• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

So Star Wars Celebration is in 2 weeks and Bioware was supposed to be there for TOR. Now looking at the info on the Celebration site they are not listed anywhere nor any SWTOR panels even. So Bioware will not be at one of the largest Star Wars conventions in the world? Celebration is about the size of many of the major cons but purely for Star Wars and biggest gathering of fanboys, and they got nothing planned?

The official site for TOR says they are supposed to be there.... let me guess, they are going to have a couple random EA hired dudes at a booth and that is all?

This is prime place for them to to be pimping the game, to the real fanboys and it looks like they are just ignoring it now.

*edit: actually now see that they removed Celebration from their events page, so they will not be there at all for sure now.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
so apparantly getting the juggernaut pvp set bonus (10% bonus damage after charge vs 15s off of undying rage) is amazing for marauders rofl. too bad it takes like 3000 hours of regular warzones to get full war hero.

*edit: actually now see that they removed Celebration from their events page, so they will not be there at all for sure now.
Yep. They probably decided to not attend after they let go some community team members during the layoffs. I wish they had some presence there though to attract more people to the game.

Cystm

Got a "Loyalty Reward Box" in the mail today. Twenty five BH Comms, and some pet.

Neato.

4yU2Y.jpg

WORLD EVENT. NOW.

Playing with your new pet is like an event! Right....?

Yep. They probably decided to not attend after they let go some community team members during the layoffs. I wish they had some presence there though to attract more people to game.

Yup layoffs probably hurt there capability to do conventions. Biggest SW con in the world and you would figure it would be prime promo location though. Was hoping to big up some of those con exclusive tauntauns too :p

Jrmint

Reinstalling now, haven't played since launch month.

Recently upgraded from 2 gigs of memory to 6. Hoping it'll run better.

Tarazet

I took a break from WoW to have some fun on my lowbie Operative (lv 41). I switched between all three specs over the course of the afternoon. Started as Concealment and went around the map looking for anyone that was alone to rape. After the third match, I actually had a Sorcerer tel me and complain that I killed her over and over. XD I had 6 solo kills in that match. Respec'd to Lethality at that point. More overall damage, less burst (can't even get the 2.5k hit medal), less CC, less fun, less survivability. Without the speedy stealth and knockdown, much harder to control the fight on your terms. Then I finished the night as a healer. I was doubling the numbers that I had been doing for damage and dying half as often. They were hitting me, but not with the kind of fervor they did when I was a DPS, and running away made them lose interest quickly.

Cystm

I took a break from WoW to have some fun on my lowbie Operative (lv 41). I switched between all three specs over the course of the afternoon. Started as Concealment and went around the map looking for anyone that was alone to rape. After the third match, I actually had a Sorcerer tel me and complain that I killed her over and over. XD I had 6 solo kills in that match. Respec'd to Lethality at that point. More overall damage, less burst (can't even get the 2.5k hit medal), less CC, less fun, less survivability. Without the speedy stealth and knockdown, much harder to control the fight on your terms. Then I finished the night as a healer. I was doubling the numbers that I had been doing for damage and dying half as often. They were hitting me, but not with the kind of fervor they did when I was a DPS, and running away made them lose interest quickly.

OPs are really fun.

Alur

so apparantly getting the juggernaut pvp set bonus (10% bonus damage after charge vs 15s off of undying rage) is amazing for marauders rofl. too bad it takes like 3000 hours of regular warzones to get full war hero.

Yep, the marauders in our rated group were all over that a couple weeks ago grinding it out and OMGing. I don't feel like getting WH gear is that bad anymore, especially on this new server. Compared to the end of KV it's a walk in the park. At least there are regular normal WZs on JC. If it wasn't a halfway long grind there would really be nothing at all to do.

So they commented on not being at Celebration, pretty much saying because of the changes going on (people fired).

