• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Enosh

Depending on what's included they will have to charge us. You can't release a huge chunk of content for free and not capitalize on it.
yes usually MMOs charge for expansion, but by the sound of it this thing is one planet, a warzone and dungeon or two and an ops, that's a free update by any standards and in the context of the game loosing subs like crazy coming out and charging people for anything else than a full fleshed out expansion would be crazy

yes usually MMOs charge for expansion, but by the sound of it this thing is one planet, a warzone and dungeon or two and an ops, that's a free update by any standards and in the context of the game loosing subs like crazy coming out and charging people for anything else than a full fleshed out expansion would be crazy

The warzone, ops, flashpoints are not part of Makeb stuff, those are coming free to us. What Makeb actually entails is unknown to us still and potentially it's going to be huge if they plan on raising level cap using that planet. Makeb is probably far off, likely not till next year and who knows what will happen. For all we know it will be purchasable with cartel coins which subscribers already get each month also. But we might get lucky and they keep it free to subscribers and sold to everyone else.

If they do charge for it, it better come along with a bunch of content.

Cystm

eOQom.gif

Tarazet

I've never played a BH, is Powertech pretty op right now?

Yes, and it's infinitely easier to play than a Marauder too (in Pyro spec). You pretty much open with Incendiary Missile, Rail Shot, then spam Rocket Punch or Flame Burst until you get another Rail Shot proc. They're the #1 glass cannon class right now.

Zafir

Yes, and it's infinitely easier to play than a Marauder too (in Pyro spec). You pretty much open with Incendiary Missile, Rail Shot, then spam Rocket Punch or Flame Burst until you get another Rail Shot proc. They're the #1 glass cannon class right now.

I last longer on my VG than I do on my Rage Jugg, so I wouldn't call them that glassy. :p That's probably more due to VGs being slightly more rangey mind, can avoid attention a bit better.

Cystm

4 50s, 3 in/near 20s. I'll total my playtime across all characters and get back with you.

I am up to legacy 13 on JC, 26 on Bastion, and 17 on P5. I wish I would've just stuck to Kellar's Void after making Gouki. I thought there was going to be World PvP, though, so staying on a PvE server seemed like it was going to be detrimental... hah. Rerolled on The Crucible Pitts west coast PvP server.

Then, WoW friends decided to play and refused to roll on another PST server after seven years playing on Kil'Jaeden even though they were all from the east coast. I could not blame them or dare ask them to reconsider so I rolled on Bondar Crystal with them.

Four 50's, Three 30's, and a shit ton of 10-20's. All more or less on different servers.

tl;dr
0NLbt.png

Edit:
In other news, Have this video of a 2900 rated player spamming Chilling Scream every GCD. IT'S ACTION PACKED! This game needs a higher class of PvP videos.

Cystm

Dude, I can't stand the lag while I record it.

How bad is it? What are your system specs?

that video you linked early when I shat on you guys
____Trololol____
turned out okay.

If you can manage to record some games (like 2 or 3 per session) I will edit them for you.

Milly79

No idea, I set it to 29 fps while it records, but my game drops really fucking low. Probably 15~ ish.

Stock cooling yes, no OC.

Cystm

Check this for me, please:
  • Click the start button, type in "Computer Management" and hit enter
  • In the left side menu, under system tools, select 'device manager'
  • Expand "Disk Drives" in the screen to the right of the lefthanded menu
  • Find your fraps drive in the list, and rightclick to select the "properties" option
  • Click the policies tab, and be sure that both check boxes are selected

Some other stuff that might help:

• "Lock Framerate" - Off
  • "Lossless RGB" - Off
  • Turn off search indexing, or at least disable .avi indexing.
  • Disable Windows Media Player's scanning of the Fraps folder.

Milly79

I'll check that tomorrow. Off the comp for the night.

I know I took a shit load of measures to make swtor run better before it was optimized.

Lyng

Resubbed the other night. And going to stay now. I must admit the changes that have been made since I left pretty much hit the spot. With more content incomming aswell I am a happy camper.
The story is great and the pvp is so enjoyable for me.

A couple of my best friends have done the same. I hope more follow since I still see a big potential in this game. Even more now.

Milly79

Ah I've never seen him before. How'd he get killed seven times and only have 139k heals? A normal game of Novare sees most players die 3-6 times. New 50?

No idea, tbh. I'd assume that he was a healer and thus he other healers thought he could cover himself? He was the squishiest, so we focused him down the quickest.

Cystm check your PMs, and don't think I didn't see your post in the GW2 thread.

Cystm

No idea, tbh. I'd assume that he was a healer and thus he other healers thought he could cover himself? He was the squishiest, so we focused him down the quickest.

Cystm check your PMs, and don't think I didn't see your post in the GW2 thread.

It's looks promising, thats for sure. Not going to try it out until launch hype subsides, though.

