the time couldnt really handle it and because I didnt want to be a part of the beginner launch.

I recently got a new laptop with a 7970m AMD card in it so I can max this out pretty easily.

Thanks,

1) I think it does, it's not some super high res Crysis game with amazing textures, but for an MMO, I think it looks good.

2) The heaviest PVP server I guess would be the Fatman. I wouldn't say it has the best quality of matches from what I played though. If you're looking for somewhat, open world PVP pick that one I suppose. Though, if you're looking to just do Warzones, you can pick any server likkeeeee PVE Jedi Covenant where there GAF guild is. :)

3) I think so. Some disagree, content is a little slow, but I think they put it in the back burner while they got transfers set up. Which I think was a good idea. Right now we're just kind of waiting and hoping for some news on the new content that should be coming soon hopefully.

You can try it out for yourself right now until level 15.

Milly79

35% crit, 75% multiplier, those seemed like alright numbers back in the day. Should I focus on getting WH gear or PVE mods?

Yes and definitely no.

If you pvp a lot WH is next up, so why not? I've "heard" that WHs expertise is really only another piece of BM when you add it all up.

if this is wrong, blame HBroward

vilmer_

Tried a few ranked warzones the past couple nights and the Imps on the Prophecy of the Five server have some insanely strong teams. Powertechs and Snipers in the right hands will absolutely destroy you. Had a Powertech eat right through my saber ward like it was nothing and I was sitting there with 1/4 of my health :lol This is with almost 1300 expertise as well :(

Heysoos

Pyro/Assault spec for Vanguard/PTs have crazy amount of burst and armor penetration. Sentinel's have Pacify to somewhat deal with that, but it's no where near enough, you have to take them out fast or they're just going to destroy you.

Cystm

35% crit, 75% multiplier, those seemed like alright numbers back in the day. Should I focus on getting WH gear or PVE mods?

Critical Rating: Increases your Critical Chance for scoring a critical hit. A base critical hit does an additional 50% damage/healing for a minimum of 150% damage/healing on a critical attack. The value of Critical Rating decreases above 30% Critical Chance or about 350 Critical Rating.

Surge Rating: Increases the Critical Multiplier for damage done by a critical hit. Surge Rating increases the amount of additional damage/healing done by a critical hit by up to an additional 50% damage for critical hits that do up to 200% normal damage/healing. The value of Surge Rating decreases above 75% Critical Multiplier or about 300 Surge Rating.

I assume you are at 105% accuracy and 1k expertise, if not then: 1k Expertise > 105% Accuracy > Cunning.

TL;DR: Yeah, what Yooni said. You are already where you want to be for Crit. The only other suggestion I can make is to make sure you are properly utilizing your Followthrough ability after Ambush and Snipe.

Something like this:

• Shatter Shot for debuff on present target. So good.
  • Ambush + Followthrough
  • Snipe + Followthrough
  • Takedown
  • Series of Shots
  • Corrosive Dart
  • Orbital Strike
  • Explosive Probe
  • Rifle Shot

Heysoos

They need to rework the whole inheritance system. Just not worth it right now. The construction kits should just give you the orange shell, or something worth it. As it is, a chest kit costs 200 daily commendations... or you can buy a Rakata implant that sells well, sell it for 300k+, and buy a couple pieces of legacy armor. lol.

Critical Rating: Increases your Critical Chance for scoring a critical hit. A base critical hit does an additional 50% damage/healing for a minimum of 150% damage/healing on a critical attack. The value of Critical Rating decreases above 30% Critical Chance or about 350 Critical Rating.

Surge Rating: Increases the Critical Multiplier for damage done by a critical hit. Surge Rating increases the amount of additional damage/healing done by a critical hit by up to an additional 50% damage for critical hits that do up to 200% normal damage/healing. The value of Surge Rating decreases above 75% Critical Multiplier or about 300 Surge Rating.

I assume you are at 105% accuracy and 1k expertise, if not then: 1k Expertise > 105% Accuracy > Cunning.

TL;DR: Yeah, what Yooni said. You are already where you want to be for Crit. The only other suggestion I can make is to make sure you are properly utilizing your Followthrough ability after Ambush and Snipe.

Something like this:

• Shatter Shot for debuff on present target. So good.
  • Ambush + Followthrough
  • Snipe + Followthrough
  • Takedown
  • Series of Shots
  • Corrosive Dart
  • Orbital Strike
  • Explosive Probe
  • Rifle Shot
Thanks, yeah it was just me needing to get used to playing again and I also had a lot of my buffs not set. I guess they did something to adrenals/relics because I had to set them all again. My stats all seem to be fine. I just did a voidstar where I came out second for damage, and I saw my 5k crits, so I think I'm doing alright!

