• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So I actually made it out to X-Wing night last night and I'm really impressed with Talonbane Cobra (the PS9 Kihraxz pilot) with Expert Handling. Giving him that situational barrel roll, which sometimes can make the difference in using his pilot ability (doubling combat range bonuses for attack and defense), is huge. I also gave him Glitterstim, which is great for that one big turn when you're going to take some heat but you've got a great shot lined up at the same time.

Dual TLT Syndicate Thugs are too good, BTW. Too good.

Yo dudes,

I have a few sets, looking to start playing at my lgs in a few weeks. I currently have:
-Core set
-Outrider
-E-Wing
-Imp Aces

What else should I pick up to have some fun and be somewhat competitive? Any must haves?

I'd rather focus on rebels.

Thanks

The Twin Laser Turret upgrade has become the new hotness. Two copies come with each K-Wing, and they're typically put on Y-Wings ... sometimes HWK-290s. So you might consider buying a K-Wing and a couple Y-Wings (perhaps one Y-Wing and the Most Wanted expansion, which comes with another Y-Wing model and dial that can be used with Rebels) to try it out.

B-Wings definitely are a good suggestion. The Millennium Falcon is a necessity for Rebels, at least so you get several of the upgrade cards in it like Engine Upgrade and Chewbacca.

The X-Wing Expansion Pack comes with Wedge, the best X-Wing pilot and a very good choice in a lot of Rebel lists.

Toxi

Banned
B-wings are the workhorse of tons of Rebel lists. Both the single expansion and Rebel Aces are great additions.

The latter also comes with some *very* good upgrades for the A-wings, a ship you should love unless you are the devil himself.
Can confirm this. B-Wings are tanks. 5 shields, 3 hull, 3 attack dice, and a barrel roll for 22 points is great.

Nete

A couple more games with my AT-AT :)D) list, and I'm very, very, confused with the T-70. For now has been pretty difficult to get a good performance from them, but I'm not sure if I don't know how to fly them or it's just the gods fucking with me.

I think going for the ABBA route would be the safe bet, but I really wanted to make it work with the T-70. Groarg.

The list:

Green Squadron Pilot (19)
Wired (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Wired (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Blue Squadron Novice (24)
R2 Astromech (1)
Autothrusters (2)

R2 Astromech (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

ABBA variant would be 2 Blue Bs with FCS and Tactician, or 2 Daggers with FCS and Tractor Beam if it becomes something good once it's released. Although a triple Green + Blue Ace with BB8 and Thrusters could be interesting. Uhm...

The Wired As are amazeballs. I really need that card on a regular expansion pack.

slimfitcasual

Neo Member
aw yeah megaton announcement

swx43-48.png

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/17/what-color-is-your-squadron/

Awwww, no clear black??

Tensketch

A couple more games with my AT-AT :)D) list, and I'm very, very, confused with the T-70. For now has been pretty difficult to get a good performance from them, but I'm not sure if I don't know how to fly them or it's just the gods fucking with me.

I think going for the ABBA route would be the safe bet, but I really wanted to make it work with the T-70. Groarg.

The list:

Wired (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

Wired (1)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)

R2 Astromech (1)
Autothrusters (2)

R2 Astromech (1)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

ABBA variant would be 2 Blue Bs with FCS and Tactician, or 2 Daggers with FCS and Tractor Beam if it becomes something good once it's released. Although a triple Green + Blue Ace with BB8 and Thrusters could be interesting. Uhm...

The Wired As are amazeballs. I really need that card on a regular expansion pack.

I really want to try wired on Tycho Celchu with the title and PTL, or super Jake Farrel.

Slermy

Hey X-Wing GAF.

I'm a new player and could use some squad building advice. I have the following at my disposal:

3 TIE Interceptors
2 TIEs
1 TIE Defender

I'd like to run:
Turr Phennir (Veteran Instincts / Royal Guard TIE / Autothrusters / Stealth Device)
and my TIE Defender in any capacity.

Both of those ships seem to last me a while, but I'm not quite sure how I should round out the rest of the 100 pts. I've tried both a base level TIE Defender with the Delta Squadron Pilot, all the way up to Colonel Vessery (Predator / Heavy Laser Cannon / Shield Upgrade).

