• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Sloegr

mbmonk

Ashhong said:
if you watched the replays you would know what im talking about. he called me shitty when i was constantly getting double teamed and he sent me no units.

WHOA! Slow down there buddy! You expect me to actually do something/research so that I know what I am talking about BEFORE I post????!!!!

It must be a strange world you live in. :lol

It was just a joke of course.

fanboi

Banned
Some info regarding the patch... not sure if true...

From Beta forum said:
- Marauder Punisher Grenade upgrade reduced to 50/50 from 100/100 and build time reduced from 80 -> 60
- Reactor Build time reduced 50 -> 40
- Immortal build time increased 40 -> 55

More research is on the way.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=120794&currentpage=4

EDIT:

Rumored new maps:
(2) Advent
(2) AdventNovice
(2) BlisteringSands
(2) BlisteringSandsNovice
(2) DesertOasis
(2) DesertOasisNovice
(2) IncinerationZone
(2) ScrapStation
(2) SteppesOfWar
(2) SteppesOfWarNovice
(2) TwistedPeak
(4) AridWastes
(4) Coalition
(4) Decena
(4) DecenaNovice
(4) KulasRavine
(4) KulasRavineNovice
(4) LostTemple
(4) Metalopolis
(4) MetalopolisNovice
(4) ScorchedHaven
(4) ScorchedHavenNovice
(4) ShakurasPlateau
(4) ShakurasPlateauNovice
(4) TwilightFortress
(4) TwilightFortressNovice
(6) ArakanCitadel
(6) Outpost
(6) Quicksand
(8) Extinction
(8) SandCanyon

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24401793445

Tilesets for Galaxy Editor (originally posted by Ltlief.lief):
-Agria (Grassy/forest)
-Aiur (Ruins)
-Albion (Rocky/grassland)
-Avernus (Rustic ruins)
-Bel Shir (Grass/forest/dirt)
-Braxis (Dark rocks/installation)
-Castanar (Frozen installation? There's no outside...)
-Char (Lava/Dirt)
-Haven (Basically the Lordaeron Summer tileset of Starcraft 2)
-Helios (Desert)
-Korhal (There are tilesets of Korhal1 - Korhal8, each tileset has one texture? Also, dirt/installation/cityscape)
-Mar Sara (Desert/Barren rock/installation)
-Meinhoff (A twilight landscape, but uses "white sand" as well...)
-Monlyth (Moon/rock)
-New Folsom (Rustic dirt installation)
-Niflheim (The real snow/ice! Only one of the 8 tiles is installation)
-Port Zion (darkish dirt installation, rustic, lots of vents, so old really)
-Redstone (Just what it says... Looks like red sulfur and lava)
-Shakuras (Twilight/snow/dark rock)
-Tasonis (Surprisingly, darkish tan dirt/sand and installation)
-Typhon (Same deal as Korhal...? Also, kind of hard to see, but it looks like very VERY dark red rocks... No lava however)
-Tyrador (The SC2 version of the WC3 tileset "Cityscape", but in the future. Dirt, sand, and lots of tiles, little installation)
-Ulaan (Dark rock/moon rock)
-Valhalla (Bright sand, dark rocks, and installation)
-Xil (Sand/dirt/one spec of grass)
-Zhakuldas (Frozen swamp-like, soggy blue soil, dark rocks)

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24401613419

EDIT: If you check the thread on TL, there are a lot more changes they have found... not sure if true etc etc

Ashhong

mbmonk said:
WHOA! Slow down there buddy! You expect me to actually do something/research so that I know what I am talking about BEFORE I post????!!!!

It must be a strange world you live in. :lol

It was just a joke of course.

i know, no worries. just frustrating night

yes! immortal build time increase!! =(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
- Marauder Punisher Grenade upgrade reduced to 50/50 from 100/100 and build time reduced from 80 -> 60

- Reactor Build time reduced 50 -> 40

- Immortal build time increased 40 -> 55
Punisher grenade :lol

Called the 80 -> 60 second timing, didn't expect cost to go down. 50/50 seem damn cheap. Glad to have it though.

