• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

mcrae

Des0lar said:
The SCV easily get's out of attack range while it's building the refinery. Sure you're not gonna finish the refinery, but you don't have to. As long as you keep pressure up, he won't be able to use his units to destroy it, and destroying it with probes takes ages.

ok, maybe im the ignorant player, but just setting a probe to attack it and forgetting doesnt solve the problem?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Eventually, you'll kill the SCV but the refinery will be half done, and you'll lose a vespene gas for about a minute or two.

JoeMartin

mcrae said:
ok, maybe im the ignorant player, but just setting a probe to attack it and forgetting doesnt solve the problem?

Well due to the way the SCV skirts around the building while constructing (and is sometimes out of attack melee attack range altogether), it ensures that you'll get somewhat far into construction.

Yaweee

Des0lar said:
The SCV easily get's out of attack range while it's building the refinery. Sure you're not gonna finish the refinery, but you don't have to. As long as you keep pressure up, he won't be able to use his units to destroy it, and destroying it with probes takes ages.

Attack move near a building under construction will make your probe/scv/drone automatically attack the enemy scv when it is in range, by my understanding.

Unless the player is stealing both of your gas geysers, don't pull of probes to destroy it. You can wait for your first Zealots/zerglings/Marines/Marauders to kill it.

Just make sure you don't let the player steal both. As soon as he does anything to your first one, immediately start construction on the other one regardless of your economic situation. It is vital, imo.

Cru Jones

JoeMartin said:
Unless you're trying to super cheese with a 6 rax reaper rush, reapers are almost pointless to build against toss since as soon as the first stalker pops out they're effectively useless (PvT is always straight to stalkers as reapers and marauders both hardcounter zealots early).

Marauder rush (not necessarily even "rush" - 10 depo 11 rax 11 gas; this gives just enough gas to immediately start chaining marauders and have conc shell finish before the first one gets to the opponent - just be very very very aggressive with your marauders from the very first one) is insanely more effective. Deals with zealots easily, marauders in equal numbers beat stalkers - the build in general creates tons and tons of pressure for the toss player and forces him to waste chrono on stalker production. If you can get an SCV in there early to steal a gas (and halt production at 90% -> manually destroy for refund when close to die) and maybe get some zealots/stalkers off the ramp even better.

If I scouted this, I would create a couple of sentries and void ray you. Pretty simple counter

Yaweee

Cru Jones said:
If I scouted this, I would create a couple of sentries and void ray you. Pretty simple counter
A group of 4~5 Marauders after a Reaper or two of a 10 rax will show up well before any Void Ray finishes, and you have to be careful not to get so many sentries that it would gas-block your first VR.

Early marauders are so damn effective because they hard counter both Zealots and Stalkers, and the high gas cost of sentries causes them to delay the actual Protoss counters to MMM.

Cru Jones

Unless it is a map with a huge ramp, I could easily hold off anything you throw at me (MM wise) with a couple sentries long enough to create voids. If I didn't feel like countering with voids, I could hold you off long enough to get immortals which would decimate your forces. Not to mention just being able to cut your force in half with a force field. I could simply just allow only a couple of your units into my base at a time.

I love when Terran uses these "fool proof" tactics against me. Again, the only time this strat would have an advantage against a toss is if it is a large ramp, it can also be difficult when there are multiple entrances, but can still be achieved by anyone who has decent maco.

Edit: Anyone who has a decent build will easily be able to stop a reaper rush. It is easy to have the first unit as a stalker and then the next two as sentries. I always get a stalker before my opponent reaches my base with their reaper.

It has been more than a month since someone has been able to pull off a successful reaper rush against me (as soon as a Protoss player is in a PvT they know to get a stalker ASAP). I have usually scouted before the cybernetics core is done so I know what I am up against even against a random.

aristotle

Prophet Steve said:
Strange, suddenly got a beta invite. Probably will get massacred since I never played Starcraft before, but I'll take my chances.

Ditto. I have SC2 downloaded but I haven't even loaded it up yet. This should be fun :p

mbmonk

Cru Jones said:
Edit: Anyone who has a decent build will easily be able to stop a reaper rush. It is easy to have the first unit as a stalker and then the next two as sentries. I always get a stalker before my opponent reaches my base with their reaper.

Really? I have yet to see a replay of someone getting the stalker out before the reaper makes it to their base. On some maps that have far apart starting positions I could see you being able to get the stalker out. But maps like desert oasis, the path the reaper takes is soo short and the Terran places the barracks as close as possible... tough to get a stalker out that fast.

