• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ChronicleX said:
Pretty sure they do. In 1 of the battle reports blizz posted on the SCII site david kim does a tripple psi storm to win a battle (or it was the guy he was fighting, I forget but it had dave in it).
They don't.

Yaweee

Just so people are aware, Bnet is back up without a patch. Close the installer window, then just open SC2 again to log on.

Zaptruder

Banned
Seems like that vortex ff colossus strat is quite ideal for turtling late game.

Wait until your opponent moves towards your 200/200 base, hit them with it, and counter attack immediately.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Zaptruder said:
Seems like that vortex ff colossus strat is quite ideal for turtling late game.

Wait until your opponent moves towards your 200/200 base, hit them with it, and counter attack immediately.

The thing that sucks about this strategy emerging now is that Blizzard is probably going to wait another week to fix it in a patch.

mcrae

Ferrio said:
I've seen a couple of motherships, usually by people who are new who think they're an end all unit and not support like they really are. I have yet to successfully use one. Usually by the time I could comfortably get one myself, the game is pretty much over. Also they're pretty much just a big costly bullseye. Not only do they go down super quick, they cloak all units so people are going to force fire on the damn thing anyways. Think they only reason I'd ever want to use one is the vortex, but since I've never gotton to use it not sure how well it works in game.

I guess if you kept th ething at max range, and really force fielded the battlefield like crazy, you could use it... but man what a headache.

ive used it once in a 2v2, and i think it won us the game. i was goign carriers, aprtner was some dumb terran dude, vs a ground toss army, mutas, hydras, and roches.

the mothership clocked our wall, and all his ground units, letting our ranged units destroy his groudn army cause they couldnt get in range to attack the mothership. the mutas came in to kill the mothership and we just destoyed them. so they withdrew.

i found their new and improved stalker/hydra army sitting outside the base... vortex'd half of it, allowing me to do a good bit of damage to the other half, and when the vortex ended my partner was there to finish them off, and it was gg. so... they can be useful at times? i dont even know all of their spells, lol.

Zen said:
I was watching a few videos on them, basically they can be easily Micro'd to be useless versus relatively small forces because of how long it takes them to keep up with opponents and attack. (the exception being Zealots and Zerglings).

EDIT: Re found one

http://www.youtube.com/psystarcraft#p/u/13/H1OkkjMck1s

cool thx for the video. it makes good points however i think the general rule of thumb is never make an ultra-only army... they are best as support units. i wonder if they will be buffed...

ChronicleX said:
How long much you wait between storms to make use of them then? Also apart from psi storms what is that unit for anyway?

you look up as many versions of a clock as you can, but you dont feel like actually reading description of a unit in game......

Meeru

Banned
One thing I noticed is that units who are lifted up by the graviton beam will still block the pathing of any unit trying to get through.

mcrae

valenti said:
No one wants to just send melee units

ive used ultras maybe half as many times as ive used broodlords, and i really want to believe that i made the right choice in doing so, but i cant remember any relevant scenarios lol.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If there's going to be a nerf to that strategy, the best solution is to Colossus splash. Make it affect some fixed number of units maximum. Like make it so that it doesn't hurt more than 8 units at a time.

Meeru

Banned
mcrae said:
ive used ultras maybe half as many times as ive used broodlords, and i really want to believe that i made the right choice in doing so, but i cant remember any relevant scenarios lol.
now broodlords..you can just send those..unless he has some air units.

ZealousD said:
If there's going to be a nerf to that strategy, the best solution is to Colossus splash. Make it affect some fixed number of units maximum. Like make it so that it doesn't hurt more than 8 units at a time.

Hmm, it still seems like the issue here lies with force field. Nerfing Collosus splash damage from one extremely niche strategy involving an "exploit" using forcefield + vortex seems a little bit off to me. The issue I think lies more with the fact that forcefield + vortex is putting an army of 0-infinity supply all focused down into the size of unit on the map. That just seems wrong to me, and yes while it is the Collosi doing the damage to the units, the fact that they are all bunched up to an impossible level (it just doesn't make sense that a 200 supply army that has come out of the vortex could potentially be the size of 1 unit) just feels to me like there is something fishy amiss.