As far as the actual stuff I have, I own:
Original Core Set
TIE Defender Expansion
TIE Interceptor Expansion
Imperial Aces Expansion
StarViper Expansion
Z-95 Headhunter Expansion
A handful of loose upgrade cards including Heavy Laser Cannon and Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

I'd like to run:
Turr Phennir (Veteran Instincts / Royal Guard TIE / Autothrusters / Stealth Device)
and my TIE Defender in any capacity.

You may want to consider running Push The Limit with Turr Phennir; it opens up some interesting options since you can trigger PTL after his free boost or barrel roll action that triggers after his attack.

Nete

One possiblity could be Turr, a Delta with 4 points of something (Mangler or Ion+Mk.II) and Soontir with the full suit (PTL, Autothrusters, Stealth Device).

Slermy

You may want to consider running Push The Limit with Turr Phennir; it opens up some interesting options since you can trigger PTL after his free boost or barrel roll action that triggers after his attack.

I tried Push the Limit with Turr my last game, and it didn't seem to be too applicable since I can only really pick "Evade" or "Barrel/Boost" as my Push the Limit action, no? Though I guess if I gave up Autothrusters or Stealh Device for a Targeting Computer, that could help setup Colonel Vessery. Hmmm...

One possiblity could be Turr, a Delta with 4 points of something (Mangler or Ion+Mk.II) and Soontir with the full suit (PTL, Autothrusters, Stealth Device).

Is Ion Cannon worth it on just one ship? I've only used it once, so I probably just need to learn how to use it better. Regarding Mangler, I hadn't looked into Mangler before. Is it good even though the Defender already has 3 attack? I haven't tried running Soontir yet, maybe it's time I have.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Nete

Is Ion Cannon worth it on just one ship? I've only used it once, so I probably just need to learn how to use it better. Regarding Mangler, I hadn't looked into Mangler before. Is it good even though the Defender already has 3 attack? I haven't tried running Soontir yet, maybe it's time I have.

The Ion is worth, just not as reliable as spamming it by obvious reasons, and much less useful against large ships as you need two successful turns to ionize it. But to add some control against small ships, yep, is nice. Especially for your arc dodgers (hello Turr and maybe Soontir). You just don't need to use it each turn.

Thing on the Mangler, besides the free crit, is the "ignore range bonus" of all the secondary weapons. That basically means is better than your primary attack at range 3, as the defender won't have the extra dice, and is something that can be exploited. Although checking the expansions you list, I didn't realize you may don't have it :p

And Soontir is *the* Interceptor pilot. Turr is nice, Carnor is as hilarious as great, but Soontir is on another level.

I tried Push the Limit with Turr my last game, and it didn't seem to be too applicable since I can only really pick "Evade" or "Barrel/Boost" as my Push the Limit action, no? Though I guess if I gave up Autothrusters or Stealh Device for a Targeting Computer, that could help setup Colonel Vessery. Hmmm...

PTL can be used with anything from your Action Bar, so add Focus to that list. The "problem" with Turr, if you want to maximize PTL *and* his ability, you are forced to activate PTL with the free Boost/Barrel after he shoots instead on the regular Activation Phase action. But PTL Turr is one of the few pilots capable to do 3 actions in one turn, and that's always good.

That said, I prefer him with Veteran Instincts :p, although is a pilot I haven't used in a long, long time.

Toxi

Banned
Random question: What's your favorite ship from each faction?

For me

• Rebel: X-Wing (Cliche answer, but the design's a classic and Biggs has turned out to be a total bro)
  • Imperial: TIE Interceptor (After playing against these things in several games, they're incredibly fun as hell to try and predict)
  • Scum: Hound's Tooth (Big-ass cool-looking ship)

Tensketch

Rebel: YT-2400 - It's just a punchy as hell ship, especially with outrider
Imperial: Interceptor - I got my first ever win with a pre-autothrusters Soontir Fel build. I've always loved that ship
Scum: Firespray - Read my UNTOUCHABLE BOBA FETT post a few pages back.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Rebel: A-Wings, love the design and the sheer maneuverability.
Empire: Interceptors, frail as they are, have a lot of fun extras for higher point cards.
Scum: The new Kyratsalatawhatever Fighter, with Talonbane Cobra. Hugely powerful that only needs to survive to get it's massive attack turn. I also love the headhunters, quite a fun ship in the Scum faction, way moreso than Rebel.

