• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mbmonk

mcrae said:
im pretty convinced that the number of placement match wins your opponents have, your actions per minute, resource spending, army size.... all factor in to which league you get into. i believe ive gotten into gold with only 3 wins. anyways, i hope that it doesnt go only by win/loss

You are probably correct. Nevermind that part of my answer :lol

mbmonk

Instro said:
You know I dont know why people say gg and gl when they complain at losses anyway. Was playing Protoss player earlier, held off his early attacks, and medivaced a ghost into his base and nuked his gatherers. Hes like "super lame" and quit.

Anyway Im getting better as a Terran player, im not quite fast enough to end games in an early rush, but I can at least hold off other players rushes and tech up to air units quicker.

Lol. It's hard to smile when some drops a nuke on your ass.

That will put almost anyone in a bad mood. :D

mcrae

simply 3 turrets around/in gathering line will hold off mutas quite well. place them so the middle one covers the other two, and the outer two almost touch each other, and you're golden. the only way you can break that with mutas is if you invest HEAVILY into them, and if you do that, well the terran's mmm ball will be wreaking havoc at your base

...mutas should never be a threat to a properly proportioned mmm ball anyways

ryan-ts

I just started playing the original Starcraft with a friend of mine, I get beat every time. Any tips for me to crush his soul (other than keep playing and getting better)?

mcrae said:
simply 3 turrets around/in gathering line will hold off mutas quite well. place them so the middle one covers the other two, and the outer two almost touch each other, and you're golden. the only way you can break that with mutas is if you invest HEAVILY into them, and if you do that, well the terran's mmm ball will be wreaking havoc at your base

...mutas should never be a threat to a properly proportioned mmm ball anyways
What is that proportion, anyway?

mbmonk

Melhisedek said:
Thx guys, any idea on how long the beta will last

They haven't said when it's ending. They are releasing 3v3 and 4v4 patch in May. So hopefully at least until the end of May.

Q. Do you plan to implement 3v3 and 4v4 match-ups at some point during the beta? If so, when?
A. We do intend to release 3v3 and 4v4 matchmaking in the beta around the middle of May. We will likely limit the number of maps because we still want players to primarily focus on 1v1 games to continue to help test balance.

mcrae

The Lamonster said:
What is that proportion, anyway?

i dont know, i pretty much only play zerg, but i keep my mutas far away from anything involving marines+medivacs. also i assumed that you had stim, but if you didnt.... get stims, definitly necessary.

Instro

mbmonk said:
Lol. It's hard to smile when some drops a nuke on your ass.

That will put almost anyone in a bad mood. :D

Yeah, but it felt great to watch his economy disappear with a big flash.

Kind of related, but is going for ghosts quickly against a Protoss player a good idea? I had planned to have a few for the EMP skill, before starting in on mid-high level units like tanks and thors.

Ferrio

Banned
I got nuked last night for the first time in a 2v2. Me and my partner were totally caught offguard, never had a nuke used against us. Took out my main economy line, but we still steam rolled. He must of really pushed for those nukes.

mbmonk said:
You would be incorrect on both accounts.

REBOOST EPEEN!!!

But being incorrect has never stopped you before. So just keep doing what you are doing :lol

Of course a rich man like yourself probably always had both. I definitely had a fridge w/o an ice despenser. My parent's ice despinser was me :lol

Without a clock a microwave would have no timer, a refrigerator that cannot dispense ice is a broken one.

you_fail-12839.jpg

joelseph

mbmonk said:
Yea. I was having some problems for Protoss on how to time everything early. I pulled some of WhiteRa's replays and watch it. His builds are a thing of beauty.

Also replays show you how people hotkey their units and buildings. So that was very helpful for me as well.

How do you do both of these points? This is exactly what I need to study.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
cramcakes said:
There was an analysis done a few days ago. Technically there is some "waste" with a 3rd worker, but it's still a worthwhile increase over 2.

One of the loading messages says something along of the lines of "it takes 3 workers per patch of minerals or gas to max out efficiency".

mbmonk said:
LMAO!

