• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Chris R

Ugh, why does it have to be gamestop that gets the beta codes, and not say Amazon :(

So close to actually pulling the trigger on the order, but they don't allow the 25OFF code any more it seems, then add that to the fact that the "3 day free shipping" doesn't work for Alaska :lol

If Amazon was doing this deal with pre-orders I'd probably pre-order the game, even though I wasn't sure I was going to get it before I was in the beta. Blizzard does make an attractive collectors edition, and there is no reason not to pick it up since they want to charge 60$ for the base game.

YakiSOBA

i got a beta key, installed the game, lost 4 in a row...

i dont remember sucking so badly in SC vanilla and SC BW :(

ps. terran music sux :(

pps. thor and battlecrusers take sOOOO much damage before they die its hilarious

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So how do you prevent MMM from wrecking your expansion again? Because I can't seem to do a damn thing against them except rush or turtle and wait for the inevitable.

mcrae

scoobs said:
holy cow... anyone else downloading this client and its taking 8 hours??

doesnt blizzards downloader use torrent technology?
and if a ton of people are just starting to download it now, from the gamestop coupons, it makes sense it would take extra long i guess.

scoobs

mcrae said:
doesnt blizzards downloader use torrent technology?
and if a ton of people are just starting to download it now, from the gamestop coupons, it makes sense it would take extra long i guess.
ah, good point. probably. Oh well when i get home from work tonight i'll be able to play!

Also, here are the results to Round 6's

Procarbine (Z) vs. Alumnus (P)

Winner:
Alumnus

Score:
Procarbine - 0 : 2 - Alumnus
Replay Pack: Procarbine v Alumnus

Game 1
Map: Steppes of War
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 2
Map: Lost Temple
Winner:
..... Alumnus .....

Game 3
Map: Blistering Sands
Winner:
... Anti Spoiler ...

eissan

Canadian EB's do have the codes but they have limited amounts. I just got one from a local eb. they just got their keys about 30 minutes ago and had about 20 to give away!

SO pumped! I am installing it but wont be able to play until I get home tonight :( (VPN connection home).

if you allow p2p connection in the blizzard downloader, it slows it down unless you get really good peer connections as im rather sure it disables the http download or hinders it. just do http if torrent wont go very fast.

Also, won and procarbine, I'm rather sure myself that I'm underestimating zerg FE. I actually realize now after the fact that reaper vs zerg has always been rather lulzworthy, its mainly effective against toss and ter. Anyone mind giving me a build order to muse over that is successful for FE or that a lot of pros use?

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Ice Monkey said:
if you allow p2p connection in the blizzard downloader, it slows it down unless you get really good peer connections as im rather sure it disables the http download or hinders it. just do http if torrent wont go very fast.

Also, won and procarbine, I'm rather sure myself that I'm underestimating zerg FE. I actually realize now after the fact that reaper vs zerg has always been rather lulzworthy, its mainly effective against toss and ter. Anyone mind giving me a build order to muse over that is successful for FE or that a lot of pros use?

I feel like you're under the impression that I 8 pool to hatch or something. No. 13 pool to 15 hatch, I lost game 1 to Alum because I didn't do it and tried to be sneaky instead, but my silly decisions and bad scouting are another story, the build is fine.

The reason you CAN do it is because putting down the hatch as the pool is going up really only hurts your drone count a little bit, not your defense. If you don't expand you're spending those minerals on an extra overlord and some drones, mostly waiting for larvae to pop and building up minerals to spam units once your queen gets rolling. Once the pool comes out you've got the option to spam zerglings if you have to, or build up your eco, as I've said before. Protoss can scout it as soon as you put it down and if they chrono their gateway and spam zealots on a map that isn't very close, as opposed to something like steppes, they won't beat it unless they proxy. More or less the same answer for terran.

Just pulling out a random video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk2DFYusGBI, this zerg expands around 20, but he spends the minerals before hand on eco, not defense, so it's a fair example. Look around, you'll find very very few 1 hatch builds from pros.

ahoyhoy said:
So how do you prevent MMM from wrecking your expansion again? Because I can't seem to do a damn thing against them except rush or turtle and wait for the inevitable.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these are the best counter-MMM strats per race:

Terran: Siege Tank or Seeker Missile
Zerg: Ultras or Banelings
Protoss: Psi Storm

You know, it's really funny how different actually playing it is compared to watching. I've watched countless games on youtube and always think "pft. can't believe he let that happen" Yet on my first couple games I fall to even simpler things :lol

