• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

I'm finally in the beta thanks to Ashhong. I'm patching now, and it's taking a thousand hours, but once it's done, does anyone feel like playing a total scrub? I gotta learn the ropes. :)

filipe

autobzooty said:
I'm finally in the beta thanks to Ashhong. I'm patching now, and it's taking a thousand hours, but once it's done, does anyone feel like playing a total scrub? I gotta learn the ropes. :)

Me and you friend. I need to learn as well.

nilbog21

Banned
Terranflowchart.jpg

So I just got on for the first time tonight... so just a few questions for those more experienced.

1.) Is it just me or is the game noticeably slower than the last game? Especially in regards to things like scrolling around the map? (I'm pretty sure this isn't a performance issue on my comp)
2.) Are void rays as good as they seem?
3.) Is there anyone else playing on an average laptop? If so what kind of settings have you been using for best results?
4.) How useful is the queen for zerg? And does what is their go to unit? It seemed like roaches until I realized they couldn't attack air.
5.) How many units is a good number for an early rush? And which units for each race.

filipe said:
Me and you friend. I need to learn as well.
storybook77 said:
I just played my first match tonight as well and it was pretty brutal. :lol

You and you. Add me as a friend. We need to stick together!!

autobzooty.gaf

I'm up for a game right now if anyone wants to pwn/teach a noob.

scoobs

brucewaynegretzky said:
So I just got on for the first time tonight... so just a few questions for those more experienced.

1.) Is it just me or is the game noticeably slower than the last game? Especially in regards to things like scrolling around the map? (I'm pretty sure this isn't a performance issue on my comp)
2.) Are void rays as good as they seem?
3.) Is there anyone else playing on an average laptop? If so what kind of settings have you been using for best results?
4.) How useful is the queen for zerg? And does what is their go to unit? It seemed like roaches until I realized they couldn't attack air.
5.) How many units is a good number for an early rush? And which units for each race.

1 - in practice matches the game IS slowed down, maybe thats what you're referring to. Otherwise, no feels the same.
2 - Yes, they own.
4 - Incredibly useful, you should have more than 1 assuming you expand. Go to unit - roaches AND/OR hydras. Both own, i love hydras, but mass roaches will beat most noobs.
5 - tough to say. I play terran and I usually play slower and control the map.

Paz

Wow that bonus pool bug DESTROYED the ladder consistency, I keep playing really average players who are 'favored' against me because they got to like 1700pts yesterday...

I'm rank 1 in my div at like 1200pts cos I started after they fixed the bug :/

mbmonk

MrMister said:
Holy shit I went 3-2 on placements and got Silver! FINALLY I CAN CALL MYSELF HALF-DECENT! :lol

Congrats! I got in Silver as well, but honestly I should probably be down one level. But I did win my first Silver match so that is coo' :lol

Ashhong

Paz said:
Wow that bonus pool bug DESTROYED the ladder consistency, I keep playing really average players who are 'favored' against me because they got to like 1700pts yesterday...

i thought the ladder rankings reset since that was fixed? i dont know, it was reset so many times...i lost count

mcrae

Darkatomz said:
Ugh... I hate this computer so much. My 8800gts 640mb isn't holdng up, I keep crashing out of my games. I'm still trying to lower my setting to get the game to work, but I'll definitely need to get a completely new powerhouse in the future, maybe when the end of summer rolls around or something.

i play on high with a 8800 gt that i think is 512. must be your processor thats lacking? i have a i5 720 2.6ghz

kamspy

ultimate SC scrub here. Just got into the beta today and got owned by the first harass sent my way in my first two novice matches.

Guess I'm old fashion, but I don't like getting it on until I have an army that takes up more than one monitor of real estate.

kamspy.shallah

Add me. You can either own me with hyper harassing, or play with someone who likes a laid back, slow clash or the armies matches. I'm not against sending a few helpless scouts to get a peak, but rushing to get harass squads isn't fun for me to do or defend.

I'm gonna try the game with the Steam overlay. Would be a decent solution for lack of chat. Steam ID is kamspy.

mbmonk

rhfb said:
For a normal 8 mineral patch, I believe the "best" number is 18 harvesters or 2.25 per node. Saw some very complex math equations somewhere on these beautiful interwebs stating that much as fact (while also stating that high yield bases aren't worth the hastle).

Nice. Thanks for the info. :D

Meeru

Banned
Paz said:

Paz what's your char.id?

