• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

UltraMav

True. It was pretty funny in a sad way to see the complete lack of enthusiasm from both presenters and audience regarding TOR announcements at EA and Gamescon.

True. It was pretty funny in a sad way to see the complete lack of enthusiasm from both presenters and audience regarding TOR announcements at EA and Gamescon.

Yea well they went with really nothing to say. They put out a trailer for the F2P which everyone knows about and then had really no news to give at the con. Then demos of a warzone on the floor. Why bother even going? As I said they could have just gone to Celebration and been promoting it to a fan base who would actually care about the game and find interest. Every company that is putting out SW merch was at the con, minus Bioware. They cancelled Celebration appearance instead to go to Gamescon and do basically nothing.

Draxal

Regardless it doesn't have much to do with the current story. I just want to finish my last 3 sith characters to see their stories. Maybe 1 republic story but I don't know if I can force myself through the tedium, they were all awful on their starting planets. Jedi are too pussy-ish.

I found all the Rep Stories to be fine (well except for Consular). Troopers have particularly interesing morality choices (evil trooper is the evilest guy in the game), while Smugglers have the best villians. Jedi Knight one takes a while to get interesting but it does ramp up by the second/third act.

I just find the gameplay in MMO's to be dull right now (hell I include GW2 in this territory), and the story doesn't make up for that for alot of people right now.

Yea the Jedi classes both are very boring starts but get much more interesting later on. Smuggler is probably most fun overall pub side, and especially has the best dialogue options. Troopers were fun for the first 2 chapters I thought but wasn't crazy about the third chapter.

Alur

I finally got a RL friend playing the game and we've been leveling up some pubs together. It's actually been pretty fun...I already knew all of the jedi knight and consular quests up to about level 30, but it's nice to do it with someone and help them pick it up quick. The quests aren't quite as tedious, and teaching a noob to play huttball is both frustrating and hilarious.

Now I just wish I hadn't blown 275kish on my shadow's PVP exp boost and could use it on my new guy. Ah well.

Milly79

That's good you're still into it, Kruul.

I played for a bit yesterday doing Denova, but man it's so boring. Probably going to unsub very soon, won't run out till the 19th though.

Alur

I played for a bit yesterday doing Denova, but man it's so boring. Probably going to unsub very soon, won't run out till the 19th though.

Yeah I renewed (mine ran out the 21st, so obviously I did I guess :p). It doesn't grab me like it used to, but I'm sure it'll come back around when there's new stuff to do. Just not much reason for me to be on my main now. My guild is gone into Ewok so no chance at rated, and everyone I played with constantly minus you, Trevin, and Cheeks has fled to GW2/Diablo/the real world.

There also seem to be no guilds running SM EC that aren't either (A) tards or (B) full on folks and don't need another except for the occasional sub.

Thankfully, low level PVP is still filled with nub level 30's and 40's who get raped by my level 14. There is that :p.

Cystm

Z42e0.gif

______ :( _____

Editing this in here to prevent the double post.

Personal story in SWTOR and GW2: A look at the similarities and differences.

As someone that hasn't been able to check out GW2 yet, I have to take these comparisons with some skepticism. What about you guys? How are you liking the story in GW2 (not strictly comparatively speaking)?

GW2 has some nice ideas on story presentation that TOR could have used to learn from, and also you have what appears to be more unique branches in choices, but so far of the various stories I've played in GW2, none are very interesting or good. TOR presentation and stories are much more meaty and actually are vital to your character. The personal story in GW2 is really completely optional, once you leave your starting area, player can do whatever they want and never touch their story. Your story in GW2 is highly influenced by random multiple choice questions at the character creation which creates unique experiences. TOR storyline is kinda the core of the game as your whole leveling experience is directed by it including your companion characters.

The cutscenes in GW2 can be pretty awful with some really bad voice acting, not alot of work was put into them, but it is true that there is some more overall immersion going on in story segments as they are larger in scale since GW2 basically instances entire areas of the world for you instead of confining your story to a unique instance like it does in TOR. GW2 of course does do the same thing often where you teleport to some small unique instance for your story, while on the other hand each class in TOR does have complete areas of the game that are used for just your class story, such as Trooper attacking the dominator or the whole Bastion instance. The article refers to the world and how you interact with it as being better yet it's still just an instance, I could see it if it was actual phasing technology like Blizzard uses, now that would have been impressive. Instead you can be in a city, isntance into a story line and the area is completely different, complete the mission.... and you teleport back to the area and it's back to normal. Not very immersive. The article keeps praising how immersive the story presentation is in GW2, and I feel completely opposite.