I'm not going to claim I know the answer to this, because I don't. But that's what a beta is for, and if changing Colossi splash damage mechanics is the way to go (which it very well could be) then by all means, I'm all for it. But if the Colossus splash damage is changed, the fact remains that any number of units can still be shrunken down into the size of 1 unit, which doesn't seem natural or normal to me, and feels like it's a bug.

I think that another possible solution would be to simply not allow forcefield's being cast "into" the vortex, only around the edge of it (much like the first barrier casted in that youtube video, but not the later ones). That way, you could still use force field to amplify the trapping/crowd control capabilities of the Vortex, but not to the point that an entire force of any size is squeezed into the size of 1 single marine.

mcrae said:
you look up as many versions of a clock as you can, but you dont feel like actually reading description of a unit in game......

Very hard to read the description of something I have never built, but if you really must derail the topic some more... *sigh*

Asking a question =//= rubbing an answer in your faces when your wrong.

ZealousD

MisterAnderson said:
Hmm, it still seems like the issue here lies with force field. Nerfing Collosus splash damage from one extremely niche strategy involving an "exploit" using forcefield + vortex seems a little bit off to me. The issue I think lies more with the fact that forcefield + vortex is putting an army of 0-infinity supply all focused down into the size of unit on the map. That just seems wrong to me, and yes while it is the Collosi doing the damage to the units, the fact that they are all bunched up to an impossible level (it just doesn't make sense that a 200 supply army that has come out of the vortex could potentially be the size of 1 unit) just feels to me like there is something fishy amiss.

I'm not going to claim I know the answer to this, because I don't. But that's what a beta is for, and if changing Colossi splash damage mechanics is the way to go (which it very well could be) then by all means, I'm all for it. But if the Colossus splash damage is changed, the fact remains that any number of units can still be shrunken down into the size of 1 unit, which doesn't seem natural or normal to me, and feels like it's a bug.

I think that another possible solution would be to simply not allow forcefield's being cast "into" the vortex, only around the edge of it (much like the first barrier casted in that youtube video, but not the later ones). That way, you could still use force field to amplify the trapping/crowd control capabilities of the Vortex, but not to the point that an entire force of any size is squeezed into the size of 1 single marine.

You can squish units into tiny clusters by means other than force fields. The pathfinding algorithms in the game are specifically programmed for this. Try playing around with 400 zerglings.

ZealousD said:
You can squish units into tiny clusters by means other than force fields. The pathfinding algorithms in the game are specifically programmed for this. Try playing around with 400 zerglings.

Yeah, but not all balled up to the size of 1 zergling, lol. (unless I'm mistaken?) I thought they specifically programmed the pathing algorithms to avoid overly bunching up like it was possible in BW (specifically, Muta's come to mind).

mcrae

MisterAnderson said:

well, you could still squish units into a square of one, just without the vortex... obviously not an extremely large army though

Man I'm having a hard time grasping how to make a custom game using the data/trigger editor. I have a game idea in my head so I'll be trying to learn it to be able to make this custom game type idea I have, and ultimately I want to learn the editor enough to make a mod that I've had an idea for for the past year but have not been able to do anything with the idea since I am shit at coding...hope I'm able to learn the editor.

Anyway, anyone down for some 1v1 or 2v2? I'm bored.

Just got matched up TvT on Kulas against a silver player (im bronze).

He beat me in about 15 minutes. Had a full army of marines and tanks before I had my vehicle factory out.

Watched the replay to see what he did, and it was nothing special. He just wasn't trying any shenanigans like fast teching to banshees or reapers to go for my workers, just a single barracks with a reactor core and 2 vehicle factories. He never even upgraded his CC. He was smart about scouting and covering the map, which I guess isnt too common in bronze :) Left a single marine at the major expansion sites, scouted into my base with 2 marines, didn't get a good look at what was going on.

My next match was the same exact match up, TvT on Kulas.

Tried this dudes exact strategy, covering the map the same way and it worked for me too. Save for my opponent WAS going banshees, and my scouting paid off in that I was able to set up a barrage of turrets in time to counter them. Dude had 0 ground units, so of course my small army got him. I got lucky in upgrading to orbital command and saving my energy for scans.

