• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Heysoos

I was going through some of the screenshots that I've taken last night. Is it me or are they really compressed? If I size them to actual size, they look weird. It's really noticeable on screenshots of the scoreboard at the end of Warzones, the numbers look weird when I go to actual size. Is it just the game doing this? Maybe I should start using FRAPS for screenshots.

kmz

Neo Member
So there are chests in TFB, someone on reddit found two of them:

The PUG I was in found that first chest when somebody sharp eyed noticed a mob walking behind what looked like a wall.

The original Reddit post forgot to mention though that the first "chest" (between the Writhing Terror and the Dread Guard) is actually a Lobel mini-boss. He drops two Synthetic Matrixes and four Molecular Stabilizers. I think the chest before Operator IX dropped one and two of those same mats. Not sure what the chest after Operator IX drops... between late raiding times and pugging, I've killed bosses 1, 2, and 4.

HBroward

The last chest drops the same as the first in story mode, and both drop 3 Synthetic Energy Matrixes and 6 Molecular Stabilizers in HM TFB.

vilmer_

Anybody else's game freezing a lot after 1.4? I never really had a problem until now. :(

Just had this happen for the first time just now. Was in a warzone and suddenly froze out of nowhere to desktop. It was the last winning warzone for the weekly!! /shakes fist That was the first time the game has ever crashed for me.

Heysoos

Jay smash.
i9USAgpoisxWR.bmp

vilmer_

I've noticed over the past week or so that a lot of people are coming back to the game. Some haven't played in months, others are coming back from GW2. Every day it seems there's people in general chat saying they have just come back and are lost :lol I thought MoP would've caused at least a dent in population, but it appears to be the opposite (at least on PO5).

Marz

Why doesn't this game have hype anymore it seems? Especially with a franchise like Star Wars that has such a massive fanbase.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Why doesn't this game have hype anymore it seems? Especially with a franchise like Star Wars that has such a massive fanbase.

It's the same with all MMOs, hype tends to pick back up when there is an expansion released.

vilmer_

Messing around on an assault vanguard in warzones, level 12 and using 5 abilities and getting top 3 damage. I can see early on the damage capabilities, yikes :/

Bad press/hype early on killed much of it while bunch of other big online games have come and taken the spotlight. It's going F2P and too many that means the game is dead to them.

Bioware could have averted alot by being more on the ball with updating the game but instead it took them 4 months to put any content into the game and 8 months later that was still the only real content. Know lot of the players who did enjoy the game, just got tired of it since there wasn't anything to do for them anymore and Bioware was not delivering new content. If Bioware had been able to put out regular monthly or semi regular content with new features and stuff like events to keep folks logging in, things could have been much different. Many players didn't even make it to the first content update which took 4 months to put up and you can't blame them.

Awesome. Renewed my subscription last week. I enjoy GW2, but it actually made me appreciate TOR more, if that makes sense. Playing GW2 really made me miss the story aspect that TOR gives. I'm probably going to re-roll a republic character this time.

I feel the same. Love GW2, think it's amazing, but the storytelling efforts here became more redeeming.

Honestly. Honestly I still think that SWTOR should never have been a SUB based game. I think it's too much not-MMO to justify that.

I really think that SWTOR could get a second coming stronger than any of the other MMOs that went free-to-play. But the sort of free to play structure. I'm not sure if I think it's worth it. If you are limited to only a few PvP matches, it kills of a lot of the basic incentive to even want to come back.

The idea that making a half-baked experience to force people into subbing is not a good one. It's not going to work. More realistically people are not going to bother at all, and once again they will look at diminishing returns. Instead they should look at the DLC model, and offer content, new stories, races and cosmetic goods and so on, that will not give a power advantage and sell those.

At this rate none of my friends will even bother downloading it with all these restrictions. When it's something as basic as PvP, it's really tightened. It doesn't have to be this way. There has to be someone in charge who knows understands the customers. SWTOR has many wonderful things about it.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I feel the same. Love GW2, think it's amazing, but the storytelling efforts here became more redeeming.