Presentation and immersion and story really to me is best in TOR while GW2 does give you more unique options, yet the story in GW2 is much more smaller in scale feeling and not some major story that some of the TOR stuff feels like. The sloppy presentation in GW2 story segments at times really make the personal story quests feel slapped on while some are neat since they do branch. GW2 to me excels more at presenting a living world in general, and that has nothing to do with the story line.

And in general the stories in GW2 just haven't been that interesting and apparently lead to the same conclusion, for the most part the TOR stories have been much more tighter in scripting and scope since they are more linear (which I guess is a negative thing for some).

Won

Really goddamn boring now, their content releases thus far have been shockingly poor at best but by the same score I feel little to no urge to play guild wars, it just didn't grab me.

Looks like im going back to COD for sure at this point, guess I can finish arkham city and Mass Effect 3 as well till SWTOR picks up.

vilmer_

I've been trying to give GW2 my most valiant effort, but at this point it feels like I'm forcing myself to login. The questing has been great - dynamic events, many different ways of gaining xp including rewards for exploring etc.

World pvp is an absolute mess. There are many small nuances that have hindered my experience, including map design, placement of npc enemies on top of having to spawn at one location and hoof it everywhere after you die. It really hasn't been a very enjoyable experience, so far, especially being on a server where people are mainly new to the game and have no idea what they are doing.

The hit detection feels very 'off', and performance leaves a bit to be desired in large battles, especially on higher end rigs. I will continue to play occasionally, but I still enjoy the fluidity of SWTOR combat, pvp specifically and will continue to sub for the foreseeable future. My transfer server is still rocking and I've met some really awesome people who make it fun to login every day. I realize that GW2 is being proclaimed the second coming of Christ for the MMO genre, but I'm not feeling it. To be honest, it feels like another Korean grind fest :/

Cystm

I can't wait to checkout GW2. The OT, theorycrafting, and you fucks are making me want to play! The whole ability combination mechanics are really fucking cool.

Anyway, back on topic'ish, I stumbled across this awesome case mod:

Milly79

Hmm, i'll give it a look tomorrow, im like majorly behind everyone as well which is never fun thanks to working 8 days in a row.

It doesn't matter with how the game scales stuff. I'm level 40 and I can come quest with you at the beginning if I wished.

It's quite fun man. Trevin and I were running around in WvWvW trying to get the exploration done, when we ran into a few enemies and tried ducking off a cliff but ended up killing ourselves.

Oxn

I can't wait to checkout GW2. The OT, theorycrafting, and you fucks are making me want to play! The whole ability combination mechanics are really fucking cool.

Anyway, back on topic'ish, I stumbled across this awesome case mod:

WTF is that?

Incredible holocron case. Some pretty good wood working skills there bruh.

So who's ready for some cat man action in the new update? Cat man sith assassin comin' up comin' in!

UltraMav

Well, in the aftermath of GW2 I currently have one friend left playing SWTOR. How did the rest of you fair? (From the looks of it seems like plenty of GW2 fans here as well. :p

Well, in the aftermath of GW2 I currently have one friend left playing SWTOR. How did the rest of you fair? (From the looks of it seems like plenty of GW2 fans here as well. :p

Most of the guild I was in left a while ago for other games but our SWTOR group is untouched though small, but we allied months ago with another guild so we have enough for doing raids and stuff still. Most of my guild is in GW2 now including me but I plan on sticking with both for now.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

My guild was pretty dead before GW2 and those left didn't have much interest in it. I'm playing both. I found the fleet had much less population yesterday but this is also the first week of school for a lot of people so that's partially to blame as well.

Well my GW2 discs arrived yesterday and I had a go. I don't think it will be holding me too long. It's fun. But I already miss being a healer, running though the Alderaan Civil War pushing people's health bars up.

There's something deeply satisfying about seeing your entire team in front of you with little green numbers flying upwards.

I did some of the event boss fights and it's just a zerg-fest. No team work at all.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well my GW2 discs arrived yesterday and I had a go. I don't think it will be holding me too long. It's fun. But I already miss being a healer, running though the Alderaan Civil War pushing people's health bars up.

