• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
So is James Ohlen "The Band?"

But for serious, pretty sure I'm done with the game once I finish class stories. I just have no confidence left in its future at this point.

Well, to be honest I don't quite understand this point of view. The future of the game isn't what makes me play. I play until I'm bored, then I play something else. If the updates stop coming or I feel it's not longer worth paying for I just won't.

Plus, as BattleMonkey said, if people are unhappy with the current game then all the layoffs should give you hope that the new people will do a better job.

UltraMav

I'm not unhappy with it currently, I play too much in fact, I just tend to feel more "invested" in the future of a game when a monthly fee is involved, and I guess I am more subject to disappointment. Like I said I will continue to enjoy and play through the remaining class stories, but I'll probably quit for good after that and not participate in any endgame. Only to come back for potential class story updates.

Cystm

I'm not unhappy with it currently, I play too much in fact, I just tend to feel more "invested" in the future of a game when a monthly fee is involved, and I guess I am more subject to disappointment. Like I said I will continue to enjoy and play through the remaining class stories, but I'll probably quit for good after that and not participate in any endgame. Only to come back for potential class story updates.

Sounds like a blast, dude.

Anyway,

SWTOR.com said:
dIYvH.jpg

Today we’re very excited to announce the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Community Cantina Tour! Starting with New York Comic Con, we’re going to embark on a series of Star Wars: The Old Republic Community meet & greets so that fans will get the opportunity to interact with our community team and developers!

Before each meet & greet, we’ll be sure to publish a blog with detailed information so that you don’t miss out on complimentary drinks & food, a highly coveted code for an in-game Tauntaun Fawn, giveaways, and more!*

After each event, we’ll be publishing a meet & greet summary blog so that those of you that aren’t able to attend will be caught up with any relevant information.

Below you will find our planned tour stops and an estimated timeframe for each one.

• October 11th – New York, NY (New York Comic Con)
    Venue: Houndstooth Pub
    Time: 7-10PM EDT
    Address: 520 8th Avenue New York, NY 10018
  • Mid November – Austin, TX
  • Early December (Wizard World Comic-Con) – New Orleans, LA
  • January – San Francisco, CA
  • We’re very excited to kick off the Star Wars: The Old Republic Community Cantina Tour at New York Comic Con!
  • The New York City Community Cantina will happen on Thursday, October 11th, 2012 at Houndstooth Pub from 7-10PM EDT!

Space will be limited, so be sure to arrive early! You can RSVP on Facebook here!

We look forward to seeing you at one of our Community Cantinas!

The Star Wars: The Old Republic Community Team

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20121002

I have another awesome reason to venture back up to the Bay area now. Anyone else on the Bestcoast here?

Cystm

Why? So you can hear about all the content you know about coming soon? Sounds like a blast.

;)

Well, because the Bay has been good to me every time I have gone up there, Drinking, partying, sight seeing, chilling with really great people, but with the added potential to meet up with people from GAF. Sounds like a blast to me indeed.

I don't know what that means Cystm. Have I offended you in some way?

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer I guess.
You do in the last few posts seem to not really be interested in the game, beyond it "not making you unhappy" which I guess is something. Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your time, but for me I would uninstall the shit out of this game if it was only a thing that did not make me unhappy, but left me feeling... no more than neutral? I don't have a problem with you personally, though.

YOU CANNOT BE DISAPPOINTED IN THIS GAME!

You can absolutely be disappointed in whatever the fuck you want to be, but looking through the thread.. all most people do is point out the negatives with the game. It becomes exhausting over time, especially when coupled with any threads that come up in Gaming, and people are just like: "Yeah, I've seen the memes, so I know this game sucks!" or people with somewhat good reputations chiming in with over embellished assessments of a game they admit to playing for the initial free trial and no more.

Not to mention I am trying to update the OP so it's of more use to people that should be coming into the game when it goes F2play in November and it's just like.. Does anyone even like this game besides me and like five other dudes? Why are not more people discussing the game? The nonstop negativity every time something doesn't work out perfectly is just, like I said exhausting and hardly conducive to any discussion to anyone else other than the jaded assholes already playing this game.

Yooni, what I am trying to say is:

I just want to love you, girl and that's all it is.

Sucks to hear about Daniel Erickson's departure. I'm interested to see how the game moves forward from here. I wonder how well the new guys in charge will do.

Milly79

I mean, I am highly disappointed with the game lately. Why shouldn't I be? The updates are rolling out slow, the "community" team is generally silent and they break shit left and right with patches every week. They fixed my graphics issue they broke with a weekly update somewhere around 2 weeks ago. Now, it's stuttering again, and many people are saying this on the forums. Just TODAY after a week of 1.4 being out they admit it's more than SLIs and a fix is coming, but they don't know when. Remind me why I'm paying $15 a month to play a game that is almost broken at this point for me.