Called the 40 -> 55 second timing too :D

Reactor buff is nice, didn't think they would do anything.

Aesthet1c

Just got in last night! Thanks to the Gamestop pre-order deal.

My ID is Aesthetic.midgarsix (US)

I'm currently awful, so if anyone else is awful or would like to teach a noob to play toss then hit me up.

Willectro

Banned
Finally got a key!

Afkilla.afkilla

This game is great as expected. Had a couple great wins and a couple losses to learn from. I haven't settled on a race yet, but I am leaning towards Zerg. I used to dislike their mechanics in SC1 but I like something about them now.

fanboi

Banned
Some achievement according to investigators at TL:

Fast Expand - Like build a lair, factory or Twilight council within 180 seconds.
Map Control - Destroying a CC/Hatch/Nexus under construction.
Infrastructure - Have 9 units building at the same time (Terran/Protoss), Zerg has 21 units at the same time for the achievement.
Micro Master - Get 20 kills with a single unit.
Basic Training - Build 10 marines or 20 zergs or 5 zealots in the first 3 minutes.
Heal a ally for 1000 damage with medivacs
Repair ally units for 1000 damage with SCV/MULE
Kill 20 SCVs with auto-turrets

Meeru

Banned
Ashhong said:
havent they all been protoss nerf patches =(
Yeah cuz protoss is OP and Blizzard is making sure the game is as most balanced as it should be. Plus Terran needs a buff.

valenti.valenti

raphier

Banned
In the first game Protoss was always More-By-Less kind of a race. Now it seems they want them all to be completelly equal or something. I just played my first game as a protoss and I don't know. They kind of feel....weird. Zealots are horrid. What happened to these killing a lot of zerglings! :( Now they die from a 6 pool and they're slower than a worker, holy shit.

Looking at the rest of the races It seems there's much more similarities between them in SC2 than in SC1. Kind of easier to hop in.

Ashhong

raphier said:
In the first game Protoss was always More-By-Less kind of a race. Now it seems they want them all to be completelly equal or something. I just played my first game as a protoss and I don't know. They kind of feel....weird. Zealots are horrid. What happened to these killing a lot of zerglings! :( Now they die from a 6 pool and they're slower than a worker, holy shit.

Looking at the rest of the races It seems there's much more similarities between them in SC2 than in SC1. Kind of easier to hop in.

you need to make a wall so that the lings fight the zealots one at a time, otherwise they surround the zealot and take it out quick.

mcrae

MeshuggahMan said:
They placed me in silver after the placement matches... I really don't think I belong there :lol

Annyong.gaf

I need some noobie practice.

heh, what ive started doing is throwing 3 or 4 placement matches, and getting into bronze.

wins get you 20-30 points, and losses only make you lose 3-6 points, regardless of when im in bronze/silver/gold.... so i figure why not start in bronze and move up isntead of start in gold and jsut get my ass kicked

Ashhong

MeshuggahMan said:
They placed me in silver after the placement matches... I really don't think I belong there :lol

Annyong.gaf

I need some noobie practice.

dont worry, rank resets will come soon enough

Minsc

Gold Member
So apparently younger Koreans are going to be prevented from playing StarCraft, as it was going to have a AO rating!

AO?! For StarCraft? Is there some hot Kerrigan action or something? Blizzard apparently is resubmitting a fixed build for a more appropriate rating.
AO seems to be for drug use, violence and foul language, must be some real prunes over in Korea

mbmonk

When you download the beta from blizzard is the file name something like "13891 installer".

I am downloading the beta from a torrent instead of blizzard just to minimize the time I get home to install.

Is this roughly the correct file still being downloaded?

