• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Alur

But the game is great. I know it is, because I had a lot fun playing this at launch. Why does other games suddenly make one entitled and become all like this-does-things-differently-so-its-poo?
Maybe it's just habits?

I dunno. SWTOR is like the middle child or the dog you keep chained up outside by itself. It's overlooked or spat upon on a regular basis, sadly, but on the other hand it also doesn't particularly go out of it's way to keep from having it happen again.

All this to say...I feel like there's a percentage of folks who just can't get into, or back into, this game due to all the negative shit-stirring that has been around the game since launch and ultimately around anything Star Wars for years now.

I played TERA but wasn't interested in Guild Wars 2. I feel you on the action combat of TERA; it was very awesome and I'd have loved to have seen a similar system in SWTOR. Ultimately (at least on my Lancer) it came down to doing the same few things over and over when they needed to be done, much like this and every other MMO game does regardless of combat system. I gave it up for three reasons though. One, the community is pretty subpar and dwindling further - it's on the level of the 100+ SWTOR servers were before the first set of mergers IMO. Two, not a lot of endgame variance. And 3, there was no PVP at the time.

Leveling up is a far more interactive experience COMBAT wise in TERA, I'll give you that...but the story and the VA is much better here IMO, though I liked the TERA storyline. I don't play to level or listen to the story though, I play SWTOR to PVP first and raid second. At max level, I still don't think there's a better combat system for PVP, and raiding obviously requires a little more of you than AOE a pack of normal mobs and a silver.

I would suggest giving it a fresh start from level 1, maybe, if you did love it and want to try to find it again but can't on your current character. You can always go back to him later. Maybe roll a sith instead of a jedi. I started Republic (shadow) and went Empire (sorcerer) and haven't really looked back - the players are more colorful, the gear looks about 3000x better, and you can still be a good guy if you want I suppose. If you stay Republic side, get on Jedi Covenant and get in the GAF guild on that faction. Lots of folks in there from the forums and just other normal players to talk to and play with, and they are all great people - except for Hummus.

mikeGFG

Banned
I've been playing around on my Guardian lvl 29 for a few hours. I log in, get familiar with everything, and start playing.

I'm not feeling it. It's not the feeling of having missed it. I'm wondering if I should delete my character and start over? I havent played since launch. Should I play with a RL-Friend.

It's not SWTORs fault that it ain't TERA/GW2, but goddamit I've gotten used to the action combat, and I cant stop but be upset at my vaseline dead-stare character made of clay, the crazy run animations like it's from a benny hill segment and other stuff.

But the game is great. I know it is, because I had a lot fun playing this at launch. Why does other games suddenly make one entitled and become all like this-does-things-differently-so-its-poo?
Maybe it's just habits?

in my opinion, after heavily investing in Guild Wars (and a little bit of TERA), SWToR F2P is absolutely unplayable.

I tried to finish up the last 5 levels on my Trooper and I just couldnt do it.

Almost every menu is a nag screen-- even trying to add an action bar costs some space bucks. The combat feels wooden. the graphics are garish. and looking back, the final act for the trooper echos the final deflating act for the mass effect trilogy: pointless.

Section X is pretty big and seems more thought out than Black Hole was, but the pop cap on it seems a bit high. The same issue with players trying to complete quests but too many players in an area.

I am sick of Belsavis though, any further daily areas added need to use one of the lower level planets for variety plz. And again disapointed that Section X is another instanced zone like Black Hole, and not part of the actual planet. They have so much space on these planets, it would be ideal if they would simply make use of that space to put new content on instead of making it new instances. Illum and Belsavis original daily hubs were just part of the planet and that was great and how it should be usually. I can understand instancing it off lets them do newer stuff easier though.

But the lag last night was horrendous, 3 second delays and my ping was fine. There was queues last night even for subscribers but that lag was just too bad, and they aren't really advertising the f2p yet to the public with any marketing so far.

Do they really have the server capacity for this f2p?

Necrovex

I've been playing around on my Guardian lvl 29 for a few hours. I log in, get familiar with everything, and start playing.

I'm not feeling it. It's not the feeling of having missed it. I'm wondering if I should delete my character and start over? I havent played since launch. Should I play with a RL-Friend.

It's not SWTORs fault that it ain't TERA/GW2, but goddamit I've gotten used to the action combat, and I cant stop but be upset at my vaseline dead-stare character made of clay, the crazy run animations like it's from a benny hill segment and other stuff.