Chris R

mbmonk said:
Nice. Thanks for the info. :D
Well, don't take anything I say as the whole truth. Apparently if you place your expansion one grid space away from the "closest" it can be, you can fully saturate with 24 workers and get the maximum return rate :lol

Can't wait to see if people number crunch this game as much as say WoW.

mcrae

mbmonk said:
Is it pretty standard as Protoss to put 3 probes per assemilator for gas, and roughly 2 probes per mineral patch?

afaik i've heard it refered to as 2 per patch is optimal, 3 is maxing it out

Effect

Ugh. I finally play my first game against another player only for me to begin my march on the other persons base (from scans I had the most troops. From marines to two Thors.) and then have the game crash on me. Leaving me with the lose of course.

I have been having fun playing against the AI though but as others have said needs a lot of work. If the difficulty of it is increased I can see it being a good way to practice. It did try to scout me and send out small groups.

How do you rotate the barracks though? Haven't been able to figure that out in order to land it different ways.

Meeru

Banned
Effect said:
Ugh. I finally play my first game against another player only for me to begin my march on the other persons base (from scans I had the most troops. From marines to two Thors.) and then have the game crash on me. Leaving me with the lose of course.

I have been having fun playing against the AI though but as others have said needs a lot of work. If the difficulty of it is increased I can see it being a good way to practice. It did try to scout me and send out small groups.

How do you rotate the barracks though? Haven't been able to figure that out in order to land it different ways.
Can't rotate

mcrae

rhfb said:
For a normal 8 mineral patch, I believe the "best" number is 18 harvesters or 2.25 per node. Saw some very complex math equations somewhere on these beautiful interwebs stating that much as fact (while also stating that high yield bases aren't worth the hastle).

source?

God damn.. they reset again yesterday?

lol..

Did my placement matches for the 4th time in Beta.. ugh.

5-0 Platinum.. 4 of my opponents were zerg =[

One of the zerg was pretty decent.. but commited to mutas and i went hydras.. yea.. he sent like 1 muta at my base.. and i just over powered him with land units while hits 1 muta ding'd my buildings slowly.

mbmonk

mcrae said:

EDIT: I didn't run any high yeild test if that is what you are interested in.

The test I ran came out like this.. don't crack on my spelling.
Protoss Worker analysis

GAS
2 probes on 1 assemilator = 1.56 gas per second
2 probes on 1 assemiltor in 120 seconds collect 188 gas ( rougly 94 each, or 0.78 gas per second per worker)

3 probes on 1 assemilator = 2.3 gas per second
3 probes on 1 assemiltor in 120 seconds collect 276 gas ( rougly 92 each, or 0.76 gas per second per worker )

Minerals

2 workers per mineral patch
Output of 15 minerals per second
each worker collects 90.2 minerals over 120 seconds, or 0.75 minerals per second

3 workers per mineral patch
Output of 16 minerals per second
each worker collects 64 minerals over 120 seconds, or .53 minerals per second

All I did was play against the CPU, beat it and then kept playing. I pulled all my workers off the minerals/gas. And then put 20 workers on 10 mineral patch for 2 minutes. Then did the same with 30 workers for 10 mineral patches. Ran some basic calculations on the amount collected.

I am sure someone has a MUCH better method but I was just trying to get a rough idea of what the numbers should be.

I was putting 2 workers in the gas until I ran this test, now I put 3.

scoobs

lol so lame... got into gold league because i played a bunch of fucking awful people. Rocking a solid 0-4 right now fun stuff!!! This way of placing looks great on paper but in practice it kind of blows. Not fun losing constantly i gotta say.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
God damn.. they reset again yesterday?

lol..

Did my placement matches for the 4th time in Beta.. ugh.

5-0 Platinum.. 4 of my opponents were zerg =[

One of the zerg was pretty decent.. but commited to mutas and i went hydras.. yea.. he sent like 1 muta at my base.. and i just over powered him with land units while hits 1 muta ding'd my buildings slowly.

Duuuuude we gotta play.

mbmonk

You can enable a nice little grid when you are constructing buildings. It will help you with your wall offs/ins :D

Goto:
Options -> Gameplay -> Display Build Grid (check this box)

Well I always have better resources than my opponents in the end, with less unspent and more total, but I keep losing. I guess I'm spending it on the wrong stuff....

mcrae

mbmonk said:
EDIT: I didn't run any high yeild test if that is what you are interested in.

The test I ran came out like this.. don't crack on my spelling.

All I did was play against the CPU, beat it and then kept playing. I pulled all my workers off the minerals/gas. And then put 20 workers on 10 mineral patch for 2 minutes. Then did the same with 30 workers for 10 mineral patches. Ran some basic calculations on the amount collected.

I am sure someone has a MUCH better method but I was just trying to get a rough idea of what the numbers should be.

