• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ashhong

Yaweee said:
No, they were completely separate. First was an online order through Gamestop.com, and. The only possibility is that if my in-store and rarely used online account were somehow linked. Would they automatically do that through telephone number? The receipt says nothing at all about an online order.

i would think so. i used to work there and this online code thing is pretty new. i have no idea how they are linked to the online reserve system because it just wasnt possible back in the day. i am only led to think that it uses your phone number. did you choose "in store pickup" for your online order?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hari Seldon said:
Any n00bie tutorials out there?

EDIT: Actually what is the suggested learning path? Just get butt kicked for a while, then watch replays?
Learn hotkeys, unit abilities, get a feel of timings.

Watch some reps, learn a build order, work on macro.

IceMarker

Just got my extra key from GameStop in the email, this DOES mean that anyone who pre-ordered BEFORE the promotion will get a key, even if you did the $75 coupon for the CE. :D

Will be going to my friend.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Hari Seldon said:
Any n00bie tutorials out there?

EDIT: Actually what is the suggested learning path? Just get butt kicked for a while, then watch replays?
watch youtube videos. Pick a race and learn strategy slowly. Practice against AI for just learning keys/buildtimes but not actual micro. Then just dive in.

survivor

Banned
Canada GAF, SC2 at Gamestop is for 69.99 but when I checked Future Shop, it was still for 59.99. Do you guys think Future Shop will jack up the prices by release date or not? Cause extra ten dollars isn't worth it for the beta when the game is coming out very soon.

Minsc

Gold Member
survivor said:
Canada GAF, SC2 at Gamestop is for 69.99 but when I checked Future Shop, it was still for 59.99. Do you guys think Future Shop will jack up the prices by release date or not? Cause extra ten dollars isn't worth it for the beta when the game is coming out very soon.

I think the release is further than we think... June is very optimistic, we'll see. I'm thinking end of August, it sounded like they had a lot of work to do on the campaign a month ago when they talked about it.

MrMister said:
Butt-kicking for goodness?

Butt-kicking for goodness!

Chris R

Hazaro said:
Learn hotkeys, unit abilities, get a feel of timings.

Watch some reps, learn a build order, work on macro.
This! Hot keys are so damn important.
Speaking of hotkeys, I'm still having a bitch of a time trying to proxy in mass units from warpgates with a warp prism :(

Also I'd suggest subscribing to HDStarcraft or HuskyStarcraft. Both have great videos, and provide pretty decent commentary IMO.

Aesthet1c

Ashhong said:
how? still no option on my page..

You may have to call them to cancel it. I reserved C&C4, and that had the same deal (Pre-orders get a beta key but you are not allowed to cancel). Well I decided to cancel, I called up the 800 number on their site and the guy I spoke with didn't give me any kind of grief.

Ashhong

what are you having trouble with regarding the warp prism?

Aesthet1c said:
You may have to call them to cancel it. I reserved C&C4, and that had the same deal (Pre-orders get a beta key but you are not allowed to cancel). Well I decided to cancel, I called up the 800 number on their site and the guy I spoke with didn't give me any kind of grief.

did you cancel CC4 after getting the beta key?

Aesthet1c

Ashhong said:
did you cancel CC4 after getting the beta key?

Yeah. I played in the beta for like 2 weeks. Then it turned out I didn't have enough money for all the awesome games coming out in March, so C&C4 got the cut.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Procarbine said:
I tried to to tricky in game 1 and he called me on it.
Looks like you psyched yourself out both games.

First was not FEing when there wasn't much happening, second was having less workers than Alum despite having two bases.

DaveKap

Banned
Has anyone started up a bitching/moaning conversation about the fact that the we won't be able to upload Galaxy Editor maps to B.net 2.0 during beta? Cuz I just found out and damned if I no longer care about being in the beta. :(

Exhumed

Well placed my order with the 25OFF deal and I put in my credit card information and it says TOTAL: $89.00. Well after I click confirm the confirmation page says 117.00 and im like WTF. So i call them up and cancel my order. Their excuse is its a website error and they would not give me any promotion for their mistake on their system. Its borderline FRAUD if they charge a different amount than what is advertised. Guy didnt give me any grief so I am going to drive my ass over to the store and pre-order for $5. Wish me luck GAF!

Yaweee

Okay, somebody needs to sit down and explain zerg to me. I've played as them ~ 10 times and listened to you guys talk about it a ton, but I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. What units are good, and how many are necessary? Build orders? I don't understand!

Olivero

I just went to play broodwar for a few hours. This waiting is driving me insane and BW didn't help me out any. I'm officially 0-13. I seriously shouldn't be playing this game.

Zabka

Exhumed said:
Well placed my order with the 25OFF deal and I put in my credit card information and it says TOTAL: $89.00. Well after I click confirm the confirmation page says 117.00 and im like WTF. So i call them up and cancel my order. Their excuse is its a website error and they would not give me any promotion for their mistake on their system. Its borderline FRAUD if they charge a different amount than what is advertised. Guy didnt give me any grief so I am going to drive my ass over to the store and pre-order for $5. Wish me luck GAF!
The free 3-day shipping deal can negate the $25 off deal.

