• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Is that what it says? On the info page it says we're getting "200 Cartel Coins Each paid month from August 1, 2012 to Free-to-Play option launch" which pretty much implies it's not happening in August.

Yea saw that just now and it just says actually that the game is going on sale for $14.95 this August with a free month until launch of F2P, which I guess is coming in November.

I assume we will get the new premium content before then? Can't see many subscribers sticking around till November for new stuff to happen.

Enosh

Giolon

The fact that they are planning on restricting Operations to subscribers only leaves me feeling like it will be the death of the casual raiding community. Only the most hardcore will bother paying to raid.

So the new update whenever it comes is adding 10 new Space Missions? Nice

The fact that they are planning on restricting Operations to subscribers only leaves me feeling like it will be the death of the casual raiding community. Only the most hardcore will bother paying to raid.

Hardcore are the only ones who really raid, casual raiding was pretty dead seeing as if your casual you only have really EV to do and perhaps KP if your lucky to get a decent group put together. Everything past that is too difficult in story mode even. Most were gonna grow tired of playing that same 1 or 2 raids while being locked out of the rest.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Something happened to my Android security key program. Worked fine yesterday, now instead of saying something about my security key in yellow like it used to it says "Your dynamic password is:" in blue text and there is no number.

WTF? Anyone else using an Android security key app?

Something happened to my Android security key program. Worked fine yesterday, now instead of saying something about my security key in yellow like it used to it says "Your dynamic password is:" in blue text and there is no number.

WTF? Anyone else using an Android security key app?

GF had same issue, had to go to settings or such and have it synch time to make it work right, but had to keep doing it each time she wants to use it now. Whatever update they did to the app borked it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
GF had same issue, had to go to settings or such and have it synch time to make it work right, but had to keep doing it each time she wants to use it now. Whatever update they did to the app borked it.

So apparently the number is there but it's black text on the black background. I found a post on the forum that said to use the back button twice to exit out and then back in and that worked. It's back to the yellow font and correct text now. Weird. I did also have to resync the time to get it to work though but I had changed it when I was trying to get it to work earlier because it was set to the wrong time.

Trouble

Banned
Not sure how I feel about this. I've been AWOL for a while now with work and RL taking over. I'll probably let my sub lapse and come back and reassess when it goes FTP.

Cystm

Not sure how I feel about this. I've been AWOL for a while now with work and RL taking over. I'll probably let my sub lapse and come back and reassess when it goes FTP.

Seems the most logical thing to do, if you don't mind me saying.

Edit: Missed Enosh's quote

Cystm

Fuck.

awr10.gif

StudioTan

Finally got my last piece of WH gear, a relic, so now I'm full augmented WH. Yay! Actually, almost, a few of the augments are blue and not purple but it's not really a huge difference, I'll upgrade them as I can.

Sitting at valor rank 80.

Kem0sabe

Paraphrasing from something i read in the forums, is this right?

War Hero PVP? Not a chance. If your character is limited to 20 matches a week how long will it take you grind a full set of War Hero gear?

Got a character wearing Rakata gear? It's all gone.

Got a bank account with a couple million credits? It's frozen, here's a 100K and be glad for it.

Got a master crafter? All he can make now is blue gear.

Got a Zabrak main? Can't play it, only Humans are free-to-play

Got a Nightscythe? Can't use it, limited to speeder rank 1.

No quick travel, no fleet pass.

One Flashpoint a day, if you wipe and must release to medcenter that's it. Better luck tomorrow.

None of that information has been released, he is just speculating. How restrictions will work is not known. But free players are being limited weekly on how many activities they can do (FP, WZ's, Space Missions), not daily. Really doubt wiping on a FP is going to lock you out, it will surely be completion of the FP counting in whatever limit they set for the week. Race restrictions will likely be only in place for legacy unlockables and as they have said, any new races being added like the upcoming Cathar and hinted at Voss.

The faq for the F2P does not that there will be inventory and credit restrictions, we don't know how much this stuff will be yet.

Sounds like they chose the "Pay to keep your shit" model.

Typical F2P model.

You will likely be able to like most F2P games buy just the items you want, such as a small fee to remove inventory limits. For some it will be better to sub if they really want to play, but for some who don't like stuff like pvp or raids, it would probably be cheaper to just buy the unlocks and play with no sub.

War Hero PVP? Not a chance. If your character is limited to 20 matches a week how long will it take you grind a full set of War Hero gear?

Got a character wearing Rakata gear? It's all gone.

Got a bank account with a couple million credits? It's frozen, here's a 100K and be glad for it.

Got a master crafter? All he can make now is blue gear.

Got a Zabrak main? Can't play it, only Humans are free-to-play

Got a Nightscythe? Can't use it, limited to speeder rank 1.

No quick travel, no fleet pass.

One Flashpoint a day, if you wipe and must release to medcenter that's it. Better luck tomorrow.

Most of that sounds like absolute rubbish, the race thing from what they said means you wont be able to unlock new ones (like cathar)

Would totally ignore it 100%

Kem0sabe

Most of that sounds like absolute rubbish, the race thing from what they said means you wont be able to unlock new ones (like cathar)

Would totally ignore it 100%

Good, because i would have zero incentive to return if i could not keep the stuff i had before i unsubscribed :|

I liked what I played of the game, but i felt there was far too much padding.
Bioware should release a single player edit of TOR using the same content but tighter missions.

I liked what I played of the game, but i felt there was far too much padding.
Bioware should release a single player edit of TOR using the same content but tighter missions.

Depending on xp boosts you could buy, you could probably skip much of the side quests and doign the other activities if you just want to do the main story lines. I doubt they would make it too quick or easy though since players will just rush through a story and be done, it's more in their best interests to keep players around to keep potentially getting money from them.

