• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

msv

Y-Z said:
So is EU reset propably yet? Im tired of playing the same games over and over without end results.
Nah, just seems to be getting worse. Now are not only my stats + fl are gone every time I log in, but it's referring to profiles that aren't mine as well.

Cmooon Bliz, just do the big reset already, get this over with.

msv said:
That's me! You EU?

Post if you're EU or US people! You can't add anyone from the other siideee.

edit: When's this resetting biznich going to be over with? My friendslist n placements just keep getting reset and reset.
oh. i'm from US.

Just went to the Gamestop across the street from work and plunked down my $5 pre-order, and got the beta code printed on my receipt. Hopefully the beta will last for at least another couple of weeks and not end in 4 or 5 days. :lol

The guy working said they just got an email this morning informing employees about the promotion.

fanboi

Banned
blurredvision said:
Just went to the Gamestop across the street from work and plunked down my $5 pre-order, and got the beta code printed on my receipt. Hopefully the beta will last for at least another couple of weeks and not end in 4 or 5 days. :lol

The guy working said they just got an email this morning informing employees about the promotion.

It will be live for many more weeks, since they haven't tried 3v3 or 4v4 OR even released the MAC beta...

Ashhong said:
.....i didnt even think of that. that would be unacceptable for it to just be automatically be tied to my account. oh please come on some card in the box...
I think there's bugger all chance of it being merely printed on a card.

Blizzard knows that they will be flipped on eBay if people are given the chance. That's cash to sellers that Blizzard could be getting themselves. They also then control the price of the pet, rather than letting it go wild.

Could be proven wrong in the end, but I very much doubt it.

I can't believe someone hasn't made a thread about this. You can get a beta key with a few clicks of your mouse, more people need to know about this! :D

Is there any option to deliver on the same day as release like amazon? I added gran turismo 3 for 2$ and with overnight shipping it costs 91$ sweet deal but I want to play on release day and not a day later.

DemiMatt

tonight will be a clusterfuck trying to get on bnet with all the new people and ladder reset and new patch *sighhh*

Do not want to play anymore since it is widely available!

GregLombardi said:
I can't believe someone hasn't made a thread about this. You can get a beta key with a few clicks of your mouse, more people need to know about this! :D

Careful though, it says specifically that you can't cancel your pre-order once you have the key. I know pretty much anybody wanting in on the beta will buy the game, but some people might rather buy it locally then wait for it to ship through the mail.

fanboi said:
It will be live for many more weeks, since they haven't tried 3v3 or 4v4 OR even released the MAC beta...

You're possibly right. It shows on my receipt that the code expires on 05/31. Could just be a generic date, but since the code goes directly through Blizzard and doesn't touch Gamestop at all, maybe it means something.

blurredvision said:
Careful though, it says specifically that you can't cancel your pre-order once you have the key. I know pretty much anybody wanting in on the beta will buy the game, but some people might rather buy it locally then wait for it to ship through the mail.
Yeah, I was pretty much figuring that anyone who would do this was going to buy the game anyway.

Ashhong

blurredvision said:

you can return the game after you receive it to any gamestop. no risk!

Minsc

Gold Member
DemiMatt said:
I liked it better when it was a closed beta instead of (for the most part an open beta)

:p

Since you're matched by skill, it shouldn't make any difference if there is 10,000 or 10,000,000 players though! Just as long as there are players to play against from a similar skill level, how would you even know the difference?

Besides, it's not like everyone is going to run out and pre-order at Gamestop, though I'm curious to see if the active player count goes up any more than a normal wave of beta invites, could be the first time it breaks 10,000 by a good margin.

Calantus

Just order the collectors edition, giving the beta code to a friend so we can 2v2. Gonna be fun.

I've already played a crap load of people that seem to have just got their beta key. Roflstomped 12 guys today. Feels good man.

nilbog21

Banned
So let me get this straight; I should preorder offline because I won't be able to play day 1 at retail if i order it online (for the 3 days of shipping)? I assume the CD-key they will provide with the gamebox will be different than the key they give you for preordering?

also does the discount code only work online? D:

Calantus

nilbog21 said:
So let me get this straight; I should preorder offline because I won't be able to play day 1 at retail if i order it online (for the 3 days of shipping)? I assume the CD-key they will provide with the gamebox will be different than the key they give you for preordering?

also does the discount code only work online? D:

I just got one day shipping, still saved money, around 10 dollars of saving.

Corum

nilbog21 said:
Don't you need to preorder (which you can't cancel) to receive a beta key? I assume they need a credit card or something?

