• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

SpudBud

Still no world event?

It's like they don't even want me to come back. :/

It's nice to know that the GAF guild is still going strong.

Milly79

WOOT.

ChazDoit: I’m not much interested in Flashpoints and Operations but will I be able to purchase other features like full access to Warzones, purchase extra character slots, bank slots, and travel features?

Damion Schubert: Yes! When the Free-to-Play option goes live, players will be able to purchase key upgrades to their game experience allowing them to bypass some restrictions, and this list will expand as time goes on. We will have more information about some of these in coming weeks.

BOO!

VulcanLogic: I have all 8 character slots used up. If I choose the Free-to-Play option, do I get to decide which character slots will be active?

Damion Schubert: Once we institute these limitations, players will absolutely be able to choose which characters are their active characters.

Q&A

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-free-play-edition

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Sounds a lot like the AoC F2P model. You can buy limited time passes to raids, I think it's 1, 3 and 7 days, or you can pay to unlock them permanently. AoC also limits how many characters you can play, I had to choose which to make available, the rest are locked unless I pay to unlock them. They also limited the amount of money you could have. You could go over but everything over the cap was unavailable so you couldn't make any really big purchases.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Hopefully it's nothing like AoC, as that is one of the worst implementations of F2P i've ever seen.

I honestly haven't played it as F2P, I just logged in after my sub ran out to see what would happen.

The fact that I couldn't access the expansion areas is really what pissed me off enough to not want to play. I had just paid $30 for it the year before, that content shouldn't have been locked out.

So I just bought the digital deluxe version. Added it to my account. Now the client says I have to subscription and won't let me play, even for free. The webpage says I have 30 days. What is going on?

zugzug

So I just bought the digital deluxe version. Added it to my account. Now the client says I have to subscription and won't let me play, even for free. The webpage says I have 30 days. What is going on?

did you set up your subscription with credit card info or other means, even just to get the free 30 days you need to set up and act like your a paying subscriber then unsubscribe before the 30 free days end.

Tarazet

so apparantly getting the juggernaut pvp set bonus (10% bonus damage after charge vs 15s off of undying rage) is amazing for marauders rofl. too bad it takes like 3000 hours of regular warzones to get full war hero.

You can get the set bonus off of Battlemaster pieces or even an old Champion shell if you still have it. I'm debating shifting some PVE mods into my old Champion Field Tech shells to get the 2-piece PVP bonus for my Sniper. An extra tick of Orbital Strike equates to an additional 33% damage from our big holyshit cooldown.. I even see PvE Operatives running with that set bonus.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
You can get the set bonus off of Battlemaster pieces or even an old Champion shell if you still have it. I'm debating shifting some PVE mods into my old Champion Field Tech shells to get the 2-piece PVP bonus for my Sniper. An extra tick of Orbital Strike equates to an additional 33% damage from our big holyshit cooldown.. I even see PvE Operatives running with that set bonus.

Yeah my operative still uses the rakata set for the 15% extra crit on backstab. Unfortunately maras can't do that with jugg BM gear because it's heavy.

UltraMav

Was thinking of doing this for my PvP set as well, but was curious as to whether or not the armor bonus from the shell overrides War Hero armoring set bonuses or vice-versa?

Jrmint

So what happened to ImpGAF? I've been reading through the first 10 or so pages of this OT2 and ImpGAF seemed alive in well in like May? What exactly happened?

I am really enjoying my Sith Marauder a lot more than my Republic Smuggler and would love to play with some Gaffers on Jedi Covenant.

Yooni found me in Fleet Chat and let me know it broke up. Is there a Guild where most of you are concentrated on? Would love to be able to get together with some of you guys.

Cystm

So what happened to ImpGAF? I've been reading through the first 10 or so pages of this OT2 and ImpGAF seemed alive in well in like May? What exactly happened?

I am really enjoying my Sith Marauder a lot more than my Republic Smuggler and would love to play with some Gaffers on Jedi Covenant.

Yooni found me in Fleet Chat and let me know it broke up. Is there a Guild where most of you are concentrated on? Would love to be able to get together with some of you guys.

ImpGAF is spread out across different guilds. I believe Alur is in The Turks, one of the better PvP guilds. Myself, Yooni, and Hbroward have characters in Fusion. There are some in Elite Empire too, I believe.

Anyone else? I am forgetting a ton of people..

My thinking is once the game goes F2play we should remake ImpGAF. I think most of the ImpGAFers are content where they are at for now.

Zafir

Sigh, Civil War needs fixing with the sap interrupts that Shadows/Scoundrels can do. If there's a smart one around you aren't going to manage to cap a node back. Needs a cooldown or something like every other CC.

