• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

CaVaYeRo

I recently replayed about the original KOTOR for ~20 hours and the end result made me want to resub. After playing both games back to back they feel surprisingly similar.

I have a meager level 26 scoundrel (Gunslinger) named DayVeeJones on the Jedi Covenant server if anyone from GAF is around.

We recently interviewed game director James Ohlen, asked him about potential KOTOR 3. Looks like they have no plans for it. Basically "online is the future", "we give you 8 sequels in a way with SWTOR", "SWTOR is 10+ times ME", etc. I didn't sub yet, but might bite sooner than later.

He avoided the F2P question, of course.

People need to ask Lucasarts for KOTOR 3, Bioware has no say in the matter. If they want another single player stand alone KOTOR title, they need to make Lucasarts clear on it so they could green light that project. But with TOR out, I doubt they see any need for it and rather just sit back and collect royalties from EA for now.

Cystm

• General
    • Players can now use vehicles on Coruscant in the large areas of the Black Sun, Old Galactic Market, The Works, and the Jedi Temple districts.

• Classes and Combat
    • All class "stun break" abilities now properly remove blind effects. For example, the blind effect caused by a Sorcerer's Backlash skill can now be broken with each class's "stun break" ability.

• Group Finder
    • Simultaneously submitted votes to kick a player are now counted correctly.
    • Lockout info now continues to display after closing the Group Finder pop-up.
    • The Group Finder group acceptance dialog now causes the main Group Finder window to close.
    • The travel dialog now closes automatically if it is open when you leave the group.
    • Players that experience a disconnect during a random Group Finder destination now receive the correct daily rewards if eligible.
    • Player eligibility for daily Group Finder rewards is now displayed correctly in the Group Finder window.
    • The tooltip on the Group Finder button now correctly reflects whether a group is eligible to find a replacement player.

• PvP
    • An issue that could prevent some players from being displayed in the Warzone group frames has been corrected.
    • Players no longer receive an incorrect "You have been queue for solo Warzones" message when being queue for a group Warzone while in a loading screen.
    • The Warzone scorecard now correctly tracks the number of kills; in some instances previously, it displayed a lower number than were actually performed.

Full notes here.

Edit: Just going to edit this in here to prevent the double post.

Darth Hater has an interesting retrospective on the game since launch, here.

HBroward

They need to fix a bug we ran into on HM EC last night, not allowing us back into the instance at all.

Yeah, that was really frustrating, I was really looking forward to that kephess kill on my healer. He is gonna die tonight at least, barring any other bugs locking us out of instances.

Yeah, that was really frustrating, I was really looking forward to that kephess kill on my healer. He is gonna die tonight at least, barring any other bugs locking us out of instances.

Yea we got it as well, crazy stuff, I had to log out and back in just to be able to do anything.

Milly79

So they updated the maintenance posting. I don't see anything different except maybe it was extended by two hours?

World event.

Servers are acting really funky in general. Tons of lag, lot of random issues, even the LFG queues are taking forever. I think the servers are undergoing a bit of a meltdown

Cystm

Servers are acting really funky in general. Tons of lag, lot of random issues, even the LFG queues are taking forever. I think the servers are undergoing a bit of a meltdown

Not experiencing any issues at all. Weird.

Edit: Thaj is getting DC'd everytime he loots anything in KP NM.
lol

So... can I not trade in my battle master enforcer's blaster towards the war hero enforcer's blaster if I removed the crystal? I tried putting the original one back in but I still couldn't use it to buy the war hero. It took me forever to save up the 3400 ranked WZ coms. Ugh.

Cystm

So... can I not trade in my battle master enforcer's blaster towards the war hero enforcer's blaster if I removed the crystal? I tried putting the original one back in but I still couldn't use it to buy the war hero. It took me forever to save up the 3400 ranked WZ coms. Ugh.

You have to have it unequipped and in your bags when you buy the weapon.

Wallach

You can remove everything in the Battlemaster weapon, you just can't have it equipped when you try to buy the War Hero version.

Cystm

Got the Dessler Turbo on my JK tonight with GAF:

oaYGe.jpg

So my ops guild apparently isn't as awesome as some of you guys' guilds. We just finally beat EC on story mode tonight. I know it's only story mode but man it felt really good.