Nete

Rebel: A-wing. Both X and especially B-wings have an amazing design, but none is as fun to play as the little A.
Imperial: TIE Interceptor. Best looking ship from Star Wars, a blast to use while it's also a challenge, and some exceptional and really interesting pilots.
Scum: Firespray. Emon, an incredible unique look, Emon, Kath, Emon, unique shenanigans. Did I say Emon?

Rebel: B-wings. Unbelievably tanky for its price and able to unleash nightmarish levels of damage throughout its entire lifespan. It's dial is its weakness but its K 2 turn lets it stay in dog fights and this ship possesses the best pilot abilities in the game.

Imperial: Tie Phantom. Even with its nerf, still a bastard of a ship. Interesting and terrifying (for both you and the opponent) to fly in equal measures, but with a bit of practice it can be a truly devastating ship.

Scum: Firespray. Three great pilots, great stats and fantastic select of upgrade slots. Just a great reliable backbone for any Scum list. Although honestly, the best thing about the Firespray can be summed up in one detail, its auxiliary firing arc is a FIRING ARC. Up yours Autothrusters and go home Outmaneuver.

Slermy

The Ion is worth, just not as reliable as spamming it by obvious reasons, and much less useful against large ships as you need two successful turns to ionize it. But to add some control against small ships, yep, is nice. Especially for your arc dodgers (hello Turr and maybe Soontir). You just don't need to use it each turn.

Thing on the Mangler, besides the free crit, is the "ignore range bonus" of all the secondary weapons. That basically means is better than your primary attack at range 3, as the defender won't have the extra dice, and is something that can be exploited. Although checking the expansions you list, I didn't realize you may don't have it :p

And Soontir is *the* Interceptor pilot. Turr is nice, Carnor is as hilarious as great, but Soontir is on another level.

PTL can be used with anything from your Action Bar, so add Focus to that list. The "problem" with Turr, if you want to maximize PTL *and* his ability, you are forced to activate PTL with the free Boost/Barrel after he shoots instead on the regular Activation Phase action. But PTL Turr is one of the few pilots capable to do 3 actions in one turn, and that's always good.

That said, I prefer him with Veteran Instincts :p, although is a pilot I haven't used in a long, long time.

Thanks for the additional clarification. I would like to pick up the IG-2000 expansion at some point, and Manger would just further justify it. Also, sounds like I'll be using Soontir.

MrChom

Oooh, interesting question.

Rebel: B-Wing. Devastating firepower, very scalable, Useful from lowest value to highest. Addition of the barrel roll makes this about the most flexible ship rebels have.

Scum: Kath Scarlet's Firespray. Just a nightmare with an ion cannon, a gunner and a bomb of some sort. Relatively easy to fly too...

Imperial: Haven't really played Imperial, but theory wise? Probably the Defender.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Rebel: B-Wing. Its maneuver dial makes it such a good up-close knife fighter, especially when you're flying one of the named pilots who can take Push the Limit (my favorite is Ibtisam). A fun ship to fly that hits hard and can take the versatile System upgrades.

Empire: TIE Phantom, probably. I have some nostalgia for it from playing Rebel Assault 2 as a kid. Also, it throws dice, lots and lots of dice. And you can fit four of them in a 100-point squadron, much to the dismay of my opponents...

Scum: Y-Wing. Combined with the Unhinged Astromech, it's one of the best ships in the game considering its price, IMO. Throw in Twin Laser Turret or Ion Cannon Turret, possibly with the BTL-A4 title, and the Scum Y-Wing is a monster. (A close second is the Kihraxz — Talonbane is so effective and I want to try out a couple Black Sun Aces with Predator soon.)

