• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

HBroward

Just pick something and kill people, I'm sure you'll do well with whatever you choose. We'll get you back in the pvp saddle pretty damn quick.

Wallach

Can we still 3 shot people in PvP?

I miss hidden strike ---> vanish ---> hidden strike.

They're actually still pretty decent in PvP. Just don't expect much on the PvE side of things, the sustained is kind of garbage; for whatever reason they still haven't addressed this after months of data.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
They're actually still pretty decent in PvP. Just don't expect much on the PvE side of things, the sustained is kind of garbage; for whatever reason they still haven't addressed this after months of data.

Yeah I'm not too worried about PvE, if I even do it, it would be on the marauder. I mostly enjoy PvP. I wish SWTOR had arena :(, WHEN ARE THEY ADDING THIS!!!

Just logged on tonight to check out the war hero gear, and damn, there's like no difference between war hero and elite war hero, especially since they normalized expertise. Nice break from WoW where gearing up alts was nearly impossible (getting your weapon took 5 weeks minimum, and going from normal wep. ---> pvp wep was a +30% damage boost in PvP... go figure, this excludes the rest of the gear set too).

Got a lot of PvP to do, especially after finding out the guardian 4 pc pvp set bonus is 10x better than the marauder version (15% extra damage after charging LOL SMASH ROFLSTOMP SKILLZZZZ)...

The pvp is supposed to be designed around team play, it's not balanced for one on one and small play, so I doubt they will do arenas.

To even consider it, they would need to add in a separate pvp spec option if anything.

Any type of arena thingie would have to be kinda just for fun and not any type of serious competitive affair. The mess that was WoW pvp after they put in the small scale pvp arenas and how it became such a central factor in their balancing. "zomg my tank can't beat that dps build 1 on 1.... NERF!!!!"

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Well that's why you don't balance around 1v1 or 2v2, SWTOR would be perfect for balancing around 4v4. Team deathmatch is always fun and a 4v4 arena puts a magnifying glass on balance, whereas BGs usually allow OP and UP classes to stay static for quite some time (see marauders and powertechs, at least when I quit). Many people think arenas and BGs can't coexist, but I firmly believe they can and that the more options for PvP, the better.

A 4 v 4 thing could work, but really they have to first show they can get to supporting the current pvp. They still have to sort out and show actual support for the ranked 8 v 8, and the other forms of pvp such as more open world stuff that was mentioned in the state of the game letter.

There was also that data that was mined about bounty test stuff. A bounty system would be neat, though the only way I can see them implementing it would be to do it just like DC Universe Online did it, where you get a bounty quest to kill x amount of the opposing faction players in the open world within your level range.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Arenas killed WoW PvP. Keep that shit far far far far away from MMOs.

lol come on bro before arenas wow pvp was a giant 1 shot mega unbalanced BG clusterfck. I don't know some people hate them with a passion, but I like to think an equal number or even more love them to death--the more pvp options the better. The only reason me and some of my buds keep resubbing to WoW is to do arena. Bioware doesn't seem interested in balancing PvP at all anyway, so you wouldn't have to worry about the magnifying glass that arena gameplay puts on class balance.

Plus with the KOTOR hutt arena it fits right in with the lore ;)! There's an arena in every other Star Wars game :D.

ShaneB

Different strokes for different folks. I hated the WoW Arenas with a passion. Before the Arenas showed up my guild would spend hours upon hours in Arathi Basin and had a blast. Still some of my favourite gaming memories. Same with Alterac Valley, but I was never much a fan of WSG.

I've loved all the pvp I've done so far in TOR, as I like the variety of objectives, and that's just what I prefer. Arenas just boiled down to arguments over class balance and every little ability being scrutinized. It drove everyone crazy.

That reminds me that I need to get back to playing and get to 50 on my Gunslinger so I can group with for some gaf pvp.

