• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

UltraMav

This morning's patch. Legacy names are now non-unique and everyone gets a free legacy name switch "sometime in the future."

HBroward

That is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. I don't even understand what possessed them to make this change. It basically renders the entire use of legacy names completely meaningless. The whole point was to identify players on their alts! I'm at a loss here, it's madness.

That is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever heard. I don't even understand what possessed them to make this change. It basically renders the entire use of legacy names completely meaningless. The whole point was to identify players on their alts! I'm at a loss here, it's madness.

I don't even turn on my Legacy name on most my characters alts *shrug*

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

What possessed them is that people want to share legacy names, for example couples. Also some people lost their legacy names in the transfers.

HBroward

What possessed them is that people want to share legacy names, for example couples. Also some people lost their legacy names in the transfers.

I completely forgot about the people roleplaying they were married, that is a very logical reason that undercuts my entire rant. But it should be implemented where the person who currently has the name has to approve the other person using it also. That way, the people it's designed for can have the ability without other people making random impersonation characters. I just picture people with the first name spelled one letter differently and the same legacy. For people who lost their legacy, I say who the hell cares. I think just about everyone lost names for at least a couple of their characters on transfer, but I wouldn't want the solution to be having three Trevins running around the game.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I completely forgot about the people roleplaying they were married, that is a very logical reason that undercuts my entire rant. But it should be implemented where the person who currently has the name has to approve the other person using it also. That way, the people it's designed for can have the ability without other people making random impersonation characters. I just picture people with the first name spelled one letter differently and the same legacy. For people who lost their legacy, I say who the hell cares. I think just about everyone lost names for at least a couple of their characters on transfer, but I wouldn't want the solution to be having three Trevins running around the game.

Yeah, my first thought when I heard the news was "awesome, now my girlfriend and I can share a last name!" but I didn't think about the other side where people who don't know each other will be sharing names.

They should have done it where you can choose to allow another person to use your legacy name.

Still, I don't think it'll be that bad, people have the same last name in RL, it's not a big deal. If you choose to use the Legacy Skywalker and there are hundreds of people with that name it's your own damned fault :p

UltraMav

I have mixed feelings about the legacy name. I had already changed it for transfers but it just feels weird to have your character select screen so prominently display "The [Blank] Legacy" when it's no longer THE [Blank] Legacy.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Any time I find out someone that I don't personally know has the same last name as me IRL, I get super mad about it because that sort of thing just shouldn't ever happen.

UltraMav

I'm not super mad about it. Just kind of... off put?.. I suppose. It's obviously not a huge deal. I'm doubtful it will have much of an impact in game anyways. Unless your last name is Skiewaulker.

Cystm

JovethGonzalez said:
Legacy Names 09.05.2012 said:
This is absolutely related to server mergers and transfers. I still wonder how they will deal with merging legacies on transfer, but this seems to be the first step. I wonder if the next will be making legacy account wide instead of server specific?

Anyway, I too would have preferred unique legacy names and repeatable first names, but I can see the problem they had with this. Since legacy names aren't specified until you finish chapter one, you would not be able to distinguish between two characters with the same first name until they reached legacy level. Without legacy names at character creation, the opposite (unique legacy/repeat able names) is not possible.

This is correct. This is a change made exactly for the preparation of server mergers.

Again?

Edit: Here's the source... Link.

Giolon

Again?

Edit: Here's the source... Link.

The "merges" are the forced relocation of the people who opted to stay behind (or were unsubscribed) during the previous voluntary server merges. At some point, probably before F2P happens, all of the characters on those servers will be forcibly moved to the "destination" servers, and all other servers will be deactivated.

It's not further merging of the existing, currently populated servers.

Milly79

The "merges" are the forced relocation of the people who opted to stay behind (or were unsubscribed) during the previous voluntary server merges. At some point, probably before F2P happens, all of the characters on those servers will be forcibly moved to the "destination" servers, and all other servers will be deactivated.

Makes more sense that way, but I thought toons were moved already around the beginning of August??

yXyfs.png

Cystm

Edit:

That is a more logical reason :lol

His wording could have been more specific though!

