• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Changed name to StonyJackson.pdark (my brother shares account)

Getting my ass kicked in the bronze league lmao. Before the patch I was at the top of the silver league, almost to gold. But since the patch came out I've constantly been swamped regardless of which race I play against. Won my last few games tonight, but jeez the competition level is ridiculous.

aznpxdd

Man, the competition in 2v2 random is so bad right now. Just blew through the placement matches with 5-0 and got placed in platinum.

iamblades

Shambles said:
Good to hear. I've always done 2 per node thinking that was pretty much saturation but i'm glad to see it still works better with 2 anyways.

Yeah nice to know the hard numbers, but I really don't think you have to count your gatherers all that much. Aside from the 3 per gas rule, you can generally glance at a base for a couple seconds and tell whether you have it saturated.

I typically just keep pumping workers and grab expansions to give them something to do, at least till you get your 3rd base halfway saturated, as which point your main should be running out and you can transfer them and try to grab a 4th base.

You can almost never get to 3 per node on your primary anyway, by the time you do, the thing should be about mined out anyway.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
aznpxdd said:
Man, the competition in 2v2 random is so bad right now. Just blew through the placement matches with 5-0 and got placed in platinum.
13,000 Gamestop fodder players latching onto 2v2.

I know I do :[

Yea I know for sure that 4 out of 5 of my placement matches in 1v1 were GS Preorder guys..

Walling in with 3 supply depots.. then i bust in and he has 5 scvs.

NeoUltima

As figured, game put me in gold league and I get whipped two games in a row >.<
I only one the third cause guy dropped lol. Though I did seem ahead in the graphs and shit.

fanboi

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Changed name to StonyJackson.pdark (my brother shares account)

Getting my ass kicked in the bronze league lmao. Before the patch I was at the top of the silver league, almost to gold. But since the patch came out I've constantly been swamped regardless of which race I play against. Won my last few games tonight, but jeez the competition level is ridiculous.

Mints alt account?!

:p

iamblades

Ferrio said:
What's protoss's counter against mauraders?

I use colossus mostly, backed up with sentries for shield and forcefield and stalkers to help out, maybe a couple immortals to soak some damage.. Psi storm is probably more efficient, but I'm not good enough at micro yet to hit with it consistently, and its a bit further up the tech tree anyway.

Sucks not having a gateway unit that can hold up vs them(although in decent numbers sentries and stalkers can do ok, and zealots with charge may be useful), but you should probably get a robo fac asap vs terran anyway to avoid bancheese.

Ashhong

hey guys, check out this replay of myself and misteranderson in a 2v2. i got proxy rax'ed in my own base and had to flee to my nat, and somehow we were able to defend against wave after wave of attacks, and then we come back to win it with a nuke to his face :D

its a bit long...but hey, i liked it. maybe the best game ive been apart of, skill wise with the counters and MisterAnderson's micro.

http://bit.ly/bMC0DE

Meeru

Banned
Ashhong said:
what does that mean
Not sure I looked up in the technical section and searched through, it seems to happen to random players and all they need to do is call Blizzard to get it fixed. I think another gaffer got the authenticator thing also.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Competition is still strong as ever on the Euro server. I want those gamestop folks on here as well :[

Even had to play Mondragon in one of my placements, so back to silver I go.

Ashhong

mcrae said:
i just did the same thing. my results:

BLUE:
3 per node on 8 nodes (24 workers) for 120 seconds: 2000 minerals, 16.67 per second total, 0.694 per second per worker

2 per node on 8 nodes (16 workers) for 120 seconds: 1675 minerals, 13.958 per second total, 0.8724 per second per worker

GOLD:

3 per node on 6 nodes (18 workers) for 120 seconds: 2113 minerals, 17.608 per second total, 0.978 per second per worker

2.5 per node on 6 nodes (15 workers) for 120 seconds: 2004 minerals, 16.7 per second total, 1.113 per second per worker

2 per node on 6 nodes (12 workers) for 120 seconds: 1813 minerals, 15.108 per second total, 1.259 per second per worker

notes: testing done in blistering sands. blue testing done on the right side's natural, gold 3 per node and 2 per node done on the right side gold site. gold 2.5 per node done on the left side gold site. i let the workers fully begin gathering and only started counting once they were 15 seconds into the gathering.

