• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

MrChom

I've never been into playing Xwing epic scale. I guess I value the breeze quick nature of the game so much and when epic forces you to take 15 minutes to do dials and another 20 to move your ships it just too slow for my liking. It feels like a completely different game. That said, I do appreciate how awesome massive rucks are in theory and love reading reports and stuff.

We enforced a 5 minute timer on each phase in one of the games I played. We didn't cut anything off, but at 5 minutes we knew we really had to up the pace. Then again in the late game of the one I played in it didn't matter too much as I lost ships very early and ended up piloting only the Corvette into the jaws of doom while the other 2 players on my side had decent forces left.

I will say the Raider is one mean bastard if a fighter gets in in optimum range where the Corvette is basically a sniper and wants you literally on the edge of range 5.

Tensketch

I'm double posting but I don't care.

So it's been a year since I started playing. Found that out the other day. Been a good year playing this game.

Also, The Force Awakens Core Set is now shipping!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm double posting but I don't care.

So it's been a year since I started playing. Found that out the other day. Been a good year playing this game.

Also, The Force Awakens Core Set is now shipping!

It's great. I love it. I can't wait for more.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
T-70 and TIE/FO expansion packs announced ... they've been added to Wave 8: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/10/fight-a-bigger-battle/

wave8-updated.png

swx37-layout.png

swx38-layout.png

cool-hand.png
integrated-astromech.png
comm-relay.png
juke.png

red-ace.png
omega-leader.png

Kinda dissapointing that the FO Tie's didn't include the antenna detail by the cockpit. It's included on the art of the cards and from what we have seen are supposed to be on all the new tie fighters, but they left it off the model.

Tensketch

So, what do we all think of Integrated Astromech?

It's a free mini chewbacca for X-Wings.

I think Biggs is makin' a comeback!

Effectively, at its cheapest, it is a 1 point hull upgrade (well, even better cos it can cancel a crit). I can't see it making normal Xwings viable again in the grand meta but I do think it will certainly strengthen them and make it so taking an astromech (even just for the sacrifice potential) becomes pretty much the default stance for them.

It is only a shame that scum don't get a similar upgrade with their salvaged astros. That could give you a 0 point hull upgrade with 'Genius' being the sacrifice.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I forgot about the astromech that adds a pilot skill, so having an expendable one like lightning reflexes or crack shot is gonna be really cool on the X-Wings. I think it's a neat fix. Honestly I'm surprised at some of the people in the official forums angry at the idea that this is the fix...I mean, it's a zero point upgrade. Hard to be mad at that!

Tensketch

What is the official ruling on if you discard R2D6? Do you lose access to the elite skill that was mounted into him?

depends, if you get the 'discard a secondary weapon' crit on a Y-Wing with bomb loadout, does it lose the bomb?

Whatever the answer to that question is, will be the answer to this one.

EDIT: I AM A LIAR BOMB LOADOUT IS NOT A SECONDARY WEAPON SO THIS ISN'T EVEN VALID.

I think it's a neat fix. Honestly I'm surprised at some of the people in the official forums angry at the idea that this is the fix...I mean, it's a zero point upgrade. Hard to be mad at that!

I don't hate it (at least it's zero points) but it doesn't feel to me like it's going to make a huge impact on T-65 X-Wings being used that much more. I hope they release an aces pack at some point that does something else for them too.

Speaking of X-Wings, last night I tried Poe's T-70 X-Wing with BB-8, Push the Limit, and Autothrusters...he's basically a pre-nerf pseudo Phantom. So fucking good!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I forgot about the astromech that adds a pilot skill, so having an expendable one like lightning reflexes or crack shot is gonna be really cool on the X-Wings. I think it's a neat fix. Honestly I'm surprised at some of the people in the official forums angry at the idea that this is the fix...I mean, it's a zero point upgrade. Hard to be mad at that!