Just had a player hide his probe in my base and do a proxy rush. Definitely should have known something was up since he didn't have a single zealot in his own base. Good thing the wipe is coming soon :D

celebi23

1z4v3oh.png

Thanks for the heads up about GameStop. Just got back :D Now just to wait until the Mac beta starts:lol

Sloegr

MeshuggahMan said:
You know, it's really funny how different actually playing it is compared to watching. I've watched countless games on youtube and always think "pft. can't believe he let that happen" Yet on my first couple games I fall to even simpler things :lol

Just had a player hide his probe in my base and do a proxy rush. Definitely should have known something was up since he didn't have a single zealot in his own base. Good thing the wipe is coming soon :D

It's like watching poker on TV. Every play is quite obvious when you can see the hole cards :D

Ashhong

yea, so since the codes print out on the receipt, i wont be able to get any members free codes or anything. but if you are willing to paypal me the money for it, i will go get like 2 today.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Insaniac said:
maybe reapers should hit Air, they'd be great against mutas

Terran already have plenty of counters against mutas. Mass marines, Missle Turrets, Thors, and Vikings.

Ashhong

ZealousD said:
Terran already have plenty of counters against mutas. Mass marines, Missle Turrets, Thors, and Vikings.

vikings are a good counter against muta? whenever i do mass muta vs mass vikings, it seems like the vikings die faster than i can focus attack

TUSR

Banned
Olivero said:
I hate you, also, how ironic will it be if we get Mac beta codes tomorrow?
I was under the impression there wasn't going to be a Mac beta. Cannot remember when I read, but someone from Blizzard commented on the issue.

Insaniac

ZealousD said:

i was just trying to think of a way to give reapers more of a use than just early harass

Yaweee

Since Gamestop.com isn't sending out codes, I went to store near work and ordered it, got a key, but now I can't cancel my online order despite NOT getting a key from it, at least yet. There's no option on the webpage, and all lines are busy at Gamestop so my call gets canceled.

Did anyone else get a second key? There's distinctly two sections on my receipt that say "your unique code is:", with both appearing to be SC2 keys (not trying the second one, as I don't want to use it up if it really is valid).

Ashhong

Yaweee said:
Since Gamestop.com isn't sending out codes, I went to store near work and ordered it, got a key, but now I can't cancel my online order despite NOT getting a key from it, at least yet. There's no option on the webpage, and all lines are busy at Gamestop so my call gets canceled.

gamestop will probably send it out later today or tomorrow, they said about 24 hours.

mine also has no cancel option though. although i was able to cancel my filler and keep the 25% off :

Yaweee said:

Did anyone else get a second key? There's distinctly two sections on my receipt that say "your unique code is:", with both appearing to be SC2 keys (not trying the second one, as I don't want to use it up if it really is valid).

did you do instore pickup? for instore pickup, you go to the store to pick up the key after purchase. if you also preordered another copy, maybe u got both of those keys?

YakiSOBA said:
i got a beta key, installed the game, lost 4 in a row...

i dont remember sucking so badly in SC vanilla and SC BW :(

ps. terran music sux :(

pps. thor and battlecrusers take sOOOO much damage before they die its hilarious

disagree, disagree and disagree.

Welcome to Beta. You are BOUND to SUCK for the first 20 games. During these suckage, watch and learn. I used to be decent in SC but SC2 whooped my ass back to stone age. Terran's music is fucking awesome and Thor/Battlecruiser ain't that special if you counter them well. They are awesome against low tier units but against mid/high tier, they aren't special.

Hoping to see you online soon! ;)

Hari Seldon

Just got back from gamestop. My backwoods out the way small ass gamestop had them, just 15 minutes ago, so I'm betting the beta keys are extremely plentiful. Blizzard must be in full out PR mode for an imminent release.

NeoUltima

Yaweee said:

Hmm that seems messed up. Yes, my order online can't be canceled either, even though my code has not been sent yet. Too bad... I could have canceled and begged you for your extra key :lol .

Yaweee

Ashhong said:
did you do instore pickup? for instore pickup, you go to the store to pick up the key after purchase. if you also preordered another copy, maybe u got both of those keys?

No, they were completely separate. First was an online order through Gamestop.com, and. The only possibility is that if my in-store and rarely used online account were somehow linked. Would they automatically do that through telephone number? The receipt says nothing at all about an online order.

Hari Seldon

Any n00bie tutorials out there?

EDIT: Actually what is the suggested learning path? Just get butt kicked for a while, then watch replays?

Top Bottom