Rebels: B-Wings are jousting kings in this game. They are super tanky and pack a punch, so if jousting is your style, B-Wings are a must due to the aforementioned reasons as well as a dial suited for great close range maneuverability options and a systems upgrade slot. But as of right now, I really love Poe in his T-70 X-Wing paired with PTL, BB8, and Autothrusters. He basically turns into a pseudo pre-nerf Phantom.

Imperial: Phantoms are probably the most fun to fly, but I'm really starting to warm up to the TIE Advanced using Advanced Targeting Computers. They hit hard, and the longer they stay alive, the more dangerous they become as your enemy shields dwindle and crits start more easily getting through by using pilots with good action economy combined with Emperor Palpatine, which makes dishing out even more crits that much easier and consistent.

Scum: Right now, I'm really digging Talonbane Cobra. He's a beast with Glitterstim. My favorite is running him with Outmaneuver, Glitterstim, and Engine Upgrade. I have a feeling that Guri with the Cloaking Device coming out in Wave 8 will be my favorite, though, since StarVipers are really fun to fly. I still need to experiment with Scum Boba and Glitterstim, as I hear that's a really potent combo.

Tensketch

2016 Store championship has been announced.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/2/2016-x-wing-store-championships/

The Prize List:
  • Champion: The winner receives a Store Championship plaque and a card granting one first-round bye at a Regional Championship of the player’s choice.
  • Top Four: The top four players each receive one challenge coin (plus one for the judge/TO).
  • Top Eight: The top eight players each receive one acrylic range ruler (plus one for the judge/TO).
  • Top Thirty-Two: The top thirty-two players each receive one C-3PO alternate art card (plus one for the judge/TO). (not pictured)

THAT PARTICIPATION PRIZE!
I bet the picture is 3PO with his red arm

I have to update my client, but if anyone is down to play some Vassal this week let me know. I'm trying to practice for a store tourney that I might attend this weekend.

Toxi

Banned
2016 Store championship has been announced.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/2/2016-x-wing-store-championships/

The Prize List:
  • Champion: The winner receives a Store Championship plaque and a card granting one first-round bye at a Regional Championship of the player’s choice.
  • Top Four: The top four players each receive one challenge coin (plus one for the judge/TO).
  • Top Eight: The top eight players each receive one acrylic range ruler (plus one for the judge/TO).
  • Top Thirty-Two: The top thirty-two players each receive one C-3PO alternate art card (plus one for the judge/TO). (not pictured)

THAT PARTICIPATION PRIZE!
I bet the picture is 3PO with his red arm
Oh my God that's a nice prize. No need to buy the Tantive IV to get C-3PO.

Nete

I have to update my client, but if anyone is down to play some Vassal this week let me know. I'm trying to practice for a store tourney that I might attend this weekend.

Knowing a day/hour in advance I guess I could, but there has been *a lot* of activity on Vassal latelly , so it shouldn't be hard to find a rival at almost any hour.

Oh my God that's a nice prize. No need to buy the Tantive IV to get C-3PO.

Now we just need an alternate Palpatine on the next set :p

PBalfredo

Oof. I played against a Bossk that ran with Calculation, Mangler Cannon, Recon Specialitst and Outlaw Tech. It resulted in a ship that can pull crits out of thin air and then turn those crits into double hits. Nasty.

Lately I've been running with:

Soontir Fel (27)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)

Kir Kanos (24)
Royal Guard TIE
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)

"Whisper" (32)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

However, Kir Kanos hasn't been pulling his weight lately, so I want to replace him with something. Preferably something that will allow me to spare a point to put Veteran Instincts on Whisper.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oof. I played against a Bossk that ran with Calculation, Mangler Cannon, Recon Specialitst and Outlaw Tech. It resulted in a ship that can pull crits out of thin air and then turn those crits into double hits. Nasty.

Lately I've been running with:

Soontir Fel (27)
Royal Guard TIE (0)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)

Kir Kanos (24)
Royal Guard TIE
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)

"Whisper" (32)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

However, Kir Kanos hasn't been pulling his weight lately, so I want to replace him with something. Preferably something that will allow me to spare a point to put Veteran Instincts on Whisper.

