• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

msv

Ice Monkey said:
not to mention going through http is probably a bad idea anyway because of the multiple tens of thousands of people overloading blizz servers. hence why there is torrenting in the first place.
Yeah but the torrenting has no UL cap. If I have the torrent on the DL is 20-100kb/s max, and I can't download anything else, can't even browse. I'm hoping the bliz servers will be able to give me 100k+ at least.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man this map editor is compleeeecated.

I can't even figure out how to get a trigger setup for when a marine dies. :lol

Milabrega

I hope all the feedback from this helps launch day go much smoother than this. So Slow, so very very slow. At least I got NFL draft going on now too.

i'm almost done a 7v7 or 14 player FFA just for you, gaf. NO MORE OBSERVING!!

I cant figure out how to make it fair though while adding support for reapers and colossi. So far (i know a lot of you prolly hate them) its one of those fastest map dealys with one entrance to each base and such. It works for now because it's quick, im hoping they allow for custom games with custom maps in the editor!

NeoUltima

Ummm what the hell is going on with this patch...
"Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ... "Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ... "Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ... "Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ...

NeoUltima said:
"Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ... "Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ... "Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ... "Preparing to Apply New Patch" ...blah blah blah..."Update was Successful" ...
Battle.net is down. You can close it.

Milabrega

NeoUltima said:

You are downloading all 9 patches one at a time, maybe.

mcrae

Ice Monkey said:
i'm almost done a 7v7 or 14 player FFA just for you, gaf. NO MORE OBSERVING!!

I cant figure out how to make it fair though while adding support for reapers and colossi. So far (i know a lot of you prolly hate them) its one of those fastest map dealys with one entrance to each base and such. It works for now because it's quick, im hoping they allow for custom games with custom maps in the editor!

well the patch notes say you can upload maps to be played online at a later date. so no rush.

ok ive got the majority of the terrain done, i need to add minerals and gas and I want your suggestions for where/how to add ramps/lowered-cliffs for defense from above at chokes and reapers/colossi able to climb up. What I'm thinking is a ramp on the inside of each base at chokes for use by the person's base only, and staggered entry points of lowered cliffs so that the opposing side cant just keep reapers at a double lowered-cliff area in order to defend it.

I'm also thinking that in addition to the good amount of minerals and gas at each base, I'll put minerals and gas at the 4 little alleyways that will be harder to defend although this could give an advantage to the people in corners. I also want minerals and gas in the middle that will be impossible to defend especially in 7v7.

Finally I was thinking about adding minerals and gas INSIDE of each base but near the choke so it would be easier for people to just snipe if not properly defended. Thoughts on that?

Here's a screenshot:

terrain001.jpg

by the way you cant notice it but the cliffs in between each base are two levels high which as of so far reapers and colossi cant get past but air can.

Cronox

Banned
Well as I'm sure everyone who wants one has one, I'll say that in case someone still doesn't have a beta code, I have an extra. PM me.

Ice Monkey said:
ok ive got the majority of the terrain done, i need to add minerals and gas and I want your suggestions for where/how to add ramps/lowered-cliffs for defense from above at chokes and reapers/colossi able to climb up. What I'm thinking is a ramp on the inside of each base at chokes for use by the person's base only, and staggered entry points of lowered cliffs so that the opposing side cant just keep reapers at a double lowered-cliff area in order to defend it.

I'm also thinking that in addition to the good amount of minerals and gas at each base, I'll put minerals and gas at the 4 little alleyways that will be harder to defend although this could give an advantage to the people in corners. I also want minerals and gas in the middle that will be impossible to defend especially in 7v7.

Finally I was thinking about adding minerals and gas INSIDE of each base but near the choke so it would be easier for people to just snipe if not properly defended. Thoughts on that?

Here's a screenshot:

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1919/terrain001.jpg[IMG]

by the way you cant notice it but the cliffs in between each base are two levels high which as of so far reapers and colossi cant get past but air can.[/QUOTE]

Freaking awesome! :D

Here's what I would do:

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/magphv.jpg

Yellow being minerals/vespene-gas while the black being the detector or whatever it is that increases the visibility for ground troops. Four sets of mining locations in the middle for massive damage and battle more epic than "Divide and Conquer"!!!

Oh and anyone tried to import Warcraft 3 maps? It may sound stupid but I'm sure you can import the layout?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
* The StarCraft II Editor is now available!
o Players will now be able to begin creating trigger maps in preparation for map publishing which will be made available in an upcoming beta patch.
* A new Match History page is now available which will allow players to browse and filter their last 1,000 games played.
* Additional friends’ presence details are now available from the Friends’ list.
* Improvements have been made on the Voice Chat system in game.
*The score screen now features a new graph tab.
*The art for many parts of the user interface has been updated.
*In the gameplay options menu select from standard name based hotkeys for right and left-handed players, grid based hotkeys for right, and left-handed players, and classic StarCraft keys.
Yesssssssssss

Vague

scoobs said:
Pretty positive the patch is already out? Don't be such a jerk, I just need my beta fix.

Blizzard releases the patch while they update the servers. They do it for every game so you can download it and be ready once the servers come back up. The servers are not online so when the patch finishes it checks battle.net to verify the patch and can't because the servers are offline being updated.

The "looping" is the patcher trying to connect to battle.net and failing, so it thinks it hasn't patched correctly, every patch since the beta has been out has done this and it's just not something worth caring about before retail.

Sorry for being a jerk but you're complaining about how the servers can't handle retail based on the fact that you don't read the battle.net forums.

msv

*In the gameplay options menu select from standard name based hotkeys for right and left-handed players, grid based hotkeys for right, and left-handed players, and classic StarCraft keys.

