• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Big-E said:
Everyone with the icon better get into the Beta or else Blizzard just created one of the biggest cock teases in the history of the industry.
Blizzard is probably one of the few companies who can send people into panic just buy putting an icon on a website.

Its there for my account as well. So i am definitely waiting on an invite here blizz

dygiT said:
You're only setting yourself up for disappointment. :(

ninjaturtle.jpg

clay_m2ness-1.gif

calder

The depth, gameplay and sheer polish of this icon just screams "Blizzard" to me.

Very very happy with the icon so far.

Anyone want to play Starcraft and rack up some wins RIGHT NOW? USEast - username Mosaic.

I must prepare my RTS skills for the Beta! I better get in! =(

Tenks

calder said:
The depth, gameplay and sheer polish of this icon just screams "Blizzard" to me.

Fuck that I've seen that exact same icon on numerous developer sites. Blizzard just stole it and put on a new color scheme and added a bit of AA. INVENT SOMETIME YOU SCRUBS.

Raide

calder said:

Not dark enough, needs less colours. Also needs petition making to complain about the fact. Needs Unicorns too.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
undecided if i'll upgrade my PC for SC2.

i'll see how it runs and make a decision from there. the time of windows 7 release will also influence my decision to upgrade.

as for beta news.... uhm, has anyone seen the SC2 beta icon in their battle.net profile?

yeah..... it needs to be monday (tuesday my time) already. :(

My sister just registered a game on her brand new battle.net account and she got the SC2 beta icon before she even downloaded the thing to scan your computer's stats.

Seems to be pretty indiscriminate :lol

Kamillio

Neo Member
Unfortunately I don't think we'll be seeing much tomorrow. Maybe some new B.net 2.0 features and latest build impressions, but I don't think we'll be seeing anything concerning the beta.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Soo, I hear that some kind of Press Embargo is going to be lifted at Midnight. I assume Pacific Time. Hopefully as soon as it turns 12:00 we see a flood of new info.

just played some starcraft 1 with my sister online. i really suck at this game, hopefully i can find some other people who suck on Gaf or something. i imagine the community will be a little more mainstream than the current community for starcraft, which consists of just the hardcore pros hangin' on to their favorite game.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Malfunky said:
1 hour 15 minutes until the NDAs are up. Brace yourself for dissapointment!
Will there be more online previews of them game then?

Malfunky

godhandiscen said:
Will there be more online previews of them game then?

Maybe. A bunch of press/fansites went to Blizzard and signed NDAs that lift tomorrow. Nobody knows what the NDAs cover or what they all saw. I think it had something to do with the new Battle.net, so that's my guess.

Zzoram

I can't believe they embargoed that stuff for a week. It is completely stuff we already knew, with slightly more detail.

Even worse, instead of a Beta announcement, we get confirmation that they are removing LAN support. Professional Starcraft and high level play is completely built on LAN latency. Battle.net is just too laggy for good micro, unless Battle.net2 is as good as LAN.

Zzoram

Apparently this is what happened last week:

"Hey! Come on over and we'll show you the new B.net and Single Player!" Then everyone showed up and they go: "Oh gee well, we found this new bug in the B.net server so we don't want to show you it. Same goes for the Single Player. OH BUT LOOK! New Obs Mode!! Ohhh shiney!!"

Then they felt the need to embargo the mostly old info for a week, to make it seem like it was something interesting. Pretty lame Blizzard. Pretty lame.

Zzoram

... according to senior vice president of game design, Pardo,.... has also revealed that the development team "don't have any plans to support LAN" (Local Area Networking), and clarified saying "we will not support it." This is an interesting statement, since the easy LAN functionality of the original game is one of the reasons it became so big in the first place. Current communities like iCCup, using StarCraft mods to host games are considered "pirate servers" by Blizzard, and Pardo wants to see those services shut down.

Lame Blizzard. Even more lame. iCCup is the only place to play high level StarCraft Broodwar in LAN latency, with a functioning ladder, and where everyone isn't a bad mannered hacker.

If they mean they don't want iCCup for Starcraft 2, I understand that, and iCCup wouldn't bother since it'll be a new game with an active Battle.net ladder, but they better not touch it for Broodwar, since Blizzard doesn't even support it with a Ladder anymore.

Nocebo

No LAN play for an RTS? What the hell? Did I just step into an alternate reality where this is somehow supposed to make sense?

oh Blizzard... You're a funny bunch.

"lol lets make the fans piss themselves in anticipation, only to crush their dreams :lol lulz"

fuck you

Aaron

Nocebo said:
No LAN play for an RTS? What the hell? Did I just step into an alternate reality where this is somehow supposed to make sense?
Yeah, I find it hard to believe this is true when it's clearly a terrible, terrible idea.

Acidote

O_O

I can't f****** believe they're removing LAN.

Lame move Blizzard. You're handling SC2 from bad to worse between the trilogy crap and this.

Zzoram

It's quite apparent that they want full control of any Starcraft 2 professional scene, and removing LAN will ensure that. All Korean leagues will have to register and be run through them, probably so that they can charge them a bunch of money.

Nocebo

I guess that would make it harder for pirates to play online too. It's sort of understandable but the idea still seems unworldly.

Zzoram

Nocebo said:
I guess that would make it harder for pirates to play online too. It's sort of understandable but the idea still seems unworldly.

If they announce a Battle.net2 subscription model to play online, I am so out, great game or not.

dLMN8R

My guess is that they'll replace LAN play with some sort of smart peer-to-peer detection coordinated through Battle.net that:

1) Secures things so that pirates can't play via LAN using one of those utilities
2) Players who are indeed on a LAN ends up with a direct connection that's just as fast and low-latency as if it were a Starcraft LAN game.

And :lol no, Battle.net is not going to be a for-pay service. Maybe some sort of premium features, but not for regular play like what is in Starcraft.

Top Bottom