• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ezahn

As a fool who never played the original Starcraft (buuuuuu for me, I know -_- ) do you think this second game is accessible?

I mean: can I reasonably try it, learn it and play online for fun, without any competitive edge?

Interfectum

Ezahn said:
As a fool who never played the original Starcraft (buuuuuu for me, I know -_- ) do you think this second game is accessible?

I mean: can I reasonably try it, learn it and play online for fun, without any competitive edge?

The beta? No.

But there will be TONS of stuff built into the full release of SC2 to make you a better StarCraft player.

Ezahn

Interfectum said:
The beta? No.

But there will be TONS of stuff built into the full release of SC2 to make you a better StarCraft player.

That's what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks, you made me a happy camper.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ezahn said:

blizzard specifically want to attract players like you to SC2. they will make the game as accessible as they can for players new to the franchise or RTSs in general.

Ezahn

BTW, sorry for the OT but I really do not know where to ask: is it normal since I'm a junior to NOT be able to search the forums?

If I try it just say I'm not able to.

/headscratch

cramcakes

Ezahn said:
BTW, sorry for the OT but I really do not know where to ask: is it normal since I'm a junior to NOT be able to search the forums?

If I try it just say I'm not able to.

/headscratch

Search is down for everyone.

cramcakes

Ezahn said:
Wooops. Tnx. Nice to know. :)

Yeah, it was messing up the servers a couple months ago so they took it down for awhile.

To answer your other question from above about entering the series, yes it is completely possible to have boatloads of fun, even if you suck. I royally suck at (competitive) Starcraft, but I've beaten the campaign several times and have EASILY 2000 hours in the game just single player vs. computer ffa skirmishes. Not to mention all the mini/meta game stuff that will come out as people get better with the map editor.

I'm very disappointed...

I played like 3 games and I have no desire to play more. Should have sold it for $800.

I played tons of StarCraft when it came out. It feels EXACTLY the same. Everyone does the EXACT same thing and plays it the exact same way as they did a decade ago, rushing out the first two units over and over. I was expecting a lot more. I hate how Blizzard completely undid years of RTS evolution by companies like Relic, by essentially releasing the exact same game as 12 years ago, and sadly it'll sell infinitely more copies and be infinitely more popular than something like Dawn of War 2. And no, I'm not a Warhammer fanboy, I just think Relic has brought the RTS genre in an awesome direction, and I have no interest in "going back to the 90s" with StarCraft 2. There's a reason RTS games have changed over the last decade.

If more people want more StarCraft exactly how it was before, good for them, you have your perfect game, but I don't know if I have it in me to play MORE of the same game, and I'm not going to try to convince myself that I like it "just because it's Blizzard" like I'm sure so many others are doing. It's just not for me.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
watching last nights replay, how the hell does turtle and mint mmmm so damn fast and strong. :\

also i think its official that me and mila cannot win a game on shak. plateau. doubly so if we're favoured to win. :lol

Ezahn

Well, cramcakes, if you can spend all those hours on vs AI matches the game is sure famous for a reason... ^^

Thanks for the good news.
I know SC2 is bound to be evolutionary but that's not a problem for a rookie.
So I'll keep on waiting for the release.

Ezahn

Oh, I forgot... Since a couple of years ago I bought (and never played ... BUUUUU again for me) the original Starcraft from the Blizzard Store, do you reccomend to play it now, before the sequel arrive?

I mean, it would be a good stretching as far as basic mechanics are concerned or has the basic gameplay changed much?

garath

Ezahn said:

I'm in your boat. Never played the original. I got into the beta though and have been playing it. It's daunting with no previous knowledge of the game - units, hotkeys, tech trees, etc. But a few matches against the very easy AI helped sort me out a little and I've been playing 1v1s vs live people recently and actually won one. Been semi-competitive in others. It's definitely doable.

Pandaman said:
watching last nights replay, how the hell does turtle and mint mmmm so damn fast and strong. :\

also i think its official that me and mila cannot win a game on shak. plateau. doubly so if we're favoured to win. :lol

I never play Terran.. NEVER. So beats me.

Mint though.. He is king of MMM

mint

Banned
I'm going to download some 2v2s and watch how its done.

TBH I think it's possible to defend that early rush with a bunker and some marines..but I will still need to adjust my build order.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Frodo-Teabaggins said:
I'm very disappointed...

I played like 3 games and I have no desire to play more. Should have sold it for $800.

I played tons of StarCraft when it came out. It feels EXACTLY the same. Everyone does the EXACT same thing and plays it the exact same way as they did a decade ago, rushing out the first two units over and over. I was expecting a lot more. I hate how Blizzard completely undid years of RTS evolution by companies like Relic, by essentially releasing the exact same game as 12 years ago, and sadly it'll sell infinitely more copies and be infinitely more popular than something like Dawn of War 2. And no, I'm not a Warhammer fanboy, I just think Relic has brought the RTS genre in an awesome direction, and I have no interest in "going back to the 90s" with StarCraft 2. There's a reason RTS games have changed over the last decade.