So my ops guild apparently isn't as awesome as some of you guys' guilds. We just finally beat EC on story mode tonight. I know it's only story mode but man it felt really good.

The one I'm in is super casual, mostly older gamers with families so we take our time. We are still working on doing EC story lol

HBroward

Lol I was napping, better late than never!

We did good tho, one-shot everything on Hard Denova except Minefield and that was just small mistakes and bad luck.

I am so sick of that minefield. Whoever's idea it was to make the field random, and have it actually be UNSOLVEABLE sometimes, needs to be dragged into a street and shot. There is no excuse for that, such a waste of time.

Edit: The final patch for the Sith Lords Restored Content Patch for KOTOR II was released yesterday!

I am so sick of that minefield. Whoever's idea it was to make the field random, and have it actually be UNSOLVEABLE sometimes, needs to be dragged into a street and shot. There is no excuse for that, such a waste of time.

Edit: The final patch for the Sith Lords Restored Content Patch for KOTOR II was released yesterday!

Had another load of crap on it last night, starting to severly dislike it, even on story mode its a tight encounter if you end up going even slightly the wrong way your screwed and have to start from square 1...

Zafir

Yeah, that minefield is a bitch. Sometimes I can climb on the lift get up top and find the correct path within a couple of clicks. Other times, by the time you've found the correct obscure path, it's too late and you hit the enrage timer.

Giolon

Yeah, that minefield is a bitch. Sometimes I can climb on the lift get up top and find the correct path within a couple of clicks. Other times, by the time you've found the correct obscure path, it's too late and you hit the enrage timer.
There's no such thing as an unsolvable configuration on the minefield. One thing many people seem to not realize is that the only two columns that really matter are the left two, and the only directions it's ever worth moving is forward. If you use the rightmost column, you're automatically lengthening your path by 2. I you use the one next to it, by 1. The only time it's ever worth moving horizontally is if the path you're moving to has two free green squares more than the path you're currently on.

Since the path is random, it's generally not worth trying to find the path with the most green squares. Just pick whichever of the left two columns has a free green square on the first row and get moving. If neither has one, just pick one and go. There will likely be a feel square or two down the line.

Personally, I love the minefield. It's one of the easiest bosses in EC in either mode, and it's a pretty unique mechanic. My guild seems to enjoy it too. It's not like we're a cutting edge raiding guild either (we're slightly behind the enrage timers on Z&T and the two tanks on HM right now, and even hit enrage on some of the demolition droids, yet can make it through the HM minefield with no problem).

HBroward

There's no such thing as an unsolvable configuration on the minefield. One thing many people seem to not realize is that the only two columns that really matter are the left two, and the only directions it's ever worth moving is forward. If you use the rightmost column, you're automatically lengthening your path by 2. I you use the one next to it, by 1. The only time it's ever worth moving horizontally is if the path you're moving to has two free green squares more than the path you're currently on.

Since the path is random, it's generally not worth trying to find the path with the most green squares. Just pick whichever of the left two columns has a free green square on the first row and get moving. If neither has one, just pick one and go. There will likely be a feel square or two down the line.

Personally, I love the minefield. It's one of the easiest bosses in EC in either mode, and it's a pretty unique mechanic. My guild seems to enjoy it too. It's not like we're a cutting edge raiding guild either (we're slightly behind the enrage timers on Z&T and the two tanks on HM right now, yet can make I through the HM minefield with no problem).

Well, all I know is we have pretty damn high dps in our group, and we hit the enrage as we kill the 5th robot. So if you are saying there is always a path that requires only 4 robots, I retract my rant. Otherwise, until a new tier of gear, it will be an issue unless you have like 4 mara's putting up insane damage. Maybe our minefield clicker sucks and is doing it wrong, I don't know. I just know that not being able to complete an encounter due to what appears to me to be a random factor is incredibly frustrating. As long as the field is a 4 robot field, it's a one shot affair. 5 robots means a load back in on Hard for us. Otherwise, I agree that is a fun and unique encounter, and the most interesting of the puzzles in the current ops.