Royal Guard Pilot w/ Push the Limit and Autothrusters. Costs 27, leaving you two points to give Veteran Instincts to Whisper and make an initiative bid.

Alternatively, you could try Commander Alozen w/ Predator, TIE/x1 and Advanced Targeting Computer. Costs 29, though. I guess you could run Lone Wolf instead of Predator to save a point for putting VI onto Whisper.

Toxi

Banned
I hope you are using it with Daredevil.
But I thought Daredevil doesn't work because you have to execute a red maneuver... Oooooooooh. Turns out the card was issued errata.

So Tycho+Daredevil+Push the Limit+A-Wing Test Pilot+Experimental Interface=GOTTA GO FAST

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
But I thought Daredevil doesn't work because you have to execute a red maneuver... Oooooooooh. Turns out the card was issued errata.

So Tycho+Daredevil+Push the Limit+A-Wing Test Pilot+Experimental Interface=GOTTA GO FAST

don't forget your Chardaan Refit, of course

Toxi

Banned
don't forget your Chardaan Refit, of course
Of course.

I just picked up an E-Wing. At first I hated the ship because it just looked like a smushed X-Wing from above, but a side angle is much more flattering.

Might give Corran Horn a try, his ability is absolutely vicious.

I might be going to an X-Wing store tournament this weekend and I've been going back and forth in my head between which of two similar lists to bring. Lately I've been playing around with a Vader, Maarek Stele, Palp Shuttle build that has been really fun and effective when playing against my friends. Being able to use Palp as defensive insurance or to push extra crits through alongside two Advanced Targeting Computers is extremely nasty stuff, as well as pairing the Advanced Homing Missile on Maarek for an early (hopefully) crippling crit against a heavily shielded target:

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...;19:18,141:23:17:U.124;56:-1,-1,132,-1:-1:-1:

However, I can't deny Soontir Fel's obvious effectiveness and he fits right into this build as a replacement for Marek - the downside being that there's even less margin for error with an Interceptor and I miss out on the consistent guaranteed crits being added to my rolls that can tear things up pretty easily when focused fired with Vader and Palp's ability. Palpatine also pairs amazingly well as a Stealth Device support for Soontir, but of course the main benefit of switching to Soontir is having another very high pilot skilled arc dodger. I could even drop Veteran Instincts from Vader to give the build 98 points to better guarantee gaining initiative bid so Fel and Vader can move last (unless against Han or Whisper), which was the reason I threw VI on Vader in the first place, but if it benefits Soontir more to have 98 points I think it may be worth the trade:

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...3:U.124;28:18:5:15:M.1;56:-1,-1,132,-1:-1:-1:

If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions on which you think is better (as well as if running VI on Vader/Fel build is better or worse than going with 98 points), also keeping in mind that I'll likely be up against a lot of 4x Thug TLT lists (Autothrusters would come in handy there for sure, but more crits are also good at taking Y-Wings out faster), I'd love to hear it.

Nete

VI on Vader is overkilling as fuck, not needed at all unless you are certain you will face several Whispers and Hans... something unlikely nowadays. If you want to keep the 99 point bid (I'm not sure if on the current meta the 98 bid is worth) I would go with a more useful although situational talent, like Crackshot, Adrenaline Rush or even Determination.

Keep in mind, tho, that a Vader without Predator or Lone Wolf is much less Vader. Actually, on the Maarek list I would drop the Homing Missiles and give Predator to Darth (and Tactical Jammer on the Lambda for the lulz). On the long run it would be *much* better.

I would go with the Maarek list, but I'm a bit biased here :p. Both are pretty good lists.

VI on Vader is overkilling as fuck, not needed at all unless you are certain you will face several Whispers and Hans... something unlikely nowadays. If you want to keep the 99 point bid (I'm not sure if on the current meta the 98 bid is worth) I would go with a more useful although situational talent, like Crackshot, Adrenaline Rush or even Determination.

Keep in mind, tho, that a Vader without Predator or Lone Wolf is much less Vader. Actually, on the Maarek list I would drop the Homing Missiles and give Predator to Darth (and Tactical Jammer on the Lambda for the lulz). On the long run it would be *much* better.

