• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Setreal

Milabrega said:
List of Gaf Members in Beta: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20461745&postcount=7361

If you want your name added to the list, Post your BNET name in the _____.____ Format. EU players please post EU next to the ___.___ so I can put you on the correct list.

Best strategy to grow your buddy list is to add the frequent posters in this thread, and then ask for an invite to the conversation. In the conversation window you can open the tab on the right wall to see the list of players. You can then Right click Add all the names you don't already have.

Setreal.tivrames US

However, with the way it keeps deleting my account who knows. Patch needs to come asap.

Willectro

Banned
2 questions:

Are the 'newbie' maps the only ones that have the blockages to avoid rushes / other strats?

Does anyone know if the map editor (that is supposed to be released soon) will allow people to make defense type maps?

Vague

raphier said:
In the first game Protoss was always More-By-Less kind of a race. Now it seems they want them all to be completelly equal or something. I just played my first game as a protoss and I don't know. They kind of feel....weird. Zealots are horrid. What happened to these killing a lot of zerglings! :( Now they die from a 6 pool and they're slower than a worker, holy shit.

Looking at the rest of the races It seems there's much more similarities between them in SC2 than in SC1. Kind of easier to hop in.

Uh. Zealots are stronger and Zerglings are weaker than in Broodwar. 1 Zealot can kill 2 zerglings easily (equal food cost) and can even kill 3 zerglings by himself. (100 mineral protoss vs 150 zerg) If your Zealots are getting killed by Zerglings you're just really slow at building them and probably have tons of money saved up. I three gate Zealot rush zerg on small maps and almost never get pushed out.

I play only Random and Protoss is by far the easiest race to rush and win with. I started off as Silver and worked my way up through Gold to #12 Platinum.

mcrae

will52 said:
2 questions:

Are the 'newbie' maps the only ones that have the blockages to avoid rushes / other strats?

Does anyone know if the map editor (that is supposed to be released soon) will allow people to make defense type maps?

yes, though the regular maps still have destructable rocks that block alternate routes/back doors, but its possible to go base to base without breaking them.

and yes, the map editor is not going to regress in functionality, cmon lol. :lol check out blizzcon 2009 videos... or maybe 2008... theres a cool one about the map editor's capabilities.

milabrega:
do you have to get re-added to 'the conversation' every time you sign into bnet?

Milabrega

will52 said:

Yes the Novice maps have extra boundaries to prevent rushes. Regular maps however, do have rock placements that open up other paths into bases. Of the current beta maps, Kulas, Steppes, Blistering Sands, Shakuras, Scrap Station and Desert Oasis all have some form of Rock Barrier to enter a backdoor, expansion, or open up a short cut.

mcrae said:
milabrega:
do you have to get re-added to 'the conversation' every time you sign into bnet?

Yes, the conversation isn't a chat channel in the way old BNET had chat channels. Its not static, meaning you can't just join one when its empty, you can't even select to join it at all. Someone in the conversation has to invite you in. To start one, you open a whisper box to someone on your buddy list, open the tab on the right and invite more people.

Are any of the new beta key users having connection issues with Battle.net? I can't seem to log-on in the game. The button to connect is grayed out and I can't get in. I downloaded the beta straight from Battle.net. Its the USA version too. Patched as well.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
can't wait for the mac beta, my bootcamp's days are numbered.
also am I the only one who feels like they enjoy watching commentaries on this game as much if not more than actually playing it? i think there is something wrong with me

MrCompletely said:
I would pre-order Amazon right now, but there's nothing about free release day shipping for prime members

yeah well get $4 one day shipping and be patient?!

GASP!

gamestop preorders are something like free 3 day shipping or something so be happy. :lol

Milabrega said:
List of Gaf Members in Beta: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20461745&postcount=7361

If you want your name added to the list, Post your BNET name in the _____.____ Format. EU players please post EU next to the ___.___ so I can put you on the correct list.

Best strategy to grow your buddy list is to add the frequent posters in this thread, and then ask for an invite to the conversation. In the conversation window you can open the tab on the right wall to see the list of players. You can then Right click Add all the names you don't already have.

Nice. Thanks Milabrega!

lol so many new players.....you think we're going to be insane and now that 4v4 is coming we'll have 4v4 games with 50 spectators just to outdo our 2v2 with 12 spectator insanity?

Ferrio

Banned
Ferrio.modzero

Also, damn I suck at this game. To be expected, haven't played SC in like 8 years. So far games have been me getting totally trounced, or having opponents that just got the game too and get totally dominated.

Also still trying to figure out what race I'll go with. Started with terran and played them all the games yesterday (they were my default in SCI), will try protoss next.

I think I'm settling in nicely with protoss. I just feel the most comfortable with them. Used to be a terran player and zerg just never quite clicked with me.. they are fun to play with though.

Ice Monkey said:
lol so many new players.....you think we're going to be insane and now that 4v4 is coming we'll have 4v4 games with 50 spectators just to outdo our 2v2 with 12 spectator insanity?

Sounds good to me!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
raphier said:
In the first game Protoss was always More-By-Less kind of a race. Now it seems they want them all to be completelly equal or something. I just played my first game as a protoss and I don't know. They kind of feel....weird. Zealots are horrid. What happened to these killing a lot of zerglings! :( Now they die from a 6 pool and they're slower than a worker, holy shit.