Heysoos

So I played a good bit of GW2 today, and I must say when it comes to Warzones/sPVP(GW2) I really like SWTOR a lot better. Despite the massive gear inbalances that can happen in Warzones with fully decked out War Hero augmented players against fresh 50s, it's still a lot more enjoyable to me.

That said WvWvW is quite a bit of fun, though the closest SWTOR has to compare to that was Ilum... and yeah.

Milly79

So I played a good bit of GW2 today, and I must say when it comes to Warzones/sPVP(GW2) I really like SWTOR a lot better. Despite the massive gear inbalances that can happen in Warzones with fully decked out War Hero augmented players against fresh 50s, it's still a lot more enjoyable to me.

That said WvWvW is quite a bit of fun, though the closest SWTOR has to compare to that was Ilum... and yeah.

Same. It's really chaotic with all the movement you've gotta do.

I do like that it's more skill based, but yeah SWTOR pvp is a load more fun to me.

Hopefully I grow into it, but I find I waste a lot of attacks while people run round.

CzarTim

My feelings exactly.

vilmer_

From what I've played of the GW2 beta, something feels 'off' with the controls. It feels really janky and not as responsive as I'd like. On top of that, I'm one of those people who prefer to grind and earn my gear, perhaps I've been too accustomed to MMO's from the past. I'll play it occasionally, as my close gaming partner/cousin will be playing, but I won't be quitting SWTOR any time soon. I need that Elite Warlord title :p And after the server merges, my new server is absolutely rocking.

CzarTim

From what I've played of the GW2 beta, something feels 'off' with the controls. It feels really janky and not as responsive as I'd like. On top of that, I'm one of those people who prefer to grind and earn my gear, perhaps I've been too accustomed to MMO's from the past. I'll play it occasionally, as my close gaming partner/cousin will be playing, but I won't be quitting SWTOR any time soon. I need that Elite Warlord title :p And after the server merges, my new server is absolutely rocking.

GW2 combat is too chaotic. I have zero idea what is going on most of the time. All I can do is spam my abilities and hope I outlast my opponent. I have found that to be the problem with most action MMOs, there is too much going on at any one time to follow the fight.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
GW2 combat is too chaotic. I have zero idea what is going on most of the time. All I can do is spam my abilities and hope I outlast my opponent. I have found that to be the problem with most action MMOs, there is too much going on at any one time to follow the fight.

That's interesting, I feel the same way. I never got that feeling with Tera though which also has "action" combat.

Still, I'll be playing it on Saturday.

CzarTim

That's interesting, I feel the same way. I never got that feeling with Tera though which also has "action" combat.

Still, I'll be playing it on Saturday.

I had the problem with The Secret World too. Didn't play more than a few minutes of Tera though, so it might have been better.

Pretty much how I feel at the moment, im guessing its always like that when you start playing a new game tho.

It didn't dramatically win me over but im so bored on SWTOR now (mixture of no new content and being in a pretty dead guild) that im willing to give it a go, if I lose interest I will move on to PSO2 or go back to playing COD.

ShaneB

I've loved what I've played of GW2, but it's those same very things that make it unique that make me miss everything I'm familiar with in MMOs. I'll dive into TOR eventually because at least it's a completely different setting to feel fresh enough to switch things up here and there.

GW2 should be great, most of our guild is moving to it and it's thankfully pulling away and killing the WoW fans even. MoP is getting a big snub from even the most hardcore old fans of the game in our guild and everyone is hyped up for GW2.

Still have a core group that enjoys TOR and we are gonna stick with it especially since it's going F2P which is going to bring back some of our guildies who were tight on the money.

TOR PVP is solid, it feels organized and the objective game modes are well done for the most part (Alderaan is iffy). New WZ sounds like lot of fun too. The sPvP stuff in GW2 just feels sloppy and chaotic largely due to the lack of trinity along with the more action oriented play. Survivability between the classes is not hugely different, everyone can heal, everyone has defensive and offensive capabilities, the biggest differences being utility differences. I'm sure with more time and learning the sPvP would get more interesting though as people work in teams and learn stuff like all the combo abilities which is mostly experimentation right now, so many people have no clue what they are doing. WvWvW is where all my attention will be, like the good old days of DAOC and WAR big fights.

They seriously need to take a stab at more large scale pvp in TOR, Illum didn't need to be ignored, it just needed tweaks to get people to actually fight. Population was also a big factor in Illum's failure, and now with the merged servers, this is really not a problem as the pops have really evened out much better now. So many good ideas were out there from the players on how to make Illum something people would play, yet they decided to drop it in favor of warzone play.

I would really like them to try putting in a larger scale WZ at least eventually, something like AV from WoW which had higher player counts than the other battlegrounds. Nothing but 8v8 is kinda stale.

Top Bottom