There's something deeply satisfying about seeing your entire team in front of you with little green numbers flying upwards.

I did some of the event boss fights and it's just a zerg-fest. No team work at all.

I definitely prefer the combat in SWTOR, GW2 combat is just too chaotic and clunky. They're very different games though which is why I'm happy playing both. GW2 scratches my exploring itch, something SWTOR is sorely missing.

Alur

Wow, WTF. Four guilds worth of people and almost all of them left completely? I thought most folks were gonna do both still.

Milly79

Wow, WTF. Four guilds worth of people and almost all of them left completely? I thought most folks were gonna do both still.

Turns out, nope. I hop on from time to time and there's never more than 10 people on anymore. We used to have 25-30 easily.

Alur

Turns out, nope. I hop on from time to time and there's never more than 10 people on anymore. We used to have 25-30 easily.

That sucks, I know that feel. The Turks went from 25-30 to 8-10 seemingly overnight as well. I didn't think it'd work, but not because everyone would quit, though I suppose if everyone had gotten along better maybe it would've worked out neater.

I log in for a minute to see who's on, then go play my pub. Still haven't grabbed GW2 yet.

vilmer_

There are still quite a few that are still playing on my list, but there are definitely some that have left altogether. A few of the high end ranked pvp guilds, I haven't seen much of at all. The population fleet wise, has taken a bit of a dip over the weekend but as of right now we're back at 2 fleet instances on the Pub side on P5. There's been a few people who bought GW2 left for a couple days but have come back and have said they didn't like the game at all. Can't say I'm surprised that the top tier pvp guilds have left, and I must say I thought the population would be much worse than it is right now in game. SWTOR definitely has a nice core base of players that are willing to stick it out and genuinely enjoy the game. Once the GW2 hype train dies down, I'm sure lots will be back.

That sucks, I know that feel. The Turks went from 25-30 to 8-10 seemingly overnight as well. I didn't think it'd work, but not because everyone would quit, though I suppose if everyone had gotten along better maybe it would've worked out neater.

I log in for a minute to see who's on, then go play my pub. Still haven't grabbed GW2 yet.

They might be back. It's launch week so yea most of the time has been spent on GW2 for now. I don't plan on leaving TOR but right now it's the hotness with the guild and launch week so it's to be expected to take a bunch of folks away. Only was on this week for our raid night.

I definitely prefer the combat in SWTOR, GW2 combat is just too chaotic and clunky. They're very different games though which is why I'm happy playing both. GW2 scratches my exploring itch, something SWTOR is sorely missing.

After playing both all weekend, I love the Guild Wars 2 PvE (particularly the complete freedom to explore and the crafting system) but I definitely prefer SWTOR's PvP. There's too much wrong with GW2's PvP to make up for the nice features (no gear imbalances etc.). Maybe I'll change my mind on this but the problems I have with GW2's PvP (sPvP).

1) Only one game type and this one is terrible. There's a considerable strategic difference between nodes that have to be capped and those which automatically fall "under attack".
2) No team-work at all. This is presumably because team-work is discouraged and everyone is their own personal hero. This manifests in all sorts of ways including a complete lack of communication. This is a player-driven problem and so may get better.
3) No strategy at all. This is because strategy is discouraged. After watching people repeatedly abandon control points to join the zerg, as a test, I held a control point for an entire game, by myself against all comers. I came last in my team. All the people in the zerging about the map like loonies part of the team came top. There's a reason why SWTOR WZs give rewards in PvP for "strategic" behaviour.

I dropped into an Alderaan Civil War match yesterday with my Op Healer, and it really was night and day. We lost, but everyone was communicating, it was civil, we played strategically, it was fun.

Basically, PvP in GW2 is a DPS zerg. It makes me wonder why they bothered to put control points at all and don't just make it a deathmatch. I suspect that this game-play appeals to a certain sort of player, and I seriously hope they all leave SWTOR for GW2 so we can play our WZ properly.

On the other hand, the PvE is truly glorious. For the first time in an MMO I'm excited to get home from work, not to PvP, but to keep exploring the world. Roll on 5PM!

mainframe

Neo Member
I dont want to sound like pessimist, but are people still playing right now with the F2P option comming?

