• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Tensketch

I like the Punishers design. It makes sense as a heavy bomber.

My friend is gonna be running the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster campaign next week. He's been nagging me all weekend because he didn't know what card to buy for the components, he's got it all printed and has been sending me photos of them, it has me a little bit hype. Will report back on how it goes.

Toxi

Banned
That's certainly... something.

Regarding the Force Awakens ships, I wonder if they'd do a hybrid faction "Aces" pack. I mean, we've seen the
Special Forces TIE/fo
and surely they'll release
Poe's Orange & Black X-Wing
at some point.
Special Forces TIE
is a unique ship with two pilots, a rear-view mirror, a bottom-mounted turret, and different connections to the wings.

But yeah, they're gonna have to release
Poe's paint job.

Tensketch

They would be daft not to. I imagine the
Black Squadron X-Wing will be part of the overall X-Wing fix that we've all been waiting for
and that the
Special Forces TIE/FO
will be part of Wave 9 along with
and I'm calling it now, a new Falcon model with scum pilots, Resistance Finn, Rey and probably a new Han Solo
. Though I may have said that already.

Slermy

Special Forces TIE
is a unique ship with two pilots, a rear-view mirror, a bottom-mounted turret, and different connections to the wings.

Oh, interesting, I didn't realize it was that different. You and Tensketch are probably right, it'll be a new ship entirely.

They would be daft not to. I imagine the
Black Squadron X-Wing will be part of the overall X-Wing fix that we've all been waiting for
and that the
Special Forces TIE/FO
will be part of Wave 9 along with
and I'm calling it now, a new Falcon model with scum pilots, Resistance Finn, Rey and probably a new Han Solo
. Though I may have said that already.

I wasn't aware that the
X-Wing
was considered broken at this point.

My friend has a similar guess about the
Millennium Falcon
. I wonder how that would work though, would
Grizzled Han be a card for both Millennium Falcons? Will the "new" Falcon be a title upgrade that comes with the new model?
I'm definitely curious to see how they will handle this.

Changing topics, regarding squad building, which is generally better: Synergy, or more ships?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the X-wing is only broken in that it isn't used because it's underpowered due to a general power creep game wide since the core set.

Nete

The main problem on the X-wing it's called B-wing. Better stats (3 shields >> 1 green dice), better movility (barrel roll) and better upgrade options (systems, best slot in game) for just 1 extra point.

The new T-70 solves most of that, but the old T-65 still needs some extra love to be worth besides Biggs.

Changing topics, regarding squad building, which is generally better: Synergy, or more ships?

Is a matter of preference. Not long ago the swarm lists were forgotten due a certain lady on a cloaked ship, but nowadays both are equally good if you know what you are doing.

Slermy

Ah, I see. I wonder what kind of "fix" they'd do then.

I did notice power creep with the Force Awakens TIE/fo ships: Target Lock, Shields, AND a better dial for just three extra points?

Also, thanks for the advice Nete, you're always quick to respond to my inquiries.

So there is a 30 pt small ship free for all at a LGS next week.

What are some good rebel options?

I was thinking something with an astromech for R2's regen?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So there is a 30 pt small ship free for all at a LGS next week.

What are some good rebel options?

I was thinking something with an astromech for R2's regen?

Porkins + R2-D2. Sustainable as fuck and costs exactly 30 points.

[edit] More options ... Ibtisam + FCS ... Dutch + TLT + R2 Astro ... fuckin' Tycho + Chardaan + title + PtL + Expert Handling, or Tycho + Chardaan + title + PtL + VI + Autothrusters ... Kyle Katarn + Moldy Crow title + TLT

Tensketch

New winter kits have been announced

Alt art card for 1st n 2nd is Vader:
darthvader_web.jpg

top 16 get alt art Gunner:
swx-2015-s3-layout.png

Slermy

That's a pretty cool looking Vader card. I like the Imperial Aces poster too.

I thought the winter tournament pack was going to have some C-3PO variant or somesuch?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That's a pretty cool looking Vader card. I like the Imperial Aces poster too.

I thought the winter tournament pack was going to have some C-3PO variant or somesuch?

