• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

HBroward

As opposed to the 1 content drop we've had since launch, I'll take it.

Haha, nice one! I guess that is true, we really only got the new raid, nightmare modes, new daily, and a warzone plus rated, beyond bug fixes and legacy. Lots of patches, but not a lot of actual meaty content given the time frame. And technically we "lost" Ilum.

On an unrelated note Yooni, I give you this picture of an upcoming new in game pet.

haikira

One thing i haven't been able to find a complete confirmation about. Though i'm very certain I already know the answer.

Will you still be required to pay for the actual game, but have the option to play for free or subscribe? Or is it completely free to enter?

I've already bought the game. But just curious, for a friend.

HBroward

One thing i haven't been able to find a complete confirmation about. Though i'm very certain I already know the answer.

Will you still be required to pay for the actual game, but have the option to play for free or subscribe? Or is it completely free to enter?

You will have to buy a copy of the game still, it will be $14.99.

Wallach

From now until November you both have to pay for the game ($15) and a subscription ($15/mo.), though the purchase comes with a month of game time and some benefits for later.

In November the game will be entirely free to play with a large number of restrictions.

Heysoos

Civil War is flat out the shittiest, most unbalanced Warzone ever. It's not fun, it's not balanced, and it fucking flat out sucks. Side speeder timers were a good step forward, but of course Bioware fucking removed that because THEY ARE FUCKING MORONS. Masters of mismanagement. This Warzone is a perfect example of how bad they handled everything. Hyperbole or not, fuck Civil War.

CzarTim

Civil War is flat out the shittiest, most unbalanced Warzone ever. It's not fun, it's not balanced, and it fucking flat out sucks. Side speeder timers were a good step forward, but of course Bioware fucking removed that because THEY ARE FUCKING MORONS. Masters of mismanagement. This Warzone is a perfect example of how bad they handled everything. Hyperbole or not, fuck Civil War.

God yes.

Cystm

It needs optimization.

In your average level of play, which is at this point in "pre-season" really is to say almost every match, you are going to have a large number of people that just don't get it. Alderaan becomes a massive up hill battle if you are not the first to cap two turrets and if they get mid and have half a brain, you are likely not going to win.

I would like to see the speeder changed reversed in non ranked play. PUG play is generally not always going to be top tier, so I'll add this little caveat; at least half the time I play Alderaan, I can greatly improve our teams chances of winning by watching for the basic flaws that are common from match to match and communicating with them. PUG play isn't always going to be a winning experience because of your team, and for me, that is more of a factor than the flaws of the map.

In ranked, the initial battle for mid is akin to an arena match, in that if you get outplayed mid, you've lost the match. Each respawn wave is like a new match. You deserve to be behind, and it should be more challenging for you to come back, but given the skill, you can.

There are a few teams on The Bastion in ranked that are scary as hell. We had a match where we took mid after a tough fight. Multiple respawns and last second cap interrupts. It was a tug of war that kept going. After we finally took mid, we were still tied. They played smart, staged a push for snow, kept the healers back behind the wall, then sent there Juggs and steathers (unstealthed) towards snow. We reacted. Mid droped down from the top opening to cut them off. The mother fuckers used Intercede and Extrication to get back to where the healers were staged and the stealth classes all stealthed.
Sooooo good. I had the nerdiest of nerd boners.

Because the Juggs and healers were juking and went back to mid (4 people total) forcing us to make the call to:
  1. Back track mid and assume (re:hope) x amount of stealthers went with them and reinforce mid with the risk of losing snow as we had to have only one guy defending (So a 1v4 fight for the node) because the fight mid potentially required everyone to hold.
  2. Guess the X amount of stealthers went Snow and split with the risk of them having all gone mid and assuredly overtaking the 4 people we left on defense.

We got fucked mid as snow was called out for one of our healers, our slanger, and the Troop we already had on D. They took mid, and we could not get it back. It was so fucking top tier that even though we had 400+ shield left, we just felt like.. How do we top that? That's after we initially wore them down mid, and won the node. Based on all my experiences playing Alderaan, we should have been able to win in a fairly straight forward way after mid.

I feel like this game is what you make of it. For the most part it's varied enough in logical ways that I can still thoroughly enjoy it.

Pretty sure this is a rambling wall of text. ..

Edit: Rambling wall of text confirmed!

PS. Yooni, where are my nudes? I show you mine, you damn well better show me yours.

HBroward

Sages are typically dumb, especially DPS ones. I will pillar hump and run away from you all day.

Cystm, maybe later...