GW2 , pve aspect is not cutting it. plus with no trinity, everything just feels like a zerg.

gotee12

I dont want to sound like pessimist, but are people still playing right now with the F2P option comming?

GW2 , pve aspect is not cutting it. plus with no trinity, everything just feels like a zerg.
I just jumped into the game due to the upcoming f2p. Now that stores are liquidating their swtor stock, I've bought both the standard edition and collectors edition for $27.50 total. That gives me two months to get beyond lvl 15 and see if I want to sub for a third month (right before the supposed f2p launch date).

I've seen others on CAG doing the same. I've even pressured a Star Wars buddy of mine to do the same. I've seen lots of obvious noobs like myself on both Tython and Ord Mantell. The fewest players I've seen during peak times is around 100 on the noob planets. Heck last night there were close to 200 when I was playing (I play on Ebon Hawk).

Of course I have no idea how many of the lvl 50's have hung around. I've put around 30 hours in between two toons and I'm starting to wonder if there will be anything to keep me hanging around after I've completed the class stories I'm interested in (I'm not a big raider).

But I will say that for right now it is definitely scratching my KotOR itch and I love it.

Player pops seems to not have been affected much by GW2 outside of personal folks friends lists or guilds who lost a few members to the game's launch. But the numbers of folks in game appears to be about the same. Lot of the folks playing now are more of the hardcore who have been sticking with the game it seems as things have settled down a bit and they transferred folks to these new servers. F2P announcement didn't seem to make a huge impact on these folks. And those who are playing now are going to be getting in game cash shop currency for every month they have subbed for when it does go F2P.

And if you got a deal on the CE being put on clearance, that's good since buying the CE grants you a big chunk of cash shop credits when the game goes f2p too.

Zafir

After playing both all weekend, I love the Guild Wars 2 PvE (particularly the complete freedom to explore and the crafting system) but I definitely prefer SWTOR's PvP. There's too much wrong with GW2's PvP to make up for the nice features (no gear imbalances etc.). Maybe I'll change my mind on this but the problems I have with GW2's PvP (sPvP).

1) Only one game type and this one is terrible. There's a considerable strategic difference between nodes that have to be capped and those which automatically fall "under attack".
2) No team-work at all. This is presumably because team-work is discouraged and everyone is their own personal hero. This manifests in all sorts of ways including a complete lack of communication. This is a player-driven problem and so may get better.
3) No strategy at all. This is because strategy is discouraged. After watching people repeatedly abandon control points to join the zerg, as a test, I held a control point for an entire game, by myself against all comers. I came last in my team. All the people in the zerging about the map like loonies part of the team came top. There's a reason why SWTOR WZs give rewards in PvP for "strategic" behaviour.

I dropped into an Alderaan Civil War match yesterday with my Op Healer, and it really was night and day. We lost, but everyone was communicating, it was civil, we played strategically, it was fun.

Basically, PvP in GW2 is a DPS zerg. It makes me wonder why they bothered to put control points at all and don't just make it a deathmatch. I suspect that this game-play appeals to a certain sort of player, and I seriously hope they all leave SWTOR for GW2 so we can play our WZ properly.

On the other hand, the PvE is truly glorious. For the first time in an MMO I'm excited to get home from work, not to PvP, but to keep exploring the world. Roll on 5PM!
I enjoy WvW, and there has been some communication more recently as more people are getting involved and knowledgeable about it(It does often fall into zergs though, true). However I agree in terms of sPvP. it's part of the reason I don't like it that much. It seems to just fall into team deathmatch most of the time. Where everyones just fighting at one node, leaving the few of us who actually bother with objectives to try and solo cap the other two. I fear the problem is the game doesn't exactly give you anything for defending. You only seem to get points for killing someone on a defended node, not just standing there defending like you do in SWTOR. It also has the zerg problem as well, which ever team can stick together and zerg better often wins. Even pugging in swtor seems a bit more structured than that.

I enjoy WvW, and there has been some communication more recently as more people are getting involved and knowledgeable about it(It does often fall into zergs though, true). However I agree in terms of sPvP. it's part of the reason I don't like it that much. It seems to just fall into team deathmatch most of the time. Where everyones just fighting at one node, leaving the few of us who actually bother with objectives to try and solo cap the other two. I fear the problem is the game doesn't exactly give you anything for defending. You only seem to get points for killing someone on a defended node, not just standing there defending like you do in SWTOR. It also has the zerg problem as well, which ever team can stick together and zerg better often wins. Even pugging in swtor seems a bit more structured than that.