Maybe it's just habits?

A RL friend always make the grind somewhat easier to handle. I am going to talk to one of my friends soon to convince him to join me on my server (fuck Bioware for not giving me the option of choosing which server I wanted to be at). We were both on Keller's Void during the launch. Now, I don't even know which server I am even on. :p

The game looks better than I remembered too.

kmz

Neo Member
And again disapointed that Section X is another instanced zone like Black Hole, and not part of the actual planet. They have so much space on these planets, it would be ideal if they would simply make use of that space to put new content on instead of making it new instances. Illum and Belsavis original daily hubs were just part of the planet and that was great and how it should be usually. I can understand instancing it off lets them do newer stuff easier though.

I haven't actually tried loading Section X yet but honestly I'm so so glad it's not part of Belsavis proper. Even with my games on an SSD, Belsavis takes ages and ages to load. Before quick travel to Black Hole/the dailies shuttles, loading Corellia was a pain too. I'm happy to queue for Warzones or Flashpoints while I'm doing dailies on Ilum or Black Hole, because I know it won't be a huge pain to zone back in. The few times a week that I do Bel though? Never.

zugzug

lol have 20 characters stuck on one server and 11 on another which is now labelled east coast server where I'm fairly sure some of those 11 were on west coast servers before.

I got the bug can't create any more characters says I have to delete 48 characters when I count only 44 on my visible account.

Watching this guys stream makes me wanna roll on his pve west coast server but I cannot move any of my chars or create a new one to reroll.

I haven't actually tried loading Section X yet but honestly I'm so so glad it's not part of Belsavis proper. Even with my games on an SSD, Belsavis takes ages and ages to load. Before quick travel to Black Hole/the dailies shuttles, loading Corellia was a pain too. I'm happy to queue for Warzones or Flashpoints while I'm doing dailies on Ilum or Black Hole, because I know it won't be a huge pain to zone back in. The few times a week that I do Bel though? Never.

Thats part of the problem though, you still load up belsavis and then you take a shuttle to section x which is a whole different load screen. Black Hole is the same unless you spend the creds/cartel coins on the direct travel quick travel options for the dailies.

Alur

Section X is pretty big and seems more thought out than Black Hole was, but the pop cap on it seems a bit high. The same issue with players trying to complete quests but too many players in an area.

I am sick of Belsavis though, any further daily areas added need to use one of the lower level planets for variety plz. And again disapointed that Section X is another instanced zone like Black Hole, and not part of the actual planet. They have so much space on these planets, it would be ideal if they would simply make use of that space to put new content on instead of making it new instances. Illum and Belsavis original daily hubs were just part of the planet and that was great and how it should be usually. I can understand instancing it off lets them do newer stuff easier though.

But the lag last night was horrendous, 3 second delays and my ping was fine. There was queues last night even for subscribers but that lag was just too bad, and they aren't really advertising the f2p yet to the public with any marketing so far.

Do they really have the server capacity for this f2p?

I wouldn't worry man. You are comparing apples with oranges. How many hundreds of people are gonna be doing the HK quests a month from now or even 2 weeks from now? It's just that new car smell and everyone wanted to take it for a ride. The numbers will probably stay high through the weekend and start dwindling as folks get their companion and resume normal fleet voyeurism.

EDIT: Also, login server has "intermittent" issues...aka, it's down.

Cystm

A RL friend always make the grind somewhat easier to handle. I am going to talk to one of my friends soon to convince him to join me on my server (fuck Bioware for not giving me the option of choosing which server I wanted to be at). We were both on Keller's Void during the launch. Now, I don't even know which server I am even on. :p

The game looks better than I remembered too.

If you were on Keller's Void then you are now on Jedi Covenant with the rest of GAF. There is an officers list in the OP and you can also /who GAF and get an invite. Most anyone will be happy to help you out.

lol have 20 characters stuck on one server and 11 on another which is now labelled east coast server where I'm fairly sure some of those 11 were on west coast servers before.

I got the bug can't create any more characters says I have to delete 48 characters when I count only 44 on my visible account.

Watching this guys stream makes me wanna roll on his pve west coast server but I cannot move any of my chars or create a new one to reroll.

How the hell do you have 44 character man? Make up your mind! :p

I wouldn't worry man. You are comparing apples with oranges. How many hundreds of people are gonna be doing the HK quests a month from now or even 2 weeks from now? It's just that new car smell and everyone wanted to take it for a ride. The numbers will probably stay high through the weekend and start dwindling as folks get their companion and resume normal fleet voyeurism.