Makes more sense that way, but I thought toons were moved already around the beginning of August??

They didn't do them yet. Was supposed to be at end of summer but that didn't happen, still no ETA when the forced transfers and closure of the old servers is happening

Wait.

I think there was an Ericksson quote about this a while back. In preparation for F2play, which should bring in a lot of people. This time around they want to be prepared for the massive influx of people without having to create more servers with the risk of them drying up again, thus making the same mistakes during launch.

Okay, but yay.. another merge.

Last one? Please?

*TORtanic.jpg*

Well they are closing all those old servers. Game had way too many and they are just clearing house. No idea how they are going to handle the influx of players for F2P though, unless it's true that they are going to be upgrading the hardware for larger capacities.

graywolf323

weird my performance has taken a hit after the latest patch, previously I would get close to 60 fps (except at the fleet) but now I'm only getting ~30 fps

edit: it's also crashed twice now while using the taxi on Alderaan

Moaradin

I'm having so much fun in GW2 but I miss the story in SWTOR so much. I'll probably come back during f2p just for the story.

StudioTan

yeah the voice acting in gw2 is BAD compared to swtor. Everything else though......

I think it's more the presentation. They have some good voice actors but the side-by-side dialogue scenes just makes it all seem so cheesy.

Moaradin

I think it's more the presentation. They have some good voice actors but the side-by-side dialogue scenes just makes it all seem so cheesy.

It's hilarious when a scene is supposed to be dramatic like someone important dying. The side-by-side view is hilarious.

StudioTan

I don't know if someone mentioned it but the last patch also made the event outfits Bind to Legacy. They forgot to include it in the original patch notes and have added it now.

Assume it's going to be an auto buff to help the newbies. But not sure I see the point when shouldn't recruit gear mk2 take care of that?

It's nice to hear about Illum coming back again. I assume they are going to do something similar to what worked with the Rakghoul event and mix PVE in an open PVP area to create something players to fight over since they are talking about the alien invasion stuff.

vilmer_

Focus/Rage Guardians/Juggs are still powerhouses in pvp. The only downside is that we still don't have very many good defensive cd's. Full augmented war hero gear and I usually get 6-7k focus bombs off. It's always a rush seeing people try to flee when you charge in and get that 10% increased damage from the 4 piece set and they know the bomb is going to drop ;)

Milly79

4 medals and you are an all-star. Game needs Yooni medals.

4 healers as opposed to our 2. DPS that didn't know WTF to do. My only kill was against 1/4 healers. The other 3 died 0 times, while their DPS wrecked the shit out of us. Sure was fun. Thought VM was supposed to be a decent PVP guild, but fuck they totally proved me wrong.

Alur

Heh, most of their best left for The Turks with me and/or when I did or left the game otherwise. A couple of those in there are still good, but your team versus the Ewok/Fusion/whatever it is now premade was a loss from the start. Excised is a pretty good op healer too.

Milly79

Heh, most of their best left for The Turks with me and/or when I did or left the game otherwise. A couple of those in there are still good, but your team versus the Ewok/Fusion/whatever it is now premade was a loss from the start. Excised is a pretty good op healer too.

Not saying we really had a shot at winning, but at least killing healers should have been a must. The only healer I really saw drop was Barbie and that's after I called it out many times.

HBroward

Told you you should have stayed Marksman for our pvp session! Although even then you would have only had an extra kill or two with all those healers! It was kinda funny, I only died 3 times, it was like I got a reprieve for that game or something. And it never ceases to amaze me how much Tyranticus sucks at playing his main, Mal almost out dpsed him as an undergeared tank for crying at loud.

Alur

And it never ceases to amaze me how much Tyranticus sucks at playing his main, Mal almost out dpsed him as an undergeared tank for crying at loud.

You should get on vent with him, especially in the few rated games we did. He definitely doesn't see himself that way, and feels that all DPS on the other team focus fire him just as hard as they do any healer. A few of us tried to explain why it seemed like he died so often, but well...

Top Bottom