• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh for god's sake.

Tried to open up the game 3 replay from the tournament and now my Starcraft II is borked. Nothing happens through SC2 Manager and I can't even open the client without a generic error message.

This is so frustrating. =(

ZealousD

Okay, yep, I'm totally fucked.

I tried to reinstall SC2 and Blizzard disabled the ability to download newer patches.

Is there anybody out there who can record replays? I really want Game 3 of the beta tournament archived on YouTube with the other games but it's literally impossible for me to do so now. And we need it recorded BEFORE the beta starts back up, because the ability to watch old replays is going to get nuked.

ZealousD

Akia said:
Any chance of the beta opening back up this weekend?

Blizzard never does stuff during the weekend. Tuesday at the absolute earliest, and even then that's pushing it.

Tacitus_

ZealousD said:
Okay, yep, I'm totally fucked.

I tried to reinstall SC2 and Blizzard disabled the ability to download newer patches.

Is there anybody out there who can record replays? I really want Game 3 of the beta tournament archived on YouTube with the other games but it's literally impossible for me to do so now. And we need it recorded BEFORE the beta starts back up, because the ability to watch old replays is going to get nuked.

If you haven't fixed this yet, you're propably missing your realmlist file. Your support folder should have "realmlist.stf" and it should contain
Code:
set patchlist eu-beta.patch.battle.net:1120/patch
or whatever the US equivelent is. I reinstalled a couple of days ago and it refused to patch until I did this.

ZealousD

Tacitus_ said:
If you haven't fixed this yet, you're propably missing your realmlist file. Your support folder should have "realmlist.stf" and it should contain
Code:
set patchlist eu-beta.patch.battle.net:1120/patch
or whatever the US equivelent is. I reinstalled a couple of days ago and it refused to patch until I did this.

Well I made a new file called "realmlist.stf", put it in the support folder, and put in that line, simply swapping out EU for US. Didn't do anything.

Can any US gaffers tell me what their realmlist file contains? Or maybe host it up somewhere so I can download it?

ZealousD

Can you host it onto a file sharing service or something? Maybe just the way I made the file made it not work?

Any word yet on when the beta will reopen? I miss you guys already! I really hope GAF has a strong SC2 community for a long time after the game launches. I plan to spend a lot of time on there. Much more than I have on beta, at least.

Oh and ZealousD, I was wondering if you might want to commentate with me. I think Panda wanted to do something as well. Anyway, let me know what you think of the idea.

keuja

So anyone knows what the pro players think of SC2?
And how is the reception in Korea?

I've seen some complaints about the micro and macro but at my level I enjoy it much more than SC1, precisely because of the less cumbersome gameplay. I like the fact that you can focus more on the strategy rather than on the small macro tasks.

ZealousD

Bisonian said:
Check your PM box.

Well, your file had an extra 2 bytes, but that didn't fix the problem. =/

FromTheFuture said:
Oh and ZealousD, I was wondering if you might want to commentate with me. I think Panda wanted to do something as well. Anyway, let me know what you think of the idea.

Yeah Panda was talking about commentating some matches from the tournament, but I think he got too distracted by his loli collection or something. Never followed through. =P

Do you still have your old SCII Installation? If so keep that and ask someone here who is nice enough to upload their StarCraft II.exe so you can replace it. If you can pinpoint another file that is the problem then ask them to upload that instead.

Its not a hard fix provided you are not dumb enough to remove the old installation.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
Yeah Panda was talking about commentating some matches from the tournament, but I think he got too distracted by his loli collection or something. Never followed through. =P
its not my fault ssf4 came out with new lolis. >_>

im still open to the idea.

Zertez

keuja said:
So anyone knows what the pro players think of SC2?
And how is the reception in Korea?

I've seen some complaints about the micro and macro but at my level I enjoy it much more than SC1, precisely because of the less cumbersome gameplay. I like the fact that you can focus more on the strategy rather than on the small macro tasks.
The pro players Ive seen that have made the switch like SC2 a lot, Idra, White-Ra, Tester. There is a few interviews with Idra and Tester about their thoughts on the game and reception in Korea. I believe Artosis was the one to interview them. The videos are on SCforall.