UltraMav

Speaking of pvp, anyone else experience a sharp uptick in the amount of warzone bitching lately? Maybe it's a side effect of F2P or something.

lol come on bro before arenas wow pvp was a giant 1 shot mega unbalanced BG clusterfck. I don't know some people hate them with a passion, but I like to think an equal number or even more love them to death--the more pvp options the better. The only reason me and some of my buds keep resubbing to WoW is to do arena. Bioware doesn't seem interested in balancing PvP at all anyway, so you wouldn't have to worry about the magnifying glass that arena gameplay puts on class balance.

Plus with the KOTOR hutt arena it fits right in with the lore ;)! There's an arena in every other Star Wars game :D.

I would imagine they do want to balance pvp, but initially when they did they got a lot of flak since the class changes being made to pvp were affecting the pve players.

Hence why I think they should implement separate pvp build options like some other games have done, like RIFT

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Any good biochem guides out there? Decided I have to level it on my operative to min/max... Did this on my marauder over a year ago, not looking forward to leveling it again lol.

Any good biochem guides out there? Decided I have to level it on my operative to min/max... Did this on my marauder over a year ago, not looking forward to leveling it again lol.
I remember there being a really good Biochem leveling guide someone made. Let me find it.

EDIT: I can't find it.

Draxal

Blizz pretty much admitted that they probably wouldn't have done arenas if they had a do-over. It's just the balance needed for arenas needs to be a lot tighter than even bg pvp, and too many balance changes for pvp always alienates pvers. I don't think anybody would play SWTOR arena, due to how horrible the class balance already is.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Blizz pretty much admitted that they probably wouldn't have done arenas if they had a do-over. It's just the balance needed for arenas needs to be a lot tighter than even bg pvp, and too many balance changes for pvp always alienates pvers. I don't think anybody would play SWTOR arena, due to how horrible the class balance already is.

Yeah that was one of the blizz execs, but I think that was more his personal opinion than anything. I think if WoW removed arenas tomorrow it would kill 1/3 of their subscriber base. Regardless of class balance, arena is insanely fun with a small group of friends and can be very addicting. RBGs was such a massive failure in WoW that they essentially forced people to play RBGs to cap out on conquest points (equivalent of ranked comms), they left massive exploits/win trading in the system (most of the top players on every server are win traders, been there for months). The balance in WoW RBGs is even worse with only classes that have some gimmicky aoe ability being taken. Part of why I quit WoW was because they don't seem to care about PvP systems anymore. They were very active on class balance, but the amount of MMR exploiting going on, the massive problems in the arena gearing system that deflated MMR and reduced activity--nothing is being done on these fronts so back to SWTOR it is.

There are advantages to both, arena does require a lot more balancing than PvE content does or maybe BGs, but I think it's worth it. You can play with arena balance without affecting PvE (as blizzard has been doing recently) by buffing/nerfing utility (slows, stuns, CCs, etc...) and making the damage modifier on certain abilities different in PvE and PvP. For example, smash does 20% less damage against players.

Problem is not smash, it's specific builds that make it overpowered. People asking for smash nerfs are just in turn screwing over tank build guards and jugs who don't do amazing Smash damage. Being one of my Jugs only AOE abilities, a 20% would really further make my tank jug even more useless in pvp than it already feels.

Heysoos

Smash is so ridiculously overpowered, you're gimping yourself if you don't play it. It's basically the Sage/Sorc AoE hybrid all over. That said it's boring as shit to play.

vilmer_

Smash is so ridiculously overpowered, you're gimping yourself if you don't play it. It's basically the Sage/Sorc AoE hybrid all over. That said it's boring as shit to play.

I've been Focus/Sweep spec since the beginning, and I haven't been playing him that much because there are so many of them now :/ I don't think the class is any different now than it was before 1.2 (or was it 1.3) when they removed adrenals etc in warzones. I used to crit for around 10k :lol Survivability however is still a HUGE problem.

I think a lot of people think that by hitting 50 and getting some gear will turn them into 6k+ sweep monsters when in reality you need to be fully min/maxed and have your power at least 1450-1500 to really see the massive crit damage.

