• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

zoukka

wtf after I fell to the crap division, I've been facing my toughest opponents like four in a row. What the hell is this shit :b I saw some incredible microing and the opponent in one match scanned like every random baneling hideout I had... I almost started crying about maphack :lol

Would banelings work on Zeal/Stalker massing? Or should I just go roaches if I see this.

zoukka said:
wtf after I fell to the crap division, I've been facing my toughest opponents like four in a row. What the hell is this shit :b I saw some incredible microing and the opponent in one match scanned like every random baneling hideout I had... I almost started crying about maphack :lol

Would banelings work on Zeal/Stalker massing? Or should I just go roaches if I see this.
read the message of the day poeple.. its not matching agst divisions.. since beta is so small its matching agst any person pretty much so expect to play platinum people even if you are copper possibly.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
zoukka said:

Banelings work best against unarmored units, I really only use them against Terran bio armies and zergling/hydra masses as a supplement. They're ok against everything if you can deploy them well, but you'd probably be better off going roaches if he guy doesn't have many immortals.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So Pandaman being the gracious godlike "endangered species" that he is, has offered to share his key.

ZealousD hereby swears that he shall never change his password for any reason, less he face the wrath of the ETERNAL banhammer.

So sweareth he by the gods of Micro, Macro, and Samuel L. Jackson, and so it shall be done.

In the near future, we will be doing a full reset of the beta database. This reset will wipe the following information for all players:

* Character and identifier
* Friends list
* League placement
* Ladder rank

Due to the amount of people currently participating in the beta, this database reset will allow us to monitor and test conditions similar to a game release (albeit smaller). We want to thank everyone for their patience and continued help and support in testing StarCraft II.

We gotta work our way back up mint.. I think they may be doing this now hence Bnet being down. Then again I could be like making shit up

Hazaro said:
Ok so...

Zerg is imba as shit.
That is all.
Agst Terran?? Hell no.. Just wall in and get Mauraders to avoid roach rushes. Early SCV scouting should reveal if they do that. Soon as a Terran gets Stim.. its gg Zerg.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
So Pandaman being the gracious godlike "endangered species" that he is, has offered to share his key.

ZealousD hereby swears that he shall never change his password for any reason, less he face the wrath of the ETERNAL banhammer.

So sweareth he by the gods of Micro, Macro, and Samuel L. Jackson, and so it shall be done.
Done.

the key is yours for the times specified until betas end, this i swear in the name of moe.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
TurtleSnatcher said:
Agst Terran?? Hell no.. Just wall in and get Mauraders to avoid roach rushes. Early SCV scouting should reveal if they do that. Soon as a Terran gets Stim.. its gg Zerg.
Tank splash is so small :'[

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
after mint trashed me today i picked up terran for a few matches and they make roaches look straight up casual. :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
I have to admit thugh that an early baneling rush can totally fuck over a Terran :lol
I tried that on mint, but the guy was psychic. once when he hit my expand in lost temple i ran in and burrowed at the ramp behind him. of course he leaves in dropships after entering on foot. :lol second time he psychic comstated me and it was gg.

the one guy who banelinged me switched to mutas and lost, was a shame because he probably could have pumped zerglings and won. the second attack was a marine medic only slaughter, the banelings pathed around the zerglings ad i focused them down before they could explode.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
TurtleSnatcher said:
I have to admit thugh that an early baneling rush can totally fuck over a Terran :lol

I only really use banelings in tiny quantities, as I feel like any more than that is more of a trade than a kill.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
zoukka said:
Zerg wasn't imba even before the goddamn super-nerf patch.

I had a guy rage at me for beating his marine ball with a bunch of roaches: "gg on willing with a unit that's op as fuck"

To which I responded: "gg on not using marauders or any air at all?"

Procarbine said:
I only really use banelings in tiny quantities, as I feel like any more than that is more of a trade than a kill.
THe push through the initial wall and taking out supply depots then his army then so many scvs can be so satisfying :)

Pandaman said:
I tried that on mint, but the guy was psychic. once when he hit my expand in lost temple i ran in and burrowed at the ramp behind him. of course he leaves in dropships after entering on foot. :lol second time he psychic comstated me and it was gg.

the one guy who banelinged me switched to mutas and lost, was a shame because he probably could have pumped zerglings and won. the second attack was a marine medic only slaughter, the banelings pathed around the zerglings ad i focused them down before they could explode.

Just early ling rush mint. And harass his early scv building a rax :p He hates that shit!