I would go with the Maarek list, but I'm a bit biased here :p. Both are pretty good lists.

Honestly the main reason I put VI on Vader is in case I end up facing another Vader list, lol. Him moving last is really important to me. And honestly I feel like Vader is good even with an Empty EPT slot as long as he has an Engine Upgrade and ATC, although obviously Predator or Lone Wolf would be preferable.

Edit: Adrenaline Rush sounds pretty awesome though...I feel almost always it's a bad idea to K-Turn with Vader since I'm unable to use his double action pilot ability. Having a burn card to pull off a K-Turn and two actions sounds pretty clutch.

Nete

I actually use a lot the K-turns on Vader (and Trollzet with FCS, for what it's worth) on the regular Predator build. Having the extra crit from ATC makes the no-action thing not so bad, and it's kinda unexpected on this pilot (as it usually is on Whisper and Soontir), so you can make some really clutch moves with it.

I actually use a lot the K-turns on Vader (and Trollzet with FCS, for what it's worth) on the regular Predator build. Having the extra crit from ATC makes the no-action thing not so bad, and it's kinda unexpected on this pilot (as it usually is on Whisper and Soontir), so you can make some really clutch moves with it.

For sure if you had a target lock on the ship you were about to tail, I would see that being completely fine. Even moreso if you were running Predator. I do really like the Advanced Homing Missile since it just works so well with Maarek, but I think you're probably right about switching it out for Predator. Tactical Jammer for the Lulz might be good too, although I'm not entirely against keeping the build at 98 points to keep Vader moving last against other Soontir and Vader lists.

Tensketch

Ackbar helped make the B wing, he's in this pack, wouldn't be surprised if it was an evolution of it. Though some say that the B wing is based off a bomber that was part of the original design sketches of the B wing.

So I ended up going to my local store tournament earlier today (it's 5 AM right now, so actually yesterday at the time of this post) and to my surprise I placed 3rd out of 21 participants with 4 wins and 1 loss (it came down to margin of victory/points to decide final placements), which I'm pretty happy about. I decided on running the following list:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...4;19:18,-1:23:17:U.124;56:-1,-1,132,-1:-1:-1:

Going in with 98 points ended up really paying off since two of the five opponents I went up against also had 98 point lists. Luckily, in both instances I won initiative bid (I gave them initiative so that my Vader would be able to move last). I was really worried about going up against at least one 4x Twin Laser Turret Y-Wing squad, but surprisingly no one ran that list. We all joked about how no one wanted to be "that guy."

Game 1:
-Han Solo (Squad Leader, Chewbacca, Gunner, Millennium Falcon)
-Poe Dameron (Push the Limit, R2-D2, Autothrusters, Weapons Guidance)
*100 Points*

My first game went really well for me. From the start, I committed pretty heavily to focusing down Han as soon as possible. My opponent was relatively new to the game, which made me feel guilty about my dice being insanely hot in this match. I also felt like I was wasting all of my luck against a player who was inexperienced, haha. I ended up taking out all 100 points here and losing no ships.

Result: Win (100 points destroyed, 14 points lost)

Game 2:
-Whisper (Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device)
-Vader (Engine Upgrade, TIE/x1, Advanced Targeting Computer)
-Omicron Group Pilot (Emperor Palpatine)
*100 points*

As scary as it was to give Whisper initiative, I wanted my Vader to be able to move after his Vader and Whisper, so I gave it up for that reason. This game was really difficult and ended up being very, very close. Both of us having Palpatine created an interesting dynamic each round. He opened strong and very quickly brought Maarek Stele down to 1 Hull while I was setting up my approach to try to catch a good position. I managed to take out Whisper's shields after plinking through her turtled tokens and 4 green die. Then by some miracle, I caught a break the following round when my hero Shuttle got two hits through to finish her off. I knew I was back in the game but with Maarek so close to death, he could still come back, so I decided to use my 1 Hull Maarek to bait his Vader into a chase and set up my Vader to follow after his pursuit. At this point, both of our shuttles were effectively out of range to be of any consequence other than providing Palpatine support.

