• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

So I just skipped the practice matches and everything feels SSSSOOO much better now. I didn't realize everything was so slowed down in those matches. I thought it was my computer!!!

Is it possible to limit the game's framerate to 30 FPS since 60 is pretty much impossible without multicore support? The framerate keeps fluctuating, especially when I drag the screen, and it's really disorienting.

Kagami

kamspy said:
ultimate SC scrub here. Just got into the beta today and got owned by the first harass sent my way in my first two novice matches.

Guess I'm old fashion, but I don't like getting it on until I have an army that takes up more than one monitor of real estate.

kamspy.shallah

Add me. You can either own me with hyper harassing, or play with someone who likes a laid back, slow clash or the armies matches. I'm not against sending a few helpless scouts to get a peak, but rushing to get harass squads isn't fun for me to do or defend.
I'll play ya.
I'm in bronze; I've lost all my matches but one so far.

I actually do have aspirations of doing early harass and all the other "pro" play stuff someday, but right now the game is so overwhelming I can barely keep up with my own base.

CompactFlash.kagami (NA)

aznpxdd

Did 1v1 placement for the first time ever in the Beta (surprisingly), and damn, so many ling rushers...

Spanked all of their asses and went 5-0, got into platinum.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
aznpxdd said:
Did 1v1 placement for the first time ever in the Beta (surprisingly), and damn, so many ling rushers...

Spanked all of their asses and went 5-0, got into platinum.
There seems to be alot more than normal atm. I think people still think the larvae bug works or something because every zerg player I play rushes now asap.

Not hard to deal with but I like to spare a few chrono boosts for other stuff lol

shagg_187 said:
Today, I wake up. No update, no recreating account yet it's asking me to do placement matches again... WTF? Did this happen to others or is it just me?

OK. Further update. Apparently, it gave me my first win and my first 5 wins as Terran achievement, for briefly it showed my league/rank, only to disappear into placement match again... :/

nilbog21

Banned
nilbog21 said:
here's a rep worth sharing

me and valenti (now sejin) in a 2v2 for our 4th placement match.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mqcgjp

valenti dies early to dual zerg rush, partly my fault because I didnt send him my zealots as early as i could, but we came back to win it :]

(i realy hope this is the right replay.. i can't check because bnet is down and im going to bed! Why did blizzard remove the time stamps from the replay name and replace it with "map name (#)"?? wtfff)
yo im bumping because i posted this during the reset madness :<

So the Mac Beta is starting up next week correct? I went and pre-ordered the game at gamespot today and they were already out of beta codes. At least I've guaranteed myself a collectors edition.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Shalashaska161 said:
So the Mac Beta is starting up next week correct? I went and pre-ordered the game at gamespot today and they were already out of beta codes. At least I've guaranteed myself a collectors edition.
Said to be sometime this week...but this is Blizzard...

Corran Horn said:
Said to be sometime this week...but this is Blizzard...
Well, good enough for me. I still have finals up until Wednesday so anytime before that is just putting my schooling in jeopardy. I really hope I get in, having to go over to my buddies house to play is becoming a pain.

Do any of you recommend I switch to Grid hotkeys? I'm fast with standard currently (I pretty much know them all by heart) so relearning will take some time, but if it's more efficient overall and better I would be willing to go through with relearning again.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Had an epic game today. Was playing against some terran newbies, me and my teammate both terran.

6 minutes in, my teammate has to go, so I'm alone against the 2 others.

I try to drop a lot of Marines and Maurauders with Medivacs inside their bases and am able to harass a lot, but still lose both times. So this time I think I'm going to build just a huge army of MM and go in, but he starts to attack with a lot of battlecruisers. Suddenly midfight, a player of the enemy team drops, so we are 1on1. He loses the fight in the end, but I have little to nothing left in my base.

I notice that the battlecruisers are still moving, which was strange, because I thought dropped players don't do anything.
Now here's the fun part. I try for the first time controlling my dropped teammates base and WTF I have FULL CONTROL. Why nobody told me that?! :lol :lol :lol

I started spamming vikings to counter his battlecruisers and all of a sudden he goes full attack mode, attacking with ALL HIS SCVs and everything he had. He had a lot of cruisers, so I put missile turrets down, mid fight and the combined viking army was able to deal with the cruisers.
Everything he had is dead and he decides to leave without a gg. That were some brutal 40mins.

Long story short: Shit man, you can control your teammates units after he drops ! :lol

Tune in next time for: "How I had a bug, where I could spend more minerals and gas than I had(aka unlimited) and still lost"

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SO.

Phoenixes.

Yeah.

They counter mutas.

But don't forget to make ground troops!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Doh! I got downgraded. I am now in the Bronze league :(

I lost 4 matches in a row and then I finally came through with a victory (which was a total stomping by me), and I get the message saying something like, "Based on your performance you have been replaced in another league". That's a hell of a reward for a victory...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first time I have watched a Starcraft livestream / video of a match, but damn this stuff is intense! The two guys that were just on were really fucking good.

I don't think I ever realized "sport-like" Starcraft actually is. The live commentary really makes the whole match more entertaining to watch.

Sent

Zefah said:
This is the first time I have watched a Starcraft livestream / video of a match, but damn this stuff is intense! The two guys that were just on were really fucking good.

I don't think I ever realized "sport-like" Starcraft actually is. The live commentary really makes the whole match more entertaining to watch.

It's fun stuff :) Stream is all up and going well now everyone:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/thegunrun

Sloegr

MisterAnderson said:
Do any of you recommend I switch to Grid hotkeys? I'm fast with standard currently (I pretty much know them all by heart) so relearning will take some time, but if it's more efficient overall and better I would be willing to go through with relearning again.

Quoting this in hopes of some opinions. Any ideas how would this work in particular for someone with compromised manual dexterity?

Ashhong

ElJuice said:
Quoting this in hopes of some opinions. Any ideas how would this work in particular for someone with compromised manual dexterity?

if you already know the hotkeys, i dont see how moving to grid keys will benefit you

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
msv said:
Dude, wth did incontrol do. He couldve taken out the entire probe line. Of the natural AND the expo

He definitely should choose a new name. The guy doesn't micro at all, especially in comparison to his opponent.

I'm not one to speak, as I suck at micro, but still...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone explain to me, or link me to an explanation of what grid keys are?

msv

Zefah said:
I was thinking that it was

qwert
asdfg
etc.

corresponding to the grid. Instead of having the letters being derived from the names of the fuctions on the grid. Don't know 100% though, haven't tried it myself yet.

Ashhong

Zefah said:

yea, for example, a command center is usually c, but with grid keys option on, its Q, supply is W, refinery is E. at least i think thats it, i havent actually tried it :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ahh... I see how it works. I tend to remember buildings by their names and not their location on the build map. I think I'll stick to normal hotkeys.

Ashhong

Zefah said:
Ahh... I see how it works. I tend to remember buildings by their names and not their location on the build map. I think I'll stick to normal hotkeys.

yea that works for the most part, but then i get confused by the ones that done match. and sometimes they are far away, like N for nexus

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Placement as it stands is a total joke, I had 5 games last < 15 minutes each and saw no challenge whatsoever. I know I'm not really a platinum caliber player, and it seems like with the way placement is set up having a general idea of how to play + solid mechanics means plat. Needs to be fixed.

Top Bottom