• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Aedile

Take heart, people.

SC2 Beta FAQ said:
Having more than one game attached to an account or having specific games attached to an account will not affect your chances to be selected.

Unless, unlike myself, you didn't buy the cheapest piece of software from the Blizzard Store in order to sign up for beta. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
they're choosing based on system specs and location, I believe, not linked games

coopolon

GregLombardi said:
I wonder, is the beta attached to the system settings that you submitted?

Presumably they are going to pick a selection of hardware profiles, so yes, I'd assume it is exclusively based on the system settings. They'll pick some low end, mid, high end, etc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
as a super-Blizzard fan who has only played one Blizzard game, Starcraft (which I bought and played for the first time in Battle-Chest-form a few months ago), the lack of beta key just eats away at my very core.

(Three) Months of dedication, all for nothing.

coopolon said:
Presumably they are going to pick a selection of hardware profiles, so yes, I'd assume it is exclusively based on the system settings. They'll pick some low end, mid, high end, etc.
Well my question is more the following:

Could you play in the beta if you were selected but submitted different system specs when you updated your battle.net account? One of my friends just told me he got an invite but he JUST, last WEEK, built a new comp and now has a beta key. He's worried he can't play it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
GregLombardi said:

Could you play in the beta if you were selected but submitted different system specs when you updated your battle.net account? One of my friends just told me he got an invite but he JUST, last WEEK, built a new comp and now has a beta key. He's worried he can't play it.
he'll be fine, they're not going to revoke his invite because he updated his system

coopolon

GregLombardi said:

Not knowing anything more then anyone else, I highly doubt it. IT just seems like it would be way more work then it is worth to police that.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
The Lamonster said:
haha quite the sense of entitlement here
No. I'm the god damn kid on Christmas who gets a coupon for a colonoscopy while everybody else gets new video games. Then the grownups put my spam dinner in a dog bowl and laugh at me while they all sit and eat a nice turkey dinner. That's what this feels like.

Rez said:
as a super-Blizzard fan who has only played one Blizzard game, Starcraft (which I bought and played for the first time in Battle-Chest-form a few months ago), the lack of beta key just eats away at my very core.

(Three) Months of dedication, all for nothing.
So you're saying your time spent playing StarCraft was all for nothing? Last I checked, it was a game, meant to be played in hopes of having fun. My time with the game was amazing.

Spider from Mars said:
No. I'm the god damn kid on Christmas who gets a coupon for a colonoscopy while everybody else gets new video games. Then the grownups put my spam dinner in a dog bowl and laugh at me while they all sit and eat a nice turkey dinner. That's what this feels like.
...but i like spam

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Lamonster said:
So you're saying your time spent playing StarCraft was all for nothing? Last I checked, it was a game, meant to be played in hopes of having fun. My time with the game was amazing.
i wouldn't have described my above post as subtle, but there you go

Crisco

Banned
No one should be bummed or disappointed. I didn't get in, it sucks but who cares, the effing Starcraft 2 beta finally started! Besides, with all the live streams people do these days, this won't be as painful as previous Blizzard betas.

Pooya

@Those who got in, Can you guys take some screenshots from options/settings? I want to see what video/audio options are in there, is there 5.1 support? etc thanks in advance.

So many newbie streams out there.

Not that not everybody should be able to enjoy the game, but the beta kinda is for balance testing.

Grmbl, I'm just jealous :lol

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Milpool said:
Me too, you've made a powerful enemy.
Noooooo!

Wait, I'll send in the Zerg rush, kekekekekekeke!
DieH@rd said:
Are they inviting Europe, or just USA?
I'll say again. I am in the UK, I am in, make of this what you will.
InsertCredit said:
So many newbie streams out there.

Not that not everybody should be able to enjoy the game, but the beta kinda is for balance testing.

Grmbl, I'm just jealous :lol
It's also a performance test etc. Also remember that balancing solely for the 5-10% that makes up the elite will not only alienate the rest of the player base, but in the end will backfire. I say this an a CS elitist (And thus, part of the problem) and I saw how destructive that community was when it came to liaisons with Valve.
miladesn said:
@Those who got in, Can you guys take some screenshots from options/settings? I want to see what video/audio options are in there, is there 5.1 support? etc thanks in advance.
The NDAs, they burn. Sorry.

Stop It said:
[...]

It's also a performance test etc. Also remember that balancing solely for the 5-10% that makes up the elite will not only alienate the rest of the player base, but in the end will backfire. I say this an a CS elitist (And thus, part of the problem) and I saw how destructive that community was when it came to liaisons with Valve.

[...]
You're right of course. Still it irks seeing your future competitors getting a head start :lol.

Stop It

TheExodu5 said:
There is no NDA.
Really? And here's me thinking it would be the standard CB "Don't show anything, ever" sort of thing, especially considering it is Blizzard.

I'm just going to double check, but if I'm clear, I'll post away.

Edit: Standard Closed Beta NDA in the in game EULA, confidentiality on anything not already released publicly by Blizzard.

coopolon

Stop It said:
Noooooo!

Wait, I'll send in the Zerg rush, kekekekekekeke!

I'll say again. I am in the UK, I am in, make of this what you will.

The NDAs, they burn. Sorry.

Didn't they explicitly state you can post whatever you want? Someone quoted it earlier in this thread.

Stop It

coopolon said:
Didn't they explicitly state you can post whatever you want? Someone quoted it earlier in this thread.
Well, I'm going by the agreement that I have just read in game. It is rather explicit, just like they always are so I am not going to take any chances.
traveler said:
Oh. That's nice.

It auto detected my resolution, which is a good start. Fraps going on.

Stop It

miladesn said:
Video Settings:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC2 Settings.jpg

Audio Settings:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stopit.tidyup/SC2Audio.jpg

So yes, 5.1, 7.1, Pro Logic support is all there. The system auto detected my system and actually set everything to full, that is VERY rare, as games usually are quite conservative when it comes to settings.

Top Bottom