Cystm, I love you man, but there's no basis to call people out. It's okay to be disappointed in the game, and no reason for you to say otherwise. Cool, if it works for you, but it doesn't for many others. PVP is basically the only reason I'm logging in at this point, and it's a fucking chore after 1.4. Sure, I raid on a weekly basis, but it doesn't really affect that in any way. I want this game to be successful, but it's really hard to expect that at this point. You're gonna go to your event and they're gonna talk up Makeb, HK-51 and all their 1.4a's and b's and c's. Shit you already know about. How is that even worthwhile?

Cystm

I mean, I am highly disappointed with the game lately. Why shouldn't I be? The updates are rolling out slow, the "community" team is generally silent and they break shit left and right with patches every week. They fixed my graphics issue they broke with a weekly update somewhere around 2 weeks ago. Now, it's stuttering again, and many people are saying this on the forums. Just TODAY after a week of 1.4 being out they admit it's more than SLIs and a fix is coming, but they don't know when. Remind me why I'm paying $15 a month to play a game that is almost broken at this point for me.

Cystm, I love you man, but there's no basis to call people out. It's okay to be disappointed in the game, and no reason for you to say otherwise. Cool, if it works for you, but it doesn't for many others. PVP is basically the only reason I'm logging in at this point, and it's a fucking chore after 1.4. Sure, I raid on a weekly basis, but it doesn't really affect that in any way. I want this game to be successful, but it's really hard to expect that at this point. You're gonna go to your event and they're gonna talk up Makeb, HK-51 and all their 1.4a's and b's and c's. Shit you already know about. How is that even worthwhile?

I am not saying it's not okay to be disappointed about the game though. I thought I made that explicitly clear here:

Cystm said:
You can absolutely be disappointed in whatever the fuck you want to be

The point I was trying to make for people complaining about the game was that, if at a certain point all you do is complain about the game, or spend a good majority of your time when talking about the game complaining about it, maybe it's time to move on to something you hopefully will enjoy.

As for "my event" If they are still talking about 1.4 in January of next year I will gladly lob blunt objects at James Ohlen (provided that he still works there! SHIT DAMN I NAILED THAT ONE)

Milly79

Yet you made a dick post that was unwarranted and then backtracked to cover it up. You're better than that.

At least I thought.

Jbird34

I think dread guard main hand and tank pants dropped, but not sure I was just watching the stream while they downed it.

Heysoos

What the fuck. I can no longer play on my Vanguard. It won't load.

EDIT:
GREAT. Now I can't play any of my characters because it says my Vanguard is logged in. Checked forums, there's people who haven't had a response in days. GG BIOWARE.

Milly79

What the fuck. I can no longer play on my Vanguard. It won't load.

EDIT:
GREAT. Now I can't play any of my characters because it says my Vanguard is logged in. Checked forums, there's people who haven't had a response in days. GG BIOWARE.

That's dandy, eh? BUT HEY, DON'T HATE THE GAME. ;)

That happened to me on my Merc, but I was able to log back into him to log out and get to my other toons.

Cystm

Yet you made a dick post that was unwarranted and then backtracked to cover it up. You're better than that.

At least I thought.

What was my dick post? Where did I backtrack?

Ps. Can we just fuck and get it over with?

Soos, just wait 15 minutes and relog, that used to happen to me all the time in WoW.

Edit
<GAF> Downed the last boss on the new raid Terror from Beyond

Thanks to GAF's Khazi for streaming it!

Guild first HM TFB:
http://www.twitch.tv/kamikazeny/b/334357797

Other TFB fights
http://www.twitch.tv/kamikazeny

That's awesome! That fight looks like so much fun.
Is there anyway you can upload your videos to youtube?

Diggler

Useful tip;

Ever since launch, despite having a constant 60fps in this game, I've noticed it stutters and jerks quite a lot when you move and rotate the camera (almost like it's skipping frames). Well I found a fix tonight; simply switch from "fullscreen" to "fullscreen (windowed)" in the graphics options and it instantly turns smooth as silk. Game looks gorgeous now.

Defo recommend everyone try this setting.

Milly79

Useful tip;

Ever since launch, despite having a constant 60fps in this game, I've noticed it stutters and jerks quite a lot when you move and rotate the camera (almost like it's skipping frames). Well I found a fix tonight; simply switch from "fullscreen" to "fullscreen (windowed)" in the graphics options and it instantly turns smooth as silk. Game looks gorgeous now.

Defo recommend everyone try this setting.

That's my normal setting.

Lyng

Sorry to interrupt the little flamefest in here. But I have been trying to get back into the game lately, somehow though it just seems like Bioware are letting it die?
I mean they say new content but everything seems, broken. At least compared to when I last logged in. (bout a month ago)
Its a shame because I wanted to play this for pvp and maybe even get back into raiding, but right now I just dont see the point when Bioware dont seem to care.