Enosh

5 robots is very hard to impossible, never done it
I think that there is always supposed to be a way with only 4 red thingys but that means that maybe you have to go left or right at some point and most people just go straight and then they are fucked

Zafir

Personally, I love the minefield. It's one of the easiest bosses in EC in either mode, and it's a pretty unique mechanic. My guild seems to enjoy it too. It's not like we're a cutting edge raiding guild either (we're slightly behind the enrage timers on Z&T and the two tanks on HM right now, and even hit enrage on some of the demolition droids, yet can make it through the HM minefield with no problem).
I don't know why you quoted me, because I never said it was unsolvable. I just mentioned that sometimes by the time you find the correct path, it can sometimes be too late in terms of the enrage timer, since managing 5 droids seems to be impossible even with amazing dps. Even if you focus on only the two left paths, paths can sometimes have a large amount of mines placed in both those lanes. Meaning you can't use them and the correct path is lane 3 or 4. That's just down to luck. It isn't that it's unsolvable, it's just that if you get a shitty configuration like that, you end up spending more time than you should trying to find the correct path, and if your dps isn't amazing, you'll hit the enrage timer finding it.

I agree it's the easiest boss actually. It's just annoying that sometimes you can fail down to luck. If you don't get one of those shitty configurations, it is definitely the easiest, because there's not really any mechanics to worry about.

The second boss is more annoying in terms of glitchiness. What with mechanics not showing up and stuff.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Dear Bioware. We're ready for another event....or something.

Giolon

I don't know why you quoted me, because I never said it was unsolvable.

Sorry, Zafir I wasn't trying to imply that you did. I just wanted to respond to both of you guys at the same time.

In retrospect, I'd soften my comments about only ever wanting to focus on the left two columns - it's basically just that the odds of succeeding those in two are better in the case that you ended up with a relatively bad path. Shifting over horizontally is free if you've discovered a green square directly next to the end of your current path, but if you don't ever end up w/ a free green horizontally, you're going to need two more to come out ahead vs just staying on the same path you were on.

It's all an odds game. And yeah, I'm personally more worried about shit bugging out than ending up w/ a randomly bad configuration. Can't tell you how many times we've wiped on Z&T b/c the yellow circle will occasionally randomly teleport to a different person with less than 2 seconds left before it goes purple.

Now that's infuriating.

So I've just resubbed (just want to finish my few character storylines), and it appears I'm on the free server transfer list. Do you guys recommend any west coast servers to move to?

Wallach

Yeah I just read that bit. :p Oh well, on the bus I get...

edit: Drooga's Pleasure Barge... hope it's as good as it sounds.

That's where a handful of us wound up. If you're ever just solo queuing or something and want a random partner to roll with, PM me. Though my character on Republic side is mostly in Recruit gear since I hardly PvP on that side.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They could even roll out the old event, I got everything I wanted from it, but some people didn't.

Just making so much for an one shot deal is kinda silly.

It wasn't silly if you figured they would be doing semi-regular events, at that point you're just looking forward to the next one. It's been over 3 months since the last (and only) one, that's far too long.

They could even roll out the old event, I got everything I wanted from it, but some people didn't.

Just making so much for an one shot deal is kinda silly.

MMO's tend to do this a lot tho, makes certain gear and items rare and sought after like the white crystals etc.

HBroward

I've been getting some of his pocket healers heals lately, it is preeeetty nice. Last night I had 3 of them healing me when Yooni hopped off!

Cystm

My Sorc pocket healer is OP? Lol wtf.

She wasn't the only one! You had an Operative too!

umDHw.gif

lol

I've been getting some of his pocket healers heals lately, it is preeeetty nice. Last night I had 3 of them healing me when Yooni hopped off!

Must be nice.

PS: Imperials on The Bastion are the worst. I cannot wait until paid xfers are ready, so I can consolidate my characters onto JC.

Alur

Dear Bioware. We're ready for another event....or something.

Something... These past couple of days, I get on... then immediately get off.

I feel you. This is the first weekend (outside of times when I was out of town) that I didn't log in a single time since release. Still playing a couple nights in the week with the guild for rated, but I would love a world event.

HBroward

I feel you. This is the first weekend (outside of times when I was out of town) that I didn't log in a single time since release. Still playing a couple nights in the week with the guild for rated, but I would love a world event.

Liar, we saw you log in yesterday! :) Although I guess if you didn't "do" anything then it doesn't count.

Top Bottom