• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

I'm planning on:

Legacy Unlock Chiss or Mirialan: 600cc (purchased for next character I make)
Destroyer's Armor set: 1200cc
Dire Eliminator's Chestguard: 325cc

That's 2125 cartel coins, which is currently more than I have on my main account. We'll see what I have after tomorrow...do I get subscriber bonus of 250 tomorrow as well?

Anyway, on my second account I have ~1600 more coins to spend so I might shell out on some packs as well.

FYI other inquisitors: the combination of Dire Eliminator's Chestguard + Destroyer's Helmet (from that armor set) + Battlemaster Force-Master/Mystic/whatever Lower Robes = awesome. That's why I'm shelling out on that. You get some of the look of a jugg/guardian/marauder (which we could never do before), but with a different color palette. Might not be to everyone's liking, but it's definitely different from what we had previously in regards to options.

Here's what it looks like: http://i.imgur.com/zOWfz.jpg

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If you sub tomorrow, you should actually get 500 coins instead of the 250 bonus, as the standard monthly bonus for a subscriber after F2P goes live is 500.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Question for folks who've been playing past few months: Have their been any changes/buffs that make leveling with non-healing companions worthwhile, or at least make Tank companions less squishy?

DPS companions have always been good, and if you got a good amount of presence buffs from legacy unlocks, your companions do crazy damage. Tank companions have always been kinda meh though unless your playing a healer. But presence legacy buffs help all the companions in general. Healer companions are helpful though not always ideal as they can make the games leveling process slower, dps companions can make stuff go faster.

Alur

I heard Keller's Void is now dead, so where can I find the mighty Gaf Empire now?

There is no GAF Empire anymore. Well, actually I think the republic GAF guild recreated it a couple weeks back but it houses only alts to my knowledge. We are now on Jedi Covenant server after the mergers. There are only around ~5 of us left from GAF Empire and most of those (Predeesh/Trevin/Camlost as you likely knew them) are in SWTOR Gangnam Style which is a raiding guild, and apparently a pretty good one at that.

Necrovex

There is no GAF Empire anymore. Well, actually I think the republic GAF guild recreated it a couple weeks back but it houses only alts to my knowledge. We are now on Jedi Covenant server after the mergers. There are only around ~5 of us left from GAF Empire and most of those (Predeesh/Trevin/Camlost as you likely knew them) are in SWTOR Gangnam Style which is a raiding guild, and apparently a pretty good one at that.

That's a major disappointment. I remember Gaf Empire made the grind a lot more fun.

Heysoos

GAF REPUBLIC LIVES FOREVER.

Seriously, I don't know how we never died. We had really good numbers during the launch window all the way through January. Then it just sort of died off. We had like 5 active people. Then we had a little boost. Then that died off. Then we got some more people, and have been going strong since then. Even when we lose some people, the number of actives seem completely unaffected because we always manage to get more peeps.

daoster

Seriously, I don't know how we never died. We had really good numbers during the launch window all the way through January. Then it just sort of died off. We have like 5 active people. Then we had a little boost. Then that died off. Then we got some more people, and have been going strong since then. Even we lose some people, the number of actives seem completely unaffected because we always manage to get more peeps.

I'm quite impressed that it's still going so strong!

Now let me do Ops again (lol) :(

CzarTim

Seriously, I don't know how we never died. We had really good numbers during the launch window all the way through January. Then it just sort of died off. We have like 5 active people. Then we had a little boost. Then that died off. Then we got some more people, and have been going strong since then. Even we lose some people, the number of actives seem completely unaffected because we always manage to get more peeps.
All hail Hobi!

Alur

Seriously, I don't know how we never died. We had really good numbers during the launch window all the way through January. Then it just sort of died off. We had like 5 active people. Then we had a little boost. Then that died off. Then we got some more people, and have been going strong since then. Even when we lose some people, the number of actives seem completely unaffected because we always manage to get more peeps.

From what I recall (and I may be wrong) GAF Empire was "best GAF" in the beginning because we took in outsiders from other guilds, poached them as it were for our 16 man raids and PVP. We would have 20-25+ a night for a long time. I was originally a member of Rep GAF from 1-34 before swapping to Qruul when I realized the numbers disadvantage and how that would play out over time.

It seems like I remember Rep GAF being solely GAF folks for the most part in those early days, so that probably hurt in the beginning. I think Republic faction in general on Keller's Void had a much greater kinship than Empire faction ever did due to there being so few of everyone in all guilds, especially in PVP, and that probably kept a few die hards around til the merger where you guys took over dominance.

I still play just a little harder in warzones when I see GAF folk on the other side, like I always did on KV, even if there's no more GAF Empire.

Alur

I am hopeful that when I finish this essay and other class work, these servers are gonna be up. Also that the bugs are not gamebreaking. They never tested purchasing the coins, so...

I am hopeful that when I finish this essay and other class work, these servers are gonna be up. Also that the bugs are not gamebreaking. They never tested purchasing the coins, so...

I would be more worried about the servers crashing under the weight of all the new players and huge queues

Alur

I would be more worried about the servers crashing under the weight of all the new players and huge queues

Man I'd be glad to see the servers strained and some queues instead of bugs. I just don't know where the word of mouth is so I don't know that it will happen. We've seen all the complaining about UI bars and gear restrictions, but haven't seen much PR from the BW end pushing that the game is launching F2P and all the good changes they've made.

CzarTim

I'm kind of hesitant about unlocking anything with CCs until we find out how much new character slots cost. The account wide unlocks cost just over double what the single character unlocks do, but I don't want to waste a bunch of coins for if I decide to just stick with one or two characters.