Shit yeah!

shagg_187 said:
Freaking awesome! :D

Here's what I would do:

magphv.jpg

Yellow being minerals/vespene-gas while the black being the detector or whatever it is that increases the visibility for ground troops. Four sets of mining locations in the middle for massive damage and battle more epic than "Divide and Conquer"!!!

Oh and anyone tried to import Warcraft 3 maps? It may sound stupid but I'm sure you can import the layout?

haha thanks for the suggestion, I think i'll probably do exactly that for minerals but i may add a few extra spots like i said to add some more vulnerable places that you can additionally mine from. So far I have a really good set of reaper cliffs all over the map I think will work great, and I may even add some more xelnaga towers at a few places just to mix things up. It will probably be a while before we can all test it though *sadface*

Olivero said:
Not to be criticizing, because it's way better than I could ever do, but, my feelings on this....

nVd2x.jpg

agreed, but I dont have any idea how else to fit 14 players on a map thats trying to be as equal as possible. This will definitely be perfect for 7v7 but so far I'm working on giving the corners specific disadvantages that ill reveal in a short while.

Olivero

Ice Monkey said:
agreed, but I dont have any idea how else to fit 14 players on a map thats trying to be as equal as possible. This will definitely be perfect for 7v7 but so far I'm working on giving the corners specific disadvantages that ill reveal in a short while.

Excellent. Maybe consider placing rocks at the entrances at some of the more open bases to prevent early rush from multiple players?

Ice Monkey said:
haha thanks for the suggestion, I think i'll probably do exactly that for minerals but i may add a few extra spots like i said to add some more vulnerable places that you can additionally mine from. So far I have a really good set of reaper cliffs all over the map I think will work great, and I may even add some more xelnaga towers at a few places just to mix things up. It will probably be a while before we can all test it though *sadface*

Awesome! Can't wait to try it out! :) :(

Oh and increase the cap of Minerals for the ones in the base (Gold minerals instead of blue, perhaps?) so that the lack of exploration is countered nicely if the game lasts long.

Olivero said:
Excellent. Maybe consider placing rocks at the entrances at some of the more open bases to prevent early rush from multiple players?

Great idea but might be very Terran friendly especially when Reapers come charging in and the others can't escape. I don't think rocks are needed since it's 7v7 and someone will come to defend! :p

msv

Ice Monkey said:
Is that the max size? Maybe you can make the canvas bigger and then the you can make the playground symmetrical.

msv said:
Is that the max size? Maybe you can make the canvas bigger and then the you can make the playground symmetrical.

For now, this is a good substitute. Ice Monkey if you don't mind changing things around and have lots of time in your hand, I advice you look at "Divide and Conquer" and use that as base for this map.

2mgpjq.jpg

NeoUltima said:
Yeah. This is what I'm getting. It's been like this for almost an hour. Is this normal?

right now I'm gonna see what I can do with this setup, but im very disappointed because I just found out that the corners of the map arent even accessible ingame. I have to likely redo a lot of what I've already done o_O

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How big can the maps get?

Why not just make the base layout circular?

Here's what I would do (If I know how the fuck to create maps)!

2mn0mty.jpg

X-marks are spawn points, Red blocks being destructible rocks. The opening point without the rocks should be big enough that if someone decides to block the entrance, it would take 8 bunkers and 4 barracks altogether (i.e. TEAMWORK!). The entrance to the opening point with be uphill similar to scrap station. There will be numerous hiding places like bushes or smokes.

Damn, I should start working on it! :/

shagg_187 said:
Here's what I would do (If I know how the fuck to create maps)!

2mn0mty.jpg

X-marks are spawn points, Red blocks being destructible rocks. The opening point without the rocks should be big enough that if someone decides to block the entrance, it would take 8 bunkers and 4 barracks altogether (i.e. TEAMWORK!). The entrance to the opening point with be uphill similar to scrap station. There will be numerous hiding places like bushes or smokes.

Damn, I should start working on it! :/

that's good, but that could only be used for team. Right now I'm trying to see what I can do with this one, it wont take long anyway and I've got a pretty good idea of how it's gonna turn out.

What do you think of in my previous setup, I'm actually making double high cliffs around the entire map for the edges you cant use, the bad thing about the corners would be cliff entrances all around their base for harass from reapers and colossi?

Obviously zerg is unable to harass like that but they do have burrowing moving infestors and roaches to make up for it. I cant figure out how to give them an equal advantage in a cliffy map like this though.

aznpxdd said:
Damn, you guys are creating some hardcore turtle maps.

its mainly because its really easy to think out. If i get the time I'll definitely create a nice luscious looking normal map like divide and conquer that shagg posted.

Apath

Woo! Now I can make maps during my Philosophy class!!

What's the verdict? Were those screen shots real or fake?

And could I be added to the Beta Player list?:
Apath.irony

Apath

DMPrince said:
real screenshots.
So I guess it won't be much different from working with the WC3 world editor.

Are there any map makers with experience with WC3 here? I'm curious as to whether or not I can just copy and paste my trigger codes from WC3 or not. It's doubtful, but worth a shot =P

rhfb said:
Any way to access the map editor right now? Or do I need to wait for BNet to be back up? I wanna make some maps :(
finish the download. when it starts to loop then you're good to go.

just browse your way to the SC2 beta folder. under the support folder there should be the editor exe file. you can load it up.

Chris R

DMPrince said:
finish the download. when it starts to loop then you're good to go.

just browse your way to the SC2 beta folder. under the support folder there should be the editor exe file. you can load it up.
THANKS!!!

Thinking a 1v1v1v1 aka 2v2 map will be my first creation.

Top Bottom