• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Paz said:
Microing marauders or marines in an M M M ball will 100% only hurt your chances of victory.

lol. what?

You should really watch good players use Terran. Hell even mint who is pretty damn good with Terran can micro his ball of 1 trillion and dominate in battles cuz he does so.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Paz said:
Does anyone else feel like SC2 has taken the worst elements of SC1 + WC3 and combined it into one game? Not that either of those games are anything less than spectacular but it seems like they are intentionally using the boring bits to make SC2.

I'm rank 4 in my plat division atm and every game is like groundhog day, only one or two strategies works properly for each matchup and I HAVE TO perform these actions:

1. Always move your whole army together at once because the winner of the first battle after 6 minutes will 100% win the game, gone are the tank ledge drops and other genuinely interesting strategies because you cant risk not having every unit available for that first battle.

2. Always play a reactive game and build counter units to your opponent, or guess counter units, because positioning and micro are useless compared to an immortal doing 250% dmg or whatever the fuck his bonus is against armor. Gone are the interesting SC dynamics where you could invent a counter through clever use of unit variations and interesting micro.

3. If your unit isn't a hellion then don't bother microing. Just attack move and activate abilities because the AI is now actively screwed up by any attempts to micro that you might make, heck zerglings will auto surround enemy immortals if you just attack move against protoss.

No, I disagree.
1: I have personally lost armies early on only to come back and overwhelm my opponent because of a fast expand. Also, that TvP video.

2: If you weren't doing that in SC1 I'm not sure what you were doing, exactly. I've turned pushes around when I had armies that should have lost. Cleverly placed burrowed banelings or hiding reinforcements and striking at the rear of an attack (this won me a match because I managed to kill 2 Colossi with a zergling/roach army, getting behind the zealot/immortal shield). And I'm fairly certain that those clever inversions weren't figured out in the SC1 beta, or even in the first years of release, give it time. Hardcore players have found interesting mechanics in things as dumbed down as SSBB and they will no doubt be found here.

3: This is just a generalized and incorrect statement, you have to know this.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Shaoren said:
It seems that the wave 4 has begun.

However, still no key...
Being desperate about this beta.

I've pretty much given up hope. I'm done checking my bnet account every day for a "surprise" SC2 key. If I happne to see the email while I'm normally checking email then I'll rejoice and play the shit out of this beta, if not then at this point I'm just waiting for retail. It's not like we have long to go anyway.

I'm actually having a blast just watching replays on youtube and live streams. SC2 is here, and I'll be playing it soon enough!

zoukka

I agree that the SCII matches are overly "brutal". Like one good guess of what the opponent is doing and that's it. I'm a newb so obviously take my messages with a grain of salt, but often the battles are decided before the units collide. But that's Starcraft and how it should be. I wish my macroing would be better so that I could recover from some tight, yet lost battles. Usually the leftover units can demolish your base if they have antiarmor units.

And I hate scouting against Terran. Overlords are so fragile when marines are everywhere.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
zoukka said:
And I hate scouting against Terran. Overlords are so fragile when marines are everywhere.

Don't let your first overlord get hit by marines/use overseers. I feel like so few zerg use overseers, but it's one of the first things I do when I hit lair. Sneak into a corner, drop a changeling, walk around and get your info.

Procarbine said:
Don't let your first overlord get hit by marines/use overseers. I feel like so few zerg use overseers, but it's one of the first things I do when I hit lair. Sneak into a corner, drop a changeling, walk around and get your info.
100 gas cost.. and for early rushes 100 gas is 4 fricken roaches ! :p

But I agree.. I need to incorporate some more into my game.

I do wish they would buff up building health a bit.. seems too ez to take a marine ball and FF onto a command center and blow it down within seconds..

TurtleSnatcher said:
Agst Terran?? Hell no.. Just wall in and get Mauraders to avoid roach rushes. Early SCV scouting should reveal if they do that. Soon as a Terran gets Stim.. its gg Zerg.

That's kinda explained the majority of my last few 2v2 games against terran. If I'm able to mass hydras I have a chance, and one time I was able to hide long tech long enough to get brood lords which handed me an easy win.

PhoenixDark said:
That's kinda explained the majority of my last few 2v2 games against terran. If I'm able to mass hydras I have a chance, and one time I was able to hide long tech long enough to get brood lords which handed me an easy win.

Yea Brood Lords and Ultras are god awful far in the tech tree for Zerg players..

I can easily get a Collosus or Thor out in quicker manner then I can get a Ultra or Brood Lord.

Heck I know I can get BCs and Carriers faster then Broodlords =[

TurtleSnatcher said:
Yea Brood Lords and Ultras are god awful far in the tech tree for Zerg players..

I can easily get a Collosus or Thor out in quicker manner then I can get a Ultra or Brood Lord.

Heck I know I can get BCs and Carriers faster then Broodlords =[

I got them pretty fast. Once I saw the opponent was terran I was like "oh great" and didn't feel like spamming banelings/speedlings. I barely held him off with mass roaches, quickly got my Lair, and got 5 brood lords pretty fast. Then went hydras, hit with brood lords on one side of his base and pumped a nydus in the other side.