You're thinking of the Store Championships. The winter kit is for running league nights and random tournaments at stores for November through February. Store Championships are a little more prestigious, and the winner of each gets a first-round bye a Regional Championship.

Tensketch

problem with the seasonal kits is it's almost impossible to get them in the UK. My local store says getting anything out of Esdevium is like getting blood from a stone.

Slermy

Oh, okay.

So there's a chance a newbie like me could actually "earn" a gunner card by going to a local game store then?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh, okay.

So there's a chance a newbie like me could actually "earn" a gunner card by going to a local game store then?

Yeah. You should only need to show up to get a copy, unless the tournament somehow gets more than 16 entrants.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Mu0n is such a badass with all the work he's done on Vassal.

So I tried out the K-Wing for the first time last night. Did better than I thought it would! It flies like a dog but the dial is just good enough to do what it needs to do.

I tried out a new trick that worked pretty well: Twin Laser Turret with Gunner. Now you have to be careful because Gunner says that after you've decided to trigger and use Gunner, you can't attack anymore the rest of the round. In other words, if you Gunner after your first TLT attack, you don't get your second TLT attack. So unless you have a very good reason,* you should always wait until your second TLT attack to trigger Gunner (if you happen to miss with that second shot).

Also, you have to keep in mind that the Gunner shot is with your primary weapon, which means on the K-Wing that you drop from three red dice down to two, and if your opponent is at Range 3, he gets his extra green die. On the flip side, you could do two damage instead of one and they could be crits.

It paid off for me once! I whiffed my first TLT shot against a cloaked Whisper, then I whiffed my second TLT shot, then I Gunnered and rolled a crit and a hit. Whisper's green dice were all focuses and blanks (and he'd already used his focus) so he ate those two hits ... I had already put two damage on Whisper, so he went down to that Gunner shot. It was neat.

*If you absolutely MUST put two damage on an opponent because you know you're going to die before your next attack, and you just whiffed with your first TLT shot, you might want to fire your primary weapon with Gunner instead of TLTing a second time, just in case you DON'T whiff with your second TLT shot and only do one damage.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Ah, just in time for Christmas then. Do you think they'll detail the other TIE pilots before that happens?

They definitely will. Now that they've got the thing on a boat and have a better idea when it'll hit stores, they probably will start doing more preview articles of those pilots, the Gozanti itself, the campaign in the box, etc. over the next couple months.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Welp, this last week I learned I've been playing the game completely wrong this entire time. My friend and I didn't know you roll for damage if you go through an asteroid but don't land on it.

I didn't know...I didn't knowwwwwwwwwwww

My whole world is shattered.

PBalfredo

Welp, this last week I learned I've been playing the game completely wrong this entire time. My friend and I didn't know you roll for damage if you go through an asteroid but don't land on it.

One of the downsides of tabletop/miniatures games: the rules only apply if anyone playing remembers them.

Reminds me of how the balance of Space Hulk would fluctuate greatly each time I played it due to me and my buddy's tenuous grasp of the rule. The winner was usually whoever we though won ties on dice rolls that day.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

chubigans pls

What have you done

Tensketch

Haha it took me and my friends months to figure out how the asteroids worked fully.

In othernews, the coop campaign is really good. The AI is amazing, we got outflown so many times by cards! Of the 3 of us, I died and my rolls were ice cold. But I'm looking forward to playing more of it.

Nete

What a wonderful way to finish a game :p
Those were the last 2 surviving ships. Next turn I would have died without any doubt.

5jhtEvK.png

I've bitched a lot about the TIE/fo on this thread, but to be honest I've fallen in love with the generic ones. The segnor is amazeballs.

EDIT: Played the introductory mission of the campaign. It's really, really great. The AI is as surprising as weird. Sometimes can be a bit confusing to decide if one ship is approaching or not for the AI movement, and the barrel rolls while on formation feels wrong (as the formation can become a trainwreck after the first ship moves), but overall it does a great job.

Flew 2 X-wings (R2-Shield and Hull-BB8) and a TLT-R2 Y-wing. One X survived at 1 hull and the Y-wing crushed the TIEs. 12XP for the goddamn Y (4 and 7 the Xs), with one T/F alive at the end with 1 hull left.