I am not saying it's impossible. I just haven't seen it yet.

Cru Jones

mbmonk said:
Really? I have yet to see a replay of someone getting the stalker out before the reaper makes it to their base. On some maps that have far apart starting positions I could see you being able to get the stalker out. But maps like desert oasis, the path the reaper takes is soo short and the Terran places the barracks as close as possible... tough to get a stalker out that fast.

I am not saying it's impossible. I just haven't seen it yet.

It is important to build your first pylon, gateway, and cybernetics core directly beside your nexus. Those few seconds you save from having to build close to your choke is the difference maker (also, your stalker will appear right beside mineral line when built.

mbmonk

Cru Jones said:
It is important to build your first pylon, gateway, and cybernetics core directly beside your nexus. Those few seconds you save from having to build close to your choke is the difference maker (also, your stalker will appear right beside mineral line when built.

I admit I normally build near the choke, so that does slightly delay my Stalker. I will try to build everything near my Nexus next time. Sounds like fun :)

Yaweee

Cru Jones said:

Out of curiosity, what league are you in, and what BO is your opponent using? I thought it was widely acknowledged that somebody actually rushing Reaper (and not just pumping one out first from a Tech Lab Barracks before he starts going Marauders) would show up well before the first Stalker comes. The balance debate is whether the sacrifice the Terran had to make to produce an early Reaper is enough to justify the number of probes that he has killed, and who's economy is set back further by the tactic.

Of course he'll stop making Reapers after the first one, but the subsequent Marauders counter both Stalkers and Zealots cost-for-cost and unit-for-unit (excepting many, many zealots, which the Terran won't be able to Micro against.

There's no "fool proof" tactics in the game, but I think you're underestimating how deadly an early Reaper and Marauder can be.

Sarye

Cru Jones said:

I'm still new at this game, so correct me if I'm wrong. so after you warp a pylon at 9, you scout the T base. if the T is building or built a refinery early and instead of building a marine he builds a tech lab, most likely he's doing a reaper rush. In that case what do you do?

Do you throw a cybernetics core after your first gateway and get stalkers as fast as possible? or is that much a given?

Cru Jones said:

On this note I would like to add that in a PvZ you can double gateway either side of your ore in some maps with a pylon in the small orb gap to protect your probes from rush without having to get cannons. (depends on the map though)

Yaweee

Sarye said:
I'm still new at this game, so correct me if I'm wrong. so after you warp a pylon at 9, you scout the T base. if the T is building or built a refinery early and instead of building a marine he builds a tech lab, most likely he's doing a reaper rush. In that case what do you do?

Do you throw a cybernetics core after your first gateway and get stalkers as fast as possible? or is that much a given?

No, Terrans generally just don't get Marines early against Toss. A Tech Lab could indicate either a Marauder or a Reaper.

You have to assume it is going to be a Reaper, though, as not having a Stalker on the way will be disastrous.

ChronicleX said:
On this note I would like to add that in a PvZ you can double gateway either side of your ore in both maps with a pylon in the small orb gap to protect your probes from rush without having to get cannons. (depends on the map though)

That is a very good strategy that is less prone to Banelings than the usual choke point build. A single cannon in in the mineral line after that will do wonder.

Sarye

Yaweee said:
No, Terrans generally just don't get Marines early against Toss. A Tech Lab could indicate either a Marauder or a Reaper.

You have to assume it is going to be a Reaper, though, as not having a Stalker on the way will be disastrous.

So when playing against T as P, just assume fast Reapers are coming and get stalkers ASAP? What should the build look like then?

9 Pylon
10 Gateway
12 Cyber?
13 Assim?

Yaweee

Sarye said:
So when playing against T as P, just assume fast Reapers are coming and get stalkers ASAP? What should the build look like then?

9 Pylon
10 Gateway
12 Cyber?
13 Assim?

I'd look it up on the Team Liquid forums. There's a bit of wiggle room, but, yeah, basically. Zealots are really crappy against Terrans (even with the speed boost) so you'll want that Cybernetics Core ASAP. Both Marauders and Reapers can infinitely kite basic zealots for a kill without taking damage.

Sarye said:

Vs Terrans I tend to send in 1 of my starting probes straight away to get near there base before they wall themselfs in (depending on the map) and cannon rush. If it fails (probe gets spotted) then you can always cannon your own base to protect from reapers. This only works on the very short maps though vs Terrans but always seems to work vs Protoss/Zerg. Sometimes construction/scouting speed is more important than eco.