Should I use PVE relics or the PVP ones? I see they made the PVP relics a static stat bonus, while PVE are activated. I have access to both so I guess I'll just test the waters.

Milly79

The BM or WH static power buff one is the best. The on-use PVE do not work in PVP anymore. The adrenals do not work either.

Alur

I did what I never thought I'd do today. I unsubbed. I'm really just kind of bored.

Rated has degenerated into Turks VS Turks for the most part (with occasional Uncensored/PD once or twice a week), so it's not much fun. Very repetitive, basically comes down to who has the most regular attendees online. One char is full WH and the other is half WH so not a lot to do normal warzone wise either. I haven't raided since 1.2, and my guild doesn't raid, so kinda screwed on that front as well.

And what was left of my GAF Empire buddies who went with me have now quit the game as well. Which is definitely the worst part - I've played with them every night for months on end now.

I want to keep playing, there's just not much to do. I guess it's a ceremonial unsub though, cause I'll be back when something finally hits - I've got until just before the middle of August still. I'm still gonna do rated wzs with the guild, but other than that I don't think I'll be on much til 1.4/world event.

Setre

Said a while back I was going to try TOR out and well, I'm d/ling the game right now. Any tips I should know as a n00b going in? Only other MMO I played for any amount of time was Star Wars: Galaxies.

Cystm

Said a while back I was going to try TOR out and well, I'm d/ling the game right now. Any tips I should know as a n00b going in? Only other MMO I played for any amount of time was Star Wars: Galaxies.

Read the OP. Some useful resources there for beginners.

gatti-man

I did what I never thought I'd do today. I unsubbed. I'm really just kind of bored.

Rated has degenerated into Turks VS Turks for the most part (with occasional Uncensored/PD once or twice a week), so it's not much fun. Very repetitive, basically comes down to who has the most regular attendees online. One char is full WH and the other is half WH so not a lot to do normal warzone wise either. I haven't raided since 1.2, and my guild doesn't raid, so kinda screwed on that front as well.

And what was left of my GAF Empire buddies who went with me have now quit the game as well. Which is definitely the worst part - I've played with them every night for months on end now.

I want to keep playing, there's just not much to do. I guess it's a ceremonial unsub though, cause I'll be back when something finally hits - I've got until just before the middle of August still. I'm still gonna do rated wzs with the guild, but other than that I don't think I'll be on much til 1.4/world event.

guild wars 2 bro, come with me.....

Alur

Yeah I'm gonna try it out Gatti. Seems like a lot of the old KV PVP crowd is. I haven't even been in a beta yet though, cause I haven't purchased. Are you on the KVers server (I think they have one picked out) or did you just pick one at random?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

God I wanted to love GW2 so much, but I've been pretty bored in the betas. Even in the SWTOR beta I was always itching to log in, but my girlfriend and I would log in for an hour in the GW2 betas and then kinda just stop playing for the weekend. She was looking forward to it more than I was.

I already bought it so I'll play it but the combat feels haphazard and, say what you want about themeparks, I feel completely unfocused when I'm playing. Exploration is nice but running around aimlessly looking for these non-quests *wink wink* gets tedious. Plus the graphics are a huge disappointment.

Alur

God I wanted to love GW2 so much, but I've been pretty bored in the betas. Even in the SWTOR beta I was always itching to log in, but my girlfriend and I would log in for an hour in the GW2 betas and then kinda just stop playing for the weekend. She was looking forward to it more than I was.

I already bought it so I'll play it but the combat feels haphazard and, say what you want about themeparks, I feel completely unfocused when I'm playing. Exploration is nice but running around aimlessly looking for these non-quests *wink wink* gets tedious. Plus the graphics are a huge disappointment.

Yessir, I'm not that enthused about it myself. But...I'm a sucker for MMO's, and none of my buddies will play TERA with me cause it doesn't have battlegrounds/warzones yet. So I guess I'll wait for a patch here and maybe play GW2 til that happens (if it comes out before the patch).

gatti-man

The game was highs and lows. graphics were good when you get in big situations like wvw. I think the sp of this game is WAY behind swtor but the mp which WAY better than swtor. The events are great, the combat in wvw is outstanding but requires a guild or it's just a Zerg fest. I'm going with gaf. The swtor kv dudes are on a different server and I went to their beta server and never hooked up with them.

