• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

clav

Pandaman said:
ah, i see.

battlecruisers are weird in sc2, much stronger then before. they dont really have to worry about storrms and it seems corrupters are the only truly viable anti air against them as you'll have them ready for the broodlord evolution anyway.
Battlecruisers and Carriers seem to be a lot harder to take down in large #s.

Psi-storm now has a cooldown time as you can't spam 160 damage from each templar. Only 80 in a period of 5 seconds.

Your best bet is a crap ton of stalkers or phoenixes, and the most important part is to focus fire.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
claviertekky said:
Battlecruisers and Carriers seem to be a lot harder to take down in large #s.

Psi-storm now has a cooldown time as you can't spam 160 damage from each templar. Only 80 in a period of 5 seconds.

Your best bet is a crap ton of stalkers or phoenixes, and the most important part is to focus fire.
stalkers are so weak though. :\ blink can make for some nice harass, but they dont really seem worth it in the long term accept as a cheap way to limit harass.

phoenixs have the opposite problem of being very good anti air, but with few benefits in the largely ground oriented metagame there's not much of a reason to get them and they'll be useless after you counter. if you lose your ground units to the push, you're stuck rebuilding with a foodcap.

vikings seem to be the only legitimately viable anti air counter so far, but i haven't played much protoss and im always trying templar oriented builds. i haven't really had time to check, but do storms stack in starcraft 2? i've been storming under the assumption they dont.

clav

Pandaman said:
stalkers are so weak though. :\ blink can make for some nice harass, but they dont really seem worth it in the long term accept as a cheap way to limit harass.

phoenixs have the opposite problem of being very good anti air, but with few benefits in the largely ground oriented metagame theres not much of a reason to get them and they'll be useless after you counter.

vikings seem to be the only legitamatly viable anti air counter so far, but i haven't played much protoss and im always trying templar oriented builds. i haven't really had time to check, but do storms stack in starcraft 2?

Storms do stack, but there is a cooldown time.

Phoenixes are excellent scouting units. Just build at least one. It's basically a stronger corsair as it can see a lot, move quickly, and attack air. If you're good with micro, I would think its magic is pretty deadly.

10 seconds to float a unit in the air disabling all abilities?

I haven't tried its ability yet, but I will in the near future.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
claviertekky said:
Storms do stack, but there is a cooldown time.

Phoenixes are excellent scouting units. Just build one. It's basically a stronger corsair as it can see a lot, move quickly, and attack air. If you're good with micro, I would think its magic is pretty deadly.

10 seconds to float a unit in the air disabling all abilities?
know whats an even better scouting unit?

sentry hallucinated phoenixes.

:D

i havent explored its magic much, i imagine it could be very cruel in a protoss versus protoss where you can cripple collosi and anti air them in both states.

Milabrega

If I am facing a zerg I know is Roaching I'll go 2 Gate Warp Rays, and send in 3 rays and a phoenix. the Phoenix takes out the Queen protecting the warp rays and is great to harass OL's and drones/Roaches after, or even Hydra's if he's tech'd that far.

clav

Milabrega said:
If I am facing a zerg I know is Roaching I'll go 2 Gate Warp Rays, and send in 3 rays and a phoenix. the Phoenix takes out the Queen protecting the warp rays and is great to harass OL's and drones/Roaches after, or even Hydra's if he's tech'd that far.
How do you do that without the OV looking at your base?

I suppose you need canons at some point in that build or antiair to keep your cards concealed?

Usually, I sit in my base massing immortals and stalkers with a few zealots and sentries in between to take on the damage.

After the initial onslaught, then I move out or work on my expansion, and denying the zerg's.

Milabrega

claviertekky said:
How do you do that without the OV looking at your base?

I suppose you need canons at some point in that build or antiair to keep your cards concealed?

Usually, I sit in my base massing immortals and stalkers with a few zealots and sentries in between to take on the damage.

After the initial onslaught, then I move out or work on my expansion, and denying the zerg's.