Still think it's a huge missed opportunity, so many of those attending would be the most ideal fans to target. I can understand rather on focusing on huge games convention, but only a small portion of that audience is going to care at this point about SWTOR. With the F2P stuff it would have been big for them to present this and entice the actual hardcore star wars fans. You get huge con of pure star wars die hards many of which travel to it from all over including overseas. Last Celebration I went too, so many folks from all over Europe and even many from Japan.

Alur

Just chalk it up to another bad management decision. These dudes can't see the forest for the trees, nor the dead end that's coming for the heads that are up their asses. I just don't understand what they are possibly doing behind closed doors. It's like they live in a glass bubble and cannot fathom what the rest of us are seeing.

Draxal

Well at least they are botherting to post something.

I'm afraid my answers here may be a little disappointing, since most of this revolves around questions about the future, but I will answer with the best I can.

1. No information about space right now; apologies!

2. Nightmare Explosive Conflict has not been scrapped. Still in the works!

3. Don't have any information about open world PvP at the moment.

4. 1.4 is coming along quite well. While your class feedback has been compiled and sent up, not every class change you see in 1.4 will necessarily be based on it, but we did appreciate the very constructive feedback we got.

I think 1.4 is going to hit in Sepember at the earliest.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Communication is good. People just want to know what's going on. I'm thinking info on the new patch will come out next week since they're going to be at Gamescom.

I know this won't happen but if they're really planning on releasing new content every 6 weeks I would love to see this:

Content release
2 weeks later - next content info
2 weeks later - content on PTS
2 weeks later - Content release
Repeat

Obviously barring issues during testing and whatnot.

It's much easier to be patient for stuff if you have some sort of regular schedule for things. Right now we have no idea when anything is coming, it's frustrating.

Alur

Communication is good...
...It's much easier to be patient for stuff if you have some sort of regular schedule for things. Right now we have no idea when anything is coming, it's frustrating.

I'm with you 100%. Just be straight with us and let us know. Sure the forum trolls will eat you alive, but hell they are doing that anyway. All we want to know is how long or what, one or the other would be nice. They don't have to give us the entire patch notes, just something.

Gamestop is selling the collector's edition for $30.

I went out and grabbed one today. You get 30 days of subscriptions, the statue, soundtrack, artbook, in games goodies, plus 1000 cartel coins when the game goes F2P. At $30 it's a steal.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I went out and grabbed one today. You get 30 days of subscriptions, the statue, soundtrack, artbook, in games goodies, plus 1000 cartel coins when the game goes F2P. At $30 it's a steal.

Can you add that stuff to an existing account?

Well at least they are botherting to post something.

I'm afraid my answers here may be a little disappointing, since most of this revolves around questions about the future, but I will answer with the best I can.

1. No information about space right now; apologies!

2. Nightmare Explosive Conflict has not been scrapped. Still in the works!

3. Don't have any information about open world PvP at the moment.

4. 1.4 is coming along quite well. While your class feedback has been compiled and sent up, not every class change you see in 1.4 will necessarily be based on it, but we did appreciate the very constructive feedback we got.

I think 1.4 is going to hit in Sepember at the earliest.

I do hope that they use gamescon to announce 1.4 date since they are pimping their appearance at the show. It really shouldn't be that far friggin off, they were demoing the new heroic dreadmaster stuff already at E3 and there gonna have demos of the new warzone at gamescon.

Milly79

Trevin, can you link me to the thread on SWTOR.com with who makes what? I'm three pages back on the JC forum and I have only found a thread asking who can make the armorings.

Nvm, I found it.

All Holocron can make are mods/enhances.

And we need to find a way to get CSR's to refund us stuff and make loads off of it. Remember how there was a Black/Blue power we couldn't figure out how? There's now a Skill Armor 26 [Legs] sitting on the GTN.

HBroward

Trevin, can you link me to the thread on SWTOR.com with who makes what? I'm three pages back on the JC forum and I have only found a thread asking who can make the armorings.

Nvm, I found it.

All Holocron can make are mods/enhances.

And we need to find a way to get CSR's to refund us stuff and make loads off of it. Remember how there was a Black/Blue power we couldn't figure out how? There's now a Skill Armor 26 [Legs] sitting on the GTN.