With Palpatine in constant play and Maarek turtling a focus and evade each round, he survived FAR longer than I expected, giving my Vader the time he needed to plink away at his Vader's HP until I was able to destroy him right after he finally took out Maarek. After match time came to an end his Shuttle remained, as did mine along with my Vader, but since he managed to get Maarek and half of my Shuttle's Health down it lessened the margin of victory.

Result: Win (71 points destroyed, 46 points lost)

Game 3:
-Jake Farrel (Push the Limit, A-Wing Test Pilot, Veteran Instincts, Autothrusters, Chardaan Refit)
-Keyan Farlander (Opportunist, Mangler Cannon)
-Jan Ors (Wired, Twin Laser Turret, Nien Numb)
*98 Points*

This was the first game where I had to deal with another 98 point list, so we had to resolve an important initiative roll to determine if Jake or Vader would move last. Lucky for me, I ended up guessing the roll correctly and gave him initiative so my Vader would be able to react accordingly. From the get go I decided to take down Jan Ors as quickly as possible, and I succeeded in taking her out after about turn 3.

From there, I ended up catching Keyan in a precarious position due to my Shuttle scoring a clutch block. This kept Vader behind him in range 1 for two turns in a row, blowing him up shortly after. Meanwhile, a damaged Maarek Stele got the hell out of dodge to prepare a final box in on Jake with Vader. Since my Shuttle was damaged and the match time was running short, Jake committed to trying to get half scoring on my Shuttle, which he ended up succeeding in just before I took Jake down.

Result: Win (100 points destroyed, 14 points lost)

Game 4:
-Chewbacca (Predator, C-3P0, Lando, Millenium Falcon, Experimental Interface)
-Blue Squadron Pilot
-Blue Squadron Pilot
*99 Points*

This build was obviously a nightmare to go up against, and since we were both undefeated at this point, I knew shit was about to get real. I wasn't quite sure if it made more sense for me to focus down his B-Wings first to try to get rid of some red dice as quickly as possible or to commit to Chewbacca to try to deal with C-3P0 while I still had all my ships alive, but I decided on the latter and went for Chewbacca the entire game. After placing my Shuttle in the left corner, he set up all three ships straight across from it in formation with his B-Wings leading the charge. I set up the asteroids in such a way that the entire left side of the board was clustered with obstacles, so instead of clashing into him head on in the cleared lane and surely losing the joust against that kind of firepower, I hard turned right off the bat and had him chase me through the asteroid field, breaking his formation. Meanwhile, I had Vader and Maarek start positioning a flanking maneuver.

He actually got a little upset at me at turn 3, muttering something like "Are we going to actually attack in this game or what?" after I committed to re-positioning on the other side of the asteroids, which I found slightly amusing. It ended up being close for a while with me almost taking out Chewbacca, but his damn pilot ability prevented Maarek's pilot ability from doing anything, which especially sucked because he was consistently getting critical hits through. His Lando combined with C-3P0 and Millennium Falcon title made getting enough damage through completely futile. In the end, Chewie had about 2 Hull left and I lost with Vader still alive.

This guy ended up placing first place, so I felt pretty satisfied about my only loss of the day being up against the player who went undefeated. Plus it wasn't a complete blowout for me after halfing his Falcon and keeping Vader alive.

Result: Loss (27 points destroyed, 61 points lost)

Game 5:
-Commander Kenkirk (Push the Limit, Emperor Palpatine, Ysanne Isard, Engine Upgrade)
-Soontier Fel (Push the Limit, Autothrusters, Royal Guard TIE, Stealth Device)
*98 Points*

Yet another 98 point build which justified my decision of going with a 98 point list myself and I again lucked out and won the initiative bid roll.

I completely botched my approach in this match and it was demoralizing to say the least. I tried to stay positive since my ships were still in okay shape and I knew it was still early in the game, so I just told myself that I could still turn it around. Of course, this is easier said than done after playing 4 consecutive games and not having eaten or even sitting down in 5 hours, but I did my best to stay focused.