HBroward

Yeah, if we had enough good people to raid I would be happy to get back in a GAF Empire guild. That's the main reason it fell apart, we didn't actively try to merge with other guilds as people dropped the game, and came to the point where we had to pug too many spots in raids each week. We are all in good raid groups at the moment with our mains, but we could get our alts all into a guild together or something, and then just go from there.

ShaneB

It feels taboo to admit I'm excited to start playing this soon. I was excited as heck for GW2, and I guess I still am, but being among the first players generally causes chaos and everything turns into a bit of a clusterfuck. I've always wanted to play the Star Wars/Sci-fi mmo type of scenario, and sure it's nothing ground breaking, but I've enjoyed what I have played just with the little roaming around I've done.

Cystm

Sigh, Civil War needs fixing with the sap interrupts that Shadows/Scoundrels can do. If there's a smart one around you aren't going to manage to cap a node back. Needs a cooldown or something like every other CC.

Break him out of stealth. Would you like them to put it on an 8sec CD?

That reminds me, today I capped snow in Alderaan with my Slinger while using Hunker Down. This terrible Assassin panicked and was spamming Mind Trap on me when all he had to do was use a basic attack and Force Cloak - Or ANYTHING else to break the cap. He finally figured it out after the cap.

I was dying.

Yeah my operative still uses the rakata set for the 15% extra crit on backstab. Unfortunately maras can't do that with jugg BM gear because it's heavy.

All marauders have to do is buy the jugg war hero gear and take the armorings out and put it into medium gear to get the set bonus, takes a bit longer but it is still possible.

Zafir

Break him out of stealth. Would you like them to put it on an 8sec CD?

That reminds me, today I capped snow in Alderaan with my Slinger while using Hunker Down. This terrible Assassin panicked and was spamming Mind Trap on me when all he had to do was use a basic attack and Force Cloak - Or ANYTHING else to break the cap. He finally figured it out after the cap.

I was dying.
Easier said than done if you don't have a spammable aoe. Plus any smart one will stay out of the way, and run in when you go for the cap, meaning they won't get hit by stealth scan, or aoe. Plus then they can combat stealth and you get to start over again. I suppose the other solution is to make it so it fully fils your resolve bar. At the moment it fills it to about 600 or something.

Mind you, it's no where near as much of an issue in Novare Coast. I think that capping is done much better.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
All marauders have to do is buy the jugg war hero gear and take the armorings out and put it into medium gear to get the set bonus, takes a bit longer but it is still possible.

yeah that's what i said earlier, was just responding to the dude that thought it was possible with bm. dat bonus is too good, but takes way too long to get 4 war hero at 3000 a piece.

Cystm

Easier said than done if you don't have a spammable aoe. Plus any smart one will stay out of the way, and run in when you go for the cap, meaning they won't get hit by stealth scan, or aoe. Plus then they can combat stealth and you get to start over again. I suppose the other solution is to make it so it fully fils your resolve bar. At the moment it fills it to about 600 or something.

Mind you, it's no where near as much of an issue in Novare Coast. I think that capping is done much better.

I'm sure there are a number of stealth classes that would conversely suggest a nerf on AoE range. I don't think it's IMBA, and think they should be able to harass a target on a node.

But, yeah, they can be really pesky to deal with.

Jrmint

It is unreal how fun Sith Marauders are.

There is something just so satisfying about beating the crap out of things with dual lightsabers and then making dark Sith Lord conversation decisions in role play.

Wish I played this class from the start

Now that my Medic operative is in full augmented WH, (with only some blue augs left to be upgraded to purple) I decided to push my Shieldtech Powertech to 50 so I could get on with his gear grind and spent the last couple of weeks doing it. Now he's all Battlemaster except for the WH main-hand and the Champion relics.

Wow.

The difference between an Operative and a Powertech in recruit gear is huge. Whereas at the start my operative felt fairly useless, my Powertech was hitting the top of the medal table easily. Gear gain is much faster, because you aren't limited to the two-three "respirating healer" medals when you are in a bad team - it's rare that I don't get 8 medals at least in a wz. Now that I'm in Battlemaster Supercommando (yes, I'm in tank gear) I quite happily solo people in WH (I know the models).

I've had some priceless moments along the way, including one WH DPS sorc whinging that there were too many people in recruit in our team (I topped the medals table, and did more damage in recruit tank gear than he did damage and healing, oh, and more protection than he did healing).

Shieldtech: Still awesome at 50!

Also, Huttball with my Powertech is awesome.

I'm pretty sure resolve prevents that happening.