I'm kind of hesitant about unlocking anything with CCs until we find out how much new character slots cost. The account wide unlocks cost just over double what the single character unlocks do, but I don't want to waste a bunch of coins for if I decide to just stick with one or two characters.

For all we know, new character slots are not available to purchase. Don't know if that was just a test server thing or what.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Maintenance extended, no ETA. Pretty much expected. I suppose I should go do some work....F5 F5 F5

HBroward

Yeah GAF Empire was slowly dying, and we just lost the ability to raid consistently without pugging spots. So we all just merged with another guild at the time. So there is a GAF Empire, it just has alts, and isn't raiding atm. If anyone has geared empire characters that want to raid we could get you in SWTOR Gangnam Style if you like, at least until something happens with GAF Empire. We picked up some more good pvpers when Amateur Hour merged with us, and there is a lot of talk about putting together a ranked team. But we still have Azura, Yooni, Camlost, Areoron, and myself from the original GAF Empire all still going strong. Qruul, Cheeks, and some others are still around too. I expect to see more old faces popping back in soon as well now with F2P.

ShaneB

Maintenance extended, no ETA. Pretty much expected. I suppose I should go do some work....F5 F5 F5

By the time I'm home and maybe after watching a film, it will be around 11pm before I'll check in.. I figure things should be ok by then :p

Also, it's been nice to see the guild being fairly active in my short time, definitely not so hectic that I've been getting familiar with names here and there, and it should be nice to see more people coming back, and perhaps even more new players like myself.

Milly79

:lol

Next day I'm pretty sure was $50 something extra. I'm doing 3 day for free. Plus I'm pretty sure Newegg has a warehouse in Memphis which is 3~ hrs away. Pretty sure it didn't take 3 days last time I built.

HBroward

:lol

Next day I'm pretty sure was $50 something extra. I'm doing 3 day for free. Plus I'm pretty sure Newegg has a warehouse in Memphis which is 3~ hrs away. Pretty sure it didn't take 3 days last time I built.

Nice, $50 would be a sizable percentage of your total build cost, I guess I can't blame you there.

Alur

I've been enjoying the game more for a few weeks. Just doing more pve and way less/no pvp helped.

That's good, then. In the end for me, win always or lose often, I find PVP in SWTOR can still be the most frustrating thing in any MMO I've played.

Since I came back I've been trying to take the Ilye approach to PVP now.

He does weird stuff like testing out abilities or weird builds or only 1v1's or 3v1's or other craziness...lol, just strange stuff to spice it up and enjoys it. I've been trying to do some of the same. Lately instead of trying to push the usual 600-800k+ in healing per game, I'm trying to heal 500k+ with 100-150k+ DPS in the bubble spec. Sometimes there's too much damage and I can't and have to heal almost exclusively, but I hit 178k damage and 525k healing in Voidstar a few days back and preened around my keyboard a bit lol.

ShaneB

I've been enjoying the few pvp games I've been in. I definitely enjoy that it's objective based, since Arenas pretty much killed WoW pvp for me. I still miss the hours and hours spent in Arathi Basin. At least with objectives there's some sense of strategy instead of arenas which boiled down to arguing over team class balance and just trying to figure who to kill first.

Alur

I've been enjoying the few pvp games I've been in. I definitely enjoy that it's objective based, since Arenas pretty much killed WoW pvp for me. I still miss the hours and hours spent in Arathi Basin. At least with objectives there's some sense of strategy instead of arenas which boiled down to arguing over team class balance and just trying to figure who to kill first.

Yep, PVP is the main reason I play. Haven't been in a guild that could raid in some time and most of my friends PVP only anyway. I kind of look at it as my Halo/CoD as I suck at first person shooters.

ShaneB

Yep, PVP is the main reason I play. Haven't been in a guild that could raid in some time and most of my friends PVP only anyway. I kind of look at it as my Halo/CoD as I suck at first person shooters.

I'm finding the lower levels fine just because of the nature of scaling everyone to a bit more equal footing, is the gear gulf a big issue at 50? Would I get into games at 50 and get angry because I need better gear? lol

Alur

ShaneB said:
I'm finding the lower levels fine just because of the nature of scaling everyone to a bit more equal footing, is the gear gulf a big issue at 50? Would I get into games at 50 and get angry because I need better gear? lol

Well, you get the recruit MK-2 set which is better than nothing. It'll take you about 5-7 days of solid playing to get a full set of Battlemaster gear...it's at that point you'll be able to hold your own. I'd say if you aren't pulling 200k+ dps consistently in under 50 wz's it might be a rough transition. If you are over that threshold, you've probably got it down well enough. Also, if you know the objectives well enough.

Just got in!!!

Me too. Let's do this.

kms_md

it is better now than it used to be in that you get a set of low level pvp gear when you hit 50. if possible, you should get you valor to 40 as quick as possible (you cannot do it any earlier than level 40) so that you can stockpile ranked WZ credits.

ShaneB

Well, you get the recruit MK-2 set which is better than nothing. It'll take you about 5-7 days of solid playing to get a full set of Battlemaster gear...it's at that point you'll be able to hold your own. I'd say if you aren't pulling 200k+ dps consistently in under 50 wz's it might be a rough transition. If you are over that threshold, you've probably got it down well enough. Also, if you know the objectives well enough.

it is better now than it used to be in that you get a set of low level pvp gear when you hit 50. if possible, you should get you valor to 40 as quick as possible (you cannot do it any earlier than level 40) so that you can stockpile ranked WZ credits.

Sounds pretty reasonable. Got my valor to level 10 last night for the first title I wanted.

Top Bottom