Spike

What pisses me off to no end is that I was on board since Warcraft 1. StarCraft is my favourite game of all time, and I am still not in this beta.

And to top it all off, my video card seems to have bit the big one. :(

mint

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
THe push through the initial wall and taking out supply depots then his army then so many scvs can be so satisfying :)

Just early ling rush mint. And harass his early scv building a rax :p He hates that shit!
As soon as I see another unit come near my scv building a rax I send one from my minerals and attack him. Problem solved.

And that one map we got rushed so badly..Mainly because it was hard to wall off of.

Hazaro said:
Ok so...

Zerg is imba as shit.
That is all.

It's not that bad. They are better, yes (their macro ability is incredibly well done and fits the way Zerg play perfectly with no contention, unlike Terran) , but it's not wild imba like an upgraded range Colossus or anything.

Against Zerg you either have to be really aggressive with your first expansion (this actually isn't that hard) or always keep applying pressure (Hellion drops, pushing out early against an early expansion) on the Zerg starting early on in the game.

You cannot, by any means, let them sit there and power drones w/ inject larva to saturation off two bases and then start making units. They'll get map control+easy high yield third and will throw huge masses of units at you from their eco advantage.

My answer against Zerg is a fast expansion before taking any gas and then keeping constant pressure applied so they can't skimp on units. Drops against Zerg mineral lines are usually pretty effective too, just kill drones and pick up the dropship when stuff comes to help out and run away, as is just killing off an extractor or two.

If you get midgame on even bases and get two starports of Ravens going once you get your third base down, you can start to trade armies with the Zerg and eventually you'll totally wipe him out with HSM.

So again the key is not letting the zerg get huge through powering drones unimpeded+keeping an even base count/aggressively expanding. Ever since I started early fast expanding against Zerg and massing Ravens after my first four dropships or so my win rate in the MU got MUCH higher.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm glad you are all pouncing on me for saying imba. :lol

It just seems as Terran I have to work so much harder to do everything right.

Ice Monkey said:
enough with all the bickering. just dont play with him again if you dont want to. Nuff said.

And I wholly abhor the idea that warhammer is taking rts in some bold new direction. It aint, at all. All it's doing is removing base building and plopping down some baldur's gate or dungeon siege in place of the bases. Command and Conquer 4 does the RTS name even worse.

Starcraft and its ilk is what RTS is about. I bought DoW, it's expansions and DoW2 and enjoy them all to a degree, but what I despise about the direction these games take RTS into is that there is a sad lack of REAL RTS while everyone jumps on the RPG bandwagon.

I think it sums it up quite nicely the comment someone made a long time ago in this thread: blizzard experimented with war3 at first being exactly like DoW2 with missions and just running around with heroes and several units and no bases, but then quickly added bases back in after realizing IT WAS NOT AS FUN.

I fully believe these two types of RTS can coexist, I really do. But RTS is a genre with probably the least games being made in the past and forthcoming years, and they have all lately been going with the DoW2 approach or trying stuff that belittles the classic gameplay like RA3 and its water-building stress, forced co-op campaigns and strange superpower mechanics. Thank God for starcraft 2 or else we might have gone even longer without a more classic base building approach for those of us who feel the same way as I do.
Well said, sir.

Paz

Does anyone else feel like SC2 has taken the worst elements of SC1 + WC3 and combined it into one game? Not that either of those games are anything less than spectacular but it seems like they are intentionally using the boring bits to make SC2.

I'm rank 4 in my plat division atm and every game is like groundhog day, only one or two strategies works properly for each matchup and I HAVE TO perform these actions:

1. Always move your whole army together at once because the winner of the first battle after 6 minutes will 100% win the game, gone are the tank ledge drops and other genuinely interesting strategies because you cant risk not having every unit available for that first battle.

2. Always play a reactive game and build counter units to your opponent, or guess counter units, because positioning and micro are useless compared to an immortal doing 250% dmg or whatever the fuck his bonus is against armor. Gone are the interesting SC dynamics where you could invent a counter through clever use of unit variations and interesting micro.

3. If your unit isn't a hellion then don't bother microing. Just attack move and activate abilities because the AI is now actively screwed up by any attempts to micro that you might make, heck zerglings will auto surround enemy immortals if you just attack move against protoss.

aznpxdd

Paz said:
Does anyone else feel like SC2 has taken the worst elements of SC1 + WC3 and combined it into one game? Not that either of those games are anything less than spectacular but it seems like they are intentionally using the boring bits to make SC2.