I can get two saps (whatever it's called in this game) done before your resolve bar fills and it's worthless. Unless there's some talent down the Concealment tree that I don't know about for resolve-less stuns...

Zafir

I'm pretty sure resolve prevents that happening.

I can get two saps (whatever it's called in this game) done before your resolve bar fills and it's worthless. Unless there's some talent down the Concealment tree that I don't know about for resolve-less stuns...
You can sap twice yes, but you miss my point. Sapping twice can give about 25seconds odd of buying time. Then once resolve is full, you can just attack them and get out of stealth wait until their resolve goes down again, combat stealth and do it all over again. Giving you effectively about a min? If your team can't get to the node to help in that time, then your team deserves to lose.

I think being able to be sapped once is enough. It would give around 15 seconds + combat time for delaying until backup arrives, which should be more than enough for a competent team.

As I said, Civil War is part of the issue itself. With how the speeders work, it already makes it incredibly hard to cap a node. It exaggerates the issue with being able to buy so much time with sapping.

Edit - I've just noticed I haven't factored in the cap time. A minute though is pretty unrealistic!

You have two eight second stuns and you really don't want to dart them at the last second because of lag. So let's be fair and say 20 seconds of preventing the flag cap.

Here's what needs to happen for that to work:

Vanish needs to be available.
Evasion (whatever the TOR name for this is) needs to be available to (clear dots).
You need to actually drop out of combat (oh how I hate that from the other side of things) when I vanish.
There needs to be only one of you - sleep dart affects only one target.

The third of these is a real killer because unless there is just the two of us (and even then the stars don't always align to allow this to happen) there's lots of other stuff going on keeping you and/or me in combat.

Zafir

Well, I'l admit I've mostly had it happen with Shadows more than I have Operatives, and what makes them such a pain is, they're mostly tanks(I rarely see any DPS Shadow/Assassins anymore, probably because they're so squishy) and so they take ages to kill. And when you do get them low on health, they use their resist cd to get rid of dots and prevent stuns, speedboost away and then combat stealth. 1min really isn't unreasonable in that sense.

Well, I'l admit I've mostly had it happen with Shadows more than I have Operatives, and what makes them such a pain is, they're mostly tanks(I rarely see any DPS Shadow/Assassins anymore, probably because their so squishy) and so they take ages to kill. And when you do get them low on health, they use their resist cd to get rid of dots and prevent stuns, speedboost away and then combat stealth. 1min really isn't unreasonable in that sense.

That's probably true. I hate fighting assassin tanks too if it's any comfort.

When I'm defending a side node, I tend to run laps around the platform healing myself, LoSing the attackers with the sides and attacking to interrupt when I can see the turret. I last longer that way.

vilmer_

https://twitter.com/Asros/status/235030147705761792

Next SWTOR live event starting very soon. Fan sites got a heads up this morning. More info coming shortly.

239vz.gif

StudioTan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x1NELWJh0k&feature=player_embedded

Okay, that looks good.

I'm holding hope for this week, but I'd assume it will probably be next. Maybe even Bioware wants to be real fuckers and throw it out when GW2 launches.

Cool, says it requires a starship so either they just mean getting to Nar Shaddaa or hopefully it means having to do some flying around to space stations or something.

The last event lasted 9 days, hopefully this one lasts a bit longer.

HBroward

Cool, says it requires a starship so either they just mean getting to Nar Shaddaa or hopefully it means having to do some flying around to space stations or something.

The last event lasted 9 days, hopefully this one lasts a bit longer.

This one has a quest on each planet basically, you'll be hunting for specific items the Conglomerate wants each day it seems. Then you have to decide
whether to give the items to the Chevin or the Imps/Pubs, and you'll get different titles/rewards as a result of your choice. This event also ties in to the current story continuing through the Operations, and leads to the next supposedly from the leaks.

StudioTan

This one has a quest on each planet basically, you'll be hunting for specific items the Conglomerate wants each day it seems. Then you have to decide
whether to give the items to the Chevin or the Imps/Pubs, and you'll get different titles/rewards as a result of your choice!

Nice :)

Milly79

whether to give the items to the Chevin or the Imps/Pubs, and you'll get different titles/rewards as a result of your choice. This event also ties in to the current story continuing through the Operations, and leads to the next supposedly from the leaks.

So, good news is I have 4 50s, right?

If it's like the last event I'm sure anyone with a ship will be able to participate.

Yea the bad guys scaled their levels depending on the player who starts the aggro. Previous event was also limited in that it required basically for players to have at least reach Tatooine. If this is going to be across all planets, then that will be a limiting factor for some players who will have to deal with higher level mobs on the later planets

Top Bottom