• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

HBroward

Oh, I just saw the Darth Maul picture and didn't realize that was the Malgus set, doh. Now I see that pic is on all the sets, which is why I thought those sets I found on amazon were old.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Oh, I just saw the Darth Maul picture and didn't realize that was the Malgus set, doh. Now I see that pic is on all the sets, which is why I thought those sets I found on amazon were old.

Click on the pic for full res. If I had displayed the full size pic, it would be easier to see the big Old Republic logo in the bottom corner.

Hope they do more, would really love to get some of the other class ships in lego form, but doubt we will see anymore past these two sets. Course they do come out with some odd choices of sets at times so who knows.

Kyari

Is it off topic to talk about how I picked up the Republic Striker?
It's a little pricey for what you get, but a fun model all the same. I mean, T7=Hero after all.

Probably going to pick up the Fury in a week or so. These are in Argos in the UK if anyone is interested.

Alur

Liar, we saw you log in yesterday! :) Although I guess if you didn't "do" anything then it doesn't count.

That was the end of the weekend, though! I mean nothing Friday, Saturday, or Sunday at all. I literally logged in, stood at the fleet, and then logged off Sunday night after a few minutes.

Got on tonight for rated...we sat in queue over an hour and got no pops. Good times. We did get two games of normal where it was all 8 of us on one team. Those poor pubs.

Milly79

WlaOY.jpg

Enosh

sooo any 1.4 info? I am kinda on a break, said 1 month to the guild (so about 2 more weeks) and well I am really not feeling coming back just to keep doing HM EC...

really should have released a new raid with 1.3 imho

Milly79

sooo any 1.4 info? I am kinda on a break, said 1 month to the guild (so about 2 more weeks) and well I am really not feeling coming back just to keep doing HM EC...

Silence for weeks. Not looking promising.

Only been a month since 1.3, so doubt it. Took longer before for any new info on next updates. We still haven't gotten the in game event which the files for are already in.

vilmer_

Going to stay away from any SWTOR post in the gaming forums as per usual, but I must say this isn't a surprise. A bunch of people I know are excited now to try it out who never subbed.

Enosh

well really happy I didn't buy 60 days now, especially since I don't think there will be a content update until the f2p conversion ^^
edit2: well apparently new content in august

from the little I read about this seems they will also increase the level cap with this?
BioWare?, a Label of Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: EA), announced today that it will be expanding the story-driven, massively multiplayer online game Star Wars?: The Old Republic? by adding a new Free-to-Play option this fall. This option will give players access to each of the eight iconic Star Wars character class storylines, all the way up to level 50, with certain restrictions*. Unlimited game access, including new higher-level game content and new features, will be made available through individual purchases or through a subscription option

I wonder how this will work, will raids be a buy to play thing? only some? maybe only the higher difficulties while normal will be for everyone?
Is it going to be pay2win?
so far they are speaking of convenience and cosmetic items, like devs always do when it comes to these things
but will see once more details are released,

Draxal

Going to stay away from any SWTOR post in the gaming forums as per usual, but I must say this isn't a surprise. A bunch of people I know are excited now to try it out who never subbed.

I think we're just suprised that they got the Store ready for it, as tooling it was going to take a while. But yeah, friends of mine will be able to play the game now that otherwise wouldn't of, so I'm thrilled.

well realy happy I dion't buy 60 days now ^^

from the little I read about this seems they will also increase the level cap with this?

I wonder how this will work, will raids be a buy to play thing? only some? maybe only the higher difficulties while normal will be for everyone?

Ya raising the level cap has been known since E3 (Makeb).

HBroward

It should be interesting to see numbers on subs here in a bit, they had to be bad for them to frontrun the earnings call with this news. I'm not sure what I think of the change yet, obviously it will bring in more players, but I need more info on the content being gated and how it will all work. Will we be able to earn Cartel Coins in-game? etc etc

Geoff9920

It essentially gates all end game content and convience while letting someone play the 1-50 story missions. I think this will only really take off if they plan on raising the level cap and add an enticing post 50 story.

vilmer_

Looks like I will keep paying, I don't like being limited on what I can do

Same, I'm still enjoying the game immensely and reading between the lines it looks like 1.4 will hit in August. If the planets align, perhaps the new world event within the next week!
please

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
As long as they don't start charging for content updates for subscribers (beyond full blown expansions).

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
They'll be costed using cartel coins, most likely (aka blow your stuff on cosmetic stuff you're going to have pay for the expansion).

I haven't read much yet but I thought the coins were for convenience/cosmetic/vanity stuff and not content like ops and warzones?

HBroward

It's not a bad thing, I just figured they wouldn't restrict it that much. It's pretty much worthless if I want to continue to PVE and even PVP.

Yeah, I hear you. I just hope the "convenience" features sold in the Cartel shop are only legacy perks we already have or will have access to as well.

I haven't read much yet but I thought the coins were for convenience/cosmetic/vanity stuff and not content like ops and warzones?