Sarye

Yaweee said:
I'd look it up on the Team Liquid forums. There's a bit of wiggle room, but, yeah, basically. Zealots are really crappy against Terrans (even with the speed boost) so you'll want that Cybernetics Core ASAP. Both Marauders and Reapers can infinitely kite basic zealots for a kill without taking damage.

Thanks for the help. I know it'll depend on the situation, but does that mean I should focus on stalkers with a few sentries for defense and focus on getting immortals quickly if fighting against MM. Should I also attempt to get Colossus as fast as possible?

I mostly play Ts and I admit, I MM pretty heavily as it's the simplest to do so it would be nice to know what to do against that if I'm playing P

EDIT: what if you move one probe at the start to scout early and build two assim if possible in their base.

That would be pretty hilarious but most likely won't actually work

Yaweee

Sarye said:
Thanks for the help. I know it'll depend on the situation, but does that mean I should focus on stalkers with a few sentries for defense and focus on getting immortals quickly if fighting against MM. Should I also attempt to get Colossus as fast as possible?

I mostly play Ts and I admit, I MM pretty heavily as it's the simplest to do so it would be nice to know what to do against that if I'm playing P

Most Protoss Tier 2/2.5 units are potential counters to MM.

Immortals deal pooploads of damage to Marauders (20 base, +30 against Armored) and only take half damage while their shields are up.

Collosi completely roast marines (40+ damage per to multiple targets, against the Marines 45 or 60 max HP).

Psi Storm does enough damage to pop marines and seriously damage Marauders, but it rarely gets used due to how gas expensive and time consuming that tech branch is. The 600/600 resources you're spending to cast that first psi-storm can be a crippling sacrifice.

Void Rays are super powerful if they have no vikings or a low mix of marines into the MM ball.

Phoenixes are advanced, but you can quickly snipe the Medivacs and anti-grav marines or stray marauders.

Dark Templar one-shot Marines, but Terrans have 4 ways to spot cloaked units.

Assimilator blocking their gas actually can work decently well, but it is only a temporary delay.

NIN90 said:
What's a good strat against MMM as Zerg?

Hydralisks period (tons of damage output, no bonus damage from Marauders)

Mutalisks for harass or picking of marines if they don't have many (useful if you had many roaches earlier, which would push them into getting more Marauders than Marines)

Upgraded Zerglings (particularly speed). Maybe not useful against huge balls with Medivac support, but great against smaller, early balls.

Infestors for their AoE damage/stun spell.

Many many spine crawlers.

Kinyou

Woohoo, just won my first match in which I wasn't playing against a total noob or used some cheap cheese tactics.

Thx @ Husky for his Terran tutorial.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Quick!

How do I win against Hellion rush as a protoss? Zealots obviously looses. I can't get lots of Sentries out in time due to 100 gas per unit... and I can't seem to get stalkers fast enough!

Yoshichan said:
Quick!

How do I win against Hellion rush as a protoss? Zealots obviously looses. I can't get lots of Sentries out in time due to 100 gas per unit... and I can't seem to get stalkers fast enough!
Stalkers counter Hellions

w3stfa11

w3stfa11 said:
So if I try to play a custom unranked game, will they be in the same league as me or is it completely random and it's possible I could play someone in Platinum?

Sorry to repost this, but I'd really like to know. Thanks.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Yoshichan said:
Quick!

You should be able to get Stalkers at the same time (or even before) he gets Hellions. If you see he doesn't build a second barracks and goes straight for factory, start ramping up your vespene production and get Stalkers and Blink ASAP.

Yaweee

zoukka said:

Why? A wall at the choke leading into the natural backed up by an army is pretty nice from my experience. They deal good damage with nice range and can be instantly healed for a sizable chunk by a queen. Placing them in a row with no space between then perpendicular to the path the MMM ball is coming in from will also keep them from auto-targeting on a specific one.

joelseph

I am sure this has been asked in here before but please, does anyone have any official word, speculation or educated guesses on when the beta will end?

webrunner

joelseph said:
I am sure this has been asked in here before but please, does anyone have any official word, speculation or educated guesses on when the beta will end?

I heard most Blizz betas end about a week prior to launch. I'm not sure, though.