Had to play alone, tho, as nobody around here is interested on it :(. Still lots of fun.

Tensketch

Had to play alone, tho, as nobody around here is interested on it :(. Still lots of fun.

That's the only issue I had with the game. My friends and I played it at our Friday Night X-Wing event that we run and other players would approach us throughout and ask if we were free because they wanted to play different people. The mission took 2 1/2 hours to set up and play which is pretty much half the night.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
OK, yep, they're going up for sale on various websites now:

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115012#.ViaDECvSh5w
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115013#.ViaDRivSh5w
http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=115011#.ViaDSCvSh5w

http://www.gtsdistribution.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=F086D003276B4908B813158F4819BF87
http://www.gtsdistribution.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=B549F25839194E51B6CD816F730F74E4
http://www.gtsdistribution.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=FC2E06682C18479D85DD060F57AC480D

FFG SWX 49 Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game: Rebel Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kit $9.95
FFG SWX 50 Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game: Imperial Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kit $9.95
FFG SWX 51 Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures Game: Scum and Villainy Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kit $9.95

Customize and enhance your maneuver dials as you declare your allegiance to the Rebel Alliance, the Galactic Empire, or the galaxy`s Scum and Villainy with three new Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kits for X-Wing! Each kit includes three stylized plastic protectors to house your ships` maneuver dials. In addition, you`ll find dial ID tokens with ship icons to easily identify which dials match your ships in the heat of battle. See your whole dial, choose your maneuvers quickly, and play with style with the Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kits.

• Make your maneuvers more confidently when you enhance your dials with a stylish plastic housing
  • New design allows you to see your ship's whole dial as you select its maneuver
  • Display the colors and symbols of your favorite X-Wing faction: the Rebel Alliance, the Galactic Empire, or the Scum and Villainy
  • Includes dial ID tokens for all ships up to The Force Awakens Core Set, allowing you to easily identify your ships in the midst of a dogfight
  • All Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kits are fully tournament legal

Release Date: JANUARY
Preorder Date: 01/27/2016

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
"Each kit includes three stylized plastic protectors to house your ships' maneuver dials."

I own 19 Rebel dials (I'd need seven three-packs), 24 Empire dials (I'd need eight three-packs) and 11 Scum dials (I'd need four three-packs). That's actually $190 worth. Geez. It adds up fast to the point that it's a crazy amount.

5taquitos

"Each kit includes three stylized plastic protectors to house your ships' maneuver dials."

I own 19 Rebel dials (I'd need seven three-packs), 24 Empire dials (I'd need eight three-packs) and 11 Scum dials (I'd need four three-packs). That's actually $190 worth. Geez. It adds up fast to the point that it's a crazy amount.

I think you'd only need as many dials as your largest list, right?

Slermy

Finally got my first real win the other night. Instead of constantly tweaking the list, I stuck with one I had played the night before. I was much better remembering special pilot abilities this time around. My list was as follows:

[Soontir Fel] (27)
-Push the Limit
-Royal Guard TIE
-Autothrusters
-Targeting Computer

[Colonel Vessery] (35)
-Expert Handling
-Twin Ion Engine Mk. II

[Academy Pilot] (12)
-Targeting Computer

[Academy Pilot] (12)
-Targeting Computer

Total: 100 pts.

Opponent ran a fat Han and Poe with Push the Limit.

The Defender and two TIEs jousted Han and unloaded on him with a vengeance whilst Soontir flanked. Target locks were everywhere. My opponent's Poe was quite maneuverable and ended up dancing with Soontir for most of the match as they tried to catch each other.

Regardless of the outcome, I love just playing the game because you have all of these cool looking ships are that are frozen in the heat of battle during the planning phase.

That being said, getting a win with my two favorite ships (Defender & Interceptor) was extremely satisfying.

Walshicus

Went on a bit of a spree in Waterstones today; picked up D&D starter kit (because the missus is convinced it'll turn out like in Community...) and the new Force Awakens starter kit for X-Wing. Any obvious purchases to make a balanced game for 2 players? I Prime'd a Defender and a B-Wing.