From what I've read is seems like you could buy piecemeal, like more pvp matches/week, or new content like the new Makeb planet and such. Here is a quote from the FAQ:
Subscribers will continue to have unlimited access to The Old Republic, including new, more frequent content updates that Free-to-Play members will have to buy.

And here is one I found that goes into a bit more detail on the next content drop in that context:
In addition to unrestricted access to the full game and features there will be several benefits to the transitioning from a subscription to a Premium Level account, including:

Unlimited access to regular Game Updates such as new Nightmare Mode content, a brand new Operation on the planet of Asation, a new Heroic mission series on the prison planet of Belsavis, and a brand new Warzone for our PvP lovers.Automatic monthly grant of Cartel Coins for use in our new Cartel Market.
The Cartel Market will offer a variety of in-game items including cosmetically customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience. Subscribers will receive Cartel Coin rewards for every past and ongoing month of subscription.

StudioTan

Yeah, I hear you. I just hope the "convenience" features sold in the Cartel shop are only legacy perks we already have or will have access to as well.

From what I've read is seems like you could buy piecemeal, like more pvp matches/week, or new content like the new Makeb planet and such. Here is a quote from the FAQ:

OK, cool, so subs still get new content for free and also get a stipend of coins to use on stuff from the store. Seems similar to AoC's F2P model.

I'm not into the whole piecemeal pricing thing, I'll just keep my sub. The good news is I can drop the 15 bucks a month I paying for my girlfriend who only logs in a couple of times per week to PVP. Sound like she'll be able to do that with the free sub.

HBroward

Ok, more digging and found this, as an explanation of why one should sub prior to the launch of free-to-play:

If you join The Old Republic now, you will start earning Cartel Coins for every month you are subscriber. In addition, in August we will be launching new content and plan to provide more frequent Game Updates going forward.

So at least we know the new content is at most a month away, if not even sooner.

Edit: And here is the breakdown on Cartel Coins:

Q. I’m confused, how many Cartel Coins will I receive when the free-to-play option is offered?

A. Current/Former Subscribers: Receive 150 Cartel Coins for each paid month prior to July 31, 2012. For example: If you played 3 months, you receive 450 Cartel Coins.
Collector’s Edition Pack = 500 Cartel Coins Special Appreciation Reward (Launch in Fall 2012)
Announcement Months = 200 Cartel Coins per Month (August – Launch in Fall 2012)
Launch of New Free-to-Play Option = 250 Cartel Coins Bonus (Launch 2012)

If I have done this quick math right, a CE owner who had subbed from launch to free to play will receive 6-8 months at 150(depending on if the 2 "free" months count), 500 for the CE, 2 months at 200(Assuming an October launch? So Aug/Sept) and the 250 coin bonus for a grand total of somewhere between 2,050 and 2,350(2,850 if the CE bonus is 1,000) depending on the variables. So 1,550 to 1,850 for standard edition owners. Now to find out the prices of things in the storefront, and the conversion rate of $ -> cartel coins.

Actually, another page says CE owners get 1,000 coins rather than 500 as a bonus, so who knows which figure is correct.

HBroward

They just announced "less than a million, but still well above the 500k(profitability) level" for subscribers during the earnings call. Sucks they didn't give us exact numbers on subs, maybe we can get it teased out in the Q&A section.

might actually come back and play a few warzones a week if i'm not too far behind gear wise

Awesome, we Imperials need a good mara to show these guys how it's done haha. And Ops can still be a pain in the ass in the hands of a good player. I think you'll have fun with it.

Well this has been in the works for a while if it's coming in the fall, which from what this all says should be probably Sept. If anything this has all been in the works and pretty much screwing us over from getting new content since this obviously probably was ready already or they had to shift work focus on the F2P transition.

At least we are getting cartel coins for our past subscription stuff.

*edit: Actually EA financials saying the transition is happening in November while the PR statement claims it's in August....

Enosh

under a million? holy shit

and september is probably the worst possible moth to release the f2p thingy because of MoP :p

HBroward

On the SWTOR/free page, it actually says CE owners are getting 1,000 coins versus the 500 the FAQ mentions. It also lists a "Heroes' Banner", whatever that will be, as a reward for CE owners as well.

*edit: Actually EA financials saying the transition is happening in November while the PR statement claims it's in August....

Nice catch!

StudioTan

Well this has been in the works for a while if it's coming in the fall, which from what this all says should be probably Sept. If anything this has all been in the works and pretty much screwing us over from getting new content since this obviously probably was ready already or they had to shift work focus on the F2P transition.

At least we are getting cartel coins for our past subscription stuff.

Is that what it says? On the info page it says we're getting "200 Cartel Coins Each paid month from August 1, 2012 to Free-to-Play option launch" which pretty much implies it's not happening in August.

I'm probably drinking the hype juice here, but it really does seem like content was delayed to shoehorn free to play.

I hope so but I agree with him, I've heard it before in other games, namely Age of Conan. Eventually I quit AoC because content was coming twice a year and was becoming paid content at that. Granting even with layoffs I'm sure the TOR dev team dwarfs the AoC team and even AoC had a sizeable expansion before content releases slowed to a crawl.

Top Bottom