i think that im going to continue grabbing gold expansions, and not go much above 2 per node, for sure.

looking over this, i dont understand why you would go 2 per node? sure you get more out of each worker, but you still come out ahead if you do 3 per node, at least if you dont have an expansion and you want more money. for example, on the gold patches, it actually comes out dead even if you take into the account the workers cost, but after that you are getting an extra 200 a minute, which isnt a lot but still.

only reason i can see you doing 2 per node is if you are supply constrained. but hey, build a depot with that extra 200

Aesthet1c

valenti said:
Not sure I looked up in the technical section and searched through, it seems to happen to random players and all they need to do is call Blizzard to get it fixed. I think another gaffer got the authenticator thing also.

It sounds like you were hacked man. That's exactly what happened to me when my account got hacked a couple weeks ago(they stole my characters and gear in WoW). I had to download a form from Blizzard, fill it out, attach a picture ID and send it back to Blizzard just to get them to remove the authenticator. Once I got it back I got an authenticator of my own so I don't have to worry about that anymore.

Also all this business about 2 workers per mineral node. Do I actually have to spread them out myself? Or if I make 16 workers on an 8 node mineral spot will they spread themselves out?

mbmonk

Aesthet1c said:
Also all this business about 2 workers per mineral node. Do I actually have to spread them out myself? Or if I make 16 workers on an 8 node mineral spot will they spread themselves out?

I think they spread themselves out. The test I ran I just assigned all the workers to 1 mineral patch and they split themselves.

As for the 2 v 3 workers per patch. I think just knowing the differences between 2 and 3 per patch are useful.

If you are going with a gas heavy build to start then you might want to stick to 2 workers per so you can have that extra cash to put into gas production or units, and then move toward 3 workers per patch when you start preparing to expand. Where as if your build needs max minerals, then you need to get to 3 per patch as your goal to get the 'most minerals per second' return.

The map I played on had 10 mineral patches so the difference in the cost of 3 per patch versus 2 per patch is 10 workers at 50 min + 2 pylons for supply (200 min). So that total cost is 700 minerals. That 700 can go toward units/upgrades for your offensive push. Of course that is if you are doing a build that doesn't need max minerals.

But just knowing the differences allow you to tweak your worker count to better fit your plan. Or at least that is how it works out in theory in my mind. :D
But I am not good enough or experienced enough to say. I have all of 12 or so games under my belt.

Calantus

valenti said:
For some reason I got the authenticator on my sejin account so I will be using valenti.valenti for a while :(

That happened to me a week or two ago, i emailed blizzard and they asked for my bnet email, secret question and answer, and WoW CD key (thats the only game i had on the account, so they might ask for other games)

It took them two days for them to take it off. I'm sure if you called blizz they would remove it instantly.

Hackers are putting authenticators on bnet accounts so they can access it much longer, they pillaged my wow account, but i really don't care. I got a free month of wow time from it so whatever.

mbmonk

There is a tournament for Silver league players and below running over at gosucoaching.com.

A little info:
Date and Time:
Fri, 04/30/2010 - 02:00
Skill Level:
Silver or lower
Prize:
(2) Free Hours of Coaching with Any Staff!
Bracket Link:
TBA

Did you miss out on the first three Silver Stars tournaments, or are you looking for another shot at two free hours of coaching with one of GosuCoaching's awesome staff members? OR, are you just looking for a fun yet competitive event to fill up your Thursday evening? Either way, check out the fourth Silver Stars Tournament!

About the tournament:

This tournament is for Silver league or lower players, the format is going to be a single elimination bracket (maximum of 64 players). The first few rounds will be BO1 until the SEMI FINALS which will be BO3 from then onwards. The tournament will take place Thursday April 29th at 7pm PST (10pm EST)!

More info located here: http://www.gosucoaching.com/content/silver-stars-4-roar

Just thought I would mention it to all my fellow low level playa's. :D

Corum

I'm going to be online for the next couple of hours, corum.corum (EU) if anyone is keen for 2v2's or practice matches just give me a message.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I hate you guys. Why are you so good. I'm in the copper league and I'm getting my ass whooped consistently. I already want to cancel my preorder. :(

Calantus

They should really redo how they place people in leagues. If you win 5 games you go platinum, 4 wins gold, 3 wins silver, 2 wins bronze, 1/0 wins is copper.

raphier

Banned
Adent said:
I hate you guys. Why are you so good. I'm in the copper league and I'm getting my ass whooped consistently. I already want to cancel my preorder. :(
You'te not alone! I am basically losing all of my matches. zero wins. And you could pre-order the game for it's single-player and amazing custom games (mods, dota, etc.), the heart of casual starcraft.