If you go to a store I think you can just pre-order, without giving your credit card details, for $5.

xero273

nilbog21 said:
Don't you need to preorder (which you can't cancel) to receive a beta key? I assume they need a credit card or something?

For online, you can't cancel once you get beta key. According to someone here, you can return the copy you get to the store for a refund if you want.

KaYotiX

Banned
Ashhong said:
yea dude, code: 25OFF for 25% off orders over 100. i added a 10$ gift card as a filler, total was 91.55 - 10$ gift card = 81.55, shipped. i cant imagine amazon or anyone else having it for cheaper...

Should of added a .99 filler instead. :D Not sure what im gonna do with a copy of Madden 07 on the Gamecube now LOL

btkadams

has anyone in canada confirmed whether we get the gamestop/ebgames beta promotion as well? id definitely go preorder (first time in years).

Exhumed

Oh man, so doing this tonight!!! I haven't been this stoked in quite awhile.

Question though, if I preorder online (I've never pre-ordered online before) do I have to pay full price up front? If so, I will have to drive over to a gamestop after work.

xero273

Exhumed said:
Oh man, so doing this tonight!!! I haven't been this stoked in quite awhile.

Question though, if I preorder online (I've never pre-ordered online before) do I have to pay full price up front? If so, I will have to drive over to a gamestop after work.

You pay full price for online. You have two option for online though. You can have them email your beta code which takes 1 business day. The other option is if you do in-store pickup for the game, you have to wait 24 hrs and then go to store to get beta code.

Procarbine said:
Statements made about delaying queens and whatnot is wrong, I build my first queen as soon as the pool finishes, she comes out at 4:00.

Of course I don't do this all the time, I either scout at 10 or 13 (as I throw down the spawning pool) if I feel like anything cheesy is going on, I won't expand but otherwise I will. You probably underestimate how easy it is for zerglings and queens to defend expansions and how quickly zerg can rebuild. It takes pretty much an all-in attack or a cheese to beat my expansion, disregarding reaper nonsense. My first zerglings come out 4:35-4:40, and based on what I scout I can just pump straight lings or spend a little more on eco before going. Either way, the additional queen/hatch + eco overrides anything I give up early on.

I'm sure you've watched lots of gameplay, and nearly every high level zerg you see takes a very fast expansion.

I never really said anything about delaying queen though. When you said you expanded before pool was done, the point there is that you havent even been able to begin producing a queen and she takes a good chunk of time. You also couldnt have started zerglings then either.

Early expanding is fine but the pool should be top priority precisely because it allows you your first possible defensive units. In your example, you will have spent at a bare minimum your first 500 minerals on a pool and a hatchery, and then that would have only been minimum if you had 6 gatherers, at which point youve spent the first 4 minutes or more only gathering with 6 then 5 then 4 workers. If you built them with bought drones then youll have spent 600 minerals and have had only 6 workers after building the two buildings gathering. If you even consider building an extractor you're down to 5.

So then let's say you built more workers and an overlord at 10. Well now you're up to 600 for the buildings and by ten workers that'll be an extra 200 minerals and the overlord is 100. At that point you'll either build more workers or save up money to wait for the pool to be done but regardless if you decide to gather at a ten worker rate and dont want to be supply blocked youll have spent a grand total of 900 (+75 if you have an extractor) before you have built any defensive units whatsoever if you built as you said, a hatchery before pool was done.

I'm getting way too involved with this but suffice it to say my point is that if you try to expand that quickly you are as vulnerable early game as any race could probably be. Compound that by the fact that zerg has to mix worker production with defensive production and you're even more vulnerable.

It's a moot point if you think you have successfully defended against early rushes building like that. So you killed some reaper rushes maybe? Well the guy probably wasnt controlling the reaper well. A good player will 95% of the time he's sniping your stuff with one reaper not even be touched because they can outrun non-speedlings and besides you have none then anyway. Sure a queen is good defense, but expanding before pool is done, the pool isnt done and by the time you even get a queen out he will likely have 3 or more reapers who can kill her anyway with enough micro, and by that time he's justified the reaper cost by sniping likely 2 or 3 drones per reaper or even almost destroyed your spawning pool and now it's GG.

Again let me state for the record this is only in my limited experience, have you seen any top players successfully defend against early rush an expansion that's taken before spawning pool is done? How did they accomplish this? Did the terran hilariously get his quick reaper raped by a zergling or two?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
As a T I don't like Reapers in general and esp. not against Zerg. Lings on creep are pretty speedy and the queen is really damn annoying as well.

Top Bottom