Ashhong

man, air units just destroy me as a terran. whether its mass void rays or mass mutalisks, i keep getting destroyed. whats the best counter? i try to get a bunch of marines but its just not enough. and vikings suck against mutas right?

Meeru

Banned
Ashhong said:
man, air units just destroy me as a terran. whether its mass void rays or mass mutalisks, i keep getting destroyed. whats the best counter? i try to get a bunch of marines but its just not enough. and vikings suck against mutas right?
Hmm with the mutas..does he harass you first with a smaller number? You must have enough marines for him to move back a bit. One you see those you build an engineering bay if you not have done so and make turrets so that he won't be able to attack. Mutas and void rays have horrible range so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. And marines are actually the counter for mutas. Vikings do suck against mutas, but work against void rays. I always tend to get a couple of vikings for void rays.

Man sitting at rank 5 1v1 right now. I really wish I knew how many points I need to reach to the top :lol

Feep

Banned
Hey, everyone.

My attempts to download the client are met the with "Tracker not responding" error. This is weird; it's an allowed exception through the Windows Firewall, I have no trouble downloading/torrenting, and it's a pretty new install of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Anyone have any ideas, or things I should check?

Tacitus_

If your bases aren't too spread out, Thors own mutas (12 x 4 dmg to light and it does splash damage). Marines counter Void Rays since they are light units so the Void Rays don't gain their bonus damage.

Stryder

Feep said:
Hey, everyone.

My attempts to download the client are met the with "Tracker not responding" error. This is weird; it's an allowed exception through the Windows Firewall, I have no trouble downloading/torrenting, and it's a pretty new install of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Anyone have any ideas, or things I should check?
I had these problems.

I downloaded the updates manually using uTorrent and then placed them in the update directory. Once I had done that I loaded the game again, it would find the patch data and patch the game, and then proceed to download the next patch.

I did this like 10 times before I was able to run the game. :lol

edit: Forgot to mention, look in the Starcraft\Updates folder for the .torrent files with which to download the patch data.

w3stfa11

So if I try to play a custom unranked game, will they be in the same league as me or is it completely random and it's possible I could play someone in Platinum?

ZealousD

MisterAnderson said:
Yeah, but not all balled up to the size of 1 zergling, lol. (unless I'm mistaken?) I thought they specifically programmed the pathing algorithms to avoid overly bunching up like it was possible in BW (specifically, Muta's come to mind).

If you can get them into a tight enough space, they'l do it. Get on Kulas Ravine, and you'll find out you can stick 400 zerglings on one of those little watch tower ledges in the middle.

I remember seeing a video where somebody got 400 zerglings on a platform just big enough for a nydus worm, but I can't seem to find it now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did they change something? I just played 6 games in a row where each of my opponents employed the exact same strategy of rushing me with 6 zerglings. I lost 5 matches and barely survived the initial rush on the 6th playing Terran every game.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
what league?
I noticed after that larvae bug, even after fixed, I get rushed by lings all the time

They looks great Corran. Now we just need valeni and FromTheFuture to announce a time and date lol.
Thx

Meeru

Banned
Zefah said:
Did they change something? I just played 6 games in a row where each of my opponents employed the exact same strategy of rushing me with 6 zerglings. I lost 5 matches and barely survived the initial rush on the 6th playing Terran every game.
Block the choke.

Build supply depot, scout with scv, see that he has only 6 or 9ish drones while pool is being built. While building rax, save money to build supply depot

Meeru

Banned
BTW guys, for all the newcomers unaware, me and Alumnus will be playing our SC2 GAF US finals. We would love to see your support by attending and spectating the match. I want to see how many spectators we can mass up. It'll be worth it. :lol

Corran Horn

valenti said:
BTW guys, for all the newcomers unaware, me and Alumnus will be playing our SC2 GAF US finals. We would love to see your support by attending and spectating the match. I want to see how many spectators we can mass up. It'll be worth it. :lol
when?