My opinion gw2 will suck without a good guild. However the way it's structured with a good guild the game will be tons of fun.

Alur

The game was highs and lows. graphics were good when you get in big situations like wvw. I think the sp of this game is WAY behind swtor but the mp which WAY better than swtor. The events are great, the combat in wvw is outstanding but requires a guild or it's just a Zerg fest. I'm going with gaf. The swtor kv dudes are on a different server and I went to their beta server and never hooked up with them.

My opinion gw2 will suck without a good guild. However the way it's structured with a good guild the game will be tons of fun.

I'll have to check out the GAF server then.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Well, to be fair I didn't end up trying the PVP because I generally never PVP, SWTOR is an exception.

Neither me or my gf could honestly put our fingers on why the game just wasn't grabbing us. The fact that it was beta and the characters would be wiped was one theory but I've been pretty hooked on previous MMO betas. Like I said I think it was the feeling of not having any kind of clear goal. It's a delicate thing because we WANT a sandbox game with freedom to do whatever you want but GW2 isn't really a sandbox either.

I specifically remember one instance during one of the earlier betas where we were following a group a people just killing centaurs and not really having any reason why except that a yellow bar was filling up for a quest neither of us knew anything about. It just seemed weird. Maybe it'll improve at higher levels.

Anyway, this isn't really the thread for it so I'll leave it at that.

Piecake

Well, to be fair I didn't end up trying the PVP because I generally never PVP, SWTOR is an exception.

Neither me or my gf could honestly put our fingers on why the game just wasn't grabbing us. The fact that it was beta and the characters would be wiped was one theory but I've been pretty hooked on previous MMO betas. Like I said I think it was the feeling of not having any kind of clear goal. It's a delicate thing because we WANT a sandbox game with freedom to do whatever you want but GW2 isn't really a sandbox either.

I specifically remember one instance during one of the earlier betas where we were following a group a people just killing centaurs and not really having any reason why except that a yellow bar was filling up for a quest neither of us knew anything about. It just seemed weird. Maybe it'll improve at higher levels.

Anyway, this isn't really the thread for it so I'll leave it at that.

I was a bit disappointed at first since I really didnt know what to do, but after playing for a while, figuring out how I wanted to play and just doing that, I had an absolute blast. It is the first MMO that I really didnt care about getting to that next level, that next piece of gear. I just went around and had fun.

So, maybe youre like me and just need to put some more time into it and figure out how you want to play and youll enjoy it more.

Personally, I liked GW2's SP an MP a lot better than ToR - mostly because I found ToR's gameplay boring

Moaradin

I'm having a ton of fun with GW2 but my main issue is it's performance. It's much worse than even SWTOR when it was in beta. They have a month to fix it before they go live, and I don't think they'll be able to do it.

Piecake

I'm having a ton of fun with GW2 but my main issue is it's performance. It's much worse than even SWTOR when it was in beta. They have a month to fix it before they go live, and I don't think they'll be able to do it.

Yea, thats my biggest complaint. my laptop can run Skyrim and Witcher 2 on high, but has to run GW2 on medium-low settings and it still gets real choppy during DEs and WvW :(

I think the game still looks fantastic though (i care a lot more about art style than technical)

Well finally got a group together to beat Lost Island HM after ignoring it so long. Man that FP is a pain, no wonder so few run it. I seriously worry about future flashpoints if they keep them this difficult or try to progress them in difficulty. LI is extremely un pug friendly and even with an organized group, you need some good gear. They need to make the STORY mode difficulty exactly that, accessible to all players or they are just tossing a wall into the game for all future content for the non hardcore.

As for GW2, WvWvW is the highlight for me and what justified it's purchase too me. Everything else is just typical MMO feel to me, it's not all that it's been hyped to be, but it's solid. Combat is a bit more hectic but also at the same time simpler, so it has a unique feel I think.

I plan on sticking with TOR for now and also playing GW2, especially since it has no fee and doesn't put the leveling/gear pressure on you to keep up with your friends. You just play whenever and however you want. Game ran fairly well for me, just had performance issues during some events, yet huge WvWvW battles ran ok.

Geoff9920

I recently replayed about the original KOTOR for ~20 hours and the end result made me want to resub. After playing both games back to back they feel surprisingly similar.

I have a meager level 26 scoundrel (Gunslinger) named DayVeeJones on the Jedi Covenant server if anyone from GAF is around.

Top Bottom