It's kind of a sucky fix for X-Wings because it only fixes one of the two problems X-Wings have that makes them worse choices than the similarly priced B-Wing. Those problems are:
  • Kinda squishy (five hit points with two agility is worse than eight hit points with one agility)
  • No repositioning ability (like the B-Wing's Barrel Roll)
So Integrated Astromech essentially gives the X-Wing a Shield Upgrade — an extra hit point that can block an incoming critical hit. It does so for free, ignoring the cost of the requisite Astromech that must be discarded to use IA. But it has a pretty large opportunity cost. IA is a modification, so you can't take any other modifications — critically, that means no Engine Upgrade, which is an upgrade that fixes the X-Wing's lack of repositioning. Also, to use IA's damage-blocking ability, you have to discard your Astromech. This isn't as big of a deal because presumably you just prevented yourself from dying by using IA, and had you died, you would have lost your Astromech anyway (along with the rest of your ship). But the B-Wing already has eight hit points and it doesn't need to discard any of its upgrades to make use of them. Oh, and maybe the Astromech you discarded was R7-T1, an upgrade that fixes the X-Wing's lack of repositioning.

So it kinda sucks. It's a nice option, but it doesn't totally fix the X-Wing.

What is the official ruling on if you discard R2D6? Do you lose access to the elite skill that was mounted into him?

I believe you would lose your Elite Pilot Talent. The rules for Epic ships say that when one half of the Tantive or Raider blows up, if you no longer have enough upgrade slots for the upgrades on your ship, you lose those upgrades. So that would be a precedent for your attached upgrade cards being lost (for some reason other than paying a cost) when the game state changes.

Slermy

Hello everyone!

I recently received this game as a gift and have been having fun with it. I really love all of the Extended Universe stuff that's available. I quickly picked up a TIE Defender as that's my favorite TIE design next to the Interceptor and is rarely seen.

I saw that they've announced The Force Awakens stand alone ships, as well as stand alone expansions. I'm not wild about the new TIE colors, but do like the new T70 X-Wing. What are the chances that they'll release a separate Damage Deck & rules for those that want to upgrade but don't want to buy the new core set? I guess I could always get the new core set and then sell off the two TIEs. I could use more die anyway.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Hello everyone!

I recently received this game as a gift and have been having fun with it. I really love all of the Extended Universe stuff that's available. I quickly picked up a TIE Defender as that's my favorite TIE design next to the Interceptor and is rarely seen.

I saw that they've announced The Force Awakens stand alone ships, as well as stand alone expansions. I'm not wild about the new TIE colors, but do like the new T70 X-Wing. What are the chances that they'll release a separate Damage Deck & rules for those that want to upgrade but don't want to buy the new core set? I guess I could always get the new core set and then sell off the two TIEs. I could use more die anyway.

Zero chance. It's not the way Fantasy Flight Games operates, it seems. May as well just buy the Force Awakens Core Set — as you say, the extra dice are super helpful, and having the updated rulebooks and new damage deck is good, too. You definitely could sell the two TIEs if you really can't stand having them in your collection.

Welcome to the game, by the way! My condolences to your wallet.

Toxi

Banned
Welp, just dropped 80 bucks on this.

Really impressed by the quality of these miniatures... Well, outside of one of my X-wings that looks like it came from a Salvador Dali painting. But outside that specific droopy X-wing, they look great.

Nete

Welp, just dropped 80 bucks on this.

Really impressed by the quality of these miniatures... Well, outside of one of my X-wings that looks like it came from a Salvador Dali painting. But outside that specific droopy X-wing, they look great.

The painting varies a lot on each individual case. Sometimes looks kinda sloppy, but in general is pretty good for prepainted miniatures.

You can always repaint them :p

Slermy

Zero chance. It's not the way Fantasy Flight Games operates, it seems. May as well just buy the Force Awakens Core Set — as you say, the extra dice are super helpful, and having the updated rulebooks and new damage deck is good, too. You definitely could sell the two TIEs if you really can't stand having them in your collection.

Welcome to the game, by the way! My condolences to your wallet.

Ah, well that'st good to know.

Yes, my wallet is already hurting. I've only had the game two weeks and have already picked up:

TIE Defender
Z-95 Headhunter
StarViper
Imperial Aces Pack
$20 worth of loose cards from expansions that I don't intend to pick up

And a tackle box to thow this stuff in.

I'm still browsing at stuff. I have no control.

Blank!

So I'm thinking about delving into this, and it seems like the common line is "get 2 core sets" would it make sense to get 1 of each of the core sets (that is, the FIRST set and the new Force Awakens set) as my first 2 sets? Or is there a reason/need to double up on one or the other? Thanks!

Tensketch

So I'm thinking about delving into this, and it seems like the common line is "get 2 core sets" would it make sense to get 1 of each of the core sets (that is, the FIRST set and the new Force Awakens set) as my first 2 sets? Or is there a reason/need to double up on one or the other? Thanks!