Ashhong

Zabka said:
The free 3-day shipping deal can negate the $25 off deal.

maybe, but i just called them and they applied 3 day shipping to my order. i was only able to get 5 day shipping originally, but its all good now.

Pachinko

Yaweee said:
Okay, somebody needs to sit down and explain zerg to me. I've played as them ~ 10 times and listened to you guys talk about it a ton, but I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing. What units are good, and how many are necessary? Build orders? I don't understand!

Okay, I suck at the game but something that is helping me is completing the single player portion of a game I've owned for a decade.

The first starcraft. The second game is a faster paced different sort of beast but without any real way to learn the ins and outs of units you pretty well , playing through the first game is your best bet. I too felt the zerg to be to overwhelmingly different from Terran to really get a feel for how to properly utilize their forces.

I'm still not quite done with the game obviously (I'm on zerg mission 8 at the moment) but what I have learned in SC1 transfers into SC2 quite readily, the basic units are still mostly the same across both games or at least in SC2 there is something that's a replacement.

At the rate I'm going I'm no longer sure I'll have the SC1 campaign finished in time to really dig into zerg/'toss more in the SC2 beta but yeah, learn the basics in the first game, I'd say finishing up to mission 4 bare minimum.

Corran Horn

SC2 froze my comp...restart and computer is all dimmed...like on power saver mode. Restarted again and its fine...but now I cant log into battle.net....DAMN YOU BLIZZARD! :lol

Yaweee

Pachinko said:
Okay, I suck at the game but something that is helping me is completing the single player portion of a game I've owned for a decade.

The first starcraft. The second game is a faster paced different sort of beast but without any real way to learn the ins and outs of units you pretty well , playing through the first game is your best bet. I too felt the zerg to be to overwhelmingly different from Terran to really get a feel for how to properly utilize their forces.

I'm still not quite done with the game obviously (I'm on zerg mission 8 at the moment) but what I have learned in SC1 transfers into SC2 quite readily, the basic units are still mostly the same across both games or at least in SC2 there is something that's a replacement.

At the rate I'm going I'm no longer sure I'll have the SC1 campaign finished in time to really dig into zerg/'toss more in the SC2 beta but yeah, learn the basics in the first game, I'd say finishing up to mission 4 bare minimum.

Oh, I've played all of Starcraft 1, and was pretty good online. It's just that zerg feel completely foreign to me now, unlike the other two races.

1v1, if it matters.

delirium

Exhumed said:
WTF, same thing just happened to me. I'm going to call them up for this.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Halycon said:
Looks like you psyched yourself out both games.

First was not FEing when there wasn't much happening, second was having less workers than Alum despite having two bases.

I think I'm just having an off day, I was bad at SF today as well, and didn't play well against Panda warming up.

EDIT: I also fucked up when I was grilling today, off on all accords.

IceMarker

Corran Horn said:
SC2 froze my comp...restart and computer is all dimmed...like on power saver mode. Restarted again and its fine...but now I cant log into battle.net....DAMN YOU BLIZZARD! :lol
Happened on my second computer after my friend tried to log-in just now, restarted and we had to try several times to log back in to Battle.net.

Corran Horn

No idea if this is fake...but from battle.net forum link i posted above. Comes from people who are said to be legit

lava.png

med_gallery_35514_114_78931.jpg

randomunits.png

Apath

That looks like a modified WC3 World Editor. UI and many of the buttons are exactly the same.

It could go either way TBH. WC3's editor got the job done really well, so it would be the next logical step to have the World Editor with increased functionality. On the other hand, being so similar to the World Editor means it was really easy to fake.

Here is what the Warcraft III World Editor looks like:
2b9kzc.jpg

2006we1.jpg

3127ayd.jpg

gillFTR

Gamestop in canada just wasted my fucking time im so angry...I call and ask if they have sc2 beta keys they she says yah, I ask her do you guys only have limited codes, which to she replied about 20 of them. What she forgets to mention on the phone was that they were only giving to them to people that pre ordered first....So they wasted about a hour of my time and heres the kicker they still expected me to pre order without a incentive, giving me reasons as its a "popular game"...wtf does that mean(Im not going to get a copy of sc2 on release day if I dont pre order). Second reason was the best midnight release. At this time im about to pay someone else for their gamestop cd key.

Setreal

Kenak said:
That looks like a modified WC3 World Editor. UI and many of the buttons are exactly the same.

It could go either way TBH. WC3's editor got the job done really well, so it would be the next logical step to have the World Editor with increased functionality. On the other hand, being so similar to the World Editor means it was really easy to fake.

Here is what the Warcraft III World Editor looks like:

I agree. It's pretty suspicious that these pictures look almost completely identical to the Warcraft 3 editor. I would presume there would be some kind of update in the UI after all this time.

IceMarker

I bet they didn't update the UI too much for those map makers who are transferring over from SC1/WC3 so they can get used to the new tools much more quickly. I call it a smart move as I'd rather just have an upgraded version of existing tools.

nah theres a youtube video with dustin browder that checks out some guy using the editor looks rather different from that lame screenshot. fake i say.

Top Bottom