Tacitus_

ZealousD said:
Well, your file had an extra 2 bytes, but that didn't fix the problem. =/

I created the file in notepad and saved it as .stf -- this is a wild shot, but try to patch it from the EU servers, not sure if you need an EU client for it though. I think someone posted on Nibbits that the EU patching works if US doesn't.

syoaran

recovering after an op sucks - without SCII it sucks even more. Glad its only 3 weeks away to get my campaign fix. Might go back to watch a lot of Youtube vid's to work on my strat's over the day.

Edit - Ooo, Cataclysm beta key. Ok - not so bored anymore ~

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
aznpxdd said:
So the leaked SC2 copy, can he even play the single player mode??
Last time I checked it would not even let him install the game. Not sure if anyone got around it yet though.

ZealousD

Do you need a refresh of the entire Starcraft 1 storyline? I've got you covered.

In order to justify Fraps while my SC2 is broken, I've started a project where I record all the major story dialogue from both the original Starcraft and Brood War. I've already got the first three campaigns up, and the next three will be ready in the next couple of days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ukO4UVB54

Milabrega

I was hoping someone would do a youtube video covering the story of Starcraft, Brood War and maybe the books. But damn Zealous recording everything, that'll be like watching the LOTR trilogy. Nice job, and good job with the coverage of the tourney finals too.

Getting close to release and still haven't built my new PC. Been waiting 9 months now for a price drop on the parts I want and still nothing. Cutting it close but I feel I've held out this long may as well wait it out.

Bisonian

ZealousD said:
Do you need a refresh of the entire Starcraft 1 storyline? I've got you covered.

In order to justify Fraps while my SC2 is broken, I've started a project where I record all the major story dialogue from both the original Starcraft and Brood War. I've already got the first three campaigns up, and the next three will be ready in the next couple of days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7ukO4UVB54

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Practically at the same time.

ZealousD

Milabrega said:
I was hoping someone would do a youtube video covering the story of Starcraft, Brood War and maybe the books. But damn Zealous recording everything, that'll be like watching the LOTR trilogy

Each campaign is coming out at around 30 minutes a piece (and that's almost entirely dialogue). So yeah, that's about 3 hours right there.

Although I am cheating a bit. Literally. "power overwhelming"... "show me the money"... :lol

My brain kinda schizzed over Brood War. I totally didn't understand what the hell was going on. Apparantly the Dark Templar woke up from the Emerald Dream and the queen wanted to... something. Then the Earth came and they were identical to the non-Earthling humies except they had Valkyries. And Fenix and Duke had to... Kerrigan. And then that one dude with the french name... And in the end, the Xel'Naga were cylons too.

ZealousD

Son of Godzilla said:
My brain kinda schizzed over Brood War. I totally didn't understand what the hell was going on. Apparantly the Dark Templar woke up from the Emerald Dream and the queen wanted to... something. Then the Earth came and they were identical to the non-Earthling humies except they had Valkyries. And Fenix and Duke had to... Kerrigan. And then that one dude with the french name... And in the end, the Xel'Naga were cylons too.

Bit of a shame. Brood War had all the Kerrigan backstabbing awesomeness. Maybe once I get those videos uploaded you'll understand it better.

Although I do think that bringing the UED into the narrative was a bit of a mistake. It's never quite explained why they use local tech, and they don't make as lasting of an impact onto the narrative as they should.

So uh, I'm tempted to get the CE. I've never bought a Blizzard CE and I hear it's a religious experience. $40 is a lot of bones to throw away though. And I'd make use out of approximately zilch of it. But still, it's massive bulk is calling to me.

Spike

Son of Godzilla said:
So uh, I'm tempted to get the CE. I've never bought a Blizzard CE and I hear it's a religious experience. $40 is a lot of bones to throw away though. And I'd make use out of approximately zilch of it. But still, it's massive bulk is calling to me.

I have it ordered, and I'm thinking of just dropping down to the regular edition.

Top Bottom