Sorry to interrupt the little flamefest in here. But I have been trying to get back into the game lately, somehow though it just seems like Bioware are letting it die?
I mean they say new content but everything seems, broken. At least compared to when I last logged in. (bout a month ago)
Its a shame because I wanted to play this for pvp and maybe even get back into raiding, but right now I just dont see the point when Bioware dont seem to care.
I think right now they're just coasting until the F2P changes are out. Once that hits we'll see how things change on their end.

EDIT: Too tired and I misread the post.

Everything was fine till 1.4 hit a few weeks ago. Then a bunch of new bugs popped up. They are trying to fix things supposedly but can't really say they don't care. As long as they get stuff fixed up soon... hopefully.

Zafir

When I'm stood on the fleet my graphics driver just fails and recovers randomly. :/ I don't get it in any other game so it's got to be something on the game side of things, but I haven't seen anyone report a similar issue.

(Graphics card is a 660 Ti, and I'm using the 306.23 driver)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

I don't believe that's the case at all. They had made commitments to release 1.4 by the end of Sept and they had also made a commitment to release content every 6 weeks. 1.4 has some bugs but if they hadn't released it at the end of Sept then everyone would have just complained that they weren't keeping their promises. Likely the complaining would have been worse tbh. So I think they just chose the lesser of two evils.

I haven't experience anything personally that prevents me from playing and PVPing. The most annoying is the occasional hitching in the graphics during camera turns and running. A few others like my UI being visible over loading screens are annoying but not game breaking. If content is bugged I just find something else to do until it's fixed.

Alexander Freed, the writer of the Agent storyline, has also left Bioware now. He did mention he has a ton of stuff written that is still in the pipeline though, so that is good at least.

I'm sure they have lot of stuff written not put in the game yet, and apparently alot of the voice work was already done a while ago. It's funny as most of the content we are seeing being slowly dripped to us, we knew details about already back early in the year after release. Who knows how far they went with writing and stuff they've been "working on" that we have yet to see.

StudioTan

I'm sure they have lot of stuff written not put in the game yet, and apparently alot of the voice work was already done a while ago. It's funny as most of the content we are seeing being slowly dripped to us, we knew details about already back early in the year after release. Who knows how far they went with writing and stuff they've been "working on" that we have yet to see.

There's no doubt their content-every-6-weeks plan just meant that they're spreading out stuff that was already in the pipeline and not an increase in production. I still prefer that to having a big patch every 4 months.

My guess is they already have stuff scripted out for the next couple of years at least. If you go by that content leak from a few months ago we've seen some of it but not even half of it yet.

I think the biggest thing will be the Super Secret Space Project, as it were. If it's even as good as what they had in SWG it will be enough reason for a lot of people to play the game.

The what? There was a leak?

Almost everything we have seen or are being told about, was leaked soon after launch. Lot of this stuff had files already in place even back to beta, and after launch more stuff apparently got datamined out. The reveals so far and patches just have confirmed how all that info leaked back when was right. Stuff leaked almost 8 months ago still hasn't even been put in the game yet.

Cystm

We're talking about place holder levels of code here, nothing even remotely close to finalized.

It's not like they have hidden content simply not utilized.

How is it you know no matter what they will not introduce space content at the very least comparible to jump to light speed?

We're talking about place holder levels of code here, nothing even remotely close to finalized.

It's not like they have hidden content simply not utilized.

How is it you know no matter what they will not introduce space content at the very least comparible to jump to light speed?

Because I'm a realist? There is no indication anywhere that we would see such a thing, it was essentially a whole separate game within SWG to create a space sim, something the hero engine as we have seen so far would not be able to create, even the on rails space combat stuff is not that great with terrain you can shoot through even. They are pumping out a ton of space combat missions when they are going to suddenly overhaul it all? Unlikely they would do such a project with the amount of other crap going on. Any space update will likely be utilizing current space game to advance it to something more meaningful, such as PVP and MP components. But a full blown sim? Yea folks are just going to be disappointed if that is what they are expecting.

Cystm

Realist or pessimist?

They've mentioned guild ships in the past, so it's hard to see how that would fit in with anything close to on rails combat. Full blown sim, though? You are right, in that regard - it's not likely. Just to clarify my perspective, Jump to light speed wasn't that deep, so no, I don't expect anything close to an actual space sim, but something along the lines of zones (in the same vein as zoned planets) and free flying within those zones. It seems likely to be very similar to the way questing/navigation functions on foot/speeders.

My break is almost over so yeah, apologies for the rushed post.

Edit: I hate posting from my POS phone.

StudioTan

The what? There was a leak?

http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks

As Cystm said it's just stuff like conversations and other descriptions of content that's not in the game yet. Most of it was likely not very far along but was being worked on. As we've seen some of it has made it in and some hasn't. It also doesn't mean this is the only stuff they are working on.