See, if more sages bothered to do that, they wouldn't be getting blown up, although if I was lethality you would probably not having gotten away with those tactics.

Cystm

Sages are typically dumb, especially DPS ones. I will pillar hump and run away from you all day.

Cystm, maybe later...

j3ftr.gif

Edit: Just to be sure anyone isn't thinking I am actually trying to get nudes...

Yooni, I am running out of over used flirtatious reaction gifs for you.

Incoming nudes.

PLEASE!!!

Edit2:
Q1ec5.gif

HBroward

Hahahaha

That was so good.

Man, you are really frustrating to play against haha, that jump, force push, jump combo really pissed me off. :)

Yeah at the end I got off an Ambush->Followthrough->Takedown combo right as time expired to kill the guy, it was pretty crazy, such a close game.

This is a seriously dumb question. At $15 I'm seriously thinking about picking up TOR. The thing is I've never played an MMO and just want to play it for the story bits since I'm a big KOTOR fan. I have nothing against MMO's, I've just never played one before. I mean, I Iove Skyrim, even though it seems like a SP MMO. If I go in and play it like a SP game will I be disappointed? I'm not opposed to playing with other people, I'm just worried since I've never played an MMO I'll suck and look like a complete “noob” if I get paired with other people. I can't handle that pressure, especially since I don't know the F keys from the back of my ass. I just got into PC gaming two years ago and I usually only play with a gamepad. I'll probably be fumbling around looking for function keys and number keys if I pick this up. Am I just being paranoid? I've got the WASD thing down pat for movement in PC games and mouse clicks, but as soon as other keys are involved I feel like an 85-year-old woman trying to play Bejeweled on Facebook. I know I should be mocked for this post BTW.

Cystm

This is a seriously dumb question. At $15 I'm seriously thinking about picking up TOR. The thing is I've never played an MMO and just want to play it for the story bits since I'm a big KOTOR fan. I have nothing against MMO's, I've just never played one before. I mean, I Iove Skyrim, even though it seems like a SP MMO. If I go in and play it like a SP game will I be disappointed? I'm not opposed to playing with other people, I'm just worried since I've never played an MMO I'll suck and look like a complete “noob” if I get paired with other people. I can't handle that pressure, especially since I don't know the F keys from the back of my ass. I just got into PC gaming two years ago and I usually only play with a gamepad. I'll probably be fumbling around looking for function keys and number keys if I pick this up. Am I just being paranoid? I've got the WASD thing down pat for movement in PC games and mouse clicks, but as soon as other keys are involved I feel like an 85-year-old woman trying to play Bejeweled on Facebook. I know I should be mocked for this post BTW.

Not at all.

You can try it out for free right now, till level 15. There are a myriad of opinions on the single player approach. Just try it for yourself. I'm sure you've heard, but it's going F2play in November, so that's something to take into consideration - Paying the 15$ month now for what your primary focus in the game is, when it will be accessible for free in a few months. Read through the updates to get more info on that.

Milly79

No, you're going to LOVE it if you only play it like a SP game. There is literally nothing to do at end-game with the current content out there.

Team agent ftw.

I needed more kills, 65 just wasn't enough :p

On content patch wise I saw someone worked out the gaps between 1.1-1.2, 1.2-1.3 being on the test server. Apparently if they stuck to the same time frame technically 1.4 should be on the PTS on the 20th of August (obviously this is just an approximation, god knows if Bioware even have a schedule at this point or whether they are dumping all their efforts into free to play)

SRTtoZ

I feel completely gyped ONLY because I paid full price a week ago and then this $15 thing is announced. However anyone thinking about the game should try it, I absolutely LOVE it. The story quests are great, the graphics are solid (maxed out anyway) and its just plain fun. My only few gripes are I wish queue times were faster and there was player housing. The F2P thing doesnt bother me one bit considering LOTRO and DCUO got better when they went F2P. They are not changing the game at all, they are just giving more options to players. I believe that EA had F2P in mind all along considering they came out a while ago saying "Micro transactions are the future" blah blah blah blah.

Alur

See, if more sages bothered to do that, they wouldn't be getting blown up, although if I was lethality you would probably not having gotten away with those tactics.

This is true to a point. In most normal WZs I can skip through on Qruul with anywhere from 0-3 deaths and ridiculous amounts of healing. Not so much when I play a pre-made who knows me though. And my issues in ranked on Qruul are well documented in previous posts :p.

Any organized team will blow you up first, you are the easiest of easy pickings in comparison to any other class at this point in time. There's only so much kiting you can do when they know you and want to get in those pants.