If more people want more StarCraft exactly how it was before, good for them, you have your perfect game, but I don't know if I have it in me to play MORE of the same game, and I'm not going to try to convince myself that I like it "just because it's Blizzard" like I'm sure so many others are doing. It's just not for me.
I wonder how this game is going to review. Is it going to get 9s and 10s because it's Starcraft 2 or is it going to get lower scores because it's Starcraft Too?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
TurtleSnatcher said:
I never play Terran.. NEVER. So beats me.

Mint though.. He is king of MMM
:lol

when the zerg zerg vs you two match started, i asked if we should roach and mila told me if we did mint would eat us for breakfast.

makes me want to 1v1 him. >_>

mint

Banned
Pandaman said:
:lol

when the zerg zerg vs you two match started, i asked if we should roach and mila told me if we did mint would eat us for breakfast.

makes me want to 1v1 him. >_>
Anytime Panda :)

SapientWolf said:
I wonder how this game is going to review. Is it going to get 9s and 10s because it's Starcraft 2 or is it going to get lower scores because it's Starcraft Too?
This is what most fans wanted and expected though. (me and my friends included)
A pretty Starcraft with some new units.

I think they should review based on that, and not on what new features other RTS are bringing up.

I am so torn. It's play SC2 or FFXIII and I'm having a blast with both. Mint, I added you to my friends in game after you messaged me, but then I had to go off and cook dinner, then I got hooked on FF for the night :lol

I'd sure like to play a game or two on your team to learn some more of the ropes.

Edit:
It's been a few years since I played SC, but I don't know if I'd go so far as to call SC2 the same game. It's similar, but there are some pretty significant strategy changes and completely new strats you can use. In fact, I can't really see many of the strats for SC carrying over directly to SC2, for me.

fatty

Frodo-Teabaggins said:
I'm very disappointed...

Sorry you feel that way but I think it's a case of different strokes for different folks. Although Company of Heroes is still collecting dust on my shelf from not trying it out yet (and I only have myself to blame), I have tried to give other games a chance like Rise of Nations and Dawn of War. And while I think those are quality games, I just have a hard time going back to playing them.

For me they just feel "off". Some may feel that Starcraft is not helping to evolve the RTS genre in the way that they'd like but I look at it and say why try to take a game somewhere where it doesn't need to go? That's probably why I enjoyed Street Fighter 4 so much. No worrying about concepts like parrying, etc. It just (basically) went back to what made SF2 so great while adding refinements where needed.

As for Starcraft 2, still haven't played it :( but I have been playing SC on iccup and there are so many different strategies used instead of rushing out the first 2 units over and over. Of course something like this might be expected on SC2 where the game is in beta and basically you have people copying certain strategies to increase their ranking. This will certainly change once the game is released and people experiment more on their own instead of being relegated to online play.

Anyways, I think this is the best of both worlds. Relic fans have their RTS games available that provide a unique style of play and then there are those of us who have been waiting to get the kind of fix that Starcraft provides that will finally get what they've been waiting 10 years for.

Frodo-Teabaggins said:
I'm very disappointed...

1) this is just the beta, so all you're getting is competitive multiplayer
2) these were my first thoughts as well, after the first couple games. give it another shot, bro

mint said:
I'm going to download some 2v2s and watch how its done.

TBH I think it's possible to defend that early rush with a bunker and some marines..but I will still need to adjust my build order.

Honestly that rush yesterday on Twi Fortress we could have easily stopped. We both need to start scouting early on that map.

I need to anticipate rushes on that map no matter what.

Other maps its not so bad since you can wall in and I usually can tech to roaches okay.. but that one since they are together its either both rush or both wall in..

mint

Banned
Frodo-Teabaggins said:
I'm very disappointed...

$800? You actually could've sold it for that much?

zoukka

Jesus I dropped from 20/20 w/l in gold to a fucking bronze :lol

I guess it was about the points you rack not about w/l ratio or anything like that :/ And just when I started to manage against the better players... oh well I guess this means I won't have to twitch and sweat in every match from now on.

Also my last gold match was hilarious. I made some pretty late lings and still got inside terran base. RAGE ensued.

Milabrega

Panda and I are 0-4 Platinum, 0-4 when Favored and 0-4 on Shakuras Plateau. I've noticed a very serious trend. Shakuras Plateau is about to get map preference in its rightful place next to Desert Oasis at zero.

Ezahn said:

Yep, not the beta though. Beta is limited to FFA, 1v1 and 2v2 on limited maps for the intent on testing the competitive balance of the game. The final product however will have the campaign editor and all the maps/game modes your heart can desire. As well as 3v3, 4v4 (5v5 and higher??), single player and vs comp modes which will be very accessible.

Ezahn said:

You'll be able to play casual UMS maps (custom maps with their own set of gameplay rules, many with co-op and team play) and big team "money" maps like Hunters for years after release.