Overlord's usually run away once they see the CC go down. When I'm going quick Warp Rays, I usually don't waste gas on sentries or immortals unless things are going horribly wrong so yeah usually 2 canons come into play, usually behind a gateway wall at my entrance, I'll keep Zealots to clog the one path and let the canons do work. More depending on how long into the game he waits to use that first roach attack and if I get scared of incoming muta.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
we and zealous just out aizened each other in a protosss versus protoss.

haha forge fast expand!
hah, ill attack the rocks!
haha, sneaky. i have cannons there!
haha ill stop attacking them and move units around just at the edge of your sight range!
haha i have an observer, so i know thats all you have, you're going air!
haha i'll hit you on the other side where you dont have cannons!
hah- oh fuck it, attack move.

Has anyone played SC2 on a Geforce 360M or have any idea how well it will run? I'm seriously considering picking up that Asus i7 laptop which has it. I'm not planning on using it for gaming primarly but if I would want to play anything on it, it would be SC2.

Trasher

Freakinchair said:
Yep - All my friends in the beta got their invites this morning. One of them sent me one and the key is invalid. Im pretty sure the problem is pretty widespread at this point - really hope they get it fixed for today because I REALLY wanted to play some fucking Starcraft 2!
Mine worked just now. Was invalid all this morning, but it went through finally. :lol

I AM IN

Wedge7

Fuck yea, thank you Blizzard Invite a friend thingy.

An old buddy from high school just hooked me up, thank you dude.

Lets see just how good/bad the competition is. Very curious to see how I match up.

Milabrega

TheExodu5 got a one month ban for openly admitting to trolling FF13 in some thread. I think he has a little over a week left. FromtheFuture, Trasher and anyone else be sure to post your battle.net ID in the ____.____ format so I can add ya to the list. If anyone is hopping on soon be sure to add me Milabrega.Mila and post here, only person I saw on was Nildog who was in a game so I logged off.

Milabrega said:
FromtheFuture, Trasher and anyone else be sure to post your battle.net ID in the ____.____ format so I can add ya to the list. If anyone is hopping on soon be sure to add me Milabrega.Mila and post here, only person I saw on was Nildog who was in a game so I logged off.
Keep in mind - our friends lists and stats will soon be trashed and we'll have to start over and add everyone again.

Milabrega

The Lamonster said:
Keep in mind - our friends lists and stats will soon be trashed and we'll have to start over and add everyone again.

Yeah well that doesn't prevent us from playing games before then. It will be a nightmare after if everyone changes their battle.net ID's though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
snack said:
So for those people that were invited by their friends, do they have any invites to give away too?

I'm seeing nothing in my e-mail inbox.

Trasher

hobart said:
Trash you running it thru Bootcamp? or do you have a PC handy as well?
I actually have Parallels. Got it for free when I got my Macbook. Right now I'm gonna run it on a PC though because I'm actually still waiting for my copy of Windows 7 to come in haha.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Still think the mothership needs a slight nerf. You shouldn't be allowed to get something that potent in under 6 minutes.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ahoyhoy said:
Still think the mothership needs a slight nerf. You shouldn't be allowed to get something that potent in under 6 minutes.

If they're speeding towards mothership, they're vunerable that entire time. They have to build 4 major tech buildings before it unlocks.

Yaweee

Pandaman said:
i have good news.

check your pm's

I thought you were using "your" as plural =(

Oh well, hopefully an RL friend of mine delivers. He lives too far away for me to continually mooch using his account. My 1v1s on his account were... not good. I randomed Protoss both times and was completely hopeless; crushed by MMM.

Milabrega said:
Yeah well that doesn't prevent us from playing games before then. It will be a nightmare after if everyone changes their battle.net ID's though.
Oh shit. I hope they don't give the option to change user ID's!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Yaweee said:
I thought you were using "your" as plural =(

Oh well, hopefully an RL friend of mine delivers. He lives too far away for me to continually mooch using his account. My 1v1s on his account were... not good.
sorry, but i was giving it to the first one who responded. :( i hope you get a key, if not you and neo are the next two i want to help.

then ahoyhoy because he made me feel bad. ;_;

WOOOO, I am in! Friend keys have gone up for the US!

Is there a list of active players to add? Besides turtle? Lol

Also, what's a good site for actual SC2 replay files?

Top Bottom