I honestly can't wait for a patch though, I still <3 Qruul and would rather play him than my operative.

EDIT: You shouldn't be allowed near a Vanguard, Heysoos. You are annoying enough in WZs as it is.

Milly79

Hahahaha

That was so good.

I zone in to a 2 - 0 game and this is what I see:

3EzJw.png

Aww, I have fans!!!

With that being said, here you go, Cystm! You asked for it, so I FRAPS'd it.

Excuse the random noises, as before Fraps wasn't picking up everything on my mic, now it is. Also, the FPS drops a bit here and there, otherwise it seems stable (to me anyway). And I don't know why it cuts up in the middle a bit, it evens out after that. I don't recall it getting that bad in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3aVtxJOn5U&feature=youtu.be

Cystm

Aww, I have fans!!!

With that being said, here you go, Cystm! You asked for it, so I FRAPS'd it.

Excuse the random noises, as before Fraps wasn't picking up everything on my mic, now it is. Also, the FPS drops a bit here and there, otherwise it seems stable (to me anyway). And I don't know why it cuts up in the middle a bit, it evens out after that. I don't recall it getting that bad in-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3aVtxJOn5U&feature=youtu.be

Nice! I am surprised you didn't mark me.

HBroward

Nice! I am surprised you didn't mark me.

We don't have to mark GAF, Yooni and I know to shoot you guys. That's usually all the dps we get lucky enough to end up with anyway. But your tank won't be getting much attention from me in my marksmanship spec, I'll leave killing you to Yooni. Feel free to roll something squishier though! You can hear my frustration with you several times in the video Yooni posted. ;)

Milly79

We don't have to mark GAF, Yooni and I know to shoot you guys. That's usually all the dps we get lucky enough to end up with anyway. But your tank won't be getting much attention from me in my marksmanship spec, I'll leave killing you to Yooni. Feel free to roll something squishier though!

Is he even a tank? I was pretty sure he was DPS smash.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
few questions b4 i maybe start up again

1) are dps operatives still ass?
2) are maras still gods?
3) where is gear at? are we still at war hero?
4) jedi covenant still active?
5) are ranked warzones out yet? how are they?

thanks in advance

HBroward

few questions b4 i maybe start up again

2) are maras still gods?

thanks in advance

1) Not in the hands of a skilled player, in the context of a team. Not going to be top dps, but the intangibles make up for it in my opinion.
2) Same as you left, no balance changes so far.
3) Still War Hero/Campaign Gear level.
4) Still very active, although Guild Wars 2 is coming in several weeks.
5) Ranked preseason is out, basically a couple guilds dominating the others, very composition based. I think a lot of people are stilling gearing to the level they feel they need to be competitive, but there are random groups of undergeared teams that queue to get their asses handed to them.

Alur

2) are maras still gods?

1) For rated, yes. For normals...well, it's your game :). Operative healers are the best heals in PVP atm, so you'd be silly to not be doing that with yours if you are playing him, IMO.

2) Yessir, but not the unquestioned gods now. Powertechs/vanguards take that cake.

3) War Hero still. Rated makes it very quick to get...the problem is there aren't many rated teams.

4) Yes, still around 275-300 a night at peak on fleet on imp side.

5) Yes rated is out, and it kinda is what it is. It started out with lots of folks but it's really petered out. I play on the top team imp side (The Turks) on my operative healer, but top is a relative term. We are top because we went on a two week rampage beating everyone and then sadly everyone else quit due to losing, boredom, or Guild Wars 2 basically.

We are basically the only team that queues on a regular basis now for Imperial, with Uncensored being the only team that queues regularly on pub side. We are right at dead even in wins versus losses over the last month or so between us.

If rated is a selling point for you, I'd wait til they do cross server. It's basically dead on JC for anyone who isn't on those two teams.

On the plus side, Jedi Covenant has a very active normal warzone queue still and there are lots and lots of raiding guilds.

Alur

so did starsiders quit or they just suck now?

Most quit before the server merge happened. Wahnsinnige/Maniac, Auri, and like 3 others were left. They merged into PD and I haven't seen Wahn but once in three weeks. Auri not much either since the merge. They were disenfranchised with rated too IIRC, since they couldn't make a full SS only team.

Jrmint

It's great. If you are a tank/healer you are looking at instantaneous queues, if you are DPS, and depending on the time of day, you are looking at a two to ten minute wait.
I assume that's for max level right?

Any experience with leveling dungeons? Either way that's not bad.

Top Bottom