Depends really, TIE fighters are made to be swarmed up, it's an amazing way of getting extra TIEs to fly swarm.

I'd say go for one of each to start, then see how you feel.

(pro tip, don't skip out on the single expansions of the X-Wing and TIE, even though you already own one, the pilots and cards in each set are amazing)

Blank!

Depends really, TIE fighters are made to be swarmed up, it's an amazing way of getting extra TIEs to fly swarm.

I'd say go for one of each to start, then see how you feel.

(pro tip, don't skip out on the single expansions of the X-Wing and TIE, even though you already own one, the pilots and cards in each set are amazing)

if we end up really liking it and go deep, we usually go by expansion order unless one really sticks out above the rest. Legendary we did in order of expansions but dominion we skipped a few sets and then backtracked to the others. Will see how it plays out!

I played a list using 3x Kihraxz Fighters with Glitterstim and Outmaneuver. Setting up an alpha strike round using Glitterstim and Talonbane Cobra is extremely effective and satisfying. It seems like a really great way to get an early game advantage if you can pull it off.

Getting the new base set doesn't seem worth it. Is anyone picking it up?

I got two since I wanted two damage decks and extra EP 7 ships. I think one is DEFINITELY worth it at least, due to how good Poe and the BB-8 astromech upgrade is. If you like to fly TIE swarms with Howlrunner, the new Epsilon Leader pilot would go really well with that kind of squad as well. Wired is also an interesting new Elite Pilot Skill that I'm sure will find its way to some lists.

With the individual T-70 and TIE/FO Expansions announced, getting two of the new core sets makes less sense if you were planning on doing it for the extra ships since I doubt you'd ever fly more than two T-70's, but if you like the new TIEs then it might be worth it for the 2 extra ones you'd get plus the second new damage deck to be able to play with a buddy who doesn't have his or her own new deck.

Experien

I got two since I wanted two damage decks and extra EP 7 ships. I think one is DEFINITELY worth it at least, due to how good Poe and the BB-8 astromech upgrade is. If you like to fly TIE swarms with Howlrunner, the new Epsilon Leader pilot would go really well with that kind of squad as well. Wired is also an interesting new Elite Pilot Skill that I'm sure will find its way to some lists.

With the individual T-70 and TIE/FO Expansions announced, getting two of the new core sets makes less sense if you were planning on doing it for the extra ships since I doubt you'd ever fly more than two T-70's, but if you like the new TIEs then it might be worth it for the 2 extra ones you'd get plus the second new damage deck to be able to play with a buddy who doesn't have his or her own new deck.

Two extra damage decks...wait, is everyone supposed to have their own damage deck? Have I been playing the game "wrong" all this time?

Two extra damage decks...wait, is everyone supposed to have their own damage deck? Have I been playing the game "wrong" all this time?

Technically, in the tournament play, each player has his/her own damage deck which only they draw from. In casual play though I don't believe anyone will fault you for sharing a deck. Most games I've played me and my partner just share a deck. 99% of the time it won't become an issue unless both players are rocking the double Decimator builds.

Experien

Technically, in the tournament play, each player has his/her own damage deck which only they draw from. In casual play though I don't believe anyone will fault you for sharing a deck. Most games I've played me and my partner just share a deck. 99% of the time it won't become an issue unless both players are rocking the double Decimator builds.

Tournament play you have a deck each. Casual you can split a deck

Wow, felt like I missed that. But yeah, I'm pretty bad, I just like playing so no biggie. Though we just have one deck stacked in the middle and share it. Not supposed to do that either, huh?

Tensketch

As long as you're not mixing damage decks, you are fine. It's not a big deal. You only need to have 1 each when you play tourney games. It's just when you start building 100pt lists, you can sometimes run out of cards

As long as you're not mixing damage decks, you are fine. It's not a big deal. You only need to have 1 each when you play tourney games. It's just when you start building 100pt lists, you can sometimes run out of cards

The main reason you ideally would not share a deck is so that each player has equal opportunity to draw certain crits. For example, if my opponent gets unlucky and draws 2 direct hit cards in a row as the first 2 damage cards getting delt out of the deck, that just drastically reduced the chances of me needing to worry about ever drawing a Direct Hit if I get critted if we are sharing the same deck.

