• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Yoshichan said:
Thanks! Oh, and what's the point of getting 2x Assimilators as Protoss if they're both next to each other? Do I get x2 more gas or what?

building one on gas allows you to collect gas from it, you still need to send probs to collect it once it is built. One prob can collect from one at a time and any other probes you have told to collect from it will end up queueing until they get in (this is why you should only have a max of 2 probes per gas so 1 goes in while the other goes back).

Also if you are new I advise learning to cannon rush on maps with small cokepoints leading into your base. Even if your rushing prob gets spotted you can still use turtle up since you have not wasted any ore.

Cheeto

ChronicleX said:
building one on gas allows you to collect gas from it, you still need to send probs to collect it once it is built. One prob can collect from one at a time and any other probes you have told to collect from it will end up queueing until they get in (this is why you should only have a max of 2 probes per gas so 1 goes in while the other goes back).

Also if you are new I advise learning to cannon rush on maps with small cokepoints leading into your base. Even if your rushing prob gets spotted you can still use turtle up since you have not wasted any ore.
You should have 3 probes on gas.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
fanboi said:

Also my internet is stabilising so barring all issues last time i can cast some of the games, if i have a trouble live i can always cast the replays if you get them to me, tests have shown casting replays is fine (i did a test cast with a 2v2 Gaf game and it was fine)

Cheeto said:
You should have 3 probes on gas.

If you use 3 then the 3rd one ends up waiting outside while 1 is inside and the other is dropping off but since I am a tit I'll give 3 per gas a go next game and see if any probes are left waiting outside.

In Short - I hope you are right :lol

fanboi

Banned
Mr Cola said:

Also my internet is stabilising so barring all issues last time i can cast some of the games, if i have a trouble live i can always cast the replays if you get them to me, tests have shown casting replays is fine (i did a test cast with a 2v2 Gaf game and it was fine)

You should also sign up! :p

ChronicleX said:
If you use 3 then the 3rd one ends up waiting outside while 1 is inside and the other is dropping off but since I am a tit I'll give 3 per gas a go next game and see if any probes are left waiting outside.

You need 3 probes on gas for maximum effect. Don't put 4 because you will collect at the same exact rate as 3.

cramcakes

ChronicleX said:

There was an analysis done a few days ago. Technically there is some "waste" with a 3rd worker, but it's still a worthwhile increase over 2.

LaneDS

Yoshi, if you're playing a Terran player, I recommend making your first unit a stalker. If you pump out three zealots and he shows up with one reaper, the game is over.

And really, there is no set path/build order. Scouting and being flexible is the key to winning. If you scout and see a tech lab, you'll want that stalker, but if you scout and find something else maybe zealots are the way to go. It's not easy, but it'll make you a much better player if you get used to good scouting while concurrently building to counter.

LaneDS said:
Zerg in general could use some late game toys, I feel spoiled as a Protoss player between the Mothership, Colossi (not really late game, but still pretty damn awesome) and good old fashioned Carriers.

That wouldn't really be in keeping with the philosophy behind the Zerg race.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
3 probes has some wastage on the third probe but it'll give you maximum returns. 2 is most cost efficient but 50 minerals shouldn't be that pressing to use up later in the game.

Don't know if this was mentioned but PR for Battle.net with facebook integration.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?100505

BATTLE.NET® AND FACEBOOK INTEGRATION ANNOUNCED

Blizzard Entertainment's next-generation online gaming platform will integrate with Facebook to enhance social gaming experience
IRVINE, Calif. – May 5, 2010 – Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. announced today that its Battle.net® gaming service will integrate with Facebook®, linking the world's premier online gaming platform with the world's most popular social platform. The first step in the integration will enable StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™ players to quickly add Blizzard gamers who are friends on Facebook to their Battle.net friend lists, facilitating their social gaming experience on the service.

"We're pleased to be working with Facebook to integrate their platform with Battle.net to enhance the social-entertainment experience for our players," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "This new functionality will make it easier than ever to connect with friends on Battle.net and play StarCraft II and future Blizzard Entertainment games together."

The new Facebook functionality in Battle.net will be tested in the near future via the ongoing StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta test and will be available to all StarCraft II players when the game ships later this year
. Information about other Facebook-related features on Battle.net will be announced at a later date.

Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc.