Nice pic, but you are still an idiot. :lol

says the person trying to convince me and everyone else a timer is not a type of clock while also determined to contest the reality that it is possible to stick water into any type of refrigerator and have it come out as Ice.

Do not make me bring out more pictures.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Zefah said:
One of the loading messages says something along of the lines of "it takes 3 workers per patch of minerals or gas to max out efficiency".

Not max efficiency. Max saturation. You technically get more minerals per second per mineral patch with 3 workers, but you get less per worker. With 2 workers per patch, workers are constantly mining and returning minerals. With 3 workers per patch, workers have downtime where they have to wait for a patch to open up. You'll see workers bouncing across minerals a lot, crossing the streams of workers.

Once you're at 2 workers per patch, it's more efficient to expand. 22 workers per normal expansion is the magic number. 6 on gas, 16 on minerals.

cramcakes

^^^ yep
Here is the article:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=121686

3 is better than 2, but not 3 times better than one.

ChronicleX said:
says the person trying to convince me and everyone else a timer is not a type of clock while also determined to contest the reality that it is possible to stick water into any type of refrigerator and have it come out as Ice.

The fridge at my work has no freezer and thus, only makes cold water.

mcrae

ChronicleX said:

a timer isnt a clock, you idiot?

a fridge isnt below zero.... that would be called a freezer. and freezers don't dispense ice, which is what you were originally talking about..... are people really this dumb, or do this just enjoy pissing people like me off?

mbmonk

joelseph said:
How do you do both of these points? This is exactly what I need to study.

To learn his early build just slow the game down all the way really study what he does.

Here is the link to his replays: http://www.sc2win.com/?s=whitera

After you study about 3 or 4 of them you will notice a general pattern.
Here is what I have written down so far when he played against a Terran.

9 pylon
10 chrono probes
12 gate -> send probe to scout.
15 Gas
15 Chrono probes
16 pylon
17 Cyber Core
17 Pulls 3 from mineral line into Gas ( I think he was getting reaper rushed )

He switches it up depending on the map and matchup. Zerg can't really 'wall in' so you can send your scouting probe later relative to if you are playing Terran who can wall in and thus shut out your scouting drone.

As for hotkeys they are just displayed on the bottom just like normal.

Here is what I have seen so far
#1 -> Most Important unit ( Early game this is your probe scout, later it might be your 2 void rays, or you main mass of forces )
#2 -> Second group of units if neeeded.
#6 -> Nexus
#0 -> First Unit producing building type ( Gateways always )
#9 -> Second Unit producing building ( could be his Robo or Star which ever is first )

Again just watch MUTLIPLE replays and pay attention that specific topic. How is he hot keying early? How is he hotkeyed during a battle. What does he NOT hot key ( that you would have and why could his way be better). Etc.

Hope that helps

mbmonk

ChronicleX said:

No! Not more pics!!

You win. Your idiocy reigns supreme. I bow to you. :D

Ferrio

Banned
mbmonk said:
To learn his early build just slow the game down all the way really study what he does.

Here is the link to his replays: http://www.sc2win.com/?s=whitera

After you study about 3 or 4 of them you will notice a general patter.
Here is what I have written down so far when he played against a Terran.

9 pylon
10 chrono probes
12 gate -> send probe to scout.
15 Gas
15 Chrono probes
16 pylon
17 Cyber Core
17 Pulls 3 from mineral line into Gas

Heh, never seen videos... but that's pretty much my default build even down to when i scout. Of course it sometimes changes around 17 mattering what races I'm playing, or what that probe finds out. Either put up the core, or another gateway (usually when against zerg).

whats up with this trolling juniors these days?

refigenerators that dispence ice are an american thing they dont exist in the rest of the world if you dont buy the top model

like the hightech toilets are a thing of japan

toilette_DW_Wissen_1004464g.jpg

640px-Wireless_toilet_control_panel_w._open_lid.jpg

and iam using 3 workers per gas and about 25-30 for minderals per base

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
mcrae said:
a timer isnt a clock

Yes it is.
A timer is a specialized type of clock. A timer can be used to control the sequence of an event or process. Whereas a stopwatch counts upwards from zero for measuring elapsed time, a timer counts down from a specified time interval, like an hourglass. Timers can be mechanical, electromechanical, electronic (quartz), or even software as all modern computers include digital timers of one kind or another. When the set period expires some timers simply indicate so, while others operate electrical switches.

