• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Zen

Banned
LaneDS said:
Congrats! This is the worst page of the thread. We should talk about Starcraft 2 instead of clocks and fridges I'm thinking.

This is why you should rock 100 posts per page.

LaneDS

Ferrio said:
I've seen a couple of motherships, usually by people who are new who think they're an end all unit and not support like they really are. I have yet to successfully use one. Usually by the time I could comfortably get one myself, the game is pretty much over. Also they're pretty much just a big costly bullseye. Not only do they go down super quick, they cloak all units so people are going to force fire on the damn thing anyways. Think they only reason I'd ever want to use one is the vortex, but since I've never gotton to use it not sure how well it works in game.

I guess if you kept th ething at max range, and really force fielded the battlefield like crazy, you could use it... but man what a headache.

You should watch the Azz vs KawaiiRice on the Husky SC2 YouTube channel. Dude brings out a mothership minutes into the game and does amazing things with it.

Actually, here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/user/huskystarcraft?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/37/LjNIZHbDTjs

Crazy match.

Zen said:
This is why you should rock 100 posts per page.

I'm boring and like my 50 posts!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
mbmonk said:
LMAO.

That is pretty cool. Despite the fact the other player intentionally drove his units into the vortex..
Putting your units into the vortex isnt a bad move usually since then they dont get easily picked off without any support.

mbmonk

Corran Horn said:
Putting your units into the vortex isnt a bad move usually since then they dont get easily picked off without any support.

Interesting. It's very counter intuitive to put your units IN the vortex. Well I guess unless they change something I will definitely move my units away :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
mbmonk said:
Interesting. It's very counter intuitive to put your units IN the vortex. Well I guess unless they change something I will definitely move my units away :D

No, the idea is that Vortex splits up forces, so that you only have to fight half of their army at a time. If your opponent moves ALL his forces into the vortex, then you have to fight the entire army at once again.

It's not the Vortex itself that does the damage.

btkadams

how do i make maps? battle.net is down for me and it thought id try it out but i cant get past the startup screen. is it in the actual game? or is it a separate program like the original sc?

btkadams

ZealousD said:
It's in a separate program. Starcraft II Editor.exe
is it in the starcraft 2 file folder you download? i can't seem to find it.

wait... ".exe" is it pc only?? i'm on mac so maybe that's why.

i know .exe files are pc not mac, i just meant is there no mac equivalent at this point.

mbmonk

ZealousD said:
No, the idea is that Vortex splits up forces, so that you only have to fight half of their army at a time. If your opponent moves ALL his forces into the vortex, then you have to fight the entire army at once again.

It's not the Vortex itself that does the damage.

I get it.

Moving your units into the vortex lets you fight with your army at full strength when it ends, but it also lets the enemy prep the combat environment to his advantage w/o any resistence. Now I had no idea that the enemy could do THAT. I was thinking about a simple storm or something to that affect. Basically that technique is a game over for people who drive into the vortex.

EDIT: I am sure they will strip the mothership of that ability just like they have all the others :D

ZealousD

btkadams said:
is it in the starcraft 2 file folder you download? i can't seem to find it.

wait... ".exe" is it pc only?? i'm on mac so maybe that's why.

I don't know whether the editor is in the mac client or not, but it should be in the same folder as the game. Have you upgraded to the latest patch?

btkadams

ZealousD said:
I don't know whether the editor is in the mac client or not, but it should be in the same folder as the game. Have you upgraded to the latest patch?
i assume so. i downloaded the game about 3 days ago.

ZealousD

mbmonk said:
I get it.

Moving your units into the vortex lets you fight with your army at full strength when it ends, but it also lets the enemy prep the combat environment to his advantage w/o any resistence. Now I had no idea that the enemy could do THAT. I was thinking about a simple storm or something to that affect. Basically that technique is a game over for people who drive into the vortex.

EDIT: I am sure they will strip the mothership of that ability just like they have all the others :D

I still think you're giving Vortex too much weight. Sure, if your opponent drives all his forces into the vortex, you can position your units a bit better, but that's not near the advantage that splitting the enemy's forces in two is.

Think of Vortex being like stasis field in Starcraft 1. In fact, Stasis Field was stronger than Vortex, because the split is FORCED. In SC2, by driving all of your units into the vortex, you can nullify some of the damage.

btkadams said:
i assume so. i downloaded the game about 3 days ago.

You might still have to update. I don't think they change the download client on every patch.

