• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
Zzorram is now in the Beta.. :)

Thanks to my friend invite.
He has a lot of post activity in this thread so I know he will be active - So yay!

From Blizz CM on Bnet forum regarding invalid key on friend keys.

You will be the first friend on my list :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
we should start posting up some gaf replays to share actually.

@ter: whats the problem? [are you using the cracked version that skips the loginscreen? if so you'll have to reinstall]

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I am still looking for some help on the Official Thread. Really could use somebody who's good with Photoshop.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just saw a replay with mass Brood Lords...

I for one welcome our new Heavy Zerg air overlords. Really what the Zerg needed in the end-game.

Friend invite GET

Freakinchair.smash <- add me to the list of players as I will be playing alot :D

Gonna start adding gaffers to my friends list, looking forward to 2v2 in houses and the eventual 3v3 and 4v4!

geeko

Meh, I didn't get my key with this wave. I have my doubts that I'm even going to get in. Blizzard why must you hold that beta right out of my finger tips. It's so close and yet so far.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
My 12 win streak in 2v2 with my brother finally came to an end lol. Had a rematch with another pair and they knew my brother would tech up to x2 Void rays again and countered it. I'm surprise that strategy worked so well but I'm sure it will be a different story as we progress in Silver league. So many zerg/protoss players in copper league sticks to tier 1 units :lol

hobart

Trasher said:
I actually have Parallels. Got it for free when I got my Macbook. Right now I'm gonna run it on a PC though because I'm actually still waiting for my copy of Windows 7 to come in haha.

I've still never run Parallels. I'm not sure how I'd expect it to work on gaming tho. I've run multiple games thru Bootcamp with no issues tho.

Regardless... I'm pretty confident I'll be seeing a Beta Key when Mac Beta goes live. Sure... I have to wait until April... but that's right around my birthday so it'll be a nice birthday gift, no?

IceMarker

For some reason when I try to enter my Character name it won't except it or any variation...

I've tried MrMister, MrMisterBN, MrMisterSC, MrMisterLive, and MrMisterx and none of them will take!

Argh I wanna play but it won't let me pick any name!

IceMarker

It was a pain in the ass, and I didn't like it, but I got a name, I have no idea why it wouldn't except the dozens of others I put in, it just didn't like MrMister as a starter for the name.

My name is SCMrMister.scmrmister

That'll hopefully change after the beta wipe and retail release.

Zzoram

I won my first placement match. It was pretty easy, the guy stayed on 1 base and only had 11 scvs.

When first starting, I picked Experienced (it lets you pick New Player, Experienced, Veteran). I wonder how that affects who you get matched against in placement.

Oddly enough, during the loading screen, it said I was favoured when it was my first placement match, so I guess that other guy must've picked New Player.

I'm zzoram.zzoram btw.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Zzoram said:
I won my first placement match. It was pretty easy, the guy stayed on 1 base and only had 11 scvs.

When first starting, I picked Experienced (it lets you pick New Player, Experienced, Veteran). I wonder how that affects who you get matched against in placement.

Oddly enough, during the loading screen, it said I was favoured when it was my first placement match, so I guess that other guy must've picked New Player.

I'm zzoram.zzoram btw.
I had the same thing for my first game.

What race you picking? Also I went 7-0 (6 were super easy) then lost the last 3 to gold players.

Zzoram

I got randomly kicked, said there was an interruption to bnet or something. I was idle for a few minutes, maybe that's why I got logged out.

2-0 placement, did terran game1 then random(protoss) game2.

Zzoram

Something I noticed that's a big change from Broodwar:

units clump together really tightly

That's dangerous, especially if you have all your units in 1 control group, because it makes you more vulnerable to AOE attacks. That is one place where micro can clearly help out.

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
Something I noticed that's a big change from Broodwar:

units clump together really tightly

That's dangerous, especially if you have all your units in 1 control group, because it makes you more vulnerable to AOE attacks. That is one place where micro can clearly help out.

Would it go against the idea of StarCraft to have there be formations for your groups? You know, like a tight circle, a looser one, and a straight line, etc...

It would certainly make blocking off areas easier with a large or small group of units, and have the options to have a more oval, less condensed ball of marines would have advantages and disadvantages from the circular, tighter one,

Yaweee

Minsc said:
Would it go against the idea of StarCraft to have there be formations for your groups? You know, like a tight circle, a looser one, and a straight line, etc...