I was putting 2 workers in the gas until I ran this test, now I put 3.

i just did the same thing. my results:

BLUE:
3 per node on 8 nodes (24 workers) for 120 seconds: 2000 minerals, 16.67 per second total, 0.694 per second per worker

2 per node on 8 nodes (16 workers) for 120 seconds: 1675 minerals, 13.958 per second total, 0.8724 per second per worker

GOLD:

3 per node on 6 nodes (18 workers) for 120 seconds: 2113 minerals, 17.608 per second total, 0.978 per second per worker

2.5 per node on 6 nodes (15 workers) for 120 seconds: 2004 minerals, 16.7 per second total, 1.113 per second per worker

2 per node on 6 nodes (12 workers) for 120 seconds: 1813 minerals, 15.108 per second total, 1.259 per second per worker

notes: testing done in blistering sands. blue testing done on the right side's natural, gold 3 per node and 2 per node done on the right side gold site. gold 2.5 per node done on the left side gold site. i let the workers fully begin gathering and only started counting once they were 15 seconds into the gathering.

i think that im going to continue grabbing gold expansions, and not go much above 2 per node, for sure.

mbmonk

mcrae said:

BLUE:
3 per node on 8 nodes (24 workers) for 120 seconds: 2000 minerals, 16.67 per second total, 0.694 per second per worker

2 per node on 8 nodes (16 workers) for 120 seconds: 1675 minerals, 13.958 per second total, 0.8724 per second per worker

GOLD:

3 per node on 6 nodes (18 workers) for 120 seconds: 2113 minerals, 17.608 per second total, 0.978 per second per worker

2.5 per node on 6 nodes (15 workers) for 120 seconds: 2004 minerals, 16.7 per second total, 1.113 per second per worker

2 per node on 6 nodes (12 workers) for 120 seconds: 1813 minerals, 15.108 per second total, 1.259 per second per worker

notes: testing done in blistering sands. blue testing done on the right side's natural, gold 3 per node and 2 per node done on the right side gold site. gold 2.5 per node done on the left side gold site. i let the workers fully begin gathering and only started counting once they were 15 seconds into the gathering.

i think that im going to continue grabbing gold expansions, and not go much above 2 per node, for sure.

Nice.

I haven't been going for the high yield mineral expansions. That is going to have to change. Thanks.

scoobs

I have to reiterate this point but is anyone else getting dominated by this lame-o placement stuff? 0-6 since i got into gold by beating 4 worthless people. I can't hang w/ these people they macro up so ridiculous... can't do it. 1 more game tonight and if i go 0-7 im taking a break for a few days lol.

mcrae

scoobs said:
I have to reiterate this point but is anyone else getting dominated by this lame-o placement stuff? 0-6 since i got into gold by beating 4 worthless people. I can't hang w/ these people they macro up so ridiculous... can't do it. 1 more game tonight and if i go 0-7 im taking a break for a few days lol.

when i do placements i just paly poorly. just played a twilight fortress where i got up to 120 pop... 34 probes and the rest zealots, from 9 gates. lol if i tech'd earlier in the game i would have dominated but i decided just just play shitty and likely lose... unfortunately we won lol.

anyways yeah, i just decide what my strat is before i start playing: massing marines, zealots, or lings... and then watch as any average player wipes me out, or i beat terrible players.

i usually get placed in bronze, and then quickly rank up to gold, and it balances out there. good system imo.

scoobs said:

someone quit 5 seconds into my match and now i'm in bronze instead of copper :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
For those wondering about mining saturation it's 2 for optimal (then you get wandering and diminishing returns. 3 per patch for saturation).

Sloegr

autobzooty said:
someone quit 5 seconds into my match and now i'm in bronze instead of copper :lol

I had that happen once during placement. I really hope it was a connection problem, not a good player intentionally dc'ing so he can crush copper league players.

iamblades

God i love when you almost get wiped early in the game but survive on like your last army unit and you come back to win.

I almost got wiped out by a zealot rush, but my early immortal popped out just in time. Had to pull my workers off the mins and everything. Survived and teched up and owned him.

I love this game, already gone from losing like 7 straight matches the first night to winning 3 out of 4 on night 3.

Grid hotkeys are helping my apm a lot as well, hit a peak of 250ish last match. My average is still like 60-70ish though, need to get the average up to like 100, i still keep stopping to watch the action too often instead of spending my mins.

Need to learn terran and zerg some more, but i like the protoss army management more. Protoss armies are way easier to control than terran (unless you go straight MMM) and zerg. Protoss does seem to have way more special abilities you need to use to be effective though, with sentrys and stalker blink. I haven't tried zealot charge yet though, I normally phase zealots out of my army once i get a couple immortals and a colossus.

Shambles

mcrae said:

BLUE:

GOLD:

Good to hear. I've always done 2 per node thinking that was pretty much saturation but i'm glad to see it still works better with 2 anyways.

Top Bottom