I think they can craft a couple of the armorings that just aren't on that list, wasn't the person Barbiegirl got the Resolve armorings from in Holocron also? I just double checked, because last night our op group were saying you couldn't craft armorings, but it is indeed possible, and we do have a couple people on our server who can(I just don't know their names).

Edit: And that is crazy about the leg armoring, I bet people will start abusing the restore feature real fast, you can make some real nice money on stuff like that. Good thing you only get like 3 restores ever right? Or is it per 12 months?

Rokal

Would an existing non-CE account get the 30 days? Probably not, right?

Cystm

Would an existing non-CE account get the 30 days? Probably not, right?

Correct.

Greetings _______,

Unfortunately the 30 days provided with a retail key are only available on new accounts.
On the terms and conditions located at the bottom of the purchase page here it states that “THE FIRST 30 DAYS OF SUBSCRIPTION ARE INCLUDED IN THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT”.

As your account has had it’s 30 free days with the initial purchase you will not receive another 30 free days.

Thank You for your query.

Though, I disagree on that. You should be able to get a free month for upgrading to the CE for another $30.

UltraMav

Uh I'm pretty sure I got an extra 30 days added after upgrading to the CE. I'm on a monthly sub and haven't hit my usual due date for the month and it says I won't be billed again until September.

Cystm

For $30 it is worth the upgrade either way.

Also, I shat on the CE when it was $150 - for being over priced fluff, but for $30? It's on the other end of the spectrum now. You would be a fool to get into the game without getting the CE.

CE Unboxing(Click for video):

Looks like they are trying to really push to get the communication on their boards going on which is good, course folks wont be happy till they get actual content release dates but either way... hopefully they don't get fired and stop this

Also, I shat on the CE when it was $150 - for being over priced fluff, but for $30? It's on the other end of the spectrum now. You would be a fool to get into the game without getting the CE.

Totally agree. I just got mine today. Love it for $30, but $150 was just too high for MSRP. $100 I could see, $150 was highway robbery.

I waited 'til now to jump into the game. I figured it would eventually go FTP, and that would be the time to join. Can't beat FTP in November + $30 CE now!

Any tips for a new player? I'm starting with the free trial 'til level 15, then I'll use my CE registration key to upgrade and burn through the 30 free days.

Cystm

Totally agree. I just got mine today. Love it for $30, but $150 was just too high for MSRP. $100 I could see, $150 was highway robbery.

I waited 'til now to jump into the game. I figured it would eventually go FTP, and that would be the time to join. Can't beat FTP in November + $30 CE now!

Any tips for a new player? I'm starting with the free trial 'til level 15, then I'll use my CE registration key to upgrade and burn through the 30 free days.

• GAF is on Jedi Covenant. You can type /who GAF in game and ask someone for an invite.
  • Jedi consular appears to be the least enjoyable class story in the game. Mechanically they are fun, but if you are more interested in the story aspect of the game, avoid.
  • Everthing is solo'able for the most part, but coming in new, try to find groups where you can. The servers are densely populated on all planets now, so doing so isn't to difficult.
  • When you do solo, try to keep a supply of med packs on you, and utilize your cool downs as effectively as possible.

Aside from that, the OP has you covered for the most part. If you played WoW at all, I recommend giving this a read.

Oh ok cool. Is it still open invites for all gaffers?

Yeah, just /who GAF.

I definitely got the extra 30 days when I redeemed my CE code.

My sub was set to expire on Aug 17 (six month sub + initial free month + bonus free month), now it says Sept 17.

It's the Gentle Giant Statue. Their statues that size usually goes for $80-120. They aren't even that great of statue company and are overpriced. It bloated the price of the CE big time.

Thanks for the tips and for making the OP. Helpful stuff, much appreciated.

If you played WoW at all, I recommend giving this a read.

Nope, I've watched a little bit of WoW, but never played it myself. This will only be my second MMO, I spent a few months in City of Heroes way back in 2005.