It would certainly make blocking off areas easier with a large or small group of units, and have the options to have a more oval, less condensed ball of marines would have advantages and disadvantages from the circular, tighter one,

I don't think it would go against any "idea" of Starcraft, but it would be difficult to implement in any simple way that still made sense. Warcraft 3 had a simple Formation On/Off command, and each unit would stand in a row that made sense, with movement speed adjusted (slowed) to keep them roughly in that same formation-- gunners behind footmen, priests behind gunners, that sort of thing. How you'd come up with such a hierarchy for Starcraft 2's units is beyond me.

Trasher

Wow, these first five matches have to be played this slow? Ugh. And there are tons of rocks blocking everything. Didn't know they did that for these first five games. Just beat some kid who only made 12 workers all game with my fleet of carriers. Made me feel bad. :(

Zzoram

Trasher said:
Wow, these first five matches have to be played this slow? Ugh. And there are tons of rocks blocking everything. Didn't know they did that for these first five games. Just beat some kid who only made 12 workers all game with my fleet of carriers. Made me feel bad. :(

Did you pick "New Player"? I picked Experienced, and my first 4 placement matches have been on Fastest. They are also getting progressively harder, a sign that the matchmaking system seems to work pretty well in gauging skill.

Milabrega

Trasher said:

You are doing the 5 practice matches, those are slowed down and played on the Novice maps. The next ten are the placement qualifiers. I made that mistake first time too, but I can see why a lot of people would want to play those practice matches.

Sickafant

Does anyone know if the user name will be kept from beta to retail? My brother setup the account with his handle so I was hoping it wouldn't be permanent.

Sickafant said:
Does anyone know if the user name will be kept from beta to retail? My brother setup the account with his handle so I was hoping it wouldn't be permanent.
They're wiping the whole thing soon and starting over anyway.

Trasher

Milabrega said:
You are doing the 5 practice matches, those are slowed down and played on the Novice maps. The next ten are the placement qualifiers. I made that mistake first time too, but I can see why a lot of people would want to play those practice matches.
Haha yeah I figured that is why it was slower. I got confused though and thought the practice matches were the placement matches so I chose to play them. Good news then. I didn't want to play my placement matches at this terrible game speed. All these rocks blocking everything is quite annoying, but makes it easy to tech up haha. I just lost my second practice game to some dude who said he was high on the ladders for SC1. Nice guy at least!

Zzoram said:
Did you pick "New Player"? I picked Experienced, and my first 4 placement matches have been on Fastest. They are also getting progressively harder, a sign that the matchmaking system seems to work pretty well in gauging skill.
Yeah I picked "new player" thinking I would rather learn the binds and basics against people rather than computers.

remz

Milabrega said:
We'll know in about a week. They are doing a full beta reset to simulate game launch.
Ah, interesting. Are they bringing anymore people in or is this just dealing with the last wave?

hmm, so super envious of everyone in the beta, been playing SC1 flat out recently

Mudkips

Banned
Yaweee said:
I don't think it would go against any "idea" of Starcraft, but it would be difficult to implement in any simple way that still made sense. Warcraft 3 had a simple Formation On/Off command, and each unit would stand in a row that made sense, with movement speed adjusted (slowed) to keep them roughly in that same formation-- gunners behind footmen, priests behind gunners, that sort of thing. How you'd come up with such a hierarchy for Starcraft 2's units is beyond me.

Speed matching is brain-dead simple. It's been done in countless RTS games, and done well.

The fact that SC2 doesn't even have a simple function to slow a group of units to the speed of the slowest unit in the selection pisses me off. I hate sending in Hellions in with anything because I have to micromanage a simple move command. I should be able to tell the group to attack move to a position, but to do so at a speed that allows the Marauders to keep up.

Actual formation movement isn't too hard to implement either. This has also been done in plenty of games. I would love to have them both, but I seriously doubt we'll see either in SC II.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so i was watching this guy play the beta and when he was adjusting his shaders it said:

"your shader values are not all the same..." (or something like that) "...extra configuration is needed so your next few games may run slower".

so after couple games will the performance get significantly better?

Top Bottom