Because I'm a realist? There is no indication anywhere that we would see such a thing, it was essentially a whole separate game within SWG to create a space sim, something the hero engine as we have seen so far would not be able to create, even the on rails space combat stuff is not that great with terrain you can shoot through even. They are pumping out a ton of space combat missions when they are going to suddenly overhaul it all? Unlikely they would do such a project with the amount of other crap going on. Any space update will likely be utilizing current space game to advance it to something more meaningful, such as PVP and MP components. But a full blown sim? Yea folks are just going to be disappointed if that is what they are expecting.

I don't agree. If they were talking about it as something that was already being worked on as far back as the guild summit then it's more likely they had a team working on it since before launch. They said it was still being worked on as recently as Aug. I don't think they've canned it.

Woorloog

Banned
http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks

As Cystm said it's just stuff like conversations and other descriptions of content that's not in the game yet. Most of it was likely not very far along but was being worked on. As we've seen some of it has made it in and some hasn't. It also doesn't mean this is the only stuff they are working on.

Some of that stuff sounds really lame. Of course description is a description, maybe it could great in-game.

I don't think Hero Engine prevents TOR from having full space battles (exactly X-Wing/TIE Fighter like controls won't probably happen, it will be closer to current controls, i think), and some engines can be bent to do things people would have never imagined at first. And we gotta consider how modifed SWTOR's engine is, wasn't it bought when the Hero Engine was in mid development and has been modifed heavily since? We really don't have any idea what's it is capable of. Or more importantly, how capable the dev team is. Sadly i expect less from the latter than the former...

Realist or pessimist?

They've mentioned guild ships in the past, so it's hard to see how that would fit in with anything close to on rails combat. Full blown sim, though? You are right, in that regard - it's not likely. Just to clarify my perspective, Jump to light speed wasn't that deep, so no, I don't expect anything close to an actual space sim, but something along the lines of zones (in the same vein as zoned planets) and free flying within those zones. It seems likely to be very similar to the way questing/navigation functions on foot/speeders.

My break is almost over so yeah, apologies for the rushed post.

Edit: I hate posting from my POS phone.

I imagine guild ships to be nothing more than guild halls as seen in other MMOs. An instanced location where guilds can meet with various guild benefits. Doubt it will have any real gameplay implications. JtL was pretty close to a sim basically having all the fundamentals of the X-Wing games with quite a bit more aspects added in. I just don't see them going that routes, again believing they are just going to modify the current space game to allow for different functions and perhaps detail. Something free form like Star Trek Onlines with activities to do or such to spice things up will be great. But I'm just saying that folks will likely be disappointing since so many are expecting and wanting a return of JTL style open world sim.

UltraMav

I always assumed the "SSSP" was just going to be something similar to a Rogue Squadron clone, basically just letting us off the rails for instanced PvP and new PvE missions.

I hope I'm wrong and it's something really awesome though.

Birbo

As someone who loves Star Wars, typically only games on consoles and has never played an MMO, how hard is it to get into this? The recent F2P announcement and a $10 pricetag at Toys R Us has me seriously considering this.

As someone who loves Star Wars, typically only games on consoles and has never played an MMO, how hard is it to get into this? The recent F2P announcement and a $10 pricetag at Toys R Us has me seriously considering this.

Hard to say really as most who play have had experience with similar games in the MMO genre. I think for the large part a person can approach it pretty easily though as it's quite straight forward.

UltraMav

This was my situation and I've been playing (HAPPILY I SWEAR) since launch. I'd say it's at least worth a single play through for you to get the story. Might want to wait a month or so for F2P to hit if you're really not sure about MMO mechanics.

Or hell just download the free trial, I'd be happy to send you an invite as well so if you do end up subbing I can get that stupid cheater RaF mount. :p

StudioTan

Let UltraMav send you a trial code so you can try it for free (PS I love my cheater speeder :p)

It really comes down to how much you like traditional MMO style combat. It's sort of turn based in the sense you have a wait time between using one skill and then being able to activate another. It can provide strategic play but at the same time it's not as intense as playing something like a shooter or action game. Damage and healing are determined by stats and "dice rolls" as opposed to aiming like in most RPGs. Keep in mind you start off with very few skills, you get more each time you level.

Story wise it's very much in the KOTOR vein. The biggest difference is there are no saves, obviously, so you have to stick with your choices.

Cystm

This was my situation and I've been playing (HAPPILY I SWEAR) since launch. I'd say it's at least worth a single play through for you to get the story. Might want to wait a month or so for F2P to hit if you're really not sure about MMO mechanics.

Or hell just download the free trial, I'd be happy to send you an invite as well so if you do end up subbing I can get that stupid cheater RaF mount. :p

ik7lKWmiTM6jj.gif

Top Bottom