• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
les papillons sexuels said:
any suggestions for a protoss player to counter the massive amount of troops one see's in 2v2 rushes?

I've done about 3 games in a row where it's been nothing but marines, zerg or zealots running into my base in mass numbers and I just can't seem to get the hang of it.
sentries.

Insaniac

So i haven't had time to dip into the galaxy editor yet but I want to but its so daunting. Is there a faq somewhere online that gives people a good intro into the editor because I'm literally just poking around not knowing what to do at all

IceMarker

Insaniac said:
So i haven't had time to dip into the galaxy editor yet but I want to but its so daunting. Is there a faq somewhere online that gives people a good intro into the editor because I'm literally just poking around not knowing what to do at all
If I had to give you any tips it would be to experiment, experiment, experiment. After you learn the basics start off by making a couple medium-sized Melee maps. Soon after you'll get the hang of it. The proceed to further your skills.

Ashhong

good lord i love MMM+stim. my only problem with it is that since im new to it, i dont know how big of a ball is enough. i end up building until i have this massive army that easily wipes out the other army. i feel like i could have attacked sooner

Corum

Ashhong said:
good lord i love MMM+stim. my only problem with it is that since im new to it, i dont know how big of a ball is enough. i end up building until i have this massive army that easily wipes out the other army. i feel like i could have attacked sooner

Try to time your push when an upgrade just completes, like +1 weapon or stim pack finishes. Then rally all your production buildings to where you're attacking and just keep streaming your army in as you attack. This worked for me yesterday, the constant pressure just whittled away at my opponent even though he was in a much stronger position than me.

Faced someone who was talking SMACK like it was fucking Xbox Live. He started talking smack when he almost destroyed my base. I made sure I last as much as I could and stretched a 10 minute loss into a 40 minute loss. I kept on expanding and creating defenses while he would talk smack whenever he thought he killed me. Then would get frustrated and talk more smack. He got lucky cause I didn't time my attack well enough and pretty much let him do this to me.

I asked for a rematch and upon acceptance, marine rushed his ass back to Copper league.

Hopefully this was the first and last smack-talker.

Ashhong

Corum said:
Try to time your push when an upgrade just completes, like +1 weapon or stim pack finishes. Then rally all your production buildings to where you're attacking and just keep streaming your army in as you attack. This worked for me yesterday, the constant pressure just whittled away at my opponent even though he was in a much stronger position than me.

problem with that that i find is that reinforcements come in like groups of 3-4, which if the enemy has any army at all, will just get steamrolled. i guess i could group them just outside and send them in waves

IceMarker

Ashhong said:
problem with that that i find is that reinforcements come in like groups of 3-4, which if the enemy has any army at all, will just get steamrolled. i guess i could group them just outside and send them in waves
Get a 1:1 ratio of Mards and Marines, send a good amount of them half-way to two-thirds a way to your opponents base, have them wait until your next wave of MM is done training, then proceed to attack with your army in the middle/two-thirds mark. Keep sending in MM from your own base and keep stacking until they can't take it anymore.

If your initial push fails just fall back until your reinforcements arrive, push again, if another fail rinse and repeat.

Trust me this tactic wins almost 80% of the time if your opponent fast expands or decides to tech to a tier 2 unit or higher.

fanboi

Banned
^ Well then, need to add you.

Belgorim --> belgorim.alvar
corum --> corum.corum
Des0lar --> Desolar.darudin
fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
maniac-kun --> maniackun.gaf
msv --> msv.whaeva
raphier --> rainy.raphier
twdnewh_k --- Crpt.twdnewh
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf
mcbradders --> mcbradders.mcbradders

Tournament:

fanboi --> fanboi.gaf

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
fanboi said:
^ Well then, need to add you.

corum --> corum.corum
fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
msv --> msv.whaeva
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf
mcbradders --> mcbradders

Can I add you guys from the battle.net web portal thingy or do I have to do it in-game?

sasimirobot

Love reaper harass and then Thor rush.

Does anyone have some tips for Macro? I really really suck at mid/end game, don't know when to expand or how to group a large army well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
maniac-kun said:
iam usualy going with 4 workers for gas per mine as protoss is that ok?
4 is oversaturation, I'm pretty sure.

Yaweee

maniac-kun said:
iam usualy going with 4 workers for gas per mine as protoss is that ok?

No, it isn't.

The rate gas collection from 3(1) and 4(1) are identical. 3 miners saturates 1 geyser completely for all intents and purposes. In Brood War the rate of gas collection of 4 vs 3 was approximately 4 more gas for every 200, so the difference between 3(1) and 4(1) has not significantly changed between Brood War and SC2.