FoxSpirit

Yaweee said:
Why? A wall at the choke leading into the natural backed up by an army is pretty nice from my experience. They deal good damage with nice range and can be instantly healed for a sizable chunk by a queen. Placing them in a row with no space between then perpendicular to the path the MMM ball is coming in from will also keep them from auto-targeting on a specific one.

He can always manually focus fire, you know. Your spines are toast in front of the Marrauders. The best bet would probably be Zerglings+Infestors+Mutas. Hold back Mutas first, two volley blasts of fungal will deal 70 damage, softening the Marrauders and killing all Marines. Go in with the mutas at the same time for the killing blow. If close to the base, attack. And burrow the Infestors to the mineral line. If you can fungal it two times, all his workers will be dead.

Of course this takes way more skill than building a MMM ball and hitting stim when the time comes but it can completely own it.

At least, that's the current strat. Problem is lings dying fast at first but thanks to the damn Rauders, Roches are out of the question. If you have armor +1 at the time of confrontation it helps a little bit.

LaneDS

webrunner said:
I heard most Blizz betas end about a week prior to launch. I'm not sure, though.

Yeah, I would guess they'd keep the beta going right up until launch. They're going to sell bucketloads of copies either way and I'm sure they're happy to keep balancing the game pre-release.

zoukka

Yaweee said:

Yes spines can be a nice support with fast expanding, but they aren't an answer to an MMM ball. Marauders will demolish the crawlers so fast you didn't realise what hit 'em.

MrDenny

Haven't played in years.
I can't remember all the units/abilities/buildings for protoss : (
Is there any beginner tutorials out there?

MrDenny said:
Haven't played in years.

There is a novice mode you can opt into when you start playing, or you can just play against the AI, which really doesn't help at all.

Meeru

Banned
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24702391825&sid=5000

So..buff to hellions? Woot

We are going to make some changes in the next patch to make Hellions a little easier to use.
We are going to be making some changes in the next patch to Phoenix to make him a little easier to use and a little more powerful.
We are going to make some changes in future patches to see if we can get some more abilities on the Overseer.
We are going to try to make him [Thor] slightly less frustrating to use in a future patch.
Infestor: His Infested Terran ability is not that useful when compared to Fungal Growth, so he really only has two useful abilities right now. We are going to try another ability in that slot in future patches.

Sarye

MrDenny said:
Haven't played in years.

not for the beta unfortunately as it's really is just a beta to test unit balance.

I would suggest reading on some build orders and just playing around with the units and what they do. You can always play against AI to play around with the units.

Yaweee

valenti said:

The full quotes:

It is no surprise that the Marauder is every Terran player’s favorite. They are hard to kill and pack quite a punch. We are surprised to see Hellion towards the bottom of the list since we are seeing so many games where they just destroy light targets. Still, we are going to make some changes in the next patch to make Hellions a little easier to use.

Again the big hitters are at the top of the list, with Colossus and Immortal leading the lists in popularity. Both very vulnerable to air attacks but with Stalkers coming up third Protoss player’s obviously feel like they can protect their heavy robotic units. We are going to be making some changes in the next patch to Phoenix to make him a little easier to use and a little more powerful.

It is good to see Baneling so high up on the list and we are surprised to see him ahead of Brood Lord. We are going to make some changes in future patches to see if we can get some more abilities on the Overseer.

Interesting that Thor is 2nd on both the favorite and least favorite units. We think that might because he does a ton of damage but is also difficult to use because of his size. We are going to try to make him slightly less frustrating to use in a future patch. His size is so large that it can make his massive guns difficult to put into position in a big fight.

A bit of a surprise to see the Infestor at the top of this list, since we are seeing so many players use them to great effect. His Infested Terran ability is not that useful when compared to Fungal Growth, so he really only has two useful abilities right now. We are going to try another ability in that slot in future patches.

LaneDS

Mudkips said:
Void Rays seriously need to lose their charge when switching targets.
Shit be ridiculous.

Even as a Protoss player I agree with this. They're a little too ridiculous when powered up.

Yaweee

The entire Void Ray mechanic is screwy. I'd prefer to see a more constant rise and decay time for the powerup, and an immediate loss (but not necessary a complete reset) when switching targets.

Like, 1 second per "charge", 5 charges max, -2 charges per second if you aren't firing on anything, and -2 or -3 charges when you switch targets.

LaneDS said:
Even as a Protoss player I agree with this. They're a little too ridiculous when powered up.

but they die very easily, take awhile to charge up. If they lost their power with switching targets they would be totally useless as they would never reach full power.

Top Bottom