Calantus said:
They should really redo how they place people in leagues. If you win 5 games you go platinum, 4 wins gold, 3 wins silver, 2 wins bronze, 1/0 wins is copper.

Definitely. I wonder if they factor in how much you won or lost by. That would probably help a lot in determining your correct placement.

mbmonk

Adent said:

If you haven't played a lot of Copper matches yet then I wouldn't be too concerned. There are people throwing matches intentionally just so they can get put in copper and mop up. So some of those matches aren't against true copper level players.

Try to find out what enemy units are giving you the most trouble and ask in this thread for some help on how to handle that unit.

As a new player ( I don't know how new you are ) the biggest thing is to have an actual plan, and don't let money build up in your bank. So if you look up and see you have 700 minerals now you know how to spend it because you have a plan/goal. So if my plan is to mass Zealots, I look up and see 700 minerals then I will throw down another gateway, or start an attack upgrade, etc. So having a plan will help direct your actions when you get overwhelmed mentally. Also if I am going mass zealot, then I don't need gas. So I might not build a assimelator and probes to mine gas. That saves me 250 minerals which is another 2 zealots for my attack. So you can see having just a basic thought out plan can make a difference.

There are far better players in this thread so maybe they can chime in and help you out if you post specifics.

msv

fanboi said:
If I went plat you should be in silver atleast...
Yeah you going plat is insane too, though it did felt like you had improved. The you trashing me level was astoundingly higher last few games.

mbmonk

MeshuggahMan said:
Definitely. I wonder if they factor in how much you won or lost by. That would probably help a lot in determining your correct placement.

There was a thread on TeamLiquid that theorized that the game weighs your wins much heavier than your losses ( like 20 points vs 3 points). But they were using WoW arena as reference.

Won

Enough with the editor till people figure out more stuff. Back to playing the game!

Played my first game on the new 1vs1 map. That's one short path for Reapers. :lol

fanboi

Banned
Won said:
Enough with the editor till people figure out more stuff. Back to playing the game!

Played my first game on the new 1vs1 map. That's one short path for Reapers. :lol

The lava level?! Hell yes... one of my placement was there aswell....

Won

My opponent tried proxy gateways on me there. Sucks for him that Zealots lose against Reapers.

But I hope the map doesn't completely revolve around cheese.....

fanboi

Banned
Won said:
My opponent tried proxy gateways on me there. Sucks for him that Zealots lose against Reapers.

But I hope the map doesn't completely revolve around cheese.....

In my game I destroyed him with brood lords...

EDIT: EU gaf get on now!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I just won 4 games in a row using a Stalker rush strategy with the Protoss. I'm surprised at how powerful these guys for being available so early.

Shambles

Ashhong said:
looking over this, i dont understand why you would go 2 per node? sure you get more out of each worker, but you still come out ahead if you do 3 per node, at least if you dont have an expansion and you want more money. for example, on the gold patches, it actually comes out dead even if you take into the account the workers cost, but after that you are getting an extra 200 a minute, which isnt a lot but still.

only reason i can see you doing 2 per node is if you are supply constrained. but hey, build a depot with that extra 200

It's because each worker costs 50 min so you end up coming behind once you add the cost o the additional 8 workers. If you are cornered in, or are waiting for a new nexus/CC/hatch to build in your expansion it is worth it and what I have switched to doing, but otherwise you'll come out with more money in the end if you only build 2/node, or expand to a new base if you are > 2/node.

valenti said:
Sorry to laugh valenti..

But the other gaffer was mint.. :lol

His account was compromised because he downloaded that hack which was a keylog/trojan and the person who stole it tried locking it with an authenticator. Blizz fixed it for him.

Calantus

TurtleSnatcher said:
Sorry to laugh valenti..

But the other gaffer was mint.. :lol

His account was compromised because he downloaded that hack which was a keylog/trojan and the person who stole it tried locking it with an authenticator. Blizz fixed it for him.

If you're referring to me, i didn't get keylogged.

Top Bottom