• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
x1400

the little graphics card that could

you need to see it for yourself blizzard! let me in the beta pleeease!

Akia

From the various twitter accounts at BlizzHQ:

• They have a performance tab and stats after a game, as well as game play graph.
  • They also have a build order with what you built and the times.
  • All game icons are now in color, no more blue red and green icons.
  • You can rewind in replay mode now

They're getting some play time with the latest build now.
So updates are probably going to be sparse.

http://twitter.com/gearvOsh
http://twitter.com/TeamLiquidnet

Wollan

I doubt the Beta will feature the full Battle.net 2.0 feature set. They probably just have the Beta setup focused on getting you in and out of games.

Tenks

Wollan said:
Can anybody quickly explain the purpose of the iPhone Battle.net Mobile Authenticator to me?

Just like any other FOB you have a password+random# so you can't really get hacked. It just gives you the # on your iPhone I'd assume.

Akia

Wollan said:
Can anybody quickly explain the purpose of the iPhone Battle.net Mobile Authenticator to me?

It's a phone app version of the physical authenticator Blizzard sells for WoW. Once you set it up, at login you'd have to enter your username, password and key code (generated from the Authenticator app). Its to safe guard you from people stealing your login (which happens alot to people in WoW).

Akia said:
They also have a build order with what you built and the times.

It would be really cool if they had a button you could click to toggle that build order screen between time build and number of workers currently produced. I think of SC build orders as "pylon on 8, nexus on 12", not in terms of time elapsed (though that is really important too, which is why it would be nice to have both).

Akia

David Kim is awesome. I love how he always wins whenever they show off the game.

There's probably going to be a rare "I Defeated David Kim" b.net achievement when the game comes out.

Zzoram

Blizzard put an NDA on the people playing SC2 right now until next Monday. So I guess the new rumour is that next Monday is when the Beta starts.

Zzoram

Is GAF super slow and getting 500 errors for anyone else? It's not NPD day, so why is this place collapsing on itself?

epmode

Wollan said:
So you get assigned a unique code for each login, kinda like how you deal with online banking? I see.
Yeah. I just got the Blizzard Authenticator in the mail and it's pretty neat. Problem is, I don't have much use for it since dropping WoW.

I'd love to have one of those for my Steam account. Christ, I'd lose so much if it were hacked.

Tenks

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with memorizing all the archaic nuances and bug-features that plague ICCup and progaming Starcraft such as magic boxes, patrol-fire, air stacks, drills ... the list is endless.

Now I have a whole new laundry list of them to re-memorize :p

Zzoram

Slayer-33 said:
wat wat wat!

Either that or the put an NDA on when they plan to make the announcement of when the beta starts. Wouldn't be that unusual for a game company these days :lol

Won

Zzoram said:
Blizzard put an NDA on the people playing SC2 right now until next Monday. So I guess the new rumour is that next Monday is when the Beta starts.

Ohhhhhhh.....ahhhhhhh....uhhhhhhhh.

TurtleSnatcher said:
I have a Blizzcon key so I'm stoked!

You have to share the love!

Tenks

Zzoram said:
Be chosen press, have Blizzcon 08 code, or be a select top Starcraft gamer for Wave 1. Opt-in via their Battle.net website for Wave 2.

You could have also made a cake

Zzoram

Tenks said:
You could have also made a cake

10_kesz_SCnezet.jpg

This guy deserves his Wave 1 codes.

Akia

Apparently there was supposed to be an announcement today but it was postponed. link

Zzoram said:
Be chosen press, have Blizzcon 08 code, or be a select top Starcraft gamer for Wave 1. Opt-in via their Battle.net website for Wave 2.
Where did you read that?

Tenks

I think if I got in the beta my penis would explode from being engorged with gallons of blood and it would be damn worth it

Guled

Zzoram said:
so if the beta starts next week, only the press, blizzcon 08 ppl, and pros get in?

Tenks

Cowie said:
If they did the waves all together.. would they be waves at all?

Whoa deep

Hopefully Blizzard snoops into my B.NET account and realizes my CD-Key for SC is from the initial printing. Actually semi-funny story my neighbor worked for Sierra/Blizzard back in the day and gave me a retail copy of SC about a week before the launch of the game. Said a box full of them arrived at the office so he just snagged one for me.

Akia

Cowie said:
If they did the waves all together.. would they be waves at all?

There are probably going to be multiple instances of Wave 2 as the beta goes along. I don't think there are only 2 waves.

epmode

momolicious said:
I dont think anybody has to worry... just think about Warcraft 3 beta, almost everyone got in.
Well, the last Blizzard beta (Wrath of the Lich King) was pretty exclusive. Until the last few weeks, anyway.

Rogosh

Who knows, I opted in a long time ago and they have my systems specs but my account does not have that icon. Might indicate selection, but that's only speculation.

Blackface

Banned
Rogosh said:
Who knows, I opted in a long time ago and they have my systems specs but my account does not have that icon. Might indicate selection, but that's only speculation.

Pretty sure the icon only shows up on the KR version of the site, and not normal battlenet.

hobart

Just for further confirmation...

The SC2 b.net icon shows up *only* on my kr.battle.net profile and *not* my us.battle.net profile.

DaveKap

Banned
Just read about that June 19th thing... and it turns out my editor submitted my information to Blizzard on the 20th. :| Hope I get in thanks to regular opt-in!

TheExodu5

Banned
Wollan said:
I just logged onto Battle.net with my Mobile Authenticator. This is so hot.

Awesome. I might get the app.

Question, what happens if I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch down the road? Is there a way to turn the authentication feature off, or is it there permanently?

edit: hmmm...looks like if you somehow lose your iPhone, or lose the application on your iPhone, you could get locked out of your account permanently. I think I'd fear that more than getting hacked.

i hope europe is in wave 3 or 4 and i hope i finaly get into a blizzard beta :D (only got into the WoW 7 days Beta which lasted for 10 days!

This is so exciting. Starcraft II is getting more and more real. I can't wait to deliver the apology message to my friends when this finally drops retail. I will be missing for weeks :D

Top Bottom