The graph in the linked article shows the plots for each scenario overlapping identically.

Corum

corum --> corum.corum
fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
msv --> msv.whaeva
V_Arnold -> Oldern.gaf

Tournament:

fanboi --> fanboi.gaf
corum --> corum.corum

I'm game.

Shambles

FleckSplat said:
For those who preordered from Amazon, how long did it take you to get beta keys?

I order Saturday and am waiting. Of course it says up to 5 business days so really they're only a couple hours into the first business day.

mbmonk

Orangepeel said:
An interesting point made for 2 gas split with 2/1 workers

If you mean 2 geysers with 3 workers and split the workers 2 in 1 geyser and 1 in the other geyser, yea that is pretty interesting. But then you get into return on investment, and that it is more efficient to go 3 workers in 1 geyser. Then build the second geyser and put 3 on it. If you have already build both refineries, then splitting 2/1 makes sense because you have already spent the money at that point. But ideally you would want to max out the first geyser and then build the 2nd one.

Still that is pretty interesting article. The fact that you get 2 gas per second with 3 workers per geyser can help in terms knowing how long you have to mine gas to make 1 unit of 'X'.

So for Protoss I think a Stalker is 50 gas. So if I have just 1 geyser (early game scenario) maxed out then it takes me 25 seconds to get the gas required.

This stuff just interests me in general.

Apath

maniac-kun said:
nice the editor is a little complicated to handle is there any tutorial?
There are a few up on Youtube, but be warned: it appears the first modders of the SC2 universe are absolutely god-awful public speakers/tutorial makers. They are quiet, use a lot of unnecessary language, and have terrible pacing.

Here is one of the more bearable terraining tutorials I found:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Rickilicious#p/u/9/pQ42ZjYNYPU
Here is one that gives absolute basics from someone who probably has never done this before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j8Ygo1cEugp
Here is another terraining tutorial from someone who is also awful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyn4ag7QB3A

Sorry, I'm a bit grumpy right now :D Anyways you shouldn't start off with triggers. Get used to terraining, then move onto unit editing, and then finally triggers. That is, in my opinion, the best way to go in terms of getting used to the editor and the difficulty levels involved (terraining being easiest and triggers being hardest).

slightly off topic but I have a question, does anyone know if you can pay in full for a pre order online? I preordered sc2 last week and I totaly forgot I am closing the account that I purchased the game with soon so I would love to pay in full right now or something.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
fanboi said:
Note against Zerg when playing zerg...

dont 15 hatch... never ever

There's not really any reason to get a second hatch before pool.

blitz64

My USA account

Blitz.gaf

Played my first game against AI. It felt good winning.
Yes I know the AI sucks...
The AI even knows how to say 'gg'

Balance things:

1. As I've stated before, the flying medic is ridiculous for Terran, and IMO less of a viable strategy than the field medics.

2. I do NOT like how you can not mass-employ a given super power (i.e. multiple nukes, multiple 120mm cannons, or whatever power). Unless I'm missing something.

3. For some reason, I could not 'blink' teleport my Stalkers behind enemy troops when they were being attacked.

4. I miss Reavers. Colossus is a welcome addition, but not Immortals... (IMO of course)

5. I know an update was needed, but just keep some of the original designs of the first game for crying out loud - did the probe REALLY need a redesign? I like continuity in a game, and how flashy you can make it game to game, not how often you can redesign something that doesn't need it.

6. This is just opinion. One reason I liked Starcraft is because of the ART. Look at the CG cutscenes, then look at the first game. Looks awesome, and so vastly different from other Bizzard games. Now look at WoW, its sprites and art direction. Now look at the Zerg in SC2. Its like I'm playing WoW as the Zerg, seriously. I liked the Halo Flood-type vibe I got from the Zerg, now its like controlling WoW. Major turn-off for me, very seriously. The way things are animated and move looks like its from WoW.

Take apart and criticize as necessary :)

Cheeto

Major Williams said:
6. This is just opinion. One reason I liked Starcraft is because of the ART. Look at the CG cutscenes, then look at the first game. Looks awesome, and so vastly different from other Bizzard games. Now look at WoW, its sprites and art direction. Now look at the Zerg in SC2. Its like I'm playing WoW as the Zerg, seriously. I liked the Halo Flood-type vibe I got from the Zerg, now its like controlling WoW. Major turn-off for me, very seriously. The way things are animated and move looks like its from WoW.
UpdatedHydralisk-thumb-640xauto-2125.jpg

I'm not seeing it

Top Bottom