ZealousD

Yaweee said:
How do I show health bars above every unit?

For temporary viewing, I believe it's ALT. You can also make it permanent in the options menu.

StarCraft II Beta – Patch 10 (version 0.12.0.15133)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue where Larva were not dying after being cancelled.
Fixed an issue with Banelings, Brood Lords, and Overseers obeying their original Hatchery's rally point.

Lame patch, no custom maps still :(

Ashhong

ZealousD said:
I'm referring to Patch 9. Required to access the map editor.

oh, no im talking about patch 11. i tried opening sc2 and it says it needs to dl a new patch, but doesnt actually let me dl it yet

MisterAnderson said:
Lame patch, no custom maps still :(

semi sure thats the previous patch notes. notice the larvae bug. i remember when that larvae patch was released, it was still showing the previous old patch notes

btkadams

ZealousD said:
I still think you're giving Vortex too much weight. Sure, if your opponent drives all his forces into the vortex, you can position your units a bit better, but that's not near the advantage that splitting the enemy's forces in two is.

Think of Vortex being like stasis field in Starcraft 1. In fact, Stasis Field was stronger than Vortex, because the split is FORCED. In SC2, by driving all of your units into the vortex, you can nullify some of the damage.

You might still have to update. I don't think they change the download client on every patch.
wouldn't i have not been able to play though? i've been playing ever since i downloaded. and im not sure where i can go to upgrade?

ZealousD

btkadams said:
wouldn't i have not been able to play though? i've been playing ever since i downloaded. and im not sure where i can go to upgrade?

If you've been playing then you have the latest patch. If the editor isn't in your Starcraft II folder, then I guess the Mac beta just doesn't have access to the editor yet.

Ashhong

btkadams said:

if its not in the applications -> starcraft 2 folder, there probably just isnt a map editor for mac. the game automatically updates when you sign on, so you should be up to date. try a spotlight search?

edit: stop saying what im saying zealous!

mbmonk

ZealousD said:

Did you watch that youtube video?

Dude lost his entire army w/o a shot. If they fix that tactic/bug then driving in makes sense, but currently it does NOT. Unless you know of a way out of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_rK5sCmR4

Ashhong

mbmonk said:
Did you watch that youtube video?

Dude lost his entire army w/o a shot. If they fix that tactic/bug then driving in makes sense, but currently it does NOT. Unless you know of a way out of it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C_rK5sCmR4

the only thing wrong there is the ability to force field over vortex. if they remove that, voila. vortex itself is not overpowered and will stay in the game

Ferrio

Banned
ZealousD said:
Okay, I didn't see that.

That's pretty clearly a major bug.

Major bug how?

That took a shit load of sentries, the amount of resources to do such a tactic would be pretty crazy. The video was set up to demonstrate a neat combo, but I'd be surprised if it's ever used in such a way it becomes abusive. Until someone can pull it off effectively and repeatably it's not overpowered.

mbmonk

I understand that blizzard has to piss in somebodies cornflakes when they take down Bnet. But damn this is prime East Coast playing time.

Why are you fucking with my emotions blizzard?! :D

I guess I will watch a day 9 daily and then check back

Ashhong

Ferrio said:
Major bug how?

That took a shit load of sentries, the amount of resources to do such a tactic would be pretty crazy. The video was set up to demonstrate a neat combo, but I'd be surprised if it's ever used in such a way it becomes abusive. Until someone can pull it off effectively and repeatably it's not overpowered.

you can pull that off with like...5 sentries with full energy? you dont have to use as many FFs either, just cover up most of the vortex

ZealousD

Ferrio said:
Major bug how?

That took a shit load of sentries, the amount of resources to do such a tactic would be pretty crazy.

1 mothership and 8 sentries. Probably could be done with even fewer sentries.

That's not really a "shit load".

Ferrio

Banned
ZealousD said:

That's a lot of gas. Not to mention what you would have to spend to tech up to that, as well as supporting army to keep the other player at bay while you build this up.

Even if cost isn't an issue, once players realize that it's a technique available they won't shove their whole army in the vortex on purpose.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i was just thinking about it and itd be cool if brood war was remade exactly the same way in starcraft2 via the map editor. they have firebats and medics in single player so i assume that they have every old unit in there. maybe they could use it in korean sc leagues for better observer functionality, graphics and balancing that they control. the only thing that would be different is the pathing

Yaweee

ZealousD said:

8 sentries is pretty normal for a Protoss army that is late game enough for a Mothership, and they don't even require any additional tech or research. Them units be standard.

