• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Procarbine said:
Placement as it stands is a total joke, I had 5 games last < 15 minutes each and saw no challenge whatsoever. I know I'm not really a platinum caliber player, and it seems like with the way placement is set up having a general idea of how to play + solid mechanics means plat. Needs to be fixed.
It needs to be extended to more games. 10 or so at least to gather a better grouping of players.

Ashhong

FromTheFuture said:
mm I would really like to know how the hell divisions work. As of now, not much about the match making makes much sense to be honest.

im pretty sure division means nothing, just a way to spread around the players so that you arent competing against thousands of people for that top spot in bronze.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Corran Horn said:
Well for the beta I dont mind 5 games because of the constant resets but during retail it wont happen as often

it would be annoying as hell to have to go through 10 placement matches for each bracket and every time you wanted to set up a new team. 5 is fine, and I'm pretty sure the way Blizzard determines placement is fairly sophisticated and will be improved leading up to launch.

I got placed in Silver and feel like it's the perfect placement for my skill level, so I guess it just depends on who you get matched up against in the placement bouts.

Sloegr

Ashhong said:
im pretty sure division means nothing, just a way to spread around the players so that you arent competing against thousands of people for that top spot in bronze.

I would actually like that better. I can understand why the divisions exist, though.

Kodiak said:
it would be annoying as hell to have to go through 10 placement matches for each bracket and every time you wanted to set up a new team. 5 is fine, and I'm pretty sure the way Blizzard determines placement is fairly sophisticated and will be improved leading up to launch.

I haven't played 2v2 yet, so I didn't think about that. Perhaps they could have 10 placement matches for 1v1, since it'd only occur once per season (will there be seasons?) and leave 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 at 5 placement matches.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I won 3/5 of my placement matches and placed in Silver.

After about 20 matches in Silver, of which I won probably 9 of, I was "de-ranked" down to Bronze which is probably more accurate of a rating since I don't even know what all of the buildings and units do yet.

I think their system works pretty damn well, all things considered.

Ashhong said:
I meant how divisions are determined, not why divisions exist as a whole. I always figured it was something like a 'first come first serve' basis, and a lot of top players get put into the higher divisions because they play more. But then some people who are playing much later end up in division one. Then, when you check someone's stats, their rank within their division is the first thing you see. It kind of seems like having that information there is entirely useless.

Before the first reset I lost 9/10 placement matches and got into copper, which I ranked up to bronze in before the first reset.

Second reset I made gold somehow, and quickly got bumped down to silver because I got my face stomped in gold. I struggled in Silver a bit, but could have probably held out there, then they did another reset.

Haven't played 1v1 since, been doing 2v2s exclusively, although I plan to do some more 1v1 now that there are new maps.

2v2 matchups with my friend seem pretty accurate. From time to time we get total newbs or platinum players but overall we seem to get opponents our level (we are ranked high in bronze before the last reset, and are probably on track to silver).

I think I can get myself to silver in 1v1. I doubt I will ever get to gold let alone platinum, which is kind of disapointing. I think that while the placement games and matchmaking should keep you against similar skilled opponents it might discourage a lot of people after several months of play when they reach their maximum level of skill.

I think I am just too old to reach the upper tiers. In games when I reach 60apm my hands and elbows start to hurt like hell after about an hour of intense play, and since I have a habit of playing for 6-8 hours at a time it means after I peak I start to lose a lot of games becuase my hands get stiff.

Trasher and I played some 2v2 ladder earlier, and we had a few good matches. One in particular stood out as one of the coolest moments I've had playing StarCraft 2. I'd post the replay but I figure I could instead show screens of the exact moment I'm referring to.

The map was Twilight Fortress; I was Terran and Trasher was Protoss while our enemies were both Toss. At this moment in time the enemy force is countering my mass Banshee harass at his expo. Here's the moment they attacked:

doqn1t.jpg

A few seconds later, Trasher cast Vortex in the center of their army, sucking in a large portion of it. Right after he did that, I launched a nuke from a cloaked Ghost adjacent to the Vortex:

kbxbop.jpg

i5uhxs.jpg

RIGHT as their units are released from the Vortex, they are met with swift death:

1zdxj4o.jpg

33momde.jpg

Then we countered and won it. I only wish that my Ghost hadn't of died in the blast so I could have seen how many kills he had :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was in gold. Now I'm not.

