• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ice Monkey said:
yeah but you move some probes around a bit, and as soon as that stalker comes out the reaper strategy is dead in the water.

Any good Terran who can micro his Reaper will kill at the very least 3-5 probes before you get your Stalker out even if you move them around, not to mention taking your probes off mining can really set you back anyway. Yeah it's not like an insta win button or something if you're good, like you said, you can move some workers around and deal with it for the most part despite having some losses of workers, I just think Reapers should require an engineering bay or factory to make and they should be buffed to balance this change and make them more viable in the late game (maybe give them a spider mine upgrade or something?)

Chris R

Ok this editor is not only easy to learn, but quite powerful too. I should have a nice map up by the end of the night. The hardest part will be making it "mirror" properly so nobody has an advantage.

mbmonk

Figures. I get a beta code at 4am. I go to work make sure I can remote access my computer. Download and install the beta.. my shit is primed for when I get home from work.

..Now this

I am just not meant to play this beta :D

Blizzard is telling me to have another beer I guess. :lol

alright after redoing the map i have a basic design again. I AGAIN still have to put in minerals, geysers, xelnaga towers and reaper cliffs but now i have a better terrain design.

There's a cliff surrounding the entire map that one unit can traverse at a time which will be interesting to say the least, because I plan on having both ramps and reaper-jumpable cliffs at many points on the map so there will be any amount of units on top of these cliffs at times.

The way I handled equality in the starting point build area so far is that each of the top and bottom areas have a total of 110 usable map grid squares. The middle ones as a tiny buff have 112 squares (as if that makes a difference).

The other major terrain difference that attempts to equalize the middle points is that they have 3 grid squares of cliffs separating both from each other and from the top and bottom points. This probably seems like it doesnt make a difference and maybe it doesnt, but I imagine it will protect them somewhat if used as a FFA. It will certainly protect them from anybody right next to them in the middle like for example siege tanks with sight.

My future plans to equalize the differences between starting points are that the middle points will be able to fight over their own xelnaga watch tower, they will have less reaper/colossi entry points plus they will be better positioned as opposed to the corners for example which will have an entry point right next to their main minerals and I may even put up a (partly?) impenetrable wall between each other (middle next to middle) although this would make for quite the turtle vs. turtle map for 7v7. Plus i may give them more resources.

Finally in terms of resources advantage i may make the second mineral area for each corner be in the alleyway between them and the middle points which will give them a much harder to defend second expansion to make up for their extremely optimal map placement in addition to the aforementioned not optimal reaper entry points and (possible) ramp with destructible rocks right next to their starting minerals.

Here's the terrain thus far:
terrain002.jpg

Olivero

Ice Monkey said:
alright after redoing the map i have a basic design again. I AGAIN still have to put in minerals, geysers, xelnaga towers and reaper cliffs but now i have a better terrain design.

There's a cliff surrounding the entire map that one unit can traverse at a time which will be interesting to say the least, because I plan on having both ramps and reaper-jumpable cliffs at many points on the map so there will be any amount of units on top of these cliffs at times.

The way I handled equality in the starting point build area so far is that each of the top and bottom areas have a total of 110 usable map grid squares. The middle ones as a tiny buff have 112 squares (as if that makes a difference).

The other major terrain difference that attempts to equalize the middle points is that they have 3 grid squares of cliffs separating both from each other and from the top and bottom points. This probably seems like it doesnt make a difference and maybe it doesnt, but I imagine it will protect them somewhat if used as a FFA. It will certainly protect them from anybody right next to them in the middle like for example siege tanks with sight.

My future plans to equalize the differences between starting points are that the middle points will be able to fight over their own xelnaga watch tower, they will have less reaper/colossi entry points plus they will be better positioned as opposed to the corners for example which will have an entry point right next to their main minerals and I may even put up a (partly?) impenetrable wall between each other (middle next to middle) although this would make for quite the turtle vs. turtle map for 7v7. Plus i may give them more resources.

Finally in terms of resources advantage i may make the second mineral area for each corner be in the alleyway between them and the middle points which will give them a much harder to defend second expansion to make up for their extremely optimal map placement in addition to the aforementioned not optimal reaper entry points and (possible) ramp with destructible rocks right next to their starting minerals.

Here's the terrain thus far:
terrain002.jpg

Looking good thus far. Just makes me want to play even more.

celebi23

So, I'm making some room for the Mac beta client. About how big is the Windows beta client? I assume that they would be about the same size.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sitting at 4GB without replays in the LOOP.

I'd give it a healthy size since retail should be much much larger.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
those corner bases look awefully strong, disregarding the lol terran factor, they can take that dead end and have a wider attack arc versus anyone walking in. they also have the only unshared ridges. -.-

scoobs

I gotta say im super disappointed i still can't play sc2 beta. I went to a meeting for 2 hours hoping that i'd get to play when i got out :( :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
FortMajor said:
I am glad infestors got a buff. Trying to neural parasite a colossus with the range upgrade was near impossible for a noob like me.
Infestors were already really good, just now more people will find out. Massive buffs to all abilities seems a bit silly.

I'm guessing we will see a nerf to them in a patch or two.

nilbog21

Banned
Jeez, took like a 4hour nap and it still doesn't work. don't they test this shit before releasing it? :lol

gues il go to the gym for a few hours and maybe blizzard will have gotten their shit together by then :p

Sloegr

mbmonk said:
I am so thankful the NFL draft is on. Otherwise I would be checking Neogaf constantly.. wait a minute...

Your team just traded way back, so you have plenty of time to F5 this thread!

mbmonk

ElJuice said:
Your team just traded way back, so you have plenty of time to F5 this thread!

You have to spoiler tag the NFL draft info MAN! I am watching it on Tivo and I am only on pick six Seattle....

Just kidding. I recorded it because I had a feeling they were going to trade back to the 2nd round and therefore they were doing shit tonight.

I guess they traded back to the 2nd.. late 1st?? Maybe.

Just kidding :)

hyduK

Banned
Milabrega said:
That's why they have a beta. Can you imagine if this happened on Launch?
Yeah, this will still happen after launch. WoW's been out for 5+ years now and you still have to cross your fingers every Tuesday....

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Python, BGH, Destination, HeartBreak Ridge all coming in SC 2 format. Should be fun (Watching BL demolish everything and stalker blink being imba).

Wedge7

Hazaro said:
Python, BGH, Destination, HeartBreak Ridge all coming in SC 2 format. Should be fun (Watching BL demolish everything and stalker blink being imba).

Python and Dest were my de_dust and de_dust2 back when I played on Iccup months ago.

msv

What. B.net is still out, and SC2 is still not updating. Now the breaking news item says that there will be scheduled maintenance of the server on friday @ 19.00. COME ON

eosos

Banned
hmmm I got this error...
The patch "base\Mods\Liberty.SC2Mod\Base.SC2Data\TriggerLibs\MeleeAI.galaxy" could not be applied. (Invalid source file size: expected 49197, actual 49547.) If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (BNUpdate::pTCApply)

any ideas?

eosos said:
hmmm I got this error...
The patch "base\Mods\Liberty.SC2Mod\Base.SC2Data\TriggerLibs\MeleeAI.galaxy" could not be applied. (Invalid source file size: expected 49197, actual 49547.) If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (BNUpdate::pTCApply)

any ideas?

had the same thing.. had to reinstall :/

I just noticed the intro music is a bit different. Anyone else catch that?

Top Bottom