On another note, either I'm losing my mind or... I cannot for the life of me buy any Elite War Hero gear. I have the shell, have the ranked comms and the items are listed as available but when I go to purchase, it just keeps saying "you cannot afford this item." Gah!!

Im not changing my build just to be flavor of the month for pvp purposes. Problems are with specific tree build and not the ability itself (rage tree mainly)

On another note, either I'm losing my mind or... I cannot for the life of me buy any Elite War Hero gear. I have the shell, have the ranked comms and the items are listed as available but when I go to purchase, it just keeps saying "you cannot afford this item." Gah!!

You have to take off the war hero piece you are trading in. It has to be in your inventory to purchase the Elite version

Cystm

ibnwehJNQEkTsh.png

Heysoos

Dumb steam sales.

I've been kinda alting lately, man having a main actually makes it harder in a way. I'm always wanting to have full orange with blue mods up to date at all times. Makes the leveling process so much longer than it needs to be. Not to mention having to PVP my way to full (ranked and unranked) comms cap before 50.

/firstworldproblems.

HBroward

Thanks, it was pretty epic, we one shot every boss in there tonight. The new mount was just icing on the cake. We were the 5th guild to clear it on our server, and I don't think any of them have the title yet.

Hurry time is running out to preorder Rise of the Hutt Cartel!!!

Course they still haven't told us jack about it. Holiday is over, hopefully communication kicks back in soon.

HBroward

Amazingly, that is now TWO mounts in a row that he hasn't won the rolls for. I think he is slipping. One more miss and I'm pretty sure the rules state he has to forgo his loot whore title and rank.

Alur

Amazingly, that is now TWO mounts in a row that he hasn't won the rolls for. I think he is slipping. One more miss and I'm pretty sure the rules state he has to forgo his loot whore title and rank.

I dunno man. I am fairly certain after such a long and triumphant reign as Yoon(a or i) The Loot Whore (the second) he can coast on past accomplishments until someone else proves worthy of the crown.

In other news, I almost screwed around and didn't get the pre-order in.

Kyari

Hope we get some awesome new cc items today, assuming there's a patch. It's dumb but I like seeing what new armour sets they put up there.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hurry time is running out to preorder Rise of the Hutt Cartel!!!

Course they still haven't told us jack about it. Holiday is over, hopefully communication kicks back in soon.

Yeah, I didn't preorder. I will probably end up buying it, but at this point they haven't convinced me it will be worth my money, despite the modest price. I just generally don't like throwing down money on things without knowing much about them, regardless of cost.

Someone showed that they got a +41 expertise white crystal from the new pack.

So they fixed the previous packs look of gear, that is pissing off lot of folks who bought them hehe. I'm glad they fixed the look as I wanted the Phantom chest piece, but lot of agents got the chest piece because it looked like agent gear when it was obviously supposed to be Sith gear

Cystm

Character expansion is up in the market, so that's cool for F2Play players.
re:peasants.

i0dHMYUtepr3e.jpg

Additional Character Slot – 600 CC

• Server character slot allow a new character to be created on each server.
  • Subscribers begins with 12 Character Slot per server.
  • Preferred Status players beging with 6 Character Slots per server.
  • Free to Play players begin with 2 character slots per server.
  • This item will allow preferred stats players to activate an inactive character on a server.

kmz

Neo Member
Someone showed that they got a +41 expertise white crystal from the new pack.

As far as I know white crystals of all varieties have been dropping from all the packs. I know I got an End one from the Crime Lord packs. And I regularly see Expertise ones on GTN.

Ashodin

The best update from the patch was not posted, I see:

Vendors now have a "Sell Junk" button that can be used to automatically sell inventory items that would be sold when sending a companion to sell junk.

Clearly the best part of the update.

Glad to see they finally got additional character slots up and running. Also glad to see they changed the F2P and Preferred character limits to being per server instead of global.

Top Bottom