I'm guessing overlapping Psistorms would not only work, but would in fact be better for the job due its higher DPS than Collosi blasts.

ZealousD

I brought this up in the Bug Report forum in the battle.net forums, and somebody made a good point. It's not the force fields doing the killing, it's the colossi. All the units are in a very tight space with all the force fields, and since 4 collosi can 1 shot basically any of those units, the splash kills them all. I was confused on what was doing the killing.

So the unit composition on both sides has to be basically just right for that to work. Yeah, not really sure if its overpowered anymore.

Yaweee said:
I'm guessing overlapping Psistorms would not only work, but would in fact be better for the job due its higher DPS than Collosi blasts.

I dont think psistorms stack.

Ferrio

Banned
Yaweee said:
8 sentries is pretty normal for a Protoss army that is late game enough for a Mothership, and they don't even require any additional tech or research. Them units be standard.

And that's my point, it's late in the game. So either the game is already lopsided as hell cause the protoss has a huge army and mothership flying around so it doesn't really matter, or both players have so much going for them this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Ashhong

ZealousD said:
I brought this up in the Bug Report forum in the battle.net forums, and somebody made a good point. It's not the force fields doing the killing, it's the colossi. All the units are in a very tight space with all the force fields, and since 4 collosi can 1 shot basically any of those units, the splash kills them all. I was confused on what was doing the killing.

So the unit composition on both sides has to be basically just right for that to work. Yeah, not really sure if its overpowered anymore.

i dont think anybody else thought it was the force field killling them...but the fact that they are so close to the vortex forces the units to all spawn in one spot, vulnerable to the colossi. its still pretty overpowered, all you need are colossi, sentries, and a mothership to wipe out an entire army, assuming of course they all jump in the vortex. of course this is probably a final battle situation, in which case the opponents army wont be small enough to simply be sucked into the vortex

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mothership too slow/costly to make that strat viable. Except in maps like Twilight Fortress but it isn't a real map.

Thought I'd play some SC1 while the beta was down.

Wow... :lol Dunno how I'm gonna complete my re-play through of SC1 and Brood War before SC2 launches.

Ferrio said:
And that's my point, it's late in the game. So either the game is already lopsided as hell cause the protoss has a huge army and mothership flying around so it doesn't really matter, or both players have so much going for them this wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Just because it's late in the game doesn't mean the game is lopsided. The fact that this strategy can potentially decimate an army of ANY size with 5-8 sentries, a few Collosi and a Mothership (the Sentries and Collosi being pretty standard fare in a Toss army) in basically ONE shot tells me that this should definitely be looked at. Sure this works in conjunction with a nuke as well, but that requires you have a Terran teammate and requires more coordination to make it work. It can't be used in 1v1 matches, which is really where balance is most important.

And I'm not quite sure why you keep claiming that 5-8 Sentries costs SO much gas and it's therefor warranted. Most games as Toss I almost always build at least 5-8 Sentries no problem.

Fact of the matter is, yes, it certainly could be a lopsided late game, but it could just as easily be lopsided against the Toss' favor and one well placed Vortex could easily win the game with this tactic, you know? I guess at the very least, it probably isn't a good idea to rush your entire army into a Vortex knowing that this strat exists, but still. It just doesn't seem like it's working as intended.

Pai Pai Master said:
Thought I'd play some SC1 while the beta was down.

Wow... :lol Dunno how I'm gonna complete my re-play through of SC1 and Brood War before SC2 launches.

/eagerly awaits someone to remake SC1 using the SC2 map editor.

ZealousD said:

Pretty sure they do. In 1 of the battle reports blizz posted on the SCII site david kim does a tripple psi storm to win a battle (or it was the guy he was fighting, I forget but it had dave in it).

Yaweee

Was there anyone active in the Starcraft 1 games GAF played a while back that doesn't have access to the SC2 beta yet?

I'm expecting Bnet to be down for a full day for a patch that only adds Facebook functionality.

Ferrio

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
, but still. It just doesn't seem like it's working as intended.

We can go back and forth about theory all we want on whether it's a bug or overpowered or what not. But until it's actually used in a game and is effective, there's no point in asking for it's removal. If it can be feasibly abused and is abused, then yes I'm right beside everyone and it should be taken out.

Top Bottom