Also refrigerators (NOT fridges, there is a difference) sometimes contain freezers below them. Maybe not all but they still exist.

mcrae said:
you idiot?

treasury-fail.jpg

ZealousD said:
Once you're at 2 workers per patch, it's more efficient to expand. 22 workers per normal expansion is the magic number. 6 on gas, 16 on minerals.

Cheers for that info. I was never sure how many probes to stick on minerals per expansion, I just kept making them until my base got crowded :lol

LaneDS

Congrats! This is the worst page of the thread. We should talk about Starcraft 2 instead of clocks and fridges I'm thinking.

Thank you for those links to the WhiteRa replays. Very helpful stuff it seems like.

cramcakes

ZealousD said:
Wrong article. That's for gas. The idea behind that article was that you technically get more gas per SCV with 2 vs 3, but the difference is essentially negligible. It's best to do 3 workers per gas.

Ah. I should have quoted Zefah instead of pointing at your post. Thanks for the mineral info. I'm getting antsy waiting for my beta key and getting a bit tired of just watching games on Youtube.

cramcakes said:
Ah. I should have quoted Zefah instead of pointing at your post. Thanks for the mineral info. I'm getting antsy waiting for my beta key and getting a bit tired of just watching games on Youtube.

I heard it is possible to pre-order it on Amazon.de to get a key instantly then cancel your pre-order (if you want in on the EU beta that is). You'll get a key free for no cost.

Slacker

Ferrio said:
I got nuked last night for the first time in a 2v2. Me and my partner were totally caught offguard, never had a nuke used against us. Took out my main economy line, but we still steam rolled. He must of really pushed for those nukes.
I've played around 50 matches and have only seen an attempted nuke twice, in the same game. I've never actually seen one go off.

For that matter I've never seen an Ultralisk, an Archon, or a Mothership.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Fridges being Armored is too much of a liability, they should be Light.

Clocks are overpowered, especially when you chrono boost them.

Ferrio

Banned
Slacker said:
I've played around 50 matches and have only seen an attempted nuke twice, in the same game. I've never actually seen one go off.

For that matter I've never seen an Ultralisk, an Archon, or a Mothership.

I've seen a couple of motherships, usually by people who are new who think they're an end all unit and not support like they really are. I have yet to successfully use one. Usually by the time I could comfortably get one myself, the game is pretty much over. Also they're pretty much just a big costly bullseye. Not only do they go down super quick, they cloak all units so people are going to force fire on the damn thing anyways. Think they only reason I'd ever want to use one is the vortex, but since I've never gotton to use it not sure how well it works in game.

I guess if you kept th ething at max range, and really force fielded the battlefield like crazy, you could use it... but man what a headache.

Ri'Orius

Cheeto said:
If you time the build correctly and the pylon goes down at 9 as soon as it can the 11th probe will start as soon as the pylon finishes.

Really? Even if you chrono the tenth probe? My tenth probe always finishes right as the pylon is finishing without the CB...

I'll take a look at the WhiteRa replays; maybe I'm doing something wrong...

mbmonk

Ri'Orius said:
Really? Even if you chrono the tenth probe? My tenth probe always finishes right as the pylon is finishing without the CB...

I'll take a look at the WhiteRa replays; maybe I'm doing something wrong...

No you are right. WhiteRa chrono boosts as soon as the 9 supply pylon becomes active.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
was just watching a US stream, lzgamer and it said b.net was going down in 10 :eek:

Cant find any news of it on Uk b.net

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Asian and Eu servers are up and fine, sounds more like general maintenance

Top Bottom