EDIT: Also, login server has "intermittent" issues...aka, it's down.

I was getting lag everywhere though not just section x, game was really performing like crap last night even with a great ping with the server listed as full and a queue to log in. I just had to stop. I'm more concerned with the f2p player influx which is going to keep growing especially once they decide to start marketing the free to play option to the public.

RPGCrazied

Couple of questions.

Is the only way to get quicker quick travel and no xp loss is by subbing? I didn't see anything related to those in the cartel shop.

Also, how do you display both action bars? I only have one shown, but can hit the down arrow for the other.

Thanks. I'm almost level 14!

Cystm

I was getting lag everywhere though not just section x, game was really performing like crap last night even with a great ping with the server listed as full and a queue to log in. I just had to stop. I'm more concerned with the f2p player influx which is going to keep growing especially once they decide to start marketing the free to play option to the public.

I had no issues at all when I logged on last night. It was kind of late I guess if that actually matters.

Edit:
Couple of questions.

Is the only way to get quicker quick travel and no xp loss is by subbing? I didn't see anything related to those in the cartel shop.

Also, how do you display both action bars? I only have one shown, but can hit the down arrow for the other.

Thanks. I'm almost level 14!

They are in the Cartel Market under the 'Consumables' tab

To your second question, you can customize your UI via the interface editor when you hit esc.

Alur

I had no issues at all when I logged on last night. It was kind of late I guess if that actually matters.

Yep, I had no issues at all and I was on from 10 CST til the servers went down. 3 instances of fleet when I got on, no more than the usual stutter at the GTN, everything else was cool. No unusual lag in PVP that I noticed.

HBroward

Damn, the 1.05a patch today fixed being able to use consumables without them being consumed. So long free Exotech stims, it was great while it lasted. Back to crafting overtime again.

I've seen on the comparison page that Free/Preferred players can only choose from 3 species. Checked a couple wikis, but they didn't have any information on which these are? I'm assuming one is human.

notworksafe

Wow they really gimped non-subscribers. That's fine, I'll pay for a month to get all the actionbars back and be able to not show my ugly ass helmet while I finish my story.

Mission success, Bioware.

EDIT: Actually I won't, since the website is down.

HBroward

I highly recommend reading this interview Dulfy conducted with Damion Schubert. They tease some interesting things, like potentially getting dye packs for our armor, and the option to change your advanced class eventually. They also mention several new events next year, along with bringing back the old ones. So sell those rakghoul event items now, they will plummet once word gets out.

Heysoos

I highly recommend reading this interview Dulfy conducted with Damion Schubert. They tease some interesting things, like potentially getting dye packs for our armor, and the option to change your advanced class eventually. They also mention several new events next year, along with bringing back the old ones. So sell those rakghoul event items now, they will plummet once word gets out.

I managed to sell one of my Rakghouls for 1.5m and another for 800k. :)

They mentioned before that the rakghoul event token vendor was likely to come back. Figured they would recycle events. Hopefully they add some new stuff or twists to these events though.

*edit: Bleh Cathar are going to likely be paid for race even for subscribers, lame. At least they are confirming that you will be able to buy extra character slots in the future

HBroward

I managed to sell one of my Rakghouls for 1.5m and another for 800k. :)

Nice. I still have a Pale rakling and a green-black crit crystal I'm going to try and unload now with all the returning players. I made a killing last night selling aug kits, they were going for 45k a piece on the low end.

Necrovex

If you were on Keller's Void then you are now on Jedi Covenant with the rest of GAF. There is an officers list in the OP and you can also /who GAF and get an invite. Most anyone will be happy to help you out.

You made my day! I can finally talk to people again!

RPGCrazied

Edit:

They are in the Cartel Market under the 'Consumables' tab

To your second question, you can customize your UI via the interface editor when you hit esc.

Thanks. I got the $9.99 deal, 1050 coins or something. But its not showing up that I have my coins. Only a $1 charge from the bank from swotr.com. Does it take awhile or something?

vilmer_

Thanks. I got the $9.99 deal, 1050 coins or something. But its not showing up that I have my coins. Only a $1 charge from the bank from swotr.com. Does it take awhile or something?

It should be instant. I grabbed the $19.99 pack last night and it appeared right away.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Odd. Did you get a $1 charge for anything?
I'm confused. My tax was included, it came to like $10.50. All I see at bank statement is a $1.00 charge. I guess I'll give it an hour before freaking out.