In 2v2s with a decent partner I can usually get my early expansion with ease, and once my economy is pumping I can flood the map with hydras. I'm beginning to get tired of just massing roaches. If I'm going against toss I'll do it, but it becomes annoying regardless. Especially when your ally is like "wtf are you doing bro, go roaches"

So I just found out about Starcraft 64...:lol

starcraft_790screen004.jpg

PhoenixDark said:
I got them pretty fast. Once I saw the opponent was terran I was like "oh great" and didn't feel like spamming banelings/speedlings. I barely held him off with mass roaches, quickly got my Lair, and got 5 brood lords pretty fast. Then went hydras, hit with brood lords on one side of his base and pumped a nydus in the other side.

In 2v2s with a decent partner I can usually get my early expansion with ease, and once my economy is pumping I can flood the map with hydras. I'm beginning to get tired of just massing roaches. If I'm going against toss I'll do it, but it becomes annoying regardless. Especially when your ally is like "wtf are you doing bro, go roaches"
I havent run into anyone who really bitches at what I do make thankfully.

I almost NEVER go roaches.. It seems like too many people initially build to counter them so I try to surprised a few by just massing up hydras or going banelings/speedlings.

I dunno top tier zerg still feels the slowest of all the other races to get too.. Specailly broodlords.. You gotta get a spire.. then get to hive.. then upgrade spire to greater spire.. then make corrupters who then MORPH into brood lords.. ugh :(

Ultras are just pricey for what they can do at the moment.. Yea I can understand a good swarm of them rape but if you have 3 or 4.. mixed in with your group they can get easily FF'd.

SC64 - Holy shit almost forgot.

Milabrega

Haven't seen it discussed here but did everyone know in addition to the platinum/gold/silver/bronze/copper leagues Blizzard is going to have an invite only Pro League to follow along once SC2 launches? I was over at the battle.net forums trying to find info on wave 4 if it really started or not, since well seeing how Gaf has faired in the other waves and how many people without the beta are still here I found it odd only Door2Dawn got in this wave.

Was also over there looking on where to report the in game text ui glitch I've come across fairly frequently.

There will be a pro league level above Platinum once the game is released, but it's not included as part of the beta. Presumably it would be the top tenth to half of a percent of players or so, though it might be more so that those active players can always find matches against other pro players.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wave 4 hasn't officially started yet. The official forums aren't buzzing enough for that to be the case.

mint

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Ill be on in 15 mins for an hr.. will you be around LATE tonight ??

Like 11pm on ward?
I can play 11pm, but I play more like 3p to 1030pm ish. I usually go to sleep around 12amish.

aznpxdd

I'll play with you tonight Turtle, around 9pm PST.

Damnit I wished we have 3v3...me, you and mint would own. :D

I'd love to try a bunch of wacky strat in 3v3 too...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The Lamonster said:
So I just found out about Starcraft 64...:lol

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/1/198791/starcraft_790screen004.jpg[/IMG]
i played this all the time.

its the only way to get the complete starcraft experience.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Fragamemnon said:
That's just the Terran way of doing things in all things SC. Hasn't changed at all in SC2. :lol
Yeah but in SC 1 I could just make tanks and win. That's why I played Terran :lol
(and vultures and the music)

I've played SC 64 before. Terrible. So terrible.

Door2Dawn

Banned
Wow after playing 10 placement matches, it placed me straight into the silver league:lol . I think all those games with the computer really helped me out.

My user name is DoortwoDawn.dawn if anyone wants to add me.

I just had a great comeback game, my main base was destroyed but I managed to make an expo outside my allies base. Came back with a zealot/void ray combo.

The only map where I feel you lose if you dont win the first engagement is that 2v2 Shakuras Plateau (I think thats it) where you start off right next to your ally.

On right now as Moofaa.moofaa if anyone wants to join.

Insaniac

well i am reformatting my computer today so hopefully i'll be able to get Starcraft 2 to start up finally and play with some GAFfers

mint

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
Wow after playing 10 placement matches, it placed me straight into the silver league:lol . I think all those games with the computer really helped me out.

My user name is DoortwoDawn.dawn if anyone wants to add me.
Are you XenobladeX from HoN?

robochimp

maniac-kun said:
For me its just another blizzard beta where they keep on ignoring me like they allways do.

We'll all probably get into the 1 week long, game will be released shortly, stress test.

That was my luck with the Frozen Throne Beta

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
32-21 in ladder, still no rank up to silver. ;_;

oh wellz, im off for the night, so you can go on anytime zealous.

IceMarker

Here's to hoping I get a key or someone giving me a key! :D

Otherwise I just won't care, game is gonna be out in less than six months anyways, I'll just be disappointed so many people will be ahead of me in what I believe is the only genre next to fighters that I get my ass handed to me constantly online. :lol

Milabrega

I wouldn't worry too much about the Beta ladder atm. They are planning very soon a complete wipe to simulate the game launch. Ladder, Names, Buddy Lists, Identifiers all of it will be gone.

Top Bottom