JWong

Banned
DMPrince said:
Don't know if this was mentioned but PR for Battle.net with facebook integration.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?100505
Oh boy. I bet I'm gonna see a lot of something like this.
2cffho1.jpg

Yaweee

ChronicleX said:
I wish facebook would just die already, it was bad enough WoW got infected with peggle.

Why the hell would anybody have a problem with mod creators making fully functioning freeware games that run inside a WoW interface window?

Yaweee said:
Why the hell would anybody have a problem with mod creators making fully functioning freeware games that run inside a WoW interface window?

A game within a game is as effective as a dishwasher that makes toast.

webrunner

ChronicleX said:

To be fair, something like WoW has a certain amount of 'down time' - taking flight points, drinking your mana back, etc. Peggle makes sense for this.

Cheeto

webrunner said:
To be fair, something like WoW has a certain amount of 'down time' - taking flight points, drinking your mana back, etc. Peggle makes sense for this.
And also, to be fair, I don't understand why people aren't pissed about a game that charges you based on *time* and wastes so much of it with *downtime*.

Yaweee

Cheeto said:
And also, to be fair, I don't understand why people aren't pissed about a game that charges you based on *time* and wastes so much of it with *downtime*.

I often hear people bitching about exactly that, but I think it is disingenuous to compare the type "time" WoW charges user to actual play time.

joelseph

ChronicleX said:

Or like a refrigerator that makes and dispenses ice or a microwave with a clock. Putting things together is stupid bro.

Ri'Orius

Yoshichan said:
Gotcha! So I shouldn't have more than 3 workers per assimalator? So 6 workers for 2 places?

9 Pylon
10 chrono boost your next 3 probes
13 Gateway
14 Assimilator
16 Pylon
Cybercore
Assimilator
2 Gateway
Twilight Council + Charge + Blink

Should I put the TC earlier or what? When exactly should I start spawning zealots? Why should I NOT upgrade all the gateways to warpgates?

Sorry for all the questions :(

Don't you waste some chrono if you start using it at 10? The way timing works in my experience, if you chrono probe 10, he'll be done when the pylon is only half completed, so you won't be able to take advantage of the chrono since you're supply blocked.

I tend to chrono at 11. I get probe 10 about eight seconds later, but I'll save some energy for a full chrono later.

Not sure it's a big deal either way, though.

Cheeto

Ri'Orius said:
Don't you waste some chrono if you start using it at 10? The way timing works in my experience, if you chrono probe 10, he'll be done when the pylon is only half completed, so you won't be able to take advantage of the chrono since you're supply blocked.

I tend to chrono at 11. I get probe 10 about eight seconds later, but I'll save some energy for a full chrono later.

Not sure it's a big deal either way, though.
If you time the build correctly and the pylon goes down at 9 as soon as it can the 11th probe will start as soon as the pylon finishes.

joelseph said:
Or like a refrigerator that makes and dispenses ice or a microwave with a clock. Putting things together is stupid bro.

The two items you mention always did that to begin so your attempt to boost your peen falls flat.

mbmonk

ChronicleX said:
The two items you mention always did that to begin so your attempt to boost your peen falls flat.

You would be incorrect on both accounts.

microwave-759481.jpg

2008_04_23-refrigerator.jpg

REBOOST EPEEN!!!

But being incorrect has never stopped you before. So just keep doing what you are doing :lol

Of course a rich man like yourself probably always had both. I definitely had a fridge w/o an ice despenser. My parent's ice despinser was me :lol

mcrae

YEAH, PYLON DOWN AS SOON AS 9 HITS ALLOWS YOU TO not be supply blocked at all.

also, whoever said that chrono boosts can stack, i don't think they can, just by observation. anyone confirm/deny?

edit: also, wasnt chronicleX the same guy complaining abotu leaving keys in this thread? dude, you need to mellow out

mbmonk

msv said:
Will watch!

Why does everyone always have to post the result in the description tho, argh that annoys me to no end. I mean WHY, that's not a description!! its a frickin spoiler!! *shakes fist*

I don't read the descriptions luckily. So it was all a surprise to me :D

Just got into beta, a few questions:

1. I started as a new player and was blocked by stones that I'm sure I didn't see when watching replays of others, is that because I'm in some newb league or?

2. What is the weakest league that plays at faster/fastest speed?

3. My first match was over before it started I believe other guy left or disconnected but I got a win, second match was closer but I managed to win so thats 2 in a row, if I win all 5 by some chance I really hope they don't put me in some high level league or will they?