Was there another reset?

Trasher

MisterAnderson said:
Ashhong if you're getting this the fucking game made my keyboard not work??? I can't type at all or do any hotkeys... :/
That's what happened to me after I patched this last time!

Kagami

Olivero said:
Highest my apm has been is 37. I... need a coach.
Still ahead of me. :lol
At the end of the replays for my last five games, my average APM read:

28 (32:58, won)
28 (16:26, lost)
27 (20:17, won)
28 (16:34, lost)
29 (17:31, won)

Haly

Tried Grid hotkeys for a sec.

Word of warning, prepare to relearn everything you knew about hotkeys.

The most annoying thing, I think, is a-attack is t-attack with the grid system. I thought it only applied to abilities, like in HoN but it applies to ALL hotkeys.

Haly

aznpxdd said:
Was there really another reset?
I don't think so, maybe it's just me. I lost my friendlist but trasher's still in gold.

I just won a game where the other guy took out 3 of my probes with his probe and then went on to build a proxy pylon in my base while I was messing around with stalker/sentry. It was pretty funny though, I bet I scared his ass off when i sent 6 immortal hallucinations into the paltry force he left at his base. We ended up base trading and, get this, we both managed to sneak out some probes and lay down a nexus but when he used what he had left to try to hit me I obliterated him with my virtually untouched stalkers.

He promptly gave up, despite having two pylons and a nexus in the works (as did I).

Paz

valenti said:
Based on your stats you would be the best toss player here :lol

Lol they are pretty horrible post-patch, I've been trying out phoenix's in pvp and lost a shitload of games :/

I think I'm close to a new strat though, the ultimate counter to robo builds.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I know that hitting A will do the command to attack move but I'm clumsy and will randomly attack a builing instead of the enemy units in the moment. Prior to this patch, you could hold down CTRL and right click the ground and it will auto attack move so it was faster for me to fix my mistake. I read in this SC wiki that holding down shift was something I was looking for but it seems to just queue up movements for my units.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Attack_move

any advice gaf? would make my sc2 so much better lol

Haly

Paz said:
Lol they are pretty horrible post-patch, I've been trying out phoenix's in pvp and lost a shitload of games :/

I think I'm close to a new strat though, the ultimate counter to robo builds.
Gimme an "I".
Gimme two "M"s.
Gimme an "O" and "R" and "T".
Finish it up with "A", "L", and "S".

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay Immortals!

Haly

Paz said:
Phoenix counters immortal quite nicely as they are only 150/100 2 food vs 250/100 4 food :)
Except you have to be in range of their stalkers/sentries :(

Zinga

Banned
Greetings my PC Gaming brothers, I have just pre-ordered SC2 and now am waiting for my beta key to be emailed to me! :D can't wait to join in on all the fun you guys are having!

elbkhm

autobzooty said:
Is it possible to limit the game's framerate to 30 FPS since 60 is pretty much impossible without multicore support? The framerate keeps fluctuating, especially when I drag the screen, and it's really disorienting.
"My Documents\StarCraft II Beta\Variables.txt"
frameratecap=30

If there's already a line there, change it to 30, if not, add it in.

Yaweee

I placed into Silver, but after ten games of beating mostly Golds and one Plat, it bumped me up.

Time to start watching replays. I've been going Random so far, but I think it's time to focus on a single race.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MisterAnderson said:
Then we countered and won it. I only wish that my Ghost hadn't of died in the blast so I could have seen how many kills he had :(

-Open your replay.
-Set it to "Units Lost".
-Check enemy numbers before and after blast.

Ashhong

anybody else have their stats reset? half the time i cant even connect, and the other half my achievements and history are gone. buddy list still there...

Top Bottom