I haven't done much WvWvW due to a combination of long queue times and the horrifying discovery that it cost money to repair. I'm now saving up my coppers so that I can have another go at some point!

Zafir

1.4 class changes: http://www.swtor.com/blog/developer-update-class-changes-and-balance-game-update-1.4

Commandos/mercs getting an interrupt

But wtf, reducing cool down on force speed for consulars/inq?
Mercs shafted again? Lovely.

They needed more than that. As useful as a slow on the aoe heal and a interrupt is, we need protection against interrupts.

Edit: Though I suppose it largely depends on whether the current "OP" classes get a nerf. if they dont, then, it isnt enough.

Zafir

The 20% activation reduction per stack of charged tracerlock/charge barrel helps with that.

Thats in Arsenal. All the trees have interrupt issues, because all of them generally revolve around one ability. Rapid Scan/Tracer Missile/Power Shot.

As I edited into my last post. It'll largely depend on how they're dealing with the current "Op" classes. If they aren't getting nerfs, it won't help a great deal.

Draxal

The 20% activation reduction per stack of charged tracerlock/charge barrel helps with that.

Err it really doesn't, as it only affects heals and gunnery/arsenals heals while suprisingly ok, costs a bit of ammo/heat and still a drop in the bucket as those classes will still be focus fired.

Thats in Arsenal. All the trees have interrupt issues, because all of them generally revolve around one ability. Rapid Scan/Tracer Missile/Power Shot.

I kinda wish they remade explosive round/missle blast and made that the focus of the assault/pyro tree (make charged rounds/power shot the basic nuke of arsenal/with grav round/tracer missle the cooldown nuke).

HBroward

Awesome, my sniper's CC'c made it through unscathed, as well as the class in general it seems. I'm not sure I quite understand their philosophy on these resolve changes actually, from reading it seems like it will be easier to keep people cc'ed, which is opposite of what I thought most people were hoping for. The number one complaint people have is all the cc, and this on the first read seems set to make it more of an issue. I honestly can't believe the changes are based on the actions and performance of pick up teams, I wonder what the impact will be on teams of skilled players. I guess it's one of those things we will have to wait and see once it is all implemented. On the other hand, I am excited for the sorc and sage changes, the shorter cool down on force speed, and the ability to have it break all stuns and the immunity to interrupts from mental alacrity? So nice.

Awesome, my sniper's CC'c made it through unscathed, as well as the class in general it seems. I'm not sure I quite understand their philosophy on these resolve changes actually, from reading it seems like it will be easier to keep people cc'ed, which is opposite of what I thought most people were hoping for. The number one complaint people have is all the cc, and this on the first read seems set to make it more of an issue. I honestly can't believe the changes are based on the actions and performance of pick up teams, I wonder what the impact will be on teams of skilled players. I guess it's one of those things we will have to wait and see once it is all implemented. On the other hand, I am excited for the sorc and sage changes, the shorter cool down on force speed, and the ability to have it break all stuns and the immunity to interrupts from mental alacrity? So nice.

Not exactly sure what they are trying to say with the resolve changes. Though it does seem quite a few classes are getting nerfs on their CC abilities in various forms, largely in their range though which could potentially make a difference

UltraMav

No DPS buff for Scrappers yet? Yawn; back to alting. (I am cautiously optimistic about how the the extra speed buff will help out in the long run, was just hoping for some better math on my main abilities by now.)

Maybe I should just finally give up and respec to Dirty Fighting...

Cystm

Not exactly sure what they are trying to say with the resolve changes. Though it does seem quite a few classes are getting nerfs on their CC abilities in various forms, largely in their range though which could potentially make a difference

They are making CC incredibly noob friendly, while allowing high level play to continue at the same level as before. Megaton. The changes to stealth classes are all fantastic. They really hit the nail on the head for these classes in a group setting. The nerf to Overload/force wave is disappointing (despite the buffs) from a healer perspective, but I can live with it.

This update over all is actually really good. They need to keep on doing these updates from Peckenpaugh. (On a personal note... Still no video card. Woe is me.)

Top Bottom