Corran Horn

valenti said:
I really would like to do it today at 7pmish central time. But that all depends if Alumnus's schedule will work with that..plus all the newcomers.
cool ill try to be online. Need to start another NA tourny :D

ZealousD

valenti said:
I really would like to do it today at 7pmish central time. But that all depends if Alumnus's schedule will work with that..plus all the newcomers.

Figures. You guys had to pick a time when I'd be at work! :lol

Ashhong

valenti said:
Hmm with the mutas..does he harass you first with a smaller number? You must have enough marines for him to move back a bit. One you see those you build an engineering bay if you not have done so and make turrets so that he won't be able to attack. Mutas and void rays have horrible range so it shouldnt be too much of a problem. And marines are actually the counter for mutas. Vikings do suck against mutas, but work against void rays. I always tend to get a couple of vikings for void rays.

Man sitting at rank 5 1v1 right now. I really wish I knew how many points I need to reach to the top :lol

on both occasions, the mutas came in a massive group that wiped my marines. i usually build even amounts of mar and marines, so my marine count was huge. i didnt see his mutas until i went in to harass with my banshees, which didnt give me enough time to setup my turrets.

problem with void rays, is that they are just waaaay to good at taking out a base. once they get that powerup, they pretty much never lose it since they can just focus onto the next building asap, its ridiculous.

Meeru

Banned
Ashhong said:
on both occasions, the mutas came in a massive group that wiped my marines. i usually build even amounts of mar and marines, so my marine count was huge. i didnt see his mutas until i went in to harass with my banshees, which didnt give me enough time to setup my turrets.

problem with void rays, is that they are just waaaay to good at taking out a base. once they get that powerup, they pretty much never lose it since they can just focus onto the next building asap, its ridiculous.
Ok from now on only use the 50 energy on scan.

Feep

Banned
Stryder said:
I had these problems.

I downloaded the updates manually using uTorrent and then placed them in the update directory. Once I had done that I loaded the game again, it would find the patch data and patch the game, and then proceed to download the next patch.

I did this like 10 times before I was able to run the game. :lol

edit: Forgot to mention, look in the Starcraft\Updates folder for the .torrent files with which to download the patch data.
No, I can't even download the *client*, let alone patches. Here's the log:

05/06/10 01:32:34.8672 Bonjour service is running.
05/06/10 01:32:34.8675 Downloader initializing...
05/06/10 01:32:34.8678 Creating Firewall interface
05/06/10 01:32:34.8680 Success!
05/06/10 01:32:34.8682 Enabling Microsoft Firewall UPnP Framework
05/06/10 01:32:34.8684 Success!
05/06/10 01:32:34.8687 Enabling Blizzard Downloader on Windows Firewall
05/06/10 01:32:34.8689 Success!
05/06/10 01:32:34.8692 Creating Firewall interface
05/06/10 01:32:34.8694 Success!
05/06/10 01:32:34.8696 Creating Microsoft Firewall Rule: Blizzard Downloader: 3724
05/06/10 01:32:34.8699 Success!
05/06/10 01:32:34.8701 Creating UPnP interface
05/06/10 01:32:34.8703 Getting UPnPDevice Information
05/06/10 01:32:34.8705 Found Bonjour service and registering a local peer.
05/06/10 01:32:34.8708 Connecting to: http://us.tracker.worldofwarcraft.com:3724/announce with 1
05/06/10 01:32:34.8710 Failed to connect to tracker.
05/06/10 01:32:50.8659 No UPnP Device Found.
05/06/10 01:32:50.8682 Creating Windows UPnPEngine interface
05/06/10 01:32:50.8703 Getting UPnPDevice Information
05/06/10 01:32:59.9366 UPnP Device Found:
05/06/10 01:32:59.9389 Manufacturer: NETGEAR, Inc.
05/06/10 01:32:59.9411 Model: RangeMax(TM) Wireless Router
05/06/10 01:32:59.9438 Model Number: WPN824v2
05/06/10 01:32:59.9461 Device URL: http://192.168.1.1/start.htm
05/06/10 01:33:09.8392 External port has been successfully mapped.

I tried added port forwarding to both my router and my firewall, to no success. What's going on?

Edit: Forget everything I just said. PeerBlock 1.0 was blocking it, not the firewall. We're good.

Top Bottom