If we each have our own pool of crits to draw from, that isn't an issue. But yeah, like you said it really isn't that big of a deal in casual play.

Blank!

Since i'm getting 1 of the old core and 1 of the new core set, my plan was to make 2 "equal" damage decks out of both the old and new so that each player has the exact same damage deck.

Experien

The main reason you ideally would not share a deck is so that each player has equal opportunity to draw certain crits. For example, if my opponent gets unlucky and draws 2 direct hit cards in a row as the first 2 damage cards getting delt out of the deck, that just drastically reduced the chances of me needing to worry about ever drawing a Direct Hit if I get critted if we are sharing the same deck.

If we each have our own pool of crits to draw from, that isn't an issue. But yeah, like you said it really isn't that big of a deal in casual play.

Guess you are right although I feel we barely go through cards and we do 100-150 battles.

Since i'm getting 1 of the old core and 1 of the new core set, my plan was to make 2 "equal" damage decks out of both the old and new so that each player has the exact same damage deck.

That's an interesting idea, although personally I would just have both players share the new damage deck. The old deck is fine pretty much all the time, but it still technically punishes certain builds more then others and it hasn't really kept up with the meta while the new deck is designed (at least in theory) to have equal chance to punish every type of ship equally. With the new deck being an option I don't see any need to use the old one too unless you are flat out running out of damage cards in an epic game or something.

Blank!

That's an interesting idea, although personally I would just have both players share the new damage deck. The old deck is fine pretty much all the time, but it still technically punishes certain builds more then others and it hasn't really kept up with the meta while the new deck is designed (at least in theory) to have equal chance to punish every type of ship equally. With the new deck being an option I don't see any need to use the old one too unless you are flat out running out of damage cards in an epic game or something.

The only reason why I disliked that idea is the possible scenario of 1 side drawing both/all copies of a particularly nasty damage effect (the re-draw a damage card seems nasty) and the other player drawing none. In a "balanced" world, both players would have equal access of drawing their 2 copies of that card but with only 1 of the new decks and using my way, each player has a chance of drawing their 1 copy.

We may end up going that route as we add more expansions, etc. but with just 2 cores to start with, I don't think the "non-meta" cards will affect us too much. If we get deep into this game, we'll likely just buy another new-core set to get that 2nd damage deck.

Yeah, Munitions Failure was the worst offender of the bunch (Immediately choose 1 of your secondary weapon Upgrade cards and discard it). While being just a normal 1 damage to a ship that has no secondary weapon equipped like a TIE Fighter or something, for a turreted ship like the Outrider, Y-Wing, and especially a HWK-290, drawing this crit could sometimes be a game ender.

Luckily they got rid of this crit effect in the new core set.

Yeah, Munitions Failure was the worst offender of the bunch (Immediately choose 1 of your secondary weapon Upgrade cards and discard it). While being just a normal 1 damage to a ship that has no secondary weapon equipped like a TIE Fighter or something, for a turreted ship like the Outrider, Y-Wing, and especially a HWK-290, drawing this crit could sometimes be a game ender.

Luckily they got rid of this crit effect in the new core set.

That can suck, but the real nightmare offender is Injured Pilot. That crit is useless against swarm lists but will turn your massively costed flagship into a flying toaster. I was in a game where the first point of crit damage I did to my enemies Chirpy Decimator was Injured Pilot and we might as well called it. I effectively shot nine points out of his list with that one crit.

That can suck, but the real nightmare offender is Injured Pilot. That crit is useless against swarm lists but will turn your massively costed flagship into a flying toaster. I was in a game where the first point of crit damage I did to my enemies Chirpy Decimator was Injured Pilot and we might as well called it. I effectively shot nine points out of his list with that one crit.

Heh, yeah you're right it doesn't get much worse than that. I am just bitter about Munitions Failure since one game I played where I had an Ion Cannon equipped Palob, the game was going great for me, then he drew that crit and literally became a paperweight. 1 Attack die in front arc with that dial? I think I forfeited next turn, haha.

Experien

Should've went home to see if I had space but I ordered new base, T.Punisher, and Kihraxis.

Real question, do I just toss my old damage decks?

Should've went home to see if I had space but I ordered new base, T.Punisher, and Kihraxis.

Real question, do I just toss my old damage decks?

I personally am keeping my old decks around just to have but don't really intend to ever use them again unless I'm hosting two simultaneous games at my place.

Top Bottom