4. Can you ally win? Like if you opponent is loosing you give them ally win like in original SC?

Oh and add me if you want for some 1v1
InTraining.oldblood

mbmonk

mcrae said:
YEAH, PYLON DOWN AS SOON AS 9 HITS ALLOWS YOU TO not be supply blocked at all.

Yea. I was having some problems for Protoss on how to time everything early. I pulled some of WhiteRa's replays and watch it. His builds are a thing of beauty.

Also replays show you how people hotkey their units and buildings. So that was very helpful for me as well.

mbmonk

Melhisedek said:

1. I started as a new player and was blocked by stones that I'm sure I didn't see when watching replays of others, is that because I'm in some newb league or?

3. My first match was over before it started I believe other guy left or disconnected but I got a win, second match was closer but I managed to win so thats 2 in a row, if I win all 5 by some chance I really hope they don't put me in some high level league or will they?

4. Can you ally win? Like if you opponent is loosing you give them ally win like in original SC?

InTraining.oldblood

1) Yea. The first couple of games are in the 'Practice' league I believe. After a couple of those you play your placement games. You placement games are on the 'faster' speed and the anti rush rocks are removed. Victories in your 5 placement matches roughly break down like this

1 win = Copper League
2 wins = Bronze League
3 wins = silver League
4 wins = Gold League
5 wins = Plat League
?? 0 wins = Practice League??

I think that is how it works.

2) Copper

3) answered with response to 1

4) good question :lol

Psy-Phi

ChronicleX said:
Always? No offense intended, but you must be very young, or unwilling to acknowledge just how old Refrigerators and Microwaves are. Neither of those things were on those two devices until they had been out for decades. Especially the ice and water dispenser.

Microwaves had a few knobs, and an analog readout similar to the first radios with a needle on a pre-printed timer. No clock. Even some of the cheaper microwave models from the 70's just had a knob timer similar to an egg timer, and no clock. I wasn't born until 80, but my mother still had one of those microwaves until late into the 80's.

Refrigerators with water/ice dispensers? Those are quite new. Like the last 20 years.

Now, why in the hell am I talking about these things in a SC2 thread. Well done Chronicle.

Anyway, anybody got any Terran v Zerg tips? I tend to either get swarmed by zerglings, or Mutalisks. If I build to try and defend one the other gets me later. If I try to preemtpively build against the mutas, the zerglings get me early.

I know I suck at the game but I'm trying to get better, I'm in the copper league :(, win about half the games I play now (better than my first two days...oh man), but when I fight Zerg it's a challenge. Probably 1 out of 3 or 4 I win.

mcrae

Melhisedek said:

InTraining.oldblood

1. there are novice versions of maps, that have rocks blocking your ramp, for use in the practice league. once you do placement matches (not practice matches) they will go away. some maps still have them to slow down certain routes, but you won't be walled in.

2. practice league plays at normal speed, and all other leagues play at fastest

3. right now you're doing practice matches, you still need to do 5 placement matches. practices dont affect which league you go into, only placements do

4. not in the current gamemode, but im sure you can once bnet goes live, depending on the mode you play

mcrae

mbmonk said:
1 win = Copper League
2 wins = Bronze League
3 wins = silver League
4 wins = Gold League
5 wins = Plat League
?? 0 wins = Practice League??

I think that is how it works.

im pretty convinced that the number of placement match wins your opponents have, your actions per minute, resource spending, army size.... all factor in to which league you get into. i believe ive gotten into gold with only 3 wins. anyways, i hope that it doesnt go only by win/loss

Ferrio

Banned
Melhisedek said:

The practice game maps have roadblocks that must be destroyed. This allows players to actually practice without being rushed. It's not really how games go, but lets new players get a feel of the game.

Not sure, but I was under the impression all leagues play the same fastest speed. Only practice games are slow.

It also depends what your opponents wins/losses were too. Also make sure you're doing placement matches and not practice, two different things.

No, least not for ladder. For custom games.. maybe.

Instro

You know I dont know why people say gg and gl when they complain at losses anyway. Was playing Protoss player earlier, held off his early attacks, and medivaced a ghost into his base and nuked his gatherers. Hes like "super lame" and quit.

Anyway Im getting better as a Terran player, im not quite fast enough to end games in an early rush, but I can at least hold off other players rushes and tech up to air units quicker.

Top Bottom