Honestly. Honestly I still think that SWTOR should never have been a SUB based game. I think it's too much not-MMO to justify that.

I really think that SWTOR could get a second coming stronger than any of the other MMOs that went free-to-play. But the sort of free to play structure. I'm not sure if I think it's worth it. If you are limited to only a few PvP matches, it kills of a lot of the basic incentive to even want to come back.

The idea that making a half-baked experience to force people into subbing is not a good one. It's not going to work. More realistically people are not going to bother at all, and once again they will look at diminishing returns. Instead they should look at the DLC model, and offer content, new stories, races and cosmetic goods and so on, that will not give a power advantage and sell those.

At this rate none of my friends will even bother downloading it with all these restrictions. When it's something as basic as PvP, it's really tightened. It doesn't have to be this way. There has to be someone in charge who knows understands the customers. SWTOR has many wonderful things about it.

@bolded - That's pretty much what they're planning.

Also, you won't have to sub to PVP, you'll be able to buy access to the parts of the game you want. If you want all-access, get a sub. If you only want to PVP you'll be able to buy access to just that.

We still have to see how they limit the various elements in the game. Was not to enthused though when one of the devs was saying something like 1 flashpoint a week or something. I can see putting limits to get ppl to buy, but for warzones and flashpoints they might not want to be so strict.

We still have to see how they limit the various elements in the game. Was not to enthused though when one of the devs was saying something like 1 flashpoint a week or something. I can see putting limits to get ppl to buy, but for warzones and flashpoints they might not want to be so strict.

Exactly.

I'm not even beginning to want to do Warzones if I can only do 10 a week. Are you crazy? Sometimes you have 10 matches in a row that are absolute shit. We live in a world of great games being f2p. If they want to even have people playing, they need to step up the game.

I suggest ads during loading screens(who cares.. seriously. that wont break imersion if its just when your loading)!

The doctors leaving Bioware. I feel shitty about it. SWTOR is a lot better than what people have said. the game did nothing wrong except for not feeling very MMO-ey. Thats okay. We just need a bad ass f2p.

If cool races like the new cat race costed money, I would pay 10 dollars to play them. Ofc. If im going to spend hundreds of hours working on a guy, are you crazy. Im gonna make that character my ideal character. your giving me unrestricted access to the playground, now im paying for nicer looking tools (choice, not power!).

DOTA 2, GW2, TF2.. Lots of devs are beginning to get it. We can offer the entire game for free and still make mad bank. but those EA fish heads need to realize that the old rental car way of doing things were you fucking others over until your name is so tarnished people are afraid of you.

Truly this is the mindset of EA and Activision. Lets rape our franchises and our potential by thinking profit short term. grrrrrrrrr

Exactly.

I'm not even beginning to want to do Warzones if I can only do 10 a week. Are you crazy? Sometimes you have 10 matches in a row that are absolute shit. We live in a world of great games being f2p. If they want to even have people playing, they need to step up the game.

I suggest ads during loading screens(who cares.. seriously. that wont break imersion if its just when your loading)!

The doctors leaving Bioware. I feel shitty about it. SWTOR is a lot better than what people have said. the game did nothing wrong except for not feeling very MMO-ey. Thats okay. We just need a bad ass f2p.

If cool races like the new cat race costed money, I would pay 10 dollars to play them. Ofc. If im going to spend hundreds of hours working on a guy, are you crazy. Im gonna make that character my ideal character. your giving me unrestricted access to the playground, now im paying for nicer looking tools (choice, not power!).

DOTA 2, GW2, TF2.. Lots of devs are beginning to get it. We can offer the entire game for free and still make mad bank. but those EA fish heads need to realize that the old rental car way of doing things were you fucking others over until your name is so tarnished people are afraid of you.