That sounds like a pre-authorization charge, a temporary hold of a specific amount, $1 in this case, of the available balance on a credit/debit card. They're normally used to confirm a credit/debit account is legit the first time it's used. It'll get refunded/disappear from your statement once the actual purchase has gone through the payment systems, usually within 24 hours.

If you don't have the actual purchase on your statement, that could mean a number of things. I have no idea how SWTOR works but I imagine they have a rule-set every payment has to pass through to check for fraud and so forth (your entered details matching what the bank has etc, billing country and whatever).

RPGCrazied

That sounds like a pre-authorization charge, a temporary hold of a specific amount, $1 in this case, of the available balance on a credit/debit card. They're normally used to confirm a credit/debit account is legit the first time it's used. It'll get refunded/disappear from your statement once the actual purchase has gone through the payment systems, usually within 24 hours.

If you don't have the actual purchase on your statement, that could mean a number of things. I have no idea how SWTOR works but I imagine they have a rule-set every payment has to pass through to check for fraud and so forth (your entered details matching what the bank has etc, billing country and whatever).

I hope so. I want to buy that quick travel reducer. Preferred status is cool I guess. I have no idea what else to buy. The XP ones look like one time uses? Ew.

That's pretty standerd across F2P games.

The crappy part is that they reduced f2p player xp gains just to sell xp boosts that just get rid of that loss for 1-3 hours.

A better expense of ones cartel coins might be to purchase some of the legacy xp boosts since they are permanent.

Also this week was released Drew K's new TOR novel "Annihilation"

8190582875_18fe9d16ff_b.jpg

Pretty good so far, though note that it is set after the events of the games main storyline and seems to a have a couple spoilers for bits of the class stories. Haven't finished it yet but always good to have a SW story focused on a non jedi

daoster

Pretty good so far, though note that it is set after the events of the games main storyline and seems to a have a couple spoilers for bits of the class stories. Haven't finished it yet but always good to have a SW story focused on a non jedi

Might check it out, cause my Slinger seems bored after finishing his epic quest.

Alur

What did I miss you selling?

I was selling a stack of Enriched Durasteel, but someone bought off GTN before anyone even saw it here I guess.

EDIT: Also, if anyone of rep GAF wants a Republic Banner or Shatele Shan training holostatue, hit me up. I'm gonna sell the statue and will be glad to hand over the Banner for free if you want it.

Heysoos

I was selling a stack of Enriched Durasteel, but someone bought off GTN before anyone even saw it here I guess.

EDIT: Also, if anyone of rep GAF wants a Republic Banner or Shatele Shan training holostatue, hit me up. I'm gonna sell the statue and will be glad to hand over the Banner for free if you want it.

I'll take the banner! :D

Speaking of items. The little symbol next to shop items indicate it's rarity? Bronze -> Silver -> Gold. Right?

HBroward

The world PvP is so good on Section X. 3v1'ing Imps all day. I forgot about getting HK, hah.

That's my favorite part too, I was cruising around solo on my sniper in my full pvp set and wrecking people who thought I was easy pickings. Good times indeed. Some scoundrel named Braxis tried to ambush me, but ended up with me laughing at his corpse.

HBroward

I'll take the Shatele statue, I got some more stuff last night that may tempt you, just save it until I get a chance to login in an hour and a half or so please. I can trade Malgus 1 for 1 even potentially.

Alur

I'll take the Shatele statue, I got some more stuff last night that may tempt you, just save it until I get a chance to login in an hour and a half or so please. I can trade Malgus 1 for 1 even potentially.

I'm up to 3 pink purple crystals and no whites :(. And no damn Tythonian Lightsaber. RNG gods hate me just like back in EV.

I have a couple pets, Crimson Claw mount, and this awesome helmet...I forget what it's called, not the spymaster one but another. It looks like a ninja mask on the front, but operative helm in the back. I struggled to keep from equipping it lol.

RPGCrazied

Still nothing. Though over on the official forums, seems like people are having cartel coin troubles, anyone try buying some today? Also, I guess the quick travel is for only one time? Sure wish they would add a permanent one. Would I be able to use the items in the packs? Says they are of rare quality and maybe a super rare. I can use those without the license? Looks like they come with pets too. Or I guess maybe the extra quickbar.

Tess3ract

Banned

Drew K is not a good writer. He's very low on the scale of good scifi writers

Top Bottom