Since it was going to be an exercise in futility trying to get Soontir into arc, let alone getting shots through his Autothrusters, Stealth Device, and turtled tokens, I decided to put my glorious Advanced Targeting Computers and Palpatine to work up against Kenkirk for some guaranteed hits. Shortly after my crappy opening, I was able to draw Soontir away with my damaged shuttle which he committed to finishing off. This took a couple of turns which bought me time to effectively set up a tail on his Decimator with Vader and Maarek. Finally Maarek's ability was put to some great use here, when in a key moment I was able to select the Blinded Pilot crit, denying him a range 1 attack that round. At one point Kenkirk was literally stacked with three actionable crit effects, but him being able to Push the Limit off of Ysanne Isard gave him some great action economy. Once again, us both having Palpatine at our disposal was interesting, but after his Decimator and my Shuttle went down we both had to live without him.

After I finally took down Kenkirk, it was a race against the match timer for me to try to finish his Soontir off while trying to keep my damaged Vader alive. In the end, the time ran out and I was left with a destroyed Shuttle, but since all he had left was Soontir Fel I ended up winning. It was a close and stressful match, and had the game played out longer it's possible that his Fel may have been able to get a good shot on my Vader before I was able to chew through his Stealth Device, leaving a 7 pilot skill Maarek to likely never stand a chance against Fel, but it could have gone either way.

Result: Win (63 points destroyed, 29 points lost)

TL;DR - TIE Advanced (Especially Vader) with Advanced Targeting Computer paired with Palpatine is fun and quite effective when flown right.
Fuck fat Falcon builds.

Nete

I love those 5 swiss round tournaments you people have out there. Usually we only have 3 games, and sometimes 3+top4.

On Game 4 you took the correct approach in my opinion. Chewie (and especially THAT Chewie) can be a pain in the ass to bring down, so you need to focus on him while you still have enough ships to do real damage on it. Of course, if in one turn you can gangbang a B-wing with all three ships (or a couple on range 1), that's an opportunity shot you must take.

Btw, this:

He actually got a little upset at me at turn 3, muttering something like "Are we going to actually attack in this game or what?" after I committed to re-positioning on the other side of the asteroids, which I found slightly amusing.

Is as hilarious as infuriating. How you dare to don't stay in front of his arcs or keep jousting his B-wings.

It reminds me of a "pro" guy I played in a recent team tournament, who was using a Fat Chiraneau and Soontir. I used my "Whisper bait move" to bring down his Soontir on turn 2, and during the next planning phase he pulled out his phone with a "I'm going to chrono how long it takes you on placing the dials. It's alright you have killed Soontir that fast, but stop wasting all that time" (plot twist: I didn't, and his Chiraneau had PS10). The face of some of the neighbour players who heard it (and I guess mine too) was priceless. All that rage.

Slermy

New Force Awakens ship spoiled in the LEGO community thread

That's certainly... something.

Regarding the Force Awakens ships, I wonder if they'd do a hybrid faction "Aces" pack. I mean, we've seen the
Special Forces TIE/fo
and surely they'll release
Poe's Orange & Black X-Wing
at some point.

Along the lines of upcoming ships, I'm really curious as to what new pilots we'll get with the Imperial Assault Carrier. I'm more interested in new TIE options (and color scheme) than this large ship itself.

The TIE Defender is another ship that would benefit from additional pilots, but I don't know how they'd release them. Fantasy Flight tends to not release new ship pilots without an accompanying new paint scheme correct? Would we get a classic "grey"? A "Royal Red"?

Back to current ships, what are the thoughts on the TIE Punisher? I'm not really fond of the design, but I was thinking a Redline & Colonel Vessery combo would be pretty mean.

Nete

Back to current ships, what are the thoughts on the TIE Punisher? I'm not really fond of the design, but I was thinking a Redline & Colonel Vessery combo would be pretty mean.

Redline and Deathrain are *really* good specialists on missiles and bombs, although the ship itself is pretty fragile. The generic pilots are just not worth, being both generic TIE Bombers or TIE Advanceds a much better alternative depending on how did you wanted to load them.

And yes, it has an awful design.

Top Bottom