I'm rank 4 in my plat division atm and every game is like groundhog day, only one or two strategies works properly for each matchup and I HAVE TO perform these actions:

1. Always move your whole army together at once because the winner of the first battle after 6 minutes will 100% win the game, gone are the tank ledge drops and other genuinely interesting strategies because you cant risk not having every unit available for that first battle.

2. Always play a reactive game and build counter units to your opponent, or guess counter units, because positioning and micro are useless compared to an immortal doing 250% dmg or whatever the fuck his bonus is against armor. Gone are the interesting SC dynamics where you could invent a counter through clever use of unit variations and interesting micro.

3. If your unit isn't a hellion then don't bother microing. Just attack move and activate abilities because the AI is now actively screwed up by any attempts to micro that you might make, heck zerglings will auto surround enemy immortals if you just attack move against protoss.

Agree with all your points. Which is why I'm not playing the beta much right now.

ZealousD

Paz said:
3. If your unit isn't a hellion then don't bother microing.

Bullshit. At the very LEAST Mauraders and Roaches work great with micro.

Paz said:

You need to watch that 5-part long-ass pro match someone posted a few pages back and then we can talk about 100% winning the first battle.

EDIT:
Zzoram said:

Paz

In the first 5 minutes yes you must micro quite hard with all units, beyond that the only micro you should do is activate abilities and pull back 'giant' units like colossus.

Microing marauders or marines in an M M M ball will 100% only hurt your chances of victory.

It's quite shallow compared to SC1 and WC3 where I would be in full control of almost every unit every 1.5 seconds or so.

Paz said:
In the first 5 minutes yes you must micro quite hard with all units, beyond that the only micro you should do is activate abilities and pull back 'giant' units like colossus.

Microing marauders or marines in an M M M ball will 100% only hurt your chances of victory.

It's quite shallow compared to SC1 and WC3 where I would be in full control of almost every unit every 1.5 seconds or so.
But is that really what you want? Tedious if you ask me.

garath

The Lamonster said:
You need to watch that 5-part long-ass pro match someone posted a few pages back and then we can talk about 100% winning the first battle.

EDIT:

Absolutely. I've seen a lot of replays (kills some time over lunch at work) and while some are decided early with the first rush, I'm seeing more and more that go back and forth a few times where I can't see a clear winner until the very end.

The Lamonster said:

EDIT:
That said, I am concerned from seeing certain things that Blizzard has focused wayyyyy too much on the pro and wayyyy too little on the casual.

Paz

Well I can only tell you about my experience as someone who has played about 200 games in plat league against many of the high ranking plat players.. Games are for the most part VERY short and decided by the first encounter.

The replays you see are a small slice of what is actually played, people like to save/distribute longer and more interesting replays but I would bet there are 10 boring 6-10 minute matches before an d after them.

And yes I really do want to micro my units in battle, it basically removes a large element of player skill in battle tactics when you don't have to micro.

TheKingsCrown said:
That said, I am concerned from seeing certain things that Blizzard has focused wayyyyy too much on the pro and wayyyy too little on the casual.
Agreed. But I never came to this party for the competitive multiplayer. I'm here for the Customs and Campaign.

If the new Battle.net matchmaking is as good as they say it will be, being able to play other people who suck will just be icing on the cake.

ZealousD

Paz said:

Again... bullshit! Have you never had an MMM ball charged by zealots? Maurader slowdown means that zealots can't even get close.

Few things contribute to this IMO:

a) Worker AI is smarter and very efficient now, so people are able to get really strong macro going off two bases at that point in time. It means that army sizes/investment get bigger much quicker than in SC1.

b) Maps are generally really bad IMO in beta right now compared to the tournament quality Korean maps that get all the play in BW. They are small, often have hard to take expansions, and have ridiculously short rush distances that compound the "winner" effect in a battle since the other side doesn't have time to macro up a defense force to compliment the remnants of his army while the other side moves and pushes on his base.

c) The hard counters present all over the game make for some real lopsided fights. Instead of trading armies, the player with the better unit composition is rewarded with minimal, instead of heavy, losses given equal food counts in the clashing armies.

The maps the community can hopefully fix by getting the cagematch and imbalanced maps off the ladder. Worker AI is always going to be good, but if they would tone down the explicitly hard counters battles would see more army trading and less lopsided wins that become overruns.

Paz said:

Play TvZ against a Zerg that knows what they are doing (and goes speedlings/banelings, and later hydras instead of mindless roach spam) and come back and say that with a straight face. Microing marauders into banelings is Terran's only hope of winning against that, and even then it relies a lot on getting the speedlings choked so they can't autosurround.

Top Bottom