Truly this is the mindset of EA and Activision. Lets rape our franchises and our potential by thinking profit short term. grrrrrrrrr

They likely don't have enough content to do f2p right off the bat so they are going to restrict access to parts of the game. The one good thing is that players who formerly subbed are getting cash shop currency for their purchases and each month they were subbed, potentially allowing those who come back for free to just use those credits to unlock PVP and other such things.

Hopefully the restrictions aren't that strict for F2P players. Having people pick and choose what they want is great but putting a limit on those sort of things to entice them isn't what I would have done.

Also I think having Eternity Vault story mode available to F2P players would be good for those who want a little taste of operations.

Heysoos

So apperantly the Assassin/Shadow spec of 23/17/1 is really good as of 1.4. Anyone have any idea what this spec is? (Not the Tank Madness(Balance) hybrid)

Cystm

So apperantly the Assassin/Shadow spec of 23/17/1 is really good as of 1.4. Anyone have any idea what this spec is? (Not the Tank Madness(Balance) hybrid)

Here's what I have been running on my Assassin since the tankassin nerfs, wasn't aware that it was a thing: 22/17/2

It's better damage mitigation via Darkness with enough damage from Deception to deal with Smash/burst.

Essentially, you spam Maul when Exploit Weakness pops :lol.

StudioTan

Interesting that they have a patch tomorrow at 11 am EDT until noon but they're patching without bringing down the servers. They're telling people to relog after the patch is done.

I wonder if this is how they will do it going forward or if it's only a client related patch and therefore the servers are unchanged and don't need to be brought down?

Milly79

Edit: Yooni, try setting SWTOR to XP service pack 3 compatibility in windows, someone reported a 50fps increase with an Nvidia card once he did that.

When I had my Mac, I took a shit load of precautions to try and make it run better. I carried that all over to my PC, thus that is enabled. Like I said it's not an issue of an FPS drop. It's just a lot more choppy, if that makes sense.

Edit - Aww, look what I found:

Edit 2 - Wow, Trevin:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=539582

Yea since last update, getting tons of graphical glitches. My laser from the sniper rifle will be randomly appearnig all over the screen when in combat. Red bands of.... things. Lagged effects. And anytime a loading screen appears, my UI is imposed over it for about 30 seconds as well.

HBroward

I hit 50 on Ishar last night, so I can finally begin the long process of gearing him up for pvp. I played one game in the recruit MK-2 set and it went better then expected, considering I was a sage with 14k health.

StudioTan

StudioTan

So it appears Daniel Erickson has officially left SWTOR. That's sad, I like him. Interesting to see how this plays out in regards to the direction of the game. I know him and James Ohlen worked on many of the core ideas together and afaik James is still there.

Moaradin

So it appears Daniel Erickson has officially left SWTOR. That's sad, I like him. Interesting to see how this plays out in regards to the direction of the game. I know him and James Ohlen worked on many of the core ideas together and afaik James is still there.

That really sucks. Daniel Erickson was pretty much the face of this game.

Draxal

So is James Ohlen "The Band?"

But for serious, pretty sure I'm done with the game once I finish class stories. I just have no confidence left in its future at this point.

I lost alot of interest/faith in the game as well, with Bioware not understanding the need for the carrot of the stick/content for casual players. With my current guild blowing up, they need to do alot to get me back, and hearing reports of all the bugs in 1.4 and how they aren't really doing anything about them is not helping.

I don't see why all the negativity at these people leaving, seeing as it's largely all these peoples fault that the game ended up with all it's problems that we had since launch.

I lost alot of interest/faith in the game as well, with Bioware not understanding the need for the carrot of the stick/content for casual players. With my current guild blowing up, they need to do alot to get me back, and hearing reports of all the bugs in 1.4 and how they aren't really doing anything about them is not helping.

They've been releasing patches each week so far trying to fix things, sadly they break something else while fixing a problem. Reminds me of SWG.

Top Bottom