BrknGuitar

Neo Member
Aesthet1c said:
Just got in last night! Thanks to the Gamestop pre-order deal.

My ID is Aesthetic.midgarsix (US)

I'm currently awful, so if anyone else is awful or would like to teach a noob to play toss then hit me up.

I got in as well, add me to the GAF list. Brknguitar.zlt (US)

fanboi

Banned
Minsc said:
So apparently younger Koreans are going to be prevented from playing StarCraft, as it was going to have a AO rating!

AO?! For StarCraft? Is there some hot Kerrigan action or something? Blizzard apparently is resubmitting a fixed build for a more appropriate rating.
AO seems to be for drug use, violence and foul language, must be some real prunes over in Korea

Its because of KeSpa (Korean SC association) since they want to get back at Blizzard for demanding access to bnet all the time and removing KeSpa to run their own org. etc etc etc

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just got into the beta because I preordered the special edition from Amazon, but the mac client is still not available. Is there any word whether or not the mac client is going to be available before May 17? If not, I may just have to install it on the PC in my room (but I'd much rather play it on my Mac, since that's actually mine)

mcrae

fanboi said:
Its because of KeSpa (Korean SC association) since they want to get back at Blizzard for demanding access to bnet all the time and removing KeSpa to run their own org. etc etc etc

explain this more? the korean sc association was pissed cause blizzard would take bnet (original or the beta?) offline without informing them? and blizzard is going to run their own organized leagues on bnet 2.0?

and to the guy directly above me: its tied to your account, not computer... play on your pc and then you can still play on your mac when the client gets released.

mcrae said:
heh, what ive started doing is throwing 3 or 4 placement matches, and getting into bronze.

wins get you 20-30 points, and losses only make you lose 3-6 points, regardless of when im in bronze/silver/gold.... so i figure why not start in bronze and move up isntead of start in gold and jsut get my ass kicked

I really should have done that.. then I wouldn't feel so bad when I get steamrolled. Oh well, the wipe will be welcome with open arms. Is it thursdays that they usually do patches and what not?

robochimp

thetrin said:
I just got into the beta because I preordered the special edition from Amazon, but the mac client is still not available. Is there any word whether or not the mac client is going to be available before May 17? If not, I may just have to install it on the PC in my room (but I'd much rather play it on my Mac, since that's actually mine)

Mac client is next week

Dronehouse.nyc here

I've had the game for a few weeks, but I'm pretty nooobish still. I did place in the bronze league, and right before I could play my first ladder game, my stats were reset :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
robochimp said:
Mac client is next week

Great news! Will it be automatically available to those already in the beta?

mcrae said:
and to the guy directly above me: its tied to your account, not computer... play on your pc and then you can still play on your mac when the client gets released.

Well, that answers my question. Thanks!

dorkimoe

Fuck you blizzard

I logged into my battle.net account just for the hell of it...and a sc2 beta was sitting there

I got no email, nothing telling me i was invited. The last time i checked was day 2 of the beta

so its probably been here for a month

Won

Where is the patch?!?!?

Also I still haven't seen that many EU shops with a Collector's Edition.....
Is Amazon not getting anything over here?

thetrin

Ashhong said:
are the amazon codes only going out to those that preordered the collectors edition?

For the record, I'm in the US, and I preordered the CE from Amazon. I have no idea if regular edition preorders are getting the beta as well.

This whole wipe/patch thing needs to happen asap. Seems like everytime I log in it thinks I'm a new user and wants me to do placement matches again.

Milabrega

List of Gaf Members in Beta: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20461745&postcount=7361

If you want your name added to the list, Post your BNET name in the _____.____ Format. EU players please post EU next to the ___.___ so I can put you on the correct list.

Best strategy to grow your buddy list is to add the frequent posters in this thread, and then ask for an invite to the conversation. In the conversation window you can open the tab on the right wall to see the list of players. You can then Right click Add all the names you don't already have.

Top Bottom