Also, does the Scum and Villainy pack add support for three players, or does it stay a 2 player game?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Went on a bit of a spree in Waterstones today; picked up D&D starter kit (because the missus is convinced it'll turn out like in Community...) and the new Force Awakens starter kit for X-Wing. Any obvious purchases to make a balanced game for 2 players? I Prime'd a Defender and a B-Wing.

Also, does the Scum and Villainy pack add support for three players, or does it stay a 2 player game?

Scum and Villainy is just a third faction option when building a squadron. The game doesn't officially support three players, but with the way the mechanics work, you could pretty easily do it yourself. You just might want to play on a slightly longer board to accommodate the third player who will set up ships on a side of the board that's between the other two players.

Most ships are competitively balanced so it's not easy to suggest things for both sides "to make a balanced game." Every expansion pack you buy increases your options, even for all factions, since upgrade cards usually aren't faction-specific unless stated on the card. So the copy of Advanced Sensors that you get with the Lambda Shuttle is useful on the B-Wing and on the StarViper, for example. Just buy what looks fun and interesting to you and you'll build up a collection full of options in no time.

Nete

The IG-2000 has a 3-player mission, but it's really simple. The best way I've found to play with three (or more) players is using teams and a bigger board: 2v1 with 150 points each side, i.e.

And, of course, the amazing coop campaign :p

Walshicus

Just buy what looks fun and interesting to you and you'll build up a collection full of options in no time.

I guess I'm just a little concerned that as it'll either be me and the missus playing or me and friends who'll be using our stuff, that I was buying stuff that wasn't going to give one side a bit much of an advantage.

Had that with Attack Wing for a while; too much Dominion stuff meant anyone playing Fed or Klingon etc. had a hard time...

Oswen

My friends have been asking me to pick up this game for months since it has become very popular in a near gaming club where we used to play mostly Warhammer and the tournament scene is very active aswell.

After some trial games I decided to cave in and bought both starting sets and many Empire related stuff because crushing the Rebel scum and proper Scum is the right thing to do.

And now I'm realizing I probably need to buy a Starviper and a Millenium Falcon to get Autothrusters/Engine Upgrade which seem extremely useful on some imperial ships.

Doomed?Doomed.

And now I'm realizing I probably need to buy a Starviper and a Millenium Falcon to get Autothrusters/Engine Upgrade which seem extremely useful on some imperial ships.

Doomed?Doomed.

If you want engine upgrade you could get Bossks ship, the Hound's Tooth instead. With the Starviper and Falcon you can't really do anything but if you had the Viper and the Hounds Tooth you could at least run a Scum list with those ships now and then.

Oswen

If you want engine upgrade you could get Bossks ship, the Hound's Tooth instead. With the Starviper and Falcon you can't really do anything but if you had the Viper and the Hounds Tooth you could at least run a Scum list with those ships now and then.

I may be wrong but I think the Millenium Falcon comes with two Engine upgrades while the Hound's Tooth only has one.

But yes, overall it would probably be a better idea.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Both damage decks are now legal until further notice, except at Worlds, where only the Force Awakens damage deck will be legal (and provided on-site for free).

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/30/a-pilots-options/

FFG said:
After careful review of the impact on tournament play, we have modified the policy on the legality of damage decks in X-Wing. Each damage deck provides advantages and disadvantages to certain ships, and by extension, certain squadrons. The existence of two different decks creates a healthier metagame, further bolstering the current environment of creativity and amazing customization that X-Wing offers to its players. Toward that end, for the foreseeable future, players will also be able to choose which damage deck to use when building their squadron. The X-Wing tournament rules have been updated to reflect this change.

Though some cards share names in both decks, players will utilize only the printed functionality of the card in the deck they are using. The X-Wing FAQ has been updated with separate clarification sections for each damage deck.

Also, the tournament rules and FAQ each have been updated to Version 3.2.3 to accommodate this ruling.

Toxi

Banned
Both damage decks are now legal until further notice, except at Worlds, where only the Force Awakens damage deck will be legal (and provided on-site for free).

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/30/a-pilots-options/

Also, the tournament rules and FAQ each have been updated to Version 3.2.3 to accommodate this ruling.
Damn. 0_0 I'm guessing this is because FFG doesn't want to have to reissue the old core set with new damage decks so that people who buy it don't have to buy another core set to play competitively.

Top Bottom