Looking at the rest of the races It seems there's much more similarities between them in SC2 than in SC1. Kind of easier to hop in.

I disagree about how Protoss seems less quality-over-quantity compared to SC1. I think it's the other way around. In SC1 you can largely get away with muscling your way in with large numbers of zealots and goons. In SC2 zealots get kited easily and stalkers feel weaker than their SC1 counterparts (at least before charge/blink upgrades), so you have to tech up to higher tiered units more quickly because you need Colossi, Immortals, Templars or Sentries to stand toe to toe with huge numerical advantages that the armies of other races may have.

Anyway I'm apparently in Silver league. I felt the same way as a lot of you guys when I was placed there but I've been winning my share of matches and apparently people aren't as super pro as the "silver" name might suggest. So I think it's safe to just let the matchmaking service do its thing and place you wherever it thinks you should go. It seems pretty reliable so far.

I don't have much time to play, but I'm Akuun.akuun if anyone wants to add me. Silver ranked protoss, terrible at every other race. :lol

Ri'Orius

Vague said:
Uh. Zealots are stronger and Zerglings are weaker than in Broodwar. 1 Zealot can kill 2 zerglings easily (equal food cost) and can even kill 3 zerglings by himself. (100 mineral protoss vs 150 zerg) If your Zealots are getting killed by Zerglings you're just really slow at building them and probably have tons of money saved up. I three gate Zealot rush zerg on small maps and almost never get pushed out.

Er, don't you get 2 lings for 50 mins and 1 food? Meaning that 1 Zeal vs 2 Lings is 100/2 vs 50/1? And 1 Zeal vs 3 Lings 100/2 vs 75/1.5?

4 lings = 1 zeal, at least in BW...

Just got the beta last night. Played a couple rounds against the computer; my macro is so bad. Kept missing CBs and pylons, etc. Need a few more rounds of practice, methinks.

Fixed1979

Terrible player looking for other terrible players. I downloaded last night, but didn't get a chance to play (GO CANUCKS!). I'll definately be putting some time into this though. Add me if you suck (Fixed.fixed).

Cheeto

Ri'Orius said:
Er, don't you get 2 lings for 50 mins and 1 food? Meaning that 1 Zeal vs 2 Lings is 100/2 vs 50/1? And 1 Zeal vs 3 Lings 100/2 vs 75/1.5?

Just got the beta last night. Played a couple rounds against the computer; my macro is so bad. Kept missing CBs and pylons, etc. Need a few more rounds of practice, methinks.
Pretty sure lings are 50 minerals for 2, and cost .5 supply each... so 4 lings should equal one zeal like in BW

Jokey665

Jokey.jokey

I got in yesterday, played my placement matches on 'new player,' and then it put me into more placement matches, only this time it's not on novice maps. Anyone know why that would happen, instead of just putting me in bronze or whatever?

Also, I'm fucking terrible, so if you are also and want to play, give me a message some time, lol.

Cheeto

Jokey665 said:
Jokey.jokey

I got in yesterday, played my placement matches on 'new player,' and then it put me into more placement matches, only this time it's not on novice maps. Anyone know why that would happen, instead of just putting me in bronze or whatever?

Also, I'm fucking terrible, so if you are also and want to play, give me a message some time, lol.
The first 5 matches you played were in the practice league... they are games played at slow speed and on novice maps so that people can learn. Once done with those you play your placement matches.

Calantus

Jokey665 said:
Jokey.jokey

The first five weren't placement, they were practice maps. I really don't see them as practice, they might be for someone who has never touched the game, but for someone whos played on faster, it's hard to play so slow.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Looks like shit just got real for this beta, although I think I'm going to miss how not-crowded this thread used to be.

Psyched for 4v4s, GAF is gonna be nuts, gonna try to hop in and play at some point, hopefully I won't be terrible at everything I play today :lol

eissan

eissan.wpg US

I have a question how are the rankings for which league you end up in decided? I played 6 games yesterday(very first games) lost 5, and won 1 and still ended up in Silver.

explosionx.gif

mcrae

Ri'Orius said:

yeah you're right, but so is the poster you're quoting, in that zealots kill zerglings when used correctly, aka not letting them get zurrounded. make a wall at the front of your base that funnells the zerglings into 2 zealots that are holding position, maybe with two more behind them, and let stalkers help snipe them while the zealots do their thing.

msv

Jokey665 said:
The first set of matches aren't placement matches, they're practice matches. You can skip em by pressing the skip button.

edit: hurr, i'm slow

mcrae

eissan said:
eissan.wpg US

I have a question how are the rankings for which league you end up in decided? I played 6 games yesterday(very first games) lost 5, and won 1 and still ended up in Silver.

its gotta go on more than just win loss. they record actions per minute and income, army size, etc for replays.... i have a feeling (or at least a hope) that that goes into consideration when matchmaking.

msv

fanboi said:
get on and play with me
I tried, but -
"We will be releasing a service update shortly. If you are unable to log into the system, it means the upgrade process has begun. etc."

Coupled with "There's a temporary outage on Battle.net"

New patch? Or just reset??

msv said:
I tried, but -
"We will be releasing a service update shortly. If you are unable to log into the system, it means the upgrade process has begun. etc."

yes patch

fanboi

Banned
msv said:
I tried, but -

I can logon! :p

Top Bottom