Milabrega said:
Panda and I are 0-4 Platinum, 0-4 when Favored and 0-4 on Shakuras Plateau. I've noticed a very serious trend. Shakuras Plateau is about to get map preference in its rightful place next to Desert Oasis at zero.

Yep, not the beta though. Beta is limited to FFA, 1v1 and 2v2 on limited maps for the intent on testing the competitive balance of the game. The final product however will have the campaign editor and all the maps/game modes your heart can desire. As well as 3v3, 4v4 (5v5 and higher??), single player and vs comp modes which will be very accessible.

lol

mint and I are 1-2 in Platinum. He lost to 2 guys.. then played em again right after the loss and ran it back and won.

Then we lost on Twilight Fortress..

I think we are like 0-2 or 0-3 on that damn map. Its either all out rush or all out turtle on that stupid map.

One of the games we lost too was ridiculous. The enemy ended up going mass carriers and mass collosus. It was such a ruthless combo...

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
lol

mint and I are 1-2 in Platinum. He lost to 2 guys.. then played em again right after the loss and ran it back and won.

Then we lost on Twilight Fortress..

I think we are like 0-2 or 0-3 on that damn map. Its either all out rush or all out turtle on that stupid map.

One of the games we lost too was ridiculous. The enemy ended up going mass carriers and mass collosus. It was such a ruthless combo...

Mass vikings = win?

zoukka

Yeah only going for AA weak combo doesn't sound too ruthless. A few games back I accidentally surprised my opponents collossusses with a bunch of corrupters. Tears were imminent ;o

JonAmikar

Ignorant Scrub
Why do so many people say that StarCraft 2 is a mix between Brood War and WarCraft III?

Is it the feel of the engine or perhaps the stronger emphasis on unit spells?

Do you think my best bet to get into the Beta is to opt-in for the PC or Mac beta?
I mean, I feel like they're going to want to start testing OSX users, now that the PC one has been going a while.

What's Blizzard's history with Mac betas?

Yaweee

JonAmikar said:
Why do so many people say that StarCraft 2 is a mix between Brood War and WarCraft III?

Waaaaaaay better unit interface and controls make it much easier to cast spells and micro effectively compared to Brood War.

Do you think my best bet to get into the Beta is to opt-in for the PC or Mac beta?
I mean, I feel like they're going to want to start testing OSX users, now that the PC one has been going a while.

What's Blizzard's history with Mac betas?

The latest news on the mac beta is that it is happening sometime in April.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Milabrega said:
That interview put Blizzard's ideal number of testers at 10k, there was <7k over the weekend and <5k now so I'd say the chances of another wave sooner rather than later look good.

Sorry I've been missing your 2v2 invites dude! I'm quite a bit better than the last time we played (sorry again Deltron :p) but I'm still working my kinks out. One of the guys I live with watches a lot of Pro SC1 and didn't get in the beta, he coaches me while I play and it's helped a lot :p.

JonAmikar said:

The only similarities to WC3 are simply the improved RTS controls and interface.

It's still StarCraft at heart.

Mudkips

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
Dude panda and i told both of you to quit it.. anyone can change up builds etc..

I actually didnt even see any banelings on my initial attack and spouting that shit off as well as SPAMMING the party chat with

LOL PANDA IS NOW REALLY AN ENDGANGERED SPIECES LOLOLOL

is exactly the reason why we ddint let you and him have ref access as you woulda just spammed the fricken game. Talk in obs chat.. thats the point of their own chat function. Keep spouting off.. none of the regulars will want to play with cheese like that.

I joked about Panda being an endangered species after his last Command Center was wiped out and a message stating so was sent out to all players. I also said "OMG HE HAS ULTRALISKS" about 2 minutes into the game. Neither of those are "revealing tactics" unless you're a complete idiot.

You're raging at me for something my friend did in an unranked match of a beta of a videogame that had no effect on the outcome because it revealed no new information.

Do your parents have to hide the knives and matches before they let you play Monopoly or Risk? Grow up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mudkips said:
I joked about Panda being an endangered species after his last Command Center was wiped out and a message stating so was sent out to all players. I also said "OMG HE HAS ULTRALISKS" about 2 minutes into the game. Neither of those are "revealing tactics" unless you're a complete idiot.

You're raging at me for something my friend did in an unranked match of a beta of a videogame that had no effect on the outcome because it revealed no new information.

Do your parents have to hide the knives and matches before they let you play Monopoly or Risk? Grow up.
People on GAF are old and RTS is serious business.

Mudkips said:

Mengy said:
That's a real dick move, and extremely immature. Keep that up and no one will want to play with you.

Scrow said:
"lol, you don't like it so i'm gonna do it more!" is no defense for such behaviour.

GaimeGuy said:
So you admit to douchebaggery. at least you're on the same page :)

fanboi said:

Yeah... I'm going to have to agree with them.

Mudkips

Banned
Except I didn't reveal any tactics.

I didn't do anything remotely related to revealing tactics. Yet you call me out on the internets as a douchebag.
Get the pylon out of your ass and fuck off.

Top Bottom