It's the Gentle Giant Statue. Their statues that size usually goes for $80-120. They aren't even that great of statue company and are overpriced. It bloated the price of the CE big time.

I don't think the Darth Malgus would have gone for that much if sold separately. Probably half that.

I love Gentle Giant's animated maquettes. I've got a bunch of the Star Wars ones (Han, Chewie, 3PO & R2, Luke, Leia, Stormtrooper, etc.) and the LOTR Gimli & Legolas. The Darth Malgus statue isn't quite as good quality, it's more akin to the Star Wars Unleashed plastic statue line Hasbro released years ago.

But regardless, I do agree that it was the justification for charging so much for the CE, however, it's not even a remotely accurate valuation of the statue.

[Rant]

I just reminded myself this morning why I'd mostly gravitated away from PC gaming.

Using the CE DVD discs, I installed the game last night. I started up the client, which then had to download at least 1.5 gigs of info to update the game. Since my internet is slow as shit, I just let it download overnight.

Got up in the morning to test out the game. Launched it, it looked to be going fine, got to the splash page, then started one of the CGI videos I'd already seen when they were first released by Bioware (seriously, they need to make full-length features out of that stuff). Since I'd seen the video before, I hit escape, then was unceremoniously booted back to the desktop.

Started the game up again. This time, splash page, then boom, back to the desktop. I knew something was wrong, so I went to the Googler to solve the problem. Found some SW:TOR forum post mentioning something about changing info in the config .ini file. Tried that, no luck. Then I found another post mentioning re-downloading the client and running the install of the client again. Sure enough, that fixed my problem.

Why this was necessary, I'm not sure. I realize that they likely made some changes to the client since release, therefore invalidating the client version I had on my install discs, but shouldn't that, you know, auto update itself during installation or the subsequent download of 1.5 gigs of new information?

So, yeah, anyway, this is why I moved away from PC gaming. I definitely see the benefits from being part of the "master race," but damn if it isn't more complicated than it should be most of the time.

[/Rant]

So what character class should I choose? Are there too many Jedi/Sith running around as it is?

HBroward

BW co-founder left the dev team.

Congratulations, I hereby confer upon you my formal title of Minister of Misinformation. May you wear the title proudly, and always convey information that is fresh and new and totally unvetted. :)

Edit: And on Jedi Covenant, there is only a republic GAF guild left. Us imperial Gaffers are spread amongst a couple different guilds.

Heysoos

[Rant]

I just reminded myself this morning why I'd mostly gravitated away from PC gaming.

Using the CE DVD discs, I installed the game last night. I started up the client, which then had to download at least 1.5 gigs of info to update the game. Since my internet is slow as shit, I just let it download overnight.

Got up in the morning to test out the game. Launched it, it looked to be going fine, got to the splash page, then started one of the CGI videos I'd already seen when they were first released by Bioware (seriously, they need to make full-length features out of that stuff). Since I'd seen the video before, I hit escape, then was unceremoniously booted back to the desktop.

Started the game up again. This time, splash page, then boom, back to the desktop. I knew something was wrong, so I went to the Googler to solve the problem. Found some SW:TOR forum post mentioning something about changing info in the config .ini file. Tried that, no luck. Then I found another post mentioning re-downloading the client and running the install of the client again. Sure enough, that fixed my problem.

Why this was necessary, I'm not sure. I realize that they likely made some changes to the client since release, therefore invalidating the client version I had on my install discs, but shouldn't that, you know, auto update itself during installation or the subsequent download of 1.5 gigs of new information?

So, yeah, anyway, this is why I moved away from PC gaming. I definitely see the benefits from being part of the "master race," but damn if it isn't more complicated than it should be most of the time.

[/Rant]

So what character class should I choose? Are there too many Jedi/Sith running around as it is?

Pick anything you think you might enjoy. FOTM at the moment are Vanguards/Powertechs so you'll see a lot of those. But yeah, pick whatever you feel like you want to play.

Republic GAF is still alive, Imperial GAF is mostly spread around different imp guilds now.

Top Bottom