Though perhaps they should consider doing a full purchase option that gives players access to all current content, while having no sub, then players can pay for anything new added down the road.

So im really debating the chances of the new OP etc being in whatever content is released this month, its not on the test server so I don't think they will release it.

They changed a lot on EC from test server to Live from what I remember (the tanks were way too easy so they buffed them up, they added an extra part to kephess etc)

Would be great if it does come out but I have a feeling the new content they were referring to will be limited to the world event, nightmare EC and the HK-51 quest on belsavis at most.

So im really debating the chances of the new OP etc being in whatever content is released this month, its not on the test server so I don't think they will release it.

They changed a lot on EC from test server to Live from what I remember (the tanks were way too easy so they buffed them up, they added an extra part to kephess etc)

Would be great if it does come out but I have a feeling the new content they were referring to will be limited to the world event, nightmare EC and the HK-51 quest on belsavis at most.

They said more frequent updates, so perhaps they are finally going to be putting out stuff but in a more trickle like method. HK-51 and the world event are probably happening this month. New OP is tied into stuff going on with the new daily area and quests too so it will likely be part of a large update if anything.

HBroward

I'm pretty sure the next content drop contains the following:

We have a great lineup in development including: a new Operation, Terror From Beyond, a new heroic mission series on the planet of Belsavis; a set of level 50 space combat missions for those looking for the ultimate challenge mode; introduction of a dangerous new Companion to accompany you; and for our PvP fans, a new warzone, Ancient Hypergate!

Draxal

Will need to get on test server right away if they are going to provide that to us in Aug like they say. That's a big update if all coming at once, it will need couple weeks on test server.

It's not like they listen to the players on the public test server, as many bugs mentioned on the test forum made it to live servers.

So, do I think it's going to hit in August? No. Is it possible? Yes.

Only thing, that I know is going to happen is that dps operatives are going to get nerfed again.

HBroward

Will need to get on test server right away if they are going to provide that to us in Aug like they say. That's a big update if all coming at once, it will need couple weeks on test server.

With how delayed all this content has been, I like to think it is already in a highly polished state, and will show up quickly after going on the PTS. Of course, I'm probably going to be proven wrong, but I doubt they would announce August if they couldn't realistically achieve that goal. They HAVE learned that lesson right? Right? Sigh.

With how delayed all this content has been, I like to think it is already in a highly polished state, and will show up quickly after going on the PTS. Of course, I'm probably going to be proven wrong, but I doubt they would announce August if they couldn't realistically achieve that goal. They HAVE learned that lesson right? Right? Sigh.

They didn't specify whats coming in august so it's hard to say. Like I said, we might just be getting the world event, and probably HK-51 since that stuff was around since back in the beta.

StudioTan

Good, because i would have zero incentive to return if i could not keep the stuff i had before i unsubscribed :|

If it's anything like other F2P/sub games be prepared to not have access to all your stuff or money, there will be restrictions on both.

From the FAQ:

What happens if I decide to change from being a subscription player to a Free-to-Play member?

Your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access.

HBroward

They didn't specify whats coming in august so it's hard to say. Like I said, we might just be getting the world event, and probably HK-51 since that stuff was around since back in the beta.

I'm pretty sure the list I posted a couple messages above is what we get in August. It does sound like a lot of content, but it doesn't contain all the stuff they have previously announced, like Makeb and Nightmare Denova. We kinda have to read between the lines, but they will probably drop more info shortly.

Milly79

Finally got my last piece of WH gear, a relic, so now I'm full augmented WH. Yay! Actually, almost, a few of the augments are blue and not purple but it's not really a huge difference, I'll upgrade them as I can.

Sitting at valor rank 80.

Nice! I hit 70 last night. I'm lacking head, belt/bracer, implants/ear. Debating on Matrix Cube vs. another power Relic.

There are GAFers on the imp side, but in different guilds.

Haiiii.

HBroward

I'm going to see where I stand once I get all the other pieces. The relic will be my last. I'm at 1800~ cunning and 559 power atm.

The power relic gives me higher primary and bonus damage versus the matrix, at the expense of a minuscule amount of crit(from the cunning) and endurance.

Just about to hit 68 valor, need around 110k valor to hit war hero, annoys me that I grinded all my levels prior to 1.3, I saw a valor 52 player in nearly full war hero gear earlier...

What's going to happen is that some of your stuff will be unavailable to you if your F2P but not lost, so that whenever you sub you get access to them again.

For example F2P might only get 4 character slots, which means if you have 8 you'd have to pick the 4 you want to stay active, and the other 4 will be locked out, you can see them on your char select screen but you can't use them, until you either pay to unlock character slots, or pay a sub.

Same with storage, you might not have access to your extra tabs even though you can still see the stuff in them, and you can either buy extra tabs or sub.

Yeah, that was definitely a downer, it certainly sounds like content is going to be slowly dribbled out. Well at least we have the event to look forward to.

I wouldn't mind slow dribbles as long as we get something. That would still be faster than how they have been going so far

HBroward

I wouldn't mind slow dribbles as long as we get something. That would still be faster than how they have been going so far

Yeah, but that sounded like it would take 3-4 months to get what has traditionally been in a 1.X update. Those 6 week content drops sounds like just be 1 or 2 things instead of a full content drop. Oh well, it's useless speculating until we see it in action.

CzarTim

Yeah, but that sounded like it would take 3-4 months to get what has traditionally been in a 1.X update. Those 6 week content drops sounds like just be 1 or 2 things instead of a full content drop. Oh well, it's useless speculating until we see it in